Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

On 7/5/2018 at 11:26 PM, BlakesMomma said:

I tend to disagree also just based on what I've seen and read. I've no idea how much things have changed regarding something like this in almost 20 years in Hollywood since Nash Bridges. But just based on what Nathan has said over the years, I also think it's possible Nathan wants more of an ensemble show so that he doesn't have the exhausting filming schedule that he had on Castle where they were in almost every scene.  I know I've read at least one, and possibly two, blurbs by those who have seen the pilot stating that this was definitely more of an ensemble show. But as you said, we will see.

+1. Nathan also teased about another project he's working on (a mysterious Uncharted project), so I think it's obvious that he doesn't want to be tied 18 hours/day to The Rookie, like he was to Castle.  The only way he can make time for side projects  is if The Rookie is an ensemble show.

This is not Nash Bridges.

The Uncharted project was a fan film-- very well done-- in which he played a videogame hero that gamers have been pushing NF to make a movie of for years. Apparently the character Nathan Drake looks like our boy, but is voiced by Nolan North?

NF put a link up on his Instagram account.

(edited)

Sorry but I just don't believe people sit on one channel all night just because they can't be bothered pushing a button the remote.

Gosh. I don't even watch one show for a whole hour

I switch channels during the commercials (especially that Trivago guy) and switch back when the thumbnail picture at the bottom of the screen shows my first show is back. Meantime I'm on HGTV with Bryan Baumer, Scott McGillvray and that very enthusiastic tiny blonde rehabber from Detroit.

BTW-- Why only 8pm or 10pm?  Is there nothing on ABC but a blank screen at 9PM?

Edited by femmefan1946
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, the premiere date has been set for October 16th at 10:00 p.m. ET.

Smart move, in my opinion.  Let the other shows' premiere chips fall where they may and then give people a new show to try.

Edited by TWP
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm hoping this show does well because NF seems to be one of the good guys (even if filthy rich) in our fallen world, but won't this be crushingly disappointing for him if it fails after all the hype? 

If this fails, I think he'll be fine. Let us remember, the man also has a fair share of failed shows under his belt. But if this goes belly up, he still has his huge sci-fi following to fall back on! His recent short film being a prime example...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, break21 said:

More casting news.  I wonder when they cast a part after they have been filming if the character was always planned and they couldn't find the right actor/actress or as they developed scripts they found a need for a new character to fill a void.

https://deadline.com/2018/08/the-rookie-danny-nucci-recur-abcs-crime-drama-series-1202441039/

It seems they only announce the casting right around the time the actor starts filming. In other words, this character may have been planned all along but they didn't start looking for and find the right actor until much closer to filming. And then the announcement was made.

I've seen other times when a guest actor casting isn't even announced until long after they've filmed the role, when the episode is close to airing. An example of this is Jewel Staite guest starring on Take Two. Jewel posted about filming the unnamed "secret" project long before her guest spot was announced, and it was only announced shortly before her episode aired. The same has been true of several of Nathan's roles. They were announced in the media long after he filmed them.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2018 at 2:38 AM, WendyCR72 said:

If this fails, I think he'll be fine. Let us remember, the man also has a fair share of failed shows under his belt. But if this goes belly up, he still has his huge sci-fi following to fall back on! His recent short film being a prime example...

Nathan's no rookie to the business (pun intended). He knows that any show can succeed or fail, no matter who the leads are. Anyone in the industry deals with it on a daily basis. I think he's been in the business long enough to be beyond any project being "crushingly disappointing".  He learned that with Firefly and has talked about learning after that to not fall in love with a job.

• Love 1

Nathan and the Rookie cast were at Paley yesterday.  They ran an old Castle episode on my local ABC channel.  It's amazing how much weight he's lost and how much younger he looks now.  I think by the end of Castle he was completely stressed-out.    Rookie is getting great reviews - I hope it hits for him.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Nathan Fillion talks about some of what's coming up on The Rookie on Tube Talk with Michael Ausiello.

Well that was cute.  Nathan, though, is one of those people who you're afraid to ask a question because he'll answer, and answer, and answer, ha-ha!  But I really appreciate all the promotion The Rookie is getting, and I hope it does really, really well.  The weak competition helps.  New Amsterdam=big meh.  I will forever root for Nathan's shows.  He is too much fun to watch.

