Type keyword(s) to search

A revival rewatch??

• Start Topic

So it’s pretty quiet here and I hope you won’t mind me starting a new thread. Since it’s been almost a year (it was last year right?) since the revival episodes were released, and some of us vowed never to watch/rewatch, anyone interested in walking that back and doing a rewatch. Technically I never finished the episode with the wookie hookup because I fell asleep but still and all I’ll just start from the beginning. 

I know there are still active individual episode threads but it might be nice to get a specific revival Rewatch thread going.

unless the mods are against it, I will post again here as i rewatch. Probably rewatching revival Ep 1 this weekend. Unsure if I’ll binge or not.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

No thanks. I hated every second of it.  But I think that there are those who don't feel as strongly as I do so good luck.

No, I didn't hate it at all. There were parts that I felt were too long but overall I enjoyed it and have rewatched a few times.

• Love 1

I will be rewatching it when the DVDs are released later this month! I'd love to discuss it if people here are up for that since I missed most of the conversation when it first aired, but you all should be warned that I am the one person in the world who actually liked it a lot, so my posts will have you all shaking your heads and wondering whether I've consumed too much of Miss Patty's punch. Does anyone know if the DVDs will have any extras? I already preordered them anyway, but if they have anything other than just the four episodes, I'll feel less guilty about spending the money. 

Even I will happily skip some parts of AYITL, though, like where they mock overweight people at the pool and think it's hilarious that Rory treats Paul like complete dirt. Be better than that, ASP. 

The holidays tend to be a bleak time of year for me, so if anyone else is in the mood to rewatch then - even if it's just to make fun of it - please count me in! 

While I didn't hate all of it,there was probably more I didn't like then I did. I have to admit I have no interest in rewatching it.

Even I will happily skip some parts of AYITL, though, like where they mock overweight people at the pool and think it's hilarious that Rory treats Paul like complete dirt. Be better than that, ASP. 

I didn't like those storylines. I think the pool stuff (minus the weight thing) could have been okay if they had the boys that were helping them be a town thing. Like they were working for Taylor to get money for their baseball team or something. But this was never said, so they just treated these kids like slaves for no reason.

And the Paul thing was dumb and mean.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, theotherhalliwell said:

I will be rewatching it when the DVDs are released later this month! I'd love to discuss it if people here are up for that since I missed most of the conversation when it first aired, but you all should be warned that I am the one person in the world who actually liked it a lot, so my posts will have you all shaking your heads and wondering whether I've consumed too much of Miss Patty's punch. Does anyone know if the DVDs will have any extras? I already preordered them anyway, but if they have anything other than just the four episodes, I'll feel less guilty about spending the money. 

The holidays tend to be a bleak time of year for me, so if anyone else is in the mood to rewatch then - even if it's just to make fun of it - please count me in! 

Oh yeah. I forgot that I pre-ordered. LOL. I'm curious about extras too. I sure hope they have some. I am in the camp of I enjoyed it and I have rewatched it a few times already. It varies if I skip parts or not. 

• Love 2

I've contemplated rewatching since I didn't give it my undivided attention the first time and it has been a year. But it was so long and painful and cringe-worthy in parts, even with my low expectations. Given the way the flaws of the main series stand out the more times you watch it, that doesn't bode well for the revival.  

As much fun as mocking it sounds, I don't have much faith I could shlogg through the whole thing again. Maybe if I watched in 30 minute increments . . . ?

Edited by nclpllm
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I've just started watching this on Netflix.  Made it through Season 1.  I'm determined to finish all of it.  I have strong opinions about one of the main characters, but want to at least see how season 2 plays out.

Don't let the second season discourage you - it gets better.

I guess what they say is true. And this is my opinion of course but people who dislike something are apt to be more vocal about it where as the people that like something generally don't say anything. 

That being said. Other than a few things. I enjoyed the revival and if they were to do another year I'd watch that too.

• Love 3

I just watched this for the first time over the last couple of days and I have mixed feelings. I really loved the open-ended ending and hope they don't do another year in the life. That's how ASP wanted to end the original series all those years ago, and that's where it should end now. Neat, tidy endings are overrated.

I was struck by how most people looked exactly the same. Lorelei and Luke looked a little older (but not ten years worth), and Luke had something strange going on with his hair, a toupee or Just For Men or something. I still love him though.

