Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Rosario's Quinceañera

This was my favorite episode so far of the revival. Probably because it featured Karen Walker/ Megan Mullally at her best. I was tearing up at the end, but was cracking up at the scene with her and Jack at the bar.  It was also kind of nice that it wasn't just all about Will and Grace and Grace's problems for once.

• Love 17

That ending was perfect. I teared up there and also when Will comforted Karen in the bar. Megan Mullally is pretty amazing. 

Also, loved Jack dancing and the nun laughing at his funeral speech. 

And wow, that first shot of Grace in the hospital waiting room reminded me so much of Lucille Ball that I half expected Ethel to pop into the scene. 

......lastly, after this episode, I’ve decided that I really need to find a way to work “you put the Nancy in Nancy Drew” into a conversation with someone at work tomorrow. Lol! 

• Love 10

Finally a Karen/Will scene. They have a great chemistry together. It kills me when she calls him Mary.

Loved Jack's speech and Will's reactions.

I just love, love Will. Eric McCormack is fantastic.

I think the problem with Debra Messing is over-emoting at inappropriate times. The scene of her and Karen at the bar was utterly unfunny. It's like the writers hate her.

• Love 11

I'll really miss Rosario, but that was a nice sendoff for her.  Will comforting Karen was a great moment, and I was glad Karen said goodbye to Rosario.  

It was also a nice way to bring up Debbie Reynolds' passing.  And even if this mention wasn't intentional, it brought up Suzanne Pleshette, who played Karen's mother.  I'm guessing Karen's mother has also died, it sounded like Karen mentioned her in past tense.

This was the first time I've noticed any issue with Debra's acting.  Looked like she almost broke character when they were talking about the dog.

• Love 10

This felt like the era of sitcoms when there would be an "emotional episode" and that's how actresses would win comedy Emmys (and it worked for Messing on this show, and Roseanne, and I still think one of Helen Hunt's trophies belongs to Calista Flockhart).

I am not complaining about this episode, though. Very well-done and not ham-fisted, letting things play out naturally (and seriously!) in the last few minutes. Very Scrubs-like.

16 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

Normally I think repeat Emmy winners are boring...but Mullally can never be recognized enough for this role. Damn. She is brilliant.

Mullally won for S2 and S8, so not nearly as annoying as Frasier and Helen Hunt winning every year in the '90s.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

Finally a Karen/Will scene. They have a great chemistry together. It kills me when she calls him Mary.

They are my favorite.  That was a great scene.

I'm going to have to stop saying how bad I think Debra Messing is at playing Grace now, I've said it enough. I just kinda let my eyes wander around the room, I'm embarrassed for her. Otherwise, great episode. I figured we'd have to lose Rosario as the actress wasn't going to be coming back to the show. 

• Love 5

I'm half convinced the nun wasn't supposed to laugh but she did and they kept filming. 

While I have found the reboot very uneven so far going into the break, I did like this one.  I didn't cry, but I think it hit the proper notes.  Will being the one to say to Karen "I won't force you to go, but maybe you should" felt right.   

I think the problem with Debra Messing is over-emoting at inappropriate times. 

Pretty much.  Just because she looks similar to Lucille Ball doesn't mean she is.  It wasn't so apparent a decade ago, but she's trying with the big eyes and wide arm gestures and then it's just a distraction.  

• Love 6

I had no clue the actress who played Rosario wasn't coming back (what happened?) so I was totally caught off guard by this episode. I cried like a baby during Karen's speech at the coffin. 

I was also waiting for someone to tell Will and Grace to shut up during the service. It was such a throw back to Rosario and Jack's wedding when they were arguing.

• Love 3

No, no. My local news station. My brother had it on and they did a touching story about a 95 year old war veteran whose wife has Alzheimers but he visits her daily. It just broke my heart and then this show broke it a few hours later.

The actress playing Rosario has retired and has had a few battles with cancer IRL. I wish they had just kept her off screen but alas, they gave her a send-off instead.

• Love 1

I think Jack's speech describing his sexual relations with Rosario, the nun laughing and Jack's point and wink at her was perhaps my favorite moment of the revival. There are some strict nuns but there are also just as many who would have got a giggle out of those visuals he was trying to sell.

My second favorite moment was Karen and Will in the bar.

• Love 7

2 hours ago, kinnej5 said:

Who died?

I've given up on the revival.

Rosario was Karen's maid. Karen was very dependent on her. Jack was forced to marry Rosario to get her a green card. She was extremely important to the original show. Unfortunately the actress, Shelly Morrison, is elderly, ill and has retired.

• Love 1

I, too, have always liked the dynamic between Will and Karen. 

