Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E07: I Love Candy!

• Start Topic

When one of Jen's best friends from school comes to visit for the weekend, its constant and crazy fun as Will and Zoey bond with her children; the family heads out in their toy cars for a memorable Halloween night of trick-or-treating.

I wonder if this epi was really filmed at Halloween or whether they filmed a "fake" Halloween in advance so it could be edited in time to line up with the actual day, similar to how all the Kardashian Christmas epis are filmed over the summer. 

19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I suppose we'll find out if we see any other kids out in costume. Unless production called Central Casting in Houston for background ambience. 

Remember when TLC had a crew member pretending to be a customer at the Duggars' car lot?  I totally wouldn't put it past them to scrape some local drama club kids together and throw them in costumes to stage the scene.

• Love 3

I think that it was last year's Halloween. The show is behind because of the legal trouble.

Zoey's birthday episode was her 5th birthday. She turned 6 this month. These episodes are a year behind.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 14

I checked Jen’s Instagram, Will is Darth Vader, Zoey is Princess Anna. So definitely last year’s Halloween. I remember when my daughter fell in love with DV. She called him the good one. Toddlers... She was DV one Halloween, great memories.

• Love 5

Well, they must be in the FL house this Halloween? This has to be last year in the Houston house (now blue) because this is after the flooding and we were shown them checking in on the now empty house in TX on the season opener. I still like watching the current show since it is actually Halloween!

Oh....the second hour is actually a rerun of Jen's parents' garage sale! That was not what the guide said was on, it made it seem like it was a NEW 2 hr. finale.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Libby said:

I think that it was last year's Halloween. The show is behind because of the legal trouble.

Zoey's birthday episode was her 5th birthday. She turned 6 this month. These episodes are a year behind.

What kind of legal trouble? Will you pm me if off topic?

32 minutes ago, Calibabydolly said:

Oh....the second hour is actually a rerun of Jen's parents' garage sale! That was not what the guide said was on, it made it seem like it was a NEW 2 hr. finale.

TLC has been pulling this with a few of their shows.  They call it a new two hour show of something and then the second hour is not what they had claimed.  

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

What kind of legal trouble? Will you pm me if off topic?

The network and the production company sued each other. The show was off the air for a year and a half until the matter got resolved.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Libby said:

They cut the part where they were reading the book about little people and Will said that a kid in karate called him a baby. It was in the preview but not on the show.

My guide for next Tuesday's show describes this and I think the title is "I'm Not a Baby!".  Now not sure if its a full show or just some extra clips.  I hope its a full show because this is a very important topic.

Edited by PJ123
Hit post too soon.
  • Love 2

Regarding Jen's friend, I think I'd feel really weird staying at someone's house I hadn't seen in fifteen years, especially if I didn't know that person's husband or children at all. Maybe it's because I'm super private and don't like staying at others' homes or having houseguests of my own, but that scenario has the potential to get really awkward really fast. For as much as Jen declared they were besties, they seemed to be struggling to make conversation.

I was dying laughing though when Zoe declared her room a girl's only zone. She's so adorably prissy.

Will not listening at the aquarium, big shocker, lol. He did much better with the speech therapist. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Libby said:

They cut the part where they were reading the book about little people and Will said that a kid in karate called him a baby. It was in the preview but not on the show.

Yea, they also showed Bill's birthday in the preview. Then all we get is Jen's parents garage sale from last year? Weird. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Libby said:

Apparently that will be next week

S09 E08 · I'm Not a Baby!

Nov 7, 2017, 9 PM on TLC

New Bill wants a homemade dinner for his birthday and the team works to prepare the meal; when reading a story, Will shares some startling news that propels the family to talk about what it means to be little.

Followed by

S09 E09 · Dear Santa, I Love You

Nov 14, 2017

New It's Christmas time and Bill goes all out with the decorations, much to Jen's dismay; Bill holds a pet adoption where Will and Zoey decide on a new puppy; family visits, toy drive shopping and letters to Santa keep everyone busy.