Alexis Bledel still can't act and is completely unconvincing as an adult. Some of her scenes gave me flashbacks to her cringeworthy Mad Men story arc. As for Rory, she really hasn't been an appealing character since she graduated from Chilton, and I have a weird sort of schadenfreude (considering that she's a fictional character) that she ended up unsuccessful in her career and living in her old bedroom at her mom's house. Mitchum was a dick, but he was right about her. And FFS, she needs to stop sleeping with men who are supposedly committed to other women.

Michel is still my favorite. Was he an openly gay character before? I don't remember, but I'm thinking not. The scenes where he interviews his potential replacements and tries to pretend to like children without seeming like a child molester were the highlight of the season.

Loved:

• Petal
  • Paul Anka (the dog, not the guy)
  • Petal and Paul Anka sharing a dog bed
  • Oooh-ber
  • Emily getting it all out at the DAR meeting
  • The park rangers
  • All the Richard stuff. It was a nice tribute to Edward Herrmann.
  • The clothes

Hated:

• Logan and his friends taking Rory out to a tango club and especially the farewell scene. Rory so cannot hang with this group.
  • The celebrity chefs. No way would Roy Choi and Ina Garten do pop-ups in a tiny inn in a tiny town.
  • Star's Hollow: The Musical. Good lord, that went on forever. I was afraid we were going to have to watch the whole thing.

Overall, I thought Winter and Spring were pretty good, Summer was a garbage episode, and Fall was a mixed bag. It was a decent enough six hours, but I'd rather rewatch the original series.

• Love 5
On 12/23/2017 at 10:51 PM, parrotfeathers said:

Frankly, Loralai's incessant talking just gets on my nerves.

She annoyed the living daylights out of me. Her inane chatter would have turned me of the show if I didn't wear out the mute button. I honestly don't know how anyone can be around her for long periods of time. I'd want to smack her after five minutes 

• Love 2

Definitely liking it even less. On Summer right now and Rory is horrible. She acts life she is so far above Stars Hollow responding to everyone welcoming her back not with a polite "thank you" but a snarly "not back!" She is making fun of everyone at the pool with her mom,especially regarding their weight. That's not Rory. And I can't stand how she looks down on the thirty something group as if she is any different than them. Then again, I suppose she is since they are all friends and she friends consist of Lane, and Paris who both have their own lives and don't spend much time with Rory, and of course her mom who, while better than Rory, is not as likeable as in the original series. 

And what on earth is the deal with the musical? I think I hate the Paladinos. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

She is making fun of everyone at the pool with her mom,especially regarding their weight. That's not Rory. And I can't stand how she looks down on the thirty something group as if she is any different than them.

I agree that she's no different from the thirty something group, but the fat shaming is classic Rory to me.  She compared a ballerina to a hippo her freshman year of college!

4 hours ago, deaja said:

I agree that she's no different from the thirty something group, but the fat shaming is classic Rory to me.  She compared a ballerina to a hippo her freshman year of college!

I suppose you are right.  I didn't think about that.  I just think about how Sookie is supposed to be Lorelai's best friend and she is carrying a few extra pounds.  Would they say those things about her? Just a terrible running joke.

3 hours ago, tarotx said:

Rory does acknowledge that she's apart of the 30something gang in the conversation with Lane at the end of summer.

I thought she was saying that as a joke but not like she thought she actually was one of them.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2018 at 7:57 AM, deaja said:

There was also the end of freshman year when she confronted Asher about wanting to earn her grade (isn't her integrity admirable?). She warns him against the redhead who was flirting with him at the book signing, "she has fat thighs." 

5 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

There was also the end of freshman year when she confronted Asher about wanting to earn her grade (isn't her integrity admirable?). She warns him against the redhead who was flirting with him at the book signing, "she has fat thighs." 

She was also raised by a mom who did a LOT of fat shaming over the course of the series.  So, not to get off topic, but that part seemed like vintage Gilmore Girls to me - the superiority complex, making fun of others, etc.

And when they couldn't comment on physical appearance, they insulted the other women's intelligence. Woo! Pro-women! Okay, sorry, that really is getting too off topic. Superiority complex, absolutely. 