10 hours ago, TWP said:

Well that was cute.  Nathan, though, is one of those people who you're afraid to ask a question because he'll answer, and answer, and answer, ha-ha!  But I really appreciate all the promotion The Rookie is getting, and I hope it does really, really well.  The weak competition helps.  New Amsterdam=big meh.  I will forever root for Nathan's shows.  He is too much fun to watch.

I gave New Amsterdam two episodes. Fell asleep during the second one. And the lead guy annoys me. Double big meh!

ABC's only two new fall dramas are The Rookie and A Million Little Things, which is sinking fast. Even The Good Doctor is down significantly from last season. I'm optimistic about The Rookie. Hope I'm correct. 

Quite a funny promo video posted on Nathan's IG courtesy of one Nathan Fillion.  ABC Promotion Department can give him a job if his day job doesn't work out.  Hope the show can utilize his charm and use it well, but at the same time, not letting it be a crutch for poor writing. 

5 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Quite a funny promo video posted on Nathan's IG courtesy of one Nathan Fillion.  ABC Promotion Department can give him a job if his day job doesn't work out.  Hope the show can utilize his charm and use it well, but at the same time, not letting it be a crutch for poor writing. 

Did you see that Mercedes Mason calls Nathan 'Sparkles'?   

• Love 1

One night away.  I don't know what to think.  It's gotten great reviews but USA Today wasn't thrilled.  

ABC needs this to hit - Channing Dungey's job probably depends on it,

They have promoted it endlessly, Nathan has promoted it endlessly.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed it hits.

NBC has "This Is Us" as their lead-in.

Rookie has Roseanne minus Roseanne.

They are depending on NF's fan-base to switch the channel and watch.  I just don't know.

2 hours ago, break21 said:

One night away.  I don't know what to think.  It's gotten great reviews but USA Today wasn't thrilled.  

ABC needs this to hit - Channing Dungey's job probably depends on it,

They have promoted it endlessly, Nathan has promoted it endlessly.

We'll see.  Fingers crossed it hits.

NBC has "This Is Us" as their lead-in.

Rookie has Roseanne minus Roseanne.

They are depending on NF's fan-base to switch the channel and watch.  I just don't know.

New Amsterdam isn't keeping a super sizeable chunk of the This Is Us audience.

I don't know if Dungey's job depends on The Rookie, but I think ABC has a great deal of confidence in the show to promote it so heavily.  

Roseanne minus Roseanne is going to garner a great deal of curiosity, making it a good lead-in this week at least.  And the reviews of The Connors say that it's a funny show, so we'll see.  The show on AFTER the Connors is supposed to be a great show too, if only my tired brain could remember its name.

Anything can happen.  The most prominent sign for me is how many promotional dollars ABC is putting into this.  They want TR to succeed.

Edited by TWP
1 hour ago, TWP said:

New Amsterdam isn't keeping a super sizeable chunk of the This Is Us audience.

I don't know if Dungey's job depends on The Rookie, but I think ABC has a great deal of confidence in the show to promote it so heavily.  

Roseanne minus Roseanne is going to garner a great deal of curiosity, making it a good lead-in this week at least.  And the reviews of The Connors say that it's a funny show, so we'll see.  The show on AFTER the Connors is supposed to be a great show too, if only my tired brain could remember its name.

Anything can happen.  The most prominent sign for me is how many promotional dollars ABC is putting into this.  They want TR to succeed.

ABC is dying this year.  They NEED this to work.  I just don't know  They've thrown everything they've got into it. I'm surprised Nathan isn't booked on Kimmel.

New Amsterdam is doing okay in the ratings.  It might have been a mistake to premiere The Rookie late.

I love Nathan and hope it succeeds    I'm not sure it will.  ABC has bet a lot on this show.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Do we know why they started it late?

No, but I think it was stupid.  They let Amsterdam get an audience before the Rookie ever premiered.  No clue what the thinking was behind that one.

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Do we know why they started it late?