• Love 3

Am curious to hear more about Bill's franchising plans for Rocky and Maggie's. Seems he is going really upscale. Jen's good friend seemed less than comfortable. But obviously she knew she was going to be filmed by TLC. I am willing to go along with the idea that this was a fake Halloween. Most likely on a real Halloween night, there would have been a lot more kids out making a bit more challenging to have the kids in their little cars.

• Love 1

Wow, a squeal fest!! LOL.  Thank goodness for the lollipops again for the aquarium tour or at least the first part.  Will seems to need one on one supervision as he is not a good listener and needs to be managed individually again and again!  I am enjoying the speech therapy education and watching some of how it works with both kids.  

I agree it would be uncomfortable to visit someone I hadn’t seen in 15 years.  I could see doing that for an afternoon but not a weekend although it appears it was not a full weekend anyway. 

I thought the street was hugely busy with people and kids during the Halloween segment and was amazed at how many were trick or treating in broad daylight!  Must have been the camera crew that brought them out.  

Zoey stating her case and crossing her arms then looking at the camera...hmmm is this a sign filming needs to end? 

Jen must be on meds for her anxiety about the chaos and mess with the kids all over the house, wow, they have a lot of toys in many rooms!  

I do notice Bill and Jen are not doing the TH together as much, wonder why. 

I also notice Jen’s makeup!  Wow!

• Love 8

Cute episode with Jen's med school friend and her kids spending the weekend at Casa Klein. However; why no mention of the friend's kids' male DNA donor? I mean, would it have killed the flow to have either had one sentence explaining 'Sorry Larry had to work this weekend and couldn't make it' OR 'She's had to work extra hard to juggle since their split/his death''. Bill seemed the odd man out in that he had no one to pal around his own age/gender that weekend while all the others did (and the friend's son seemed rather happy to be able to play with another boy even factoring Will's youth, smallness, etc.).

I haven't seen this one yet but maybe they were either filmed or are being shown out of order. I saw on Twitter that Bill had a birthday a couple of weeks ago I think it was; so Halloween would normally follow after but it seems his birthday epi is coming up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Cute episode with Jen's med school friend and her kids spending the weekend at Casa Klein. However; why no mention of the friend's kids' male DNA donor? I mean, would it have killed the flow to have either had one sentence explaining 'Sorry Larry had to work this weekend and couldn't make it' OR 'She's had to work extra hard to juggle since their split/his death''. Bill seemed the odd man out in that he had no one to pal around his own age/gender that weekend while all the others did (and the friend's son seemed rather happy to be able to play with another boy even factoring Will's youth, smallness, etc.).

They mentioned that Jen's friend had never even met Bill before, so I can understand why her hubby (if he's still in the picture) might not have wanted to go spend a weekend in the home of strangers.  Jen and friend were (theoretically) reuniting; they had each other, and the kids had the other kids to play with.  Maybe Dad had seen the show and didn't want to spend a weekend listening to Will screech.

That one scene where Jen and friend were talking and the friend (an accomplished ER doctor in her own right) said, "It's such an honor to be able to see you again and to stay in your home" seemed odd.  "An honor"???  To see an old friend???  Just seemed a weird choice of words.  

It did appear that Bill and Jen were trying to rein Will in at the aquarium.  But when a tour guide has to specifically (and frequently) address one child to return to the group, that's an indicator that the child needs to learn appropriate behaviors.  

• Love 22

I thought it was an enjoyable episode and am not bothered by the things that seem to be off for other people.  The insight we got into the visit with Jen's friends and her children was appropriate.  IMO we saw "conversation" that was presented for the cameras.  When Bill was talking about the fact they decided to be easy and order pizza so Jen and her friend could catch up, we saw Jen and her friend sitting alone and talking at the table.  I'm betting that conversation was a lot less stilted because it didn't need to be camera ready and respect anybody's privacy if they delved into reminiscence of people and events from their med school days, and beyond.  As far as not mentioning the father of her friend's children, maybe they're not together and don't care to put that out there to satisfy the voracious curiosity of a TV audience.  There's really no need.