Well, I finally started watching. I'm doing it 45 minutes at a time, on my tablet with earbuds. So it's in my face and ears. I don't mean to give the play-by-play, but I'm catching a lot of things I missed the first time. Kirk winked at Emily at dinner, made me laugh. Rory was wearing her red dress in Hamburg. That Shropeshire woman stole all the other restaurant patron's food. I had not realized Paris was telling Rory that she and Doyle were getting divorced. For some reason I thought it was freshly settled. 

I looked closer at Luke's hair since so many people commented on it. To be honest, I never thought his hair was good. So that probably would have slid by me again if I hadn't made a point to look.  

There was a common thread in Lorelai, Emily, Luke, and Logan's first scenes: they all had a compliment for Rory, usually the first thing they said. She looks amazing! So proud, and, that's a great kid you have. Great writer! Whatever Emily said, something about Rory's beauty I want to say. I forgot Miss Patty, she yelled her compliment from across the street. And here we complain about the bad continuity in this show. Back when a movie was still just a dream I had wondered if the showrunners would continue the cult of Rory, or if they'd have the self-awareness to know how much it annoyed people (and wasn't merited) . . . got my answer.

I just shook my head when Luke says he said, 'there's the kid' as a way to open a conversation of having a kid. Their communication is terrible. And I just laughed at the end of Logan and Rory's scene. They're horrible! What makes Rory so deserving?

I almost forgot about Paul, and it pains me to put it that way. That poor guy. That is no more hilarious than it was the first time. It just makes them look like crappy people. 

I have no sense of how much time is passing by in 90 minutes. Does the episode take place within the span of a couple weeks or so? Or spread over an entire season, therefore three months? 

Edited by nclpllm
1 hour ago, nclpllm said:

I almost forgot about Paul, and it pains me to put it that way. That poor guy. That is no more hilarious than it was the first time. It just makes them look like crappy people.

This whole ridiculous story line just set my teeth on edge from the beginning.  From that point forward I knew I was going to hate the whole thing.  And I did. 

If that was the best that ASP could start with, it was doomed from the get go for me.

• Love 2

Trying to research it only cemented how truly terrible it was.

And why the heck does Rory have that awful garish makeup on?  It looks so bad.  Just from the very first scene of Winter.

She looks way better in Handmaid's Tale.  So it's not that she aged badly.  

Just looks like she let my 3 year old daughter do her makeup.  Blindfolded.

I said this in another thread, but making Michel gay was lazy, lame, and tired.  I hate that they did this.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1

I remember reading an article when this first came out where they discussed who the father of Rory's baby was going to be.  How is that a question?  They talked about the possibility of it being to Wookie, Paul, or Logan.  Well, we can throw out the Wookie since that was at the beginning of Summer (or was it Spring? I can't remember) and she finds out she is pregnant in Fall.  A rewatch knowing the end result confirmed that she was going to the doctor, found out she was pregnant, and then went to talk to her dad.  She would have been 4 months or more pregnant when she found out if it was the Wookie.  Not his.  Paul is out since the whole running joke was forgetting about him and her never seeing him.  Hard to get pregnant when you aren't around the person to have sex.  That leaves Logan, whom she was with during the whole Life and Death Brigade thing.  Unless she did Kirk off camera or something, the baby is Logan's.

• Love 4

I picked up a few things from Spring I missed before: basket auction and Jackson at the international food festival. I heard he was in there somewhere, wasn’t sure where; Paris sizing up the value of various objects around Chilton because she gave them a bunch of money; the complaining about Stars Hollow getting the B-rate actors.

The first half of Spring really ups the nostalgia factor, with several call backs to the original series: basket auction, a festival with music that sounds reminiscent of Lazy Crazy Hazy Days of Summer, the Black White and Red movie theater, a second film by Kirk (I can’t decide if I remember this part or not), Maury in a ‘Kirk made a movie’ t-shirt, a Paul Anka dream, the trip to Chilton, Francie reused 'what's your damage' yet again, a town meeting (cringe).  

I figured out why I thought Luke knew Lorelai was still going to therapy. He asked how it went and she said so-so. Of course, she had to lie about Emily still going. Therefore he has to assume it was all a lie (cringe).

‘Millions’ of websites must be after Rory? More inner strength than most? Of the thousands of students that have passed through Chilton, quiet bookish Rory Gilmore who didn’t participate enough ‘left a big impression on everyone’ there? Give me a break. I’m calling BS on Charleston. Even those Chilton kids had to chuckle at her unfunny story (cringe).

