Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: eps3.3_m3tadata.par2

• Start Topic

I guess this episode was all about the various relationships between the characters more than anything else.  Brother-sister, Angela-Mr Robot/Elliot, Tyrell-both "Elliots", FBI agent-Darlene.  Missed having White Rose in this episode.

This seemed more a set-up episode especially given the announcement at the end of this episode that next week's episode will be broadcast commercial free with no interruptions ?!!  Wow, can't wait!

Edited by green
  • Love 2

While having some good acting and interesting moments, I agree that this episode was mostly set-up.  But if their hype for next week's episode is any indication, then it would have been worth it.

A review I read noted that while they enjoyed Bobby Cannavale's presence, he seems out of place on this show.  Like he wandered in from Fargo.  I can agree with that, particularly the last part.

• Love 6

See, this is why I don't watch this show live. I usually watch it the next day after dinner. It comes on at 10 at night and I, being old(er), have to get up at 5am for work. I didn't get to sleep till after midnight. Thinking thinking thinking....

This was definitely a set-up episode.  Everybody involved on both sides are sooooo arrogantly sure of themselves that this mess can't end any other way but bloodshed. Nobody's thinking. Everybody's plotting. Does Angela really think E-Corp/the FBI doesn't have an eye on her? Really? She's that sure of herself? Got that much faith in WhiteRose/Dark Army?

I'm feeling sorrier and sorrier for Elliot every day. Everybody using him, nobody on his side. Everybody in his life, those he (should be able to ) trusts the most using him, his disability or his ABILITIES, for their own nefarious purposes. I don't see this show/series ending any other way than with Elliot's death. The only way he's ever gonna be able to completely get rid of Mr. Robot and his evil, evil ways is to die.

The more I watch this show, the more I see the ending as some sort of Shakespearean Tragedy. Everybody dies. Everybody.  I honestly can't see it ending any other way to be honest...maybe the old gang will be able to reverse this curse...but live? Nah...don't think so.

What a sad, sad mess this is. Are the FBI so useless and stupid that it never occurred to them to plant a tracker somewhere on Darlene? In her computer? Backpack? SHOES? Nothing? Really? They just let her walk away like that? For realz?

I don't know....next week's show should be freaking interesting...

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

I'm feeling sorrier and sorrier for Elliot every day. Everybody using him, nobody on his side. Everybody in his life, those he (should be able to ) trusts the most using him, his disability or his ABILITIES, for their own nefarious purposes. I don't see this show/series ending any other way than with Elliot's death. The only way he's ever gonna be able to completely get rid of Mr. Robot and his evil, evil ways is to die.

I had exactly the same thoughts after the episode. Poor Elliot, betrayed most thoroughly by himself. (I also continue to worry about poor Flipper.  I had hoped Darlene would top off his food and water bowls before leaving.) Who knows when Elliot will go back home. Angela is #1 on my kill list but I worry she will escape to one of Whiterose's alternate dimensions.

• Love 4

I noticed something.

When it's Elliot? The hood on the Hoodie is always always up.

When it's Mr. Robot? It's mostly down. Sometimes up, but mostly Mr. Robot has no problem showing his face.

• Love 4

The way to "get rid" of Mr. Robot is to integrate him and Elliot. You can't get rid of him because he's part of Elliot. Krista is actually on Elliot's side, but it's not helping because he's not shown to be doing therapy much. I don't know how you get him to do more therapy.

But yeah, the show is definitely heading for a massive conflagration.

I'm shocked they're running an episode without commercials.

• Love 8
On November 1, 2017 at 0:30 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

Mr. Robot doesn't have a need for Swede.

Heh. Who writes these descriptions?

So it could have been Mr. Robot who threw Elliot out the window and broke his arm. That is, Elliot tried to commit suicide-by-Mr. Robot/Dad. Maybe that was the first time his personality disintegrated.

On November 2, 2017 at 0:22 PM, Cardie said:

(I also continue to worry about poor Flipper.  I had hoped Darlene would top off his food and water bowls before leaving.)

Maybe Elliot will be driven to escape from Angela by his concern for Flipper.

The episode title of "Metadata" seemed a little too straightforward in comparison with all of the other titles. But maybe that just confirms that this is a setup episode.

Irving was so careful to not actually lie to Tyrell about Joanna. He's consistently that way with everyone, [edited out because of what @possibilities said below] but it's probably just because he's learned that it can be hard to keep lies straight, rather than having any kind of moral compass.

On November 2, 2017 at 7:22 AM, benteen said:

A review I read noted that while they enjoyed Bobby Cannavale's presence, he seems out of place on this show.  Like he wandered in from Fargo.  I can agree with that, particularly the last part.

I like having a little Fargo with my Mr Robot.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I wonder what Angela was referring to, when she asked Irving "did WhiteRose show you? Do you believe in it?" If whatever device WR is building is not completed yet, what could she have shown Angela? Something that totally convinced her? I hate Angela for drugging Elliot. I've always hated her character, her stupid blank face. Is she just a bad actress, or do they tell her not to make any facial expressions? Kill her off already.

When Darlene and Elliot made their "vengeance pact," I thought that meant Darlene is going to get killed in a future episode. 

Tyrell certainly didn't take the news of Elliot's split personality very well. How is he going to react when he finds out about his wife and son? It was interesting to see how well Irving can read Tyrell and play him. He saw that Tyrell has a desperate need to be a "god" and he expertly used that to manipulate him. I can see why he's WhiteRose's fixer.