Overall this episode gave quite a span of interactions to watch the kids' behavior.   For me, more than any other episode it gave a real snapshot into Will's developmental status.  It was obvious he lagged behind all of the other children in behavior and maturity.  It's not at all about his intelligence, because he's a very smart kid.   My heart broke when they went out to dinner at Benihana and it was obvious Will could pay attention to nothing else once he had any food in front of him to consume.  It reminded me once again what a deep trauma he must have gone through in his early days.  Every other child there could barely take their eyes off the chef while Will was intent upon nothing else but his bowl and getting his spoon to his mouth.  The scenes in the house with the children playing were nonstop squealing from Will, his reflexive response to most anything.  Even in quieter settings with minimal distractions Will has difficulty taking in instruction and executing the appropriate response without repetition of the request -- he had great difficulty processing and performing the action of pulling his tongue inside his teeth to execute the L sound on command.  The first few times the therapist asked he didn't even register what she was asking.   The moment he "heard" her request he performed fairly flawlessly.

This episode convinced me Will has a very long road to hoe, much longer than I ever suspected.  More than ever I'm convinced that we as the audience truly have next to no idea how much parenting and effort is truly going on in this household.  I do remain certain that the speed and the depth at which these children achieved comfort, security and such strong signs of mutual affection in this home that these two parents are moving heaven and earth to give these children the very best life. 

• Love 19

Seeing 5- and 6-year-old Zoe and Will with the visiting 6- and 8-year olds gave a stark demonstration of the developmental delays and behavior problems that both Zoe and Will have.  Some of this is probably a result of their early years spent in institutions. But a lot of this has to do with Bill and Jen's lack of appropriate discipline.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Seeing 5- and 6-year-old Zoe and Will with the visiting 6- and 8-year olds gave a stark demonstration of the developmental delays that both Zoe and Will have.  Some of this is probably a result of their early years spent in institutions. But a lot of this has to do with Bill and Jen's lack of appropriate discipline.

I couldn't believe Will and the friend's son were the same age. Watching them interact was like watching a ten year-old play with a two year-old. When Will ran in to meet the kids and aggressively chucked his toy on the floor, I was like whoah, that's the type of shit they need to get under control ASAP. I think Bill and Jen are good people who are giving maximum effort, but Bill has been looking exhausted lately. Just watching their morning routine where it's a constant battle to get the kids to sit at the table, eat, then put shoes on wore me out and I don't even have to live it every single day. Zoe getting cranky over a stupid pancake and Bill and Jen tripping over themselves to placate her was absurd. It's the little things like that where they need to stop babying the kids because they're making life more difficult than it needs to be.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 22

^^^^^ Well said!!  

Bill taking orders for breakfast like it was a restaurant when it should be come to the table dressed and ready to eat what I serve, no special orders.  They should not be acting like the kids are in charge!  Zoey getting the ugly mad on and Jen saying oh well I messed up by cutting the friggin pancake is absurd.   

• Love 18

The fact that Jen was making such a big deal about how well the kids were getting along, along with her admission that they do not have kids over very much makes me wonder if Will and Zoey have many friends.

• Love 10

Trick or treat in my city is from 6pm to 8pm so kids running around in bright daylight isn't odd around here. It helps to get the wee ones off the streets as it turns dusky. Then we see more of the older kids.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Snow8585 said:

The fact that Jen was making such a big deal about how well the kids were getting along, along with her admission that they do not have kids over very much makes me wonder if Will and Zoey have many friends.

Yeah, I was a little surprised at that. Maybe with their filming and work schedules, they prefer their free time to be family time, but based on the trick or treating it looked like there were a ton of little kids in their neighborhood. Usually in an environment like that a kid will have a buddy a few doors down where they play at each others' houses, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I couldn't believe Will and the friend's son were the same age. Watching them interact was like watching a ten year-old play with a two year-old. When Will ran in to meet the kids and aggressively chucked his toy on the floor, I was like whoah, that's the type of shit they need to get under control ASAP. I think Bill and Jen are good people who are giving maximum effort, but Bill has been looking exhausted lately. Just watching their morning routine where it's a constant battle to get the kids to sit at the table, eat, then put shoes on wore me out and I don't even have to live it every single day. Zoe getting cranky over a stupid pancake and Bill and Jen tripping over themselves to placate her was absurd. It's the little things like that where they need to stop babying the kids because they're making life more difficult than it needs to be.