By the end of this episode, it’s clearly a good time to acknowledge Mitchum was right. Rory ‘don’t got it.’ But no! It’s not her fault! These people are crazy and have bad story ideas and don’t know she deserves a job at a prestigious news outlet! In fact, Mitchum now sips the Kool Aid.

What has she been writing anyway? Features? It’s too unbelievable for her to have written anything of consequence. She has trouble focusing on anyone but herself.   

Sorry for the rant, but she is awful. For some reason I thought the revival slightly backed off the Rory worship, but I was so wrong. Simultaneously, she’s worse as ever!

Maybe we’re misinterpreting what they were going for. What we see as entitled and a bad attitude, was meant to be Backbone!Rory! Standing up for herself. Because she’s so strong. I’ve also considered whether the other characters are supposed to be unreliable. We’re supposed to know she’s terrible. But I don’t think that’s the case. They’re just lavishing praise on Rory because it’s what she allegedly deserves.

Sandee might be my favorite. She had the best lines. ‘Get a better attitude!’, ‘Get lost!’

Okay, whew. I’m going to push past the mess that is Rory and mention one other thing. When they were in the bathroom at Chilton, Paris said she missed her last period. Were we supposed to assume it’s because she was under a lot of divorce stress? Or did she and Doyle conceive right before they decided to split? Rory wasn’t concerned, but I thought, wait, what? I don’t think we see Paris again.  

Edited by nclpllm
  • Love 1

Summer is hands down, most definitely the weakest link. Everything about it is bad. That family dinner was so awkward. It’s been nine years, right? How often does April visit? Did Luke only recently move in with Lorelai permanently? April was stunned by the ‘time machine’ that is Rory’s untouched room. So if she’s come to stay, I guess she had to sleep on the couch? That’s rough, but knowing Lorelai, entirely believable.

April's limited screen time and total lack of plot really goes to to show how pointless the S6 spiral was. She hasn't been integrated into the Gilmore world at all. She's like Gigi. An obstacle to keep Lorelai from having 'it all' right as she's about to have it. Lorelai's life is so unfair. Digressing, digressing. Getting back on topic. 

While drinking scotch with Lorelai, ‘Let’s have another round tonight.’ Hamilton reference? 

I'm skipping over a lot, you all have already mentioned it. I am confused by the Stars Hollow Pool. It looks like it's in someone's backyard. But there's a sign, so it's definitely a public pool. If they're so disgusted by it all, why go? Oh oh, I get it. It's like when they watch bad movies to mock. 

I read in a post-revival interview, ASP said the musical was a must for them. If they weren’t able/allowed to do it, they weren’t interested in doing a revival at all. If only TPTB had put their foot down and said no to this, we could have been spared this whole mess. Actually, no, calling that bluff. She was desperately chomping at the bit to do a movie for years. I don’t believe she’d let something so frivolous be a deal-breaker when someone finally gave her her big chance. I don’t understand why it was so important to them. Lorelai knows it’s super bad, and not even in a highly amusing way, so I don’t know why the rest of us have to endure it for so long.

The Palladino’s produced Fun Home, if I’m not mistaken. So it’s not like they’re mocking the genre of musical theater. Is it supposed to be funny that everyone else loves it even though it’s clearly a mess and then hate the one quality song? They just look dumb and like they have bad taste. Is it some kind of commentary that the masses like what the Palladino’s perceive as crap? Because they crave the validation they think they deserve for their brilliant writing while lesser mortals achieve success and popularity? They’re bitter like that.  

I could be reading into it too much. I’m just trying to understand why they put us through that.

This episode is so terrible, top to bottom, just about every scene. Luke and Lorelai’s blow up. Rory’s attitude. Bad bad bad. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, nclpllm said:

said no to this

Is this also a Hamilton reference? ;)

I can absolutely believe that April would be required to sleep on the couch or in Luke's old apartment over the diner before she would be allowed to set foot in Princess Rory's room. Look how Lorelai reacted when Christopher had the wild idea that Gigi should have the room instead of the child who didn't live at home anymore.

9 minutes ago, deaja said:

Is this also a Hamilton reference? ;)

I can absolutely believe that April would be required to sleep on the couch or in Luke's old apartment over the diner before she would be allowed to set foot in Princess Rory's room. Look how Lorelai reacted when Christopher had the wild idea that Gigi should have the room instead of the child who didn't live at home anymore.