Probably because The Connors had to catch up and needed some extra time to prepare episodes.  But  I don't think it was necessarily a bad idea.  The delay gave New Amsterdam time to premiere, time to sink and now people might be ready to try something new.  Had TR started in sync with the rest of the freshman shows, they'd be just another player in the field. It's an experiment, it could fail, but it's worth a try.

Yes, the ratings for NA are good enough for renewal, since it's been renewed, but they aren't blockbuster (a 40% loss from This is Us) and it doesn't mean they won't sink once The Rookie airs.   Or TR could pull eyes from cable and streaming, because I think many of Nathan's fans are non-broadcast viewers. But will those viewers watch in L+SD (or C+3) so that advertisers care?  Who knows. 

We shall see

Edited by TWP
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Deadline has reviewed the show. It's not exactly glowing with praise, though does discuss what the should could be versus what is.

Or maybe what it WILL be after the pilot.  For myself, I don't want to be constantly reminded of how old and thus incompetent Nolan is, when I am OLDER than he is!  So if it's true (from what I've read) that The Rookie PTB are trying to attract the older end of the demo, they won't meet their goal by dissing we oldsters.  Hopefully the purpose of the oldie shtick was to create good clips for the pilot ads, and they'll quickly move past the ageism.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2017 at 6:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Nothing new to report in terms of other cast, etc., yet, but I came across this EW article when this show was announced, and this mentions it being based on a true story. Huh! Who knew?

I keep wondering what the real story is. Was there actually a 40 y.o. rookie in the LAPD? Did it work out? 

1 hour ago, ketose said:

I keep wondering what the real story is. Was there actually a 40 y.o. rookie in the LAPD? Did it work out? 

The LAPD had an age limit of 34, however it was dropped in 1992 due to federal anti-discrimination laws.  In 1994, 59-year-old Edward Olivares graduated from the LAPD academy, becoming the oldest rookie in LAPD history - earlier that same year, a 45-year-old female officer, four weeks out of the academy, was shot and killed while responding to a call.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1994-11-29/news/1994333009_1_oldest-rookie-police-officer-olivares

Four moths after graduation, and while still in his probationary period, Olivares resigned from the force:

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-08/local/me-40213_1_training-officer

Olivares confirmed Tuesday that he had resigned Saturday because his training officers had warned him he didn't meet LAPD standards.  Olivares said his training officer informed him he was lacking in officer safety skills, a category that includes officers' ability to protect themselves in dealing with suspects, including using their guns. Olivares said he resigned because he was worried that he would endanger his fellow officers or the public.

A week later, he asked to be reinstated and was turned down.  This article from the time said he was considering "all options" which included possibly suing to return to the force.  I didn't find any follow up after this:

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-16/local/me-43553_1_oldest-rookie

19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Deadline has reviewed the show. It's not exactly glowing with praise, though does discuss what the should could be versus what is.

Having watched the show, I didn't see what that reviewer saw.  (But when's the last time a network show got more than faint praise from critics, eh?)  I actually thought Nolan was presented as quite a competent rookie.  With his mistakes naturally, but they showcased his abilities too for sure.  I didn't feel at all like it was a one sided ragging on the old incompetent guy. 

• Love 3

The ratings were disappointing.  1.0 in the demo - hope it adjusts up.   I hate to say this, I love NF but t might be a bomb.  Having said that, it has a lot of distribution world-wide.  I think ABC will be patient with it.  Be interesting to see what the streaming ratings bring in.  

I loved it, but after all the publicity it received, should have done better.

23 minutes ago, break21 said:

It didn't adjust up - stayed the same.

That is disappointing.   It might be a flop.

But it's in line with ABC's average, meaning a few other shows are much more likely to be cancelled. ABC is going to re-air Episode 1 in the old Castle time slot next week.  That may help it next Tuesday.  I thought for sure it was going to be a blockbuster the way that they were promoting it and are even now still promoting it with an additional episode airing.  But I can see if falling under the radar screen and then finding its way to Nexflix like Designated Survivor did.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TWP said:

But it's in line with ABC's average, meaning a few other shows are much more likely to be cancelled. ABC is going to re-air Episode 1 in the old Castle time slot next week.  That may help it next Tuesday.  I thought for sure it was going to be a blockbuster the way that they were promoting it and are even now still promoting it with an additional episode airing.  But I can see if falling under the radar screen and then finding its way to Nexflix like Designated Survivor did.