In the timeframe shown in the episode Will would have been  6.  We were told the friend's son was 8.  Close in age, but not the same age.  I agree Will's behaviors weren't age appropriate for your typical kid.  I'll also cut some slack for how Bill and Jen handled that situation because I remember that in the moment they're in fact not truly living their authentic lives, rather filming a TV show.

I suspect that may have been at the heart of some of the breakfast scenes as well.  If I had to guess, I think the excitement and prep for guests and the disruption of the normal morning routine with filming really threw the kids off.  IMO this type of stuff really shows up with Will the most.   Truthfully I think the breakfast offerings were not their normal school day menu, but rather something more of substance to keep the audience entertained, versus sitting the kids down to a bowl of cereal  I also wonder about the fact they're going to a lot of effort to make it seem as if there is minimal to no outside childcare assistance.  I believe there is.  If that's actually their norm and filming requires the pretense, that's another thing to throw the kids' behavior offline.  

As simple as we might think it looks for them to film this show, I suspect it's a job that has it's challenges, challenges that really add up when you're dealing with young kids, especially young kids who have some challenges and possibly some delays.  I'm not sure the show will end up being sustainable much longer.      

• Love 7

Will's TH where he states how he loves candy and repeats his love of sugar, speaks volumes. I would like to see what he would be like if they cut out candy and sugar from his diet. The fact they constantly have suckers in their mouths whenever they are somewhere that they are expected to maybe be quiet or follow instructions bugs me to no end.

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Bill taking orders for breakfast like it was a restaurant when it should be come to the table dressed and ready to eat what I serve, no special orders.  They should not be acting like the kids are in charge!  Zoey getting the ugly mad on and Jen saying oh well I messed up by cutting the friggin pancake is absurd.   

My mother never took special orders and she was a stay at home mom at the time. She had all the time in the world to make special breakfasts, but didn't. She usually had the cereal we had on the table or she she would make oatmeal(this was back in the late 70's). Their meal times drive me batty!

3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

In my house, that would've been the last time he saw that toy for at least a month! Will is very aggressive with his toys and I hope off camera he gets punished for it. I know they have the money, but those kids have way too many toys. As Tikichick stated above, Will has a very long road to go..

• Love 9

Jen's friend was not wearing a wedding ring, so I assumed she was divorced. I thought it was really awkward how they had not seen each other for 15 years and then the friend and her kids spent the weekend. To me, that would be like having strangers move in for the weekend.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Jen's friend was not wearing a wedding ring, so I assumed she was divorced. I thought it was really awkward how they had not seen each other for 15 years and then the friend and her kids spent the weekend. To me, that would be like having strangers move in for the weekend.

It did appear that they were spending the night in the separate apartment quarters, so in a sense it was like they were visiting and staying in a hotel. 

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, viewer said:

I  wonder if Will eats this much sugar off camera or if they just use it for a TLC  ploy.  It certainly doesn't send a healthy message.   Who else got cotton candy?   

That's something else that struck me about the episode, it seems like the kids might get goodies more often during filming than they might while living life off camera. 

Will with the huge bag of cotton candy surprised me.  I get that he has issues surrounding food and it breaks my heart.  But I was shocked he seemed to have full control of an entire bag of cotton candy all to himself.  I am choosing to tell myself that the bag was taken from him off camera immediately after the scene we saw.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

The whole set-up was odd. Did Jen's friend just happen to be in Houston that weekend and wanted to get in touch for old time's sake? Was this a producer set-up because they're running out of things to film? I understand life gets busy, but you'd think if they were really that close, two financially secure women would've found a way to do a girls' weekend or meet up at an alumni reunion at some point in the past fifteen years. I wonder what would've happened if the kids didn't hit it off and spent the whole time fighting. TLC would've had to scrap half the episode footage, lol. 

