Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

But I remember Amy saying that only 2 3rd year vets are re-auditioning?

I'm guessing then with all these retirements, she will be a 2nd leader and move up-maybe in Cersten's spot?

Amy will be going for her fourth year, so she may end up a group leader. I hope Jinelle comes back. She may not be the best dancer on the squad, but she is down to earth, a good leader, and a great spokesperson for the squad and the DC Organization.

18 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:
Stars in the future sounds like Allstars. 

Why does she say incredible 3 years but then last game as a 2 yr vet and last official game as a DCC?

1 minute ago, MrsEVH said:

Why does she say incredible 3 years but then last game as a 2 yr vet and last official game as a DCC?

I think she’s describing the photographs in her post.

14 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

She spent 3 years on the team, 1 as a rookie and 2 as a veteran. So during her third year and last game she was on her second year as a veteran, aka 2 year vet.

• Love 2

I see that Cersten got into med school in Mexico. Good luck with that. She tried to up play it and how she knows someone who went to school there that ended up matching at Harvard. Wrong! He matched with UMNDJ and later went to Harvard for fellowship. It looks like from their outcomes that it doesn't look well for Cersten. She will probably claim she is a doctor now just like she illegal claims to be a nurse.

Here is a good thread about the school she got into.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-at-uag-pros-and-cons-resident-docs-what-are-your-thoughts.1276163/

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, WichitaStateShock said:

I see that Cersten got into med school in Mexico. Good luck with that.

She also plans to transfer to the US after 2 years, LOL good luck with that as well.  Purty Certi RN will be in for a rude awakening.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, WichitaStateShock said:

I see that Cersten got into med school in Mexico. Good luck with that. She tried to up play it and how she knows someone who went to school there that ended up matching at Harvard. Wrong! He matched with UMNDJ and later went to Harvard for fellowship. It looks like from their outcomes that it doesn't look well for Cersten. She will probably claim she is a doctor now just like she illegal claims to be a nurse.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-at-uag-pros-and-cons-resident-docs-what-are-your-thoughts.1276163/

You still have to match for a fellowship right? I’m not sure why her statement about the doctor matching at Harvard is incorrect...

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, WichitaStateShock said:

You are right but it is less based of med school and more based on residency at the time.

Gotcha. Though I do think it shows that going to this med school is not a death knell for a legitimate career as a doctor. She’ll definitely need to do very well, as I’m sure the doctor who she referenced did. That’s a pitfall that I think a lot of people fall into at less prestigious, lower ranked schools. They assume it’s easy, and next thing they know, they’re in the bottom half of the class. Likewise, I’m not sure if med schools are the same, but when it comes to law schools, many of the lower ranked schools have tougher curves than the Top 20-25 schools. So those students kind of get hit in another way, on top of being at a less prestigious school.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WichitaStateShock said:

Mexico???  Why not the US?

19 minutes ago, MssdDrms said:

Mexico???  Why not the US?

She couldn't pass the MCAT. Tells you how "smart" she is. Everyone in the medical profession knows those Carribbean & Mexican medical schools are for those who couldn't pass muster in the U.S. for a real degree. She and her snotty attitude can go have a wonderful time in Mexico and see just how far it takes her in the real world. I hope to God she doesn't harm any future patients.

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

She couldn’t get into one here. 

Mexico/Carribean = Basically Plan B when all Plan A options fail. 

So when she is back here and practicing medicine, she’s a subpar physician.  My, my, my!

• Love 3

Late to the party, but if Cersten is only now going to med school, why has she been saying she is already a nurse? She said it so many times on Instagram and even on her DCC profile (I see it is edited now though).

I think it looks bad on Kelli and Judy that they let someone lie about their qualifications. I thought they had more integrity than that.

Perhaps things are different in the UK, but here you have to finish med school before you are actually a nurse, you can’t just pretend to be one because you WANT to be one!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

She also plans to transfer to the US after 2 years, LOL good luck with that as well.  Purty Certi RN will be in for a rude awakening.

#FreeCersten #LetCerstenLive

Why tear her down for pursuing her dreams? Why does the school she attends matter so much to you guys?

• Love 17

Wow. There is a lot of Cersten hate going on. Medical school is ridiculously hard to get into. It is highly competitive and many people don’t get in. I know a couple of very smart people who went to schools in the Caribbean and were matched because they excelled. A medical degree is a medical degree. You have to pass the same exams to practice as someone who goes to Johns Hopkins. Some schools afford graduates with more opportunities due to prestige, others you have to work a bit harder for the same opportunities. Getting into medical school period is something to be proud of.