Yeah, but Designated Survivor had a good year before it tanked.   '

The ratings were bad,  As much as I  liked the show and like Nathan, it wasn't the ratings anyone expected.

When you are talking about a show ending up on Netflix after the first viewing that's not good.

I really liked it, but people just didn't tune in. 

3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Having watched the show, I didn't see what that reviewer saw.  (But when's the last time a network show got more than faint praise from critics, eh?)  I actually thought Nolan was presented as quite a competent rookie.  With his mistakes naturally, but they showcased his abilities too for sure.  I didn't feel at all like it was a one sided ragging on the old incompetent guy. 

I think that guy West was portrayed worse. He totally froze when the bullets started to fly.

I'll be okay with a one and done season. How long can he be a rookie, anyway? I just wish networks would plan for more limited run program rather than this Hunger Games schedule where producers try to retool mid-season to hang on for a renewal. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ketose said:

I think that guy West was portrayed worse. He totally froze when the bullets started to fly.

I'll be okay with a one and done season. How long can he be a rookie, anyway? I just wish networks would plan for more limited run program rather than this Hunger Games schedule where producers try to retool mid-season to hang on for a renewal. 

I think ABC has invested so much into this show and have so many international deals - they want this to work.

But, so the ratings aren't good, the executives at ABC are going to have more of a say in how the show goes, versus the show-runner and Nathan, and it will become a  mess trying to please everyone.

It stunned me a little it premiered that low.

If this fails, Nathan won't get a lead on Network TV again. 

He has a chance at Streaming Services.

Those low ratings were unexpected..  IMO - it was a good Pilot.  I think it started too late and New Amsterdam had a built-in audience,   

And despite how much of a fan I am,, people didn't turn the channel to watch Nathan Fillion.

And, it will be interesting to see the streaming numbers..

On 10/31/2017 at 10:11 PM, madmaverick said:

If you watch something like Brooklyn Nine Nine, cops clearly come in all shapes and sizes, and abilities, too.  So while I think there'll be the inevitable gags about an older man's fitness, I hope they don't beat that into the ground.  I do hope they focus some on what being a rookie actually entails (I've never watched Rookie Blue), and not just make the character into a regular cop straight off the bat.    I have no idea, but do rookie cops have to wear uniforms and be partnered with training officers for a period of time?  And I actually have no idea if there's an age limit to application to the police academy, as well as other requirements.  I would be interested to know what this character did for a living before deciding to go for his dream, and what made him want to become a cop.  I'd rather hope it's not because of a personal tragedy to do with a parent. ;) 

Honestly, I think the chances of any show lasting anywhere close to Castle's duration these days are almost nil, and that's not a bad thing in my opinion anyway.  Any show that lasts for more than a season is already a small miracle, and to be honest, if the show's quality isn't up to scratch, I'd rather it be put out of misery sooner rather than later so Nathan can move onto the next thing.  So much depends on the writing, and a strong ensemble.

I think there's a fanfic with the premise where Castle becomes a rookie (after poor Alexis died) and Beckett is his training officer.  So our pipe dream might have to live in fanfic for now. ;)

I wish @Snowprince the LAPD commentator for Southland over on TWOP was here.  They had a LAPD Training Officer and his Boot relationship as one of the partnerships on that show. As I understand it the probationary period is a year. But of course if the show proves popular and survives they find a reason to keep partnerships together as with Malloy and Reed from Adam-12 back in 1969.

As far as uniforms I remember an episode that suggest that by tradition Boots wore a long sleeve  uniforms year round, where as regular officers had the option of short sleeve during certain months of the year. But then LAPD is a no visible tattoo force so I am seeing a lot more long sleeves and neck ties  on officers during  the hottest days.

23 minutes ago, Raja said:

I wish @Snowprince the LAPD commentator for Southland over on TWOP was here.  They had a LAPD Training Officer and his Boot relationship as one of the partnerships on that show. As I understand it the probationary period is a year. But of course if the show proves popular and survives they find a reason to keep partnerships together as with Malloy and Reed from Adam-12 back in 1969.