Debra Messing is becoming unbearable. I can see where Grace's partnership with Will is going. He will make decisions, she will over ride his decisions or get her feelings hurt, they will fight and then make up. I'm not in the mood for it. 

• Love 8

Pretty much.  Just because she looks similar to Lucille Ball doesn't mean she is.  It wasn't so apparent a decade ago, but she's trying with the big eyes and wide arm gestures and then it's just a distraction.  

I do feel like she's taken that comparison to heart and decided that she really is the next Lucille Ball.  All she needs to do now is chain smoke for 40 years so she can imitate Lucy's increasingly raspy voice.  Seriously, watch a scene of Lucy speak from one of her movies in the 30s and then a clip of her from Here's Lucy in the 70s.  It's enough to never make you smoke again. 

12 hours ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Lorraine Finster returns. Get. A load. Of her.

View the full article

Tara and Kevin pleaded for the show to bring back the old writers, but some of them are on staff:

Ep 1 is by David Kohan & Max Mutchnick;

Ep 2 & 6 are by Tracy Poust & Jon Kinnally, who previously wrote 19 eps;

Ep 4 is by Alex Herschlag, who did 17 eps;

Only Nina Pedrad (Ep 3), and the veteran team of Suzanne Martin & John Quaintance (Ep 3) seem to be writing for W&G for the first time.

Indeed, the problem of the revival repeating old plots may not be because the writers weren't around the first time, but precisely because they were.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

I remain convinced that Debra Messing's bad acting is tied to her facework. She can't move most of her face, and so she's over-emoting, and bugging her eyes out, and it's really bizarre.

It has to be the facework, I agree. Although, I will give her props, because in this episode she sounded the closest to Grace so far this season. It looked like the botox may have settled a bit as well. 

Edited by Gothish520
sentence structure
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I remain convinced that Debra Messing's bad acting is tied to her facework. She can't move most of her face, and so she's over-emoting, and bugging her eyes out, and it's really bizarre.

I remember in the original run Debra literally stopped being funny when she got pregnant. It's like that kid sucked all the funny out of her.  She was never the same Grace after that. No idea why but for me that is the exact moment she changed.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, VioletMarx said:

I remember in the original run Debra literally stopped being funny when she got pregnant. It's like that kid sucked all the funny out of her.  She was never the same Grace after that. No idea why but for me that is the exact moment she changed.

I soooo agree with this! I always thought that as well, even her physical appearance changed back then. 

My favorite season of W & G was the season Gregory Hines was Will's boss and Grace's love interest. Gregory Hines was perfection in that role and they all had such great chemistry.  I also loved Blythe Danner and of course Debbie Reynolds as the mom's. They really had some amazing casting on that show. Those were the good ole' W & G days! 

• Love 4

I agree the revival has been uneven thus far, but this episode felt like the first one that really felt like old-school Will and Grace and had a reason to exist other than to just make money for the network, if that makes any sense. It hit all the right buttons for me, anyway. 

And I'll go against popular opinion here but I actually thought Debra Messing did a good job playing Grace the way she did back in the day. She did become more insufferable as the series progressed so she felt a little Season 7 or Season 8 Grace here rather than Season 1 Grace for sure, but her whole diatribe about her mother's funeral felt very organic for her character and very familiar. 

I loved so many of the jokes here and the return of Smitty. I think my favorite bit was Will telling Jack to "stretch" and Jack starts doing stretching exercises.

• Love 6

It seems I’m coming up with at least one “I wish they would have...” instance for each of these new episodes. In this case, I would love to have had the pew full of nuns at the service include either:

A remaining cast member from The Flying Nun - ideally a Sally Field “I just flew in for the service”  cameo, or

The return of the Ellen Degeneres nun character who bought Grace’s car.

All in all a lovely tribute to Rosario (and Shelley Morrison) - I’ll keep hoping that an expanded Bobbi Adler/Debbie Reynolds tribute will be included in a future episode.

• Love 3

As far as "a comedy muddling through a Very Special Episode" this one was fairly well done.  However, I just don't feel like a limited-run reboot was the right time or place for a Very Special Episode,  ya know?  

1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I soooo agree with this! I always thought that as well, even her physical appearance changed back then. 

My favorite season of W & G was the season Gregory Hines was Will's boss and Grace's love interest. Gregory Hines was perfection in that role and they all had such great chemistry.  I also loved Blythe Danner and of course Debbie Reynolds as the mom's. They really had some amazing casting on that show. Those were the good ole' W & G days! 

This- exactly!  I loved Grace and Ben together! One of my FAVORITE scenes of the original run is that first "real" moment between Grace and Ben.  I wish I could find a video clip, but the dialogue will have to do.  It doesn't do the acting and the facial expressions and the chemistry between them justice though.   