Regarding Will's love for sugar, I think that's a tough one to gauge. Most of the episodes are field trips to places where kids would normally get treats they don't eat at home. You're not going to take a kid to a carnival and then be a total Scrooge and tell him he can't have ice cream or Cotton Candy. Aside from Will's early obsession with cake, I can't recall many scenes where the kids were overdosing on sweets at their house, so I'm assuming their diet is more balanced outside the show. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

Breakfast - "Zoey, come sit down." (nothing happens) "Alright, I'm going to count to three" (counts to one, stops counting) "Zoey, can you please sit down?" (nothing happens) "Zoey, you MUST sit down" (Zoey lays on the floor)

When she finally sits down, Jen says "Thank you". In between all of this, we get the TH of Bill saying they're not 19 yr olds in the Army, how the kids don't appreciate the fact that it might make them late for school, etc. In other words, excuses for their behavior.

What might simplify your mornings and get you out the door on time would be to discipline a little, and MAKE your kids listen! No counting to three where there's no consequence, no begging them with please please please, and you don't have to "thank" a child for simply doing what they should've been doing in the first place, with no big hassle. Maybe save the "thank you" thing for times when they respond to a simple request the first time.

I realize breakfast time when trying to get them out the door for school may not be the ideal time to START discipline, but if you did it in other situations (and followed through with consequences), things would be clicking along a lot better by now.

And I agree with several of you who said getting cranky over the pancake was a little OTT. If I made any kind of "yuck, I don't want this" face at the table, I got a talking to immediately from my Dad...which usually ended with "Your mother worked hard to put this meal on the table, and YOU will show a little respect!" 

JMO but I think there's a lot of "respect" missing in that household.

• Love 24
37 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The whole set-up was odd. Did Jen's friend just happen to be in Houston that weekend and wanted to get in touch for old time's sake? Was this a producer set-up because they're running out of things to film? I understand life gets busy, but you'd think if they were really that close, two financially secure women would've found a way to do a girls' weekend or meet up at an alumni reunion at some point in the past fifteen years. I wonder what would've happened if the kids didn't hit it off and spent the whole time fighting. TLC would've had to scrap half the episode footage, lol. 

Regarding Will's love for sugar, I think that's a tough one to gauge. Most of the episodes are field trips to places where kids would normally get treats they don't eat at home. You're not going to take a kid to a carnival and then be a total Scrooge and tell him he can't have ice cream or Cotton Candy. Aside from Will's early obsession with cake, I can't recall many scenes where the kids were overdosing on sweets at their house, so I'm assuming their diet is more balanced outside the show. 

Didn't the doctors say in a previous episode that both Will and Zoey were doing very well as far as weight as Little People?  Will likes to eat, but if he was over indulging, the doctors would've said something.  I'm guessing he's getting more treats during filming as bribes more than anything.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

Didn't the doctors say in a previous episode that both Will and Zoey were doing very well as far as weight as Little People?  Will likes to eat, but if he was over indulging, the doctors would've said something.  I'm guessing he's getting more treats during filming as bribes more than anything.

I wouldn't count on it. A doctor can only measure Will's height and weight.  There are many other bad health consequences of eating too much sugar.

5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I couldn't believe Will and the friend's son were the same age. 

I think the friend's son was eight, so two years older than Will. The friend's younger daughter was six, the same age as Will and a year older than Zoe.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

I would have to agree with this. While I don't agree with using food as bribes, I do remember the doctor saying they were both weight appropriate for kids with Achon. So I think TLC's editing must be making it look worse than it really is. Why they would do that, I have no idea. Does TLC think it's "cute", maybe? Personally, I'd rather see something closer to reality, since it's a "reality" show. 

* I didn't mean to step on your reply, RemoteControlFreak...ours went up at the same time! Sorry.

Edited by Sasha888
  • Love 3

They really need to stop the counting to 3. They have done it on several occasions. The children have not done what they asked one time. Do Bill and Jen think that the audience is impressed with their discipline tactics when they count? They count, the kids don't care and don't do what they say, and there are no consequences at the end of the counting. Bill and Jen are making themselves look ridiculous. They would look less foolish if they didn't count at all.