Some callbacks to ghosts in this episode -- Darlene looking at Budapest vacation packages and thinking of Cisco; Elliott looking at Shayla's apartment and remembering her.

Flipper would be better off with an owner who is home at regular times for feeding/walking. Elliot is not that kind of dog owner.

Edited by KaleyFirefly
adding
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

When Darlene and Elliot made their "vengeance pact," I thought that meant Darlene is going to get killed in a future episode. 

And/or Darlene thinks she's going to get Elliot killed and wants him to know in that moment that she (intends) to get revenge.

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And/or Darlene thinks she's going to get Elliot killed and wants him to know in that moment that she (intends) to get revenge.

I thought it meant that Darlene herself thinks she is going to get killed.  After all she is trying to make a run for it.  Hope her character doesn't.  I think she is a major key to the whole thing.

And I think she is the nearest person to a true friend to Elliot.  It was killing her inside to have to work for the FBI plus see the Mr Robot side of Elliot pop out at times.  I think that is why she is going on the run.

I agree I wish Angela's character would just get killed off.  Or at least just go over to the dark side totally without any lingering feelings for Elliot.  Every time she is on screen I am totally bored and/or annoyed.  One of those is bad enough but to be both boring and annoying at the same time is driving me crazy.  And her lack of facial expression makes me think she is just an animated manikin.  Dress her either in winter apparel or summer sportswear and stick her in a store window already.

Meanwhile I still miss the two f society members who fled to the southwest.  Both are ten times more interesting than Angela.

• Love 3

Now that it is clear that Angela is just using Elliot, her emotionless face makes sense to me. And I guess she doesn't know or doesn't care that White Rose is using her.

2 hours ago, green said:

Meanwhile I still miss the two f society members who fled to the southwest.  Both are ten times more interesting than Angela

My only fansplain is that Esmail wrote them out to tighten the focus of the story.

• Love 2

Man, there is a whole LOT of RED in this season. A lot. The bar where Darlene and Dom were drinking? Red. From floor to ceiling. Red red red...Red wheelbarrow, red accents everywhere.

Remember in seasons 1 @ 2? Every time there  was red/red lighting? Somebody died.

Awful lot of red in these episodes. Man....awful lot of red...

• Love 6
On 11/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, green said:

I agree I wish Angela's character would just get killed off.  Or at least just go over to the dark side totally without any lingering feelings for Elliot.  Every time she is on screen I am totally bored and/or annoyed.  One of those is bad enough but to be both boring and annoying at the same time is driving me crazy.  And her lack of facial expression makes me think she is just an animated manikin.  Dress her either in winter apparel or summer sportswear and stick her in a store window already.

lol. Yeah I've actually never been a fan of Angela. Like you said, her constant blank face has always bugged me and I've never found her to be particularly compelling or necessary to the show. I guess right now she's necessary in the sense that she's totally manipulating Elliot but yeah, she can leave anytime. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 3:57 PM, Cardie said:

I still want to see them bingeing some 90s sitcom with Leon.

HEH - I guess you sorta got your wish with Leon declaring his hate for Fraiser, his love for Knight Rider and comparing Trenton & Mobley to George & Elaine.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:15 PM, hnygrl said:

Man, there is a whole LOT of RED in this season. A lot. The bar where Darlene and Dom were drinking? Red. From floor to ceiling. Red red red...Red wheelbarrow, red accents everywhere.

Remember in seasons 1 @ 2? Every time there  was red/red lighting? Somebody died.

Awful lot of red in these episodes. Man....awful lot of red...

Red is a common color/signal for danger. 

On 11/23/2017 at 1:13 PM, truthaboutluv said:

lol. Yeah I've actually never been a fan of Angela. Like you said, her constant blank face has always bugged me and I've never found her to be particularly compelling or necessary to the show. I guess right now she's necessary in the sense that she's totally manipulating Elliot but yeah, she can leave anytime. 

Angela has always been integral to the show. Not only because of their shared childhood experiences with their parents death, but Angela is the most functional (at least externally) of the 3 (Darlene/Elliot/Angela) It's Angela's ability to functon well enough in society to hold a regular job that has been Elliot/MrRobot entrances into the companies needed to perform the hacks (Allsafe & Ecorp). It's also Angela's childhood bond with Elliot that makes her the optimal one to control Elliot. Ironically It's because of Angela that the 71 e-corp building were bombed. Price was supposed to control her and make her drop that lawsuit but for whatever reason didn't. The meant WR had to intervene. I get that not everyone may k*** the character, but she's always been central to the plot.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

I get that not everyone may k*** the character, but she's always been central to the plot.

I am well aware of all those factors about the character as I've watched the show since the beginning. I am simply saying that I have personally never found her necessary, yes, because I find her character completely uninteresting and not very compelling. I'm sure without the Angela character, Esmail would have found some other way to get Eliot into these companies and make the plot work. So just so there is no confusion - I get the purpose Angela has served to the show, I just personally would have been fine if the character and her purpose wasn't there or more importantly, some other character or actress, served that purpose. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

It's really weird tonally to have Tyrell go from the dedicated disciple to disillusioned former believer in one episode but it makes sense in terms of timelines. There's a lot of really interesting stuff in here about religion and Elliot as the Messiah. Elliot's dual nature has real 'man and God' vibes to it. One wants to control the world and the other just wants to live in it. Unfortunately, as far as religious metaphors go, we all know what happens to Messiahs. I agree with whoever said they felt really for Elliot.

• Love 1