BEN: All right, fine. What do you want to know?

GRACE: How about something real... Something that doesn't involve the words Porsche, beach house, or what's-her-name?

BEN: Hmm. Ok. Something real. Well, I've been married twice. First, to the love of my life who died 10 years ago, then to a woman who reminded me of my first wife but was, I found out, nothing like her. I have 2 beautiful kids, one who's crazy about me and one who's not. And somehow, driving my Porsche to my beach house with what's-her-name doesn't quite make up for the fact that the things I really want in my life are exactly what's missing from it.

GRACE: Wow. Is that true?

BEN: All but the Porsche part. I drive a Mercedes now. S-Class. Any more questions, Grace?

GRACE: Um... How's the lamb? I made it, you know.

BEN: It's really good, Grace. It's good.

• Love 8

RIP Rosario Salazar :(

My favorite tv maid ever, sad that she died just 6 years before she was set to get that ten million dollar inheritance from Stan.

I hope Megan gets herself another Emmy takes real talent to make me cry both tears of laughter and sadness in one episode.

Edited by blaase
  • Love 7

I realize what is wrong with the new show: Grace isn’t funny. Debra Messing used to be comfortable, neurotic but comfortable with the role and as an actress in the role. Now she is just brittle. If she is having any fun, I have yet to see evidence of that.
In addition, she looks terrible. Hair, makeup and wardrobe need to up their game. Debra is no longer 100 pounds or whatever she weighed during the show and they need to put her in clothes that are flattering. Sleeveless dresses that show her knees are just not cutting it.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, VioletMarx said:

I might have an idea why but I don't want to start/spread rumors...

24 minutes ago, thejuicer said:

I might have an idea why but I don't want to start/spread rumors...

Her marriage was in trouble????

21 minutes ago, ari333 said:

People get older and gain a few pounds.

They absolutely do. But there is way to dress that is fashionable as well as flattering. Whoever is dressing her is not making her look her best.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I, too, have always liked the dynamic between Will and Karen. 

Debra Messing is becoming unbearable. I can see where Grace's partnership with Will is going. He will make decisions, she will over ride his decisions or get her feelings hurt, they will fight and then make up. I'm not in the mood for it. 

I have been forwarding through most of the Grace scenes. I just can't watch her overact anymore. I love the other 3, but Karen and Jack were always my favs. I can't believe how versatile Eric McCormack is between this and Levarge. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, thejuicer said:

I think the problem with Debra Messing is over-emoting at inappropriate times. The scene of her and Karen at the bar was utterly unfunny. It's like the writers hate her.

When she was crying in the bar, the acting was so awful I started to think it was on purpose.

• Love 5

With regards to the comment about whether there had been a previous episode that was revisited this season dealing with sexual harassment (as discussed on the podcast) there was. Don't know what season it was but there was an episode where Jack & Karen have to film a sexual harassment instructional video.

• Love 1

In addition, she looks terrible. Hair, makeup and wardrobe need to up their game. Debra is no longer 100 pounds or whatever she weighed during the show and they need to put her in clothes that are flattering. Sleeveless dresses that show her knees are just not cutting it.

I agree they don't dress her in flattering clothes.  I just am curious if that is Debra's choice or not. 

I felt like neither the return of Loraine or the side plot of Will & Grace arguing over Will's authority at the business were needed during the episode.  I did like the scene between Will and Karen, and Karen's scene at the end.  It was a very uneven episode.  You almost feel like the characters are all contractually obligated to be given things to do during an episode, just so no one cast member gets too much focus. 

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, WordsWordsWords said:

I think Megan Mullally was perfection in this episode.  I was in tears throughout her whole last scene. 

When she wordlessly grasps Will's arm when he goes to move away -- that was powerful. Also, her "te amo, mami" at the end. Was that supposed to be some hint that Karen's relationship with Rosario was more than employer/employee? 

• Love 6
On 11/2/2017 at 9:33 PM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Dammit, I did not expect to cry like I did.  Well done show, well done.

My mom just passed away 2 weeks ago, and I barely made it through the show.  ??

It was very well done...even though I had to keep pausing the show several times.

Jack had me in stitches.

• Love 8

This episode was by far the best of the revival to date. "I'm sorry I'm late, but I got here as soon as I wanted to." Jack in the bar with Karen. Will in the bar with Karen. Jack's speech. Karen sitting at the casket at the end. All perfection! I googled Shelley Morrison thinking she had died in real life because the episode felt so real. Great performances from EM, SH, and MM.

I'm over Debra Messing. She is just awful!

• Love 2