• Love 15

I believe that almost everything related to dr checkups is approved or edited by TLC including Bill and Jen..who are producers. Their call but not honest to the viewers.  Case in point: Jen getting a clean bill of health from her dr when her cancer was cured. Jen smiling and looking at the dr, do you really think that ALL of them did NOT know beforehand that Jen was in the clear before they aired that?? Great news for Jen.  But the same applies to the kids. Those kids have so many issues, Jen and Bill obviously do not want to put them out there. For example, we now know that Zoey has ear tubes but we never saw that on the show.  Will faces signfiicant developmental delays and surgery to fix his bowled legs. Did not Jen in a previous season reveal that he falls many times a day? I hope they get off the air before he goes through that surgery.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Snow8585 said:

I believe that almost everything related to dr checkups is approved or edited by TLC including Bill and Jen..who are producers. Their call but not honest to the viewers.  Case in point: Jen getting a clean bill of health from her dr when her cancer was cured. Jen smiling and looking at the dr, do you really think that ALL of them did NOT know beforehand that Jen was in the clear before they aired that?? Great news for Jen.  But the same applies to the kids. Those kids have so many issues, Jen and Bill obviously do not want to put them out there. For example, we now know that Zoey has ear tubes but we never saw that on the show.  Will faces signfiicant developmental delays and surgery to fix his bowled legs. Did not Jen in a previous season reveal that he falls many times a day? I hope they get off the air before he goes through that surgery.

On the 7 Little Johnstons Alex had to have his leg corrected  when he was 9 I believe and had to be carried everywhere if he had to get out of bed, no weight bearing at all!  We know Jen and Bill can’t do it so I guess they will hire someone or rely on the grandparents when Will has his leg surgery.  If I recall the issue was the same but every one is different.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

I'm glad surgery can wait, but the parents are well aware that it is at least in Will's future. My heart breaks for the little guy, his smile/grins crack me up, and he has boundless energy. Hopefully there is a lot of behavioral intervention Jen and Bill do not want to make public. Educating the public about little people challenges is just fine. As a mother who rode (and still at times) the bonding, IA adoption rollercoaster, I would not want anyone privy to the low days. Bill and Jen have that times two, I admire their decision to adopt two children so close together. I'm a ginormous coward and decided to stay way below my abilities. Just in case.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

When Will ran in to meet the kids and aggressively chucked his toy on the floor, I was like whoah, that's the type of shit they need to get under control ASAP.

I agree, I didn't much care for that scene either. I could definitely see being a little shy, or something along those lines, but that was a reaction I wasn't expecting.

Something that just really grates on my nerves is Will's constant begging...and I say Will because for the most part, I don't notice Zoey doing it so much. For instance at the boardwalk - Bill said that Will found out there was cotton candy, and "he wasn't going to leave without getting some". IMO, that's not something a parent should find cute or be proud of. Will asked over & over...and after saying "I want candy" multiple times, he said "Come on Dad, I know where it is!" When they handed out caps on the train ride, Will is saying "I wanna cap! I wanna cap!" over and over again. The other kids weren't doing that. He did the same thing with the duck-quack thing-a-ma-jigs on that boat ride..."I want one! I want one!" as soon as he saw them. Similar things have happened at the various light shows & things they've taken the kids to. I want a sword, I want a lightsaber, etc etc. It just grates.

I had a tendency to beg as a child. So a rule was made - asking once is asking, but asking 2 or more times is begging...and then you will definitely NOT get it. When I asked for something more than once, it was made very clear to me that I might have gotten the item, had I not asked more than once. Sometimes the answer might be no, sometime it might be yes, but if I asked more than once, the answer was ALWAYS no. 

Cured me pretty quickly, once I realized wow...I could have had that toy, if I just hadn't badgered my parents about it.

• Love 13
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I was dying laughing though when Zoe declared her room a girl's only zone.

Me too. I enjoyed that way too much! Probably because I grew up with only brothers and was on the receiving end of "no girls allowed", and didn't have many opportunities to declare "no BOYS allowed"! I was thinking "You go, girl!" :-) 

• Love 3