As far as uniforms I remember an episode that suggest that by tradition Boots wore a long sleeve  uniforms year round, where as regular officers had the option of short sleeve during certain months of the year. But then LAPD is a no visible tattoo force so I am seeing a lot more long sleeves and neck ties  on officers during  the hottest days.

I'm here Raja, and what you've said is pretty much spot on. I should probably give this one a chance, but SouthLAnd set the bar so high and from snippets I've seen I doubt I could get through this one with a straight face.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, break21 said:

I think ABC has invested so much into this show and have so many international deals - they want this to work.

But, so the ratings aren't good, the executives at ABC are going to have more of a say in how the show goes, versus the show-runner and Nathan, and it will become a  mess trying to please everyone.

It stunned me a little it premiered that low.

If this fails, Nathan won't get a lead on Network TV again. 

He has a chance at Streaming Services.

Those low ratings were unexpected..  IMO - it was a good Pilot.  I think it started too late and New Amsterdam had a built-in audience,   

And despite how much of a fan I am,, people didn't turn the channel to watch Nathan Fillion.

And, it will be interesting to see the streaming numbers..

I never thought I'd meet someone more pessimistic than me.  It's been a lifelong journey, but I'm glad I've finally found you ;-).

You said that if TR fails, Nathan won't get a lead on Network TV again? In what universe?  You might have said that after Firefly, or Drive, or even Castle with the cloud that fell over the show.  But here he is.  (And BTW, nobody from Castle has had phenomenal success with their own projects, except maybe Huertas and he literally only plays a small role in that success.  Castle was a package deal that any one of the players would and will have difficulty recreating again.).   

The critics have been mediocre about TR, but the one place where they've agreed is that Nathan stands out for his charisma and likeability.  Do you really think networks would never give a charismatic guy like him a chance again if this fails?   I don't.

ABC has invested heavily in this show. I think more likely ABC will let this go a season or a half a season, and if things go further south, they'll bring TR back with a new showrunner.  Why they keep giving Hawley work is a complete mystery to me.  But heh, second chances, that's what TR is about, even for Hawley, heh.

And regarding the low ratings, they were totally expected.  Everyone was talking about how Tuesday at 10:00pm is well known as ABC's death slot and it'll be a miracle if TR overcomes that curse.   Think what the ratings would be if A Million Little Things had aired in the spot.  The Rookie did no worse than the 2017 show in the slot and given that Nathan has more popularity than the star of Kevin (Probably) Saves the World, it's quite possible he'll do better.  Right now, TR is in second place for all 10pm shows on ABC.  My gawl,  Grim Reaper is the one who pointed that out, and he'd definitely say if the ratings were terrible.    I think putting TR in the death slot was a sign that ABC had confidence in Nathan.  I think this needs to play out.  And regarding streaming, actors love streaming.  If TR lasts two years and then goes 10 episodes a year in streaming, Nathan would likely be thrilled. He has actually been wanting that.

Oh and I should mention also that Castle struggled to get off the ground.  It was touch and go for a couple of seasons.  Yes, Castle's raw numbers were better, but it was a different time for TV viewing.

The streaming/DVR numbers won't matter to renewal at all, but maybe they'll make you feel better.  The rebroadcast on Monday, followed by another episode on Tuesday will be interesting. 

Hang in there.

I worked in Network TV for awhile.  A lot of money went into that show and promotion budget was crazy.  .  I love Nathan but it underperformed.  He won't get another chance like this again.

I like Nathan too - but this was a big hit on his ability to lead a show.  It won't happen again.

He'll be fine - he's rich - if he never worked another day in his life he'd lead the life most of us would dream of.

For so me reason, this was DOA.  Didn't see it coming.   A lot of people invested a lot of money into this show and it didn't pan out.  

I suspect next episode will go fractional.   

10 hours ago, Snowprince said:

I'm here Raja, and what you've said is pretty much spot on. I should probably give this one a chance, but SouthLAnd set the bar so high and from snippets I've seen I doubt I could get through this one with a straight face.

Not sure if "with a straight face" was a double entendre or not, @Snowprince, but one of this show's objectives is for the viewer not to get through the episode with a straight face. ;-)

13 hours ago, TWP said:

The critics have been mediocre about TR, but the one place where they've agreed is that Nathan stands out for his charisma and likeability.  Do you really think networks would never give a charismatic guy like him a chance again if this fails?   I don't

Even if NF doesn't do another scripted show on any platform, his personality would always make him a favorite guest on talk shows. But I also think a cable or streaming scripted show might better serve his talents.