• Love 16
31 minutes ago, LegallyReasonable said:

Wow. There is a lot of Cersten hate going on. Medical school is ridiculously hard to get into. It is highly competitive and many people don’t get in. I know a couple of very smart people who went to schools in the Caribbean and were matched because they excelled. A medical degree is a medical degree. You have to pass the same exams to practice as someone who goes to Johns Hopkins. Some schools afford graduates with more opportunities due to prestige, others you have to work a bit harder for the same opportunities. Getting into medical school period is something to be proud of.

And a nursing degree is a nursing degree. I wasn’t attempting to hate on Cersten, but she brought judgment on herself when she decided wearing scrubs was enough to call herself a nurse when she should know better. Guaranteed she won’t like someone calling themselves a doctor when she ultimately finishes her degree and residency. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, HowdeeDo said:

And a nursing degree is a nursing degree. I wasn’t attempting to hate on Cersten, but she brought judgment on herself when she decided wearing scrubs was enough to call herself a nurse when she should know better. Guaranteed she won’t like someone calling themselves a doctor when she ultimately finishes her degree and residency. 

This x100. She was pretending to be a nurse which is illegal. To be honest, she is going to be in debt 200,000 dollars and some of those from the carribean and Mexico schools do not get jobs and struggle with passing the boards. It is an easy choice for her to do this because she chooses not to try hard. Med school is not actually THAT hard to get into. Most let more in and then let them self eliminate. PhD clinical psych programs  (universities) typically take about 4 to 8 people out of hundreds. It is hard to get into those programs than med school. 

Edited by WichitaStateShock
  • Love 3

Regarding outcomes with Mexico med school

84 US IMG's who attended medical school in Mexico matched into a US residency in the 2013 match.
77 US citizens who attended school in Mexico and were eligible for the Match, did not. Chart 15: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP-ECFMG-Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf

One should only attend medical school in Mexico if the prospect of practicing there is pleasing. Even odds are that's exactly what may happen.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, milehigh said:

Why tear her down for pursuing her dreams? Why does the school she attends matter so much to you guys?

I'm not tearing her down for pursuing her dreams, I'm tearing her down for being unethical and a liar.  If she's lying about being a nurse, I'm sure she's lying about other things as well.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, LegallyReasonable said:

Didn’t mean to hate on Cersten.  I just thought it was odd anyone would choose to go to school in Mexico over the US.  She may get a great education there....God knows most public universities here are overpriced and has become so political it’s  a miracle anyone comes out with a quality education. 

Edited by MssdDrms
Spelled a word wrong...pet peeve of mine
12 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Cersten also called herself a Physican Assistant on her LinkedIn resume.... 

A PA and a person who assists physicians is NOT the same thing. 

I just looked at her LinkedIn and she does list a lot of professions. Surgical Tech, Medical Assistant, Physician Assistant...etc. It’s odd because she doesn’t also list the corresponding certifications for those roles. No idea what is going on there. 

• Love 6

No offense to Cersten, but I do not believe she is a physician assistant. A person has to have post bachelor degree training to become one. My primary care provider is one, and I saw one at the GI Clinic for digestive issues, and I believe both have a master degree. Not saying she is doing some form of medical work, but to list a lot of professions after graduating from college with a bachelor degree does seem a little odd. She was not my cup of tea as a DCC, but I wish her luck with whatever she ends up doing post DCC.

Edited by bigskygirl

I have been on this forum since I don't even know when, long before I even started posting a few years ago! Generally I just read & like comments, but I can't hold it in any longer. Hahaha.  I am SO happy Cersten is leaving.  I think she is a liar and a phony and I am offended as an RN and an APRN on all levels.  She is not a nurse, she is not a PA.  Even when she is great in the dances, knowing she is such a liar just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, omgtv said:

I have been on this forum since I don't even know when, long before I even started posting a few years ago! Generally I just read & like comments, but I can't hold it in any longer. Hahaha.  I am SO happy Cersten is leaving.  I think she is a liar and a phony and I am offended as an RN and an APRN on all levels.  She is not a nurse, she is not a PA.  Even when she is great in the dances, knowing she is such a liar just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.  

Amen glad someone said it!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, lfedncr said:

Amen glad someone said it!

Wow, we actually agree on something! Hasta luego, Cersten. 

PS Cersten, your name bothers me. Do you parents hate you? They're not hooked on phonics.

Edited by DanceChick
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, LegallyReasonable said:

A medical degree is a medical degree. You have to pass the same exams to practice as someone who goes to Johns Hopkins. 

No, a medical degree is not a medical degree when it is obtained outside of the United States. Considering she couldn't even pass the MCAT to get IN to a U.S. med school, I doubt she's going to do well in actual med school (whether in Mexico or elsewhere). Mexican and Carribbean medical schools have a notorious reputation of taking anyone with a pulse and a promissory note into their programs and churn out students at an alarming rate. Very little vetting, and typically sub-standard education. I work in the medical profession and it is HIGHLY frowned upon to hire grads from those schools, especially in hospitals. She may be able to get her foot in the door in private practice through connections (if she even graduates), but that's about the only way she's going to get in to practice.