I saw it as Lorelai not being ready to allow Chris in her life...after all, “she jumped”. It’s fun to see how everyone interprets the show differently.

I read in a post-revival interview, ASP said the musical was a must for them. If they weren’t able/allowed to do it, they weren’t interested in doing a revival at all. If only TPTB had put their foot down and said no to this, we could have been spared this whole mess. Actually, no, calling that bluff. She was desperately chomping at the bit to do a movie for years. I don’t believe she’d let something so frivolous be a deal-breaker when someone finally gave her her big chance. I don’t understand why it was so important to them. Lorelai knows it’s super bad, and not even in a highly amusing way, so I don’t know why the rest of us have to endure it for so long.

Summer gets torn apart by everyone from critics to even die hard fans. Even later on with the P's saying it ate up the entire budget of the episode and why they couldn't do anything else. Even later saying that filming for Summer was really bad on everyone's schedule, but they wanted to film  the episode because of schedules for all cast members for summer. Or they would focus on people who could only be there a day or two like Jared or Melissa and even April. The problem is, it just showed how high the egos of the Ps are and even more just how bad season 6 was.

• Love 3

To stroke their own egos, the P's completely ruined the much anticipated revival event, so much so that it has soured a lot of people on even the original series.  The whole musical thing was utterly pointless in the story but ate up the budget so that everything else was short changed.  

The level of hubris with these two is out of sight.

• Love 6

I'm sorry I hated everything about the revival nothing rang true with how these people turned out given everything that happened during the show the weird suspended animation she put them in like time froze and no one talked to each other just bugged me. bringing up plot lines then just dropping them (like the freaking note that they bring up that a whole fight occurred and never talked about again) to the girls going from zingers to down right rude (Really making fun of fat people at the pool?)(or randomly having kids carry umbrellas for them?) or (Rory forgetting she is dating someone?) nothing to me rang true with this 

• Love 7

Oh and the whole Rory being so poor she has no clean underwear I’m sorry her grandfather (who seemed richer then god) would have left her something in his will there is no way that he wouldn’t have (she was his favorite) and on that same note his own daughter who he wasn’t has close with but still would have left her something. I mean come on he left luke something but not his own daughter and granddaughter?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I'm sorry I hated everything about the revival nothing rang true with how these people turned out given everything that happened during the show the weird suspended animation she put them in like time froze and no one talked to each other just bugged me. bringing up plot lines then just dropping them (like the freaking note that they bring up that a whole fight occurred and never talked about again) to the girls going from zingers to down right rude (Really making fun of fat people at the pool?)(or randomly having kids carry umbrellas for them?) or (Rory forgetting she is dating someone?) nothing to me rang true with this 

Yes, nothing made sense. Soon as Kirk told Lorelai: "Lulu wants kids." I wanted to go: "You've been married almost 12 years!" "What?" Hell, Lulu being a teacher could have decided to become a principal or something and they felt they had money for it. Or how about Kirk's mother still being alive? Luke's: "She's my daughter!" Crap and after almost 9 years they were not married yet. I don't want to get into Rory or even Logan, because Logan had turned into the very thing he hated, his father. Rory not having clean underware, interviewing a thieving drunk author who then hated how Rory made her look. Because you know, the TRUTH hurts! How about everything with Lane and her family, talk about waste of the twins and a certain husband: "I'm not me yet." with his stupid beard. 

• Love 2

Also, Emily knew who Kirk was.

He showed her houses.

Then she was like, "Who is this guy?!"

Oh, and sewers were already addressed season 1.  So why that stupid and pointless (and now inconsistent) storyline?

Oh, yeah, to match all the other stupid and pointless and inconsistent storylines.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Also, Emily knew who Kirk was.

He showed her houses.

Then she was like, "Who is this guy?!"

Oh, and sewers were already addressed season 1.  So why that stupid and pointless (and now inconsistent) storyline?

Oh, yeah, to match all the other stupid and pointless and inconsistent storylines.

I have another one: what about the mausoleum the Gilmore’s had? They had to kick out someone to make more room for Lorelai but Richard was buried in a grave...with six different headstones!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, FictionLover said:

I have another one: what about the mausoleum the Gilmore’s had? They had to kick out someone to make more room for Lorelai but Richard was buried in a grave...with six different headstones!

He didn’t want to be with Celia and her knock knock jokes for all eternity! ;)