I thought from the beginning that it was a mistake to cast someone a little older than the character in this role. I can see why they thought that made sense, but, no. That mistake is not going to change.

But it seems the bigger issue is the unpleasantness of the characters' interactions. I assume the bullying by the superiors will dissipate into a team bond of at least begrudging mutual respect by mid season à la The Closer, but, understandably, it seems that in today's climate of vicious social media bashing, few viewers have the patience for that, and, perhaps more importantly, few have any reason to anticipate that.

Even if NF's character saves his boss's kitten from a hurricane in the second episode and they all sing Kumbaya, it might be too late.

Edited by shapeshifter
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Even if NF doesn't do another scripted show on any platform, his personality would always make him a favorite guest on talk shows. But I also think a cable or streaming scripted show might better serve his talents.

I thought from the beginning that it was a mistake to cast someone a little older than the character in this role. I can see why they thought that made sense, but, no. That mistake is not going to change.

But it seems the bigger issue is the unpleasantness of the characters' interactions. I assume the bullying by the superiors will dissipate into a team bond of at least begrudging mutual respect by mid season à la The Closer, but, understandably, it seems that in today's climate of vicious social media bashing, few viewers have the patience for that, and, perhaps more importantly, few have any reason to anticipate that.

Even if NF's character saves his boss's kitten from a hurricane in the second episode and they all sing Kumbaya, it might be too late.

Agree - I think he'd do better on a cable or a streaming service.  I think they made a mistake in hooking his character up with a much younger woman.   I didn't like that - a site said it was "creepy".   They are depending on older women to watch and that didn't help.

I really liked the pilot but it had problems.   And Deadline trashing it at the last moment didn't help.   

It has huge international sales so that might help if it does better in countries other than the U.S,

But, it's expensive to produce.  They have most of their scenes on-site and costs a lot of money.   

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not sure if "with a straight face" was a double entendre or not, @Snowprince, but one of this show's objectives is for the viewer not to get through the episode with a straight face. ;-)

I was referring to the shows accuracy/credibility procedurally speaking. Most cop shows have about as much relationship to procedural accuracy as Christmas has to the Easter Bunny. I know it's a drama not a documentary, but suspension of disbelief can only go so far before I collapse into uncontrollable laughter...as I did with Castle the few time I watched it.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1

You really can't equate a TV show with reality in any way.  The Rookie was billed as "Hill Street Blues meets Grey's Anatomy".  I wish that someone in the medical community would do a study regarding just how FIRED every single Grey's character would be for the things they've done, if Seattle Grace was a real-life hospital.  The magnitude of F.I.R.E.D. would be off the charts, I'm sure.  So you basically have to expect The Rookie to be just as supremely out of touch with reality.  And figure that it's good for laughs. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TWP said:

You really can't equate a TV show with reality in any way.  The Rookie was billed as "Hill Street Blues meets Grey's Anatomy".  I wish that someone in the medical community would do a study regarding just how FIRED every single Grey's character would be for the things they've done, if Seattle Grace was a real-life hospital.  The magnitude of F.I.R.E.D. would be off the charts, I'm sure.  So you basically have to expect The Rookie to be just as supremely out of touch with reality.  And figure that it's good for laughs. 

You're absolutely right and I agree with you 110%. The sometimes sad/maddening thing is though, there are PLENTY of people out there who will watch these shows and BELIEVE THAT'S HOW IT REALLY IS! I can't tell you how many times people have been shocked...SHOCKED I tell you...because they got their law degrees by watching The Practice but what happened on TV didn't happen in the real world..

• Love 3

I think that airing it an hour earlier on Tuesday would have been better. I do think it's a good show..and i think ABC, if it's smart, will bide it's time, till it can sell it for syndication in a year or two. I think holding i off 'till Midseason would have been better...Right now, football and baseball are all over the networks...and it has all the other new shows to compete with. 

I will say, right now, God Friended Me and The Rookie are the only newbies to impress me