• Love 11

Just to set the record straight about going to school in Guadalajara. There are many more residency spots than there are yearly US med grads. Literally, hundreds of spots go unfilled. And at some good places too. It has to do with the complicated algorithm they use for the match. After the match, is what is called the scramble. Unmatched applicants start calling for spots. The surgical specialties are hard to scramble for, but it can be done. However, there are tons of spots in internal medicine,  peds, and family practice. This is where students from Guadalajara get their spots.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, hypeman said:

Just to set the record straight about going to school in Guadalajara. There are many more residency spots than there are yearly US med grads. Literally, hundreds of spots go unfilled. And at some good places too. It has to do with the complicated algorithm they use for the match. After the match, is what is called the scramble. Unmatched applicants start calling for spots. The surgical specialties are hard to scramble for, but it can be done. However, there are tons of spots in internal medicine,  peds, and family practice. This is where students from Guadalajara get their spots.

The match process is crazy! We use it for clinical psych internships  (same company that does the match for residency). In clinical psych there are more people applying than spots available which makes the school you go to more important. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

No offense to Cersten, but I do not believe she is a physician assistant. A person has to have post bachelor degree training to become one.

That is correct.  The closest program to me, Drexel Univ, is 4 years (totaling 117-120 credits) with a 5th year of clinical rotations.  You can't become a PA just by having a degree in biology...and you can't randomly call yourself one either!

http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/collegeofnursingandhealthprofessions/physicianassistantcon/#degreerequirementstext

8 hours ago, omgtv said:

I am offended as an RN and an APRN on all levels. 

I don't blame you.  I'm not familiar with the APRN designation, what does it entail?

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, ByTor said:

That is correct.  The closest program to me, Drexel Univ, is 4 years (totaling 117-120 credits) with a 5th year of clinical rotations.  You can't become a PA just by having a degree in biology...and you can't randomly call yourself one either!

http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/collegeofnursingandhealthprofessions/physicianassistantcon/#degreerequirementstext

I don't blame you.  I'm not familiar with the APRN designation, what does it entail?

APRN = advanced practice registered nurse.  It encompasses all the RN advanced practice designations (CRNA, NP, CNM, and CNS).

Count me as another RN that is happy to see Cersten go. #byefelicia

• Love 8
11 hours ago, omgtv said:

Thank you! As someone who has survived the horrors of nursing school, all the many science and chemistry classes, clinicals, passing boards...I always liked Cersten. When she started calling herself a nurse, I was OUT. Nursing school is HARD. A Physician Assistant goes through even harder schooling, a medical assistant and a surgical tech also require schooling. It's no wonder she didn't get into med school in the US if she is claiming all these titles illegally. I've worked with some doctors who have gone to school in these programs like she got into. It is definitely NOT the same, the education is completely different and they do not do the grueling residencies as we do here in the US. 

• Love 9

At the end of the day, would you go see a doctor who went to medical school in Mexico because they couldn’t get into one here, or would you go to a doctor who did their schooling here? I mean, there’s a reason people come to the USA from all over the world for medical care. My mom is a retired nurse and she’s had royalty as patients who came here for the best. 

I missed all the masquerading as a nurse. Buh buy Cersten. 

• Love 1

I have been to doctors who went to medical school in the states and believe me I would not go back to see them because of their poor skills and bad bedside manner. We have had patients coming from Canada to Great Falls for prenatal and delivery care because Great Falls has one of the best hospitals for premature babies and mothers with serious pregnancy issues.

I probably would not go to Cersten for medical care because something about her listing of what she does medical skill wise does not set well with me. After what I have been through the last five years health wise, I am very picky about who I see because I have already dealt with doctors who do not know what the heck they are doing.

At the end of the day, I’m not going to tear her down for pursuing her dreams. She’s going to medical school. Full stop. I know a couple of people who went to Carribean/Mexican medical schools who DID get residencies here so it’s not impossible. I just don’t think I have a right to judge her on that.

But, the way she uses titles without holding the required certifications or education is wrong. Who knows why she’s doing it, but I’d hope at this point someone in a professional setting had pointed it out to her. She has to have a mentor of some sort or people who gave her recommendations for her application to med school. I do hope she does not ruin her career by calling herself a doctor prematurely, though.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, omgtv said:

Agreed! As a nurse, it makes me so mad that she throws around that she's a nurse or pa.... and if you ask her about it she literally says "that's the job I was hired for ?‍♀️"---> with that emoji and everything! She's a fraud in my book 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, LegallyReasonable said:

At the end of the day, I’m not going to tear her down for pursuing her dreams. She’s going to medical school. Full stop. I know a couple of people who went to Carribean/Mexican medical schools who DID get residencies here so it’s not impossible. I just don’t think I have a right to judge her on that.

But, the way she uses titles without holding the required certifications or education is wrong. Who knows why she’s doing it, but I’d hope at this point someone in a professional setting had pointed it out to her. She has to have a mentor of some sort or people who gave her recommendations for her application to med school. I do hope she does not ruin her career by calling herself a doctor prematurely, though.

Her school says a bachelor's degree is optional. Getting into this school is not an accomplishment. 

• Love 14

The school discussion reminds me of the first episode of Designing Women where Julia, Charlene and Mary Jo were discussing Mary Jo's divorce and her ex husband. Charlene brought up the fact Mary Jo worked to help put her husband through medical school. Julia said he owes her for her working to help him and ask her where he went to school. Mary Jo said a medical school some place in Mexico, and Julia said okay maybe he does not owe you anything.

What I found interesting while listening the podcast on Wednesday was the fact Shannon ask her if she was going to study to be a nurse when she goes to medical school. Hello! I have not heard of a student going to medical school to become a nurse. I know Judy and especially Kelli like girls who go onto college and get their degrees, but I wonder if they are secretly glad Cersten is not trying out again because if the heated discussion behind the scene aka where she is going to school and calling herself a nurse, surgical tech etc. etc.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

What I found interesting while listening the podcast on Wednesday was the fact Shannon ask her if she was going to study to be a nurse when she goes to medical school.

I think there are people out there who do not know what "medical school" means.  Years ago I recall someone telling me she was going to "medical school" and it turned out she went to a school for their CNA program.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3

My understanding of some of the Caribbean and Mexican medical schools is that, although the requisites to enter are quite a bit less stringent (there are some that are practically open-entry, although I have no knowledge of the school Cersten chose), the licensing exams to enter practice in the United States are exactly the same.  Furthermore, although you can technically legally practice as a physician in the United States once your licensing exams are passed, you must still obtain an intern-level position (generally for at least a year) prior to matriculating into a full-on residency, graduation from which is required in order to take the Board exams for that given specialty.  If you first of all obtain a residency - and then proceed to survive your residency - you are almost certainly going to have every potential to be a perfectly competent physician. 

Unfortunately, this is where many graduates from Caribbean and Mexican programs fall down, as their academic profiles and scores are far below standard - which again, is not to say Cersten's will be.  She will just have to work much harder for the same outstanding scores, since the infrastructure of the Caribbean and Mexican medical systems is not typically set up to provide the best chance of excelling there.  This is also incidentally what gives them the ability to boast about excellent graduate placement - students generally get a trial-by-fire and either do exceptionally well on Step I, II, and III, or simply fail out, with (as one person said) around $200,000 worth of student debt.  I hope for Cersten's sake she keeps her head down and stays focused on what matters to her, so that she can do well and earn what she's been dreaming of.  I'm quite certain her clinical experience will help her here.  

However.    

Even though I think it is highly unlikely that she was deliberately lying about her credentials (to me, it makes far more sense that she is simply doing exactly what she said, which is listing the job title for which she was hired), the fact that she is doing so is completely tone deaf to critical members of her future medical team should she succeed and pass.  Nursing is a specialized skill that requires an extremely involved training process and certification, as is being a Physician's Assistant (to be a PA, you have a three and a half year post-graduate program - and admission to those programs is usually even more competitive than admission to medical school!).  The fact (?) that her job title states "nurse" doesn't mean she is one - and as we have seen over many pages on this board, a glib assumption that your hired position somehow equates to the title that goes with hard-won licensure and training is seriously incendiary to professionals who have worked their asses off achieving it.  It implies serious ignorance, and a grave misunderstanding of other critical medical and health care professionals.  And if you think you can piss off nurses and successfully work in the medical field, you're going to have a bad time.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, raindancer said:

PA, you have a three and a half year post-graduate program - and admission to those programs is usually even more competitive than admission to medical school

PA is only one year post graduate (it's a 5 year program).

4 minutes ago, raindancer said:

Hmm....every school I've ever looked at to be a PA (I had considered applying at one point) is between 2-3 1/2 years:  http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/sites/pa/curriculum/timeline.html

https://www.bcm.edu/education/schools/school-of-allied-health-sciences/programs/physician-assistant/curriculum

King's College (my cousin's daughter is in that program) is 5 years, as is Drexel (I posted the curriculum somewhere on this board).  PSU is 2 years post graduate, but they don't have a PA program that you enter as a freshman, it's a 2 year master's program at their medical school.  I think Duke is structured like PSU as well.

Edited by ByTor
16 minutes ago, ByTor said:

PA is only one year post graduate (it's a 5 year program).

There are some 5 year programs out there (almost all up north) but the vast majority are 2.5 years post-grad

Edited by Roo22
  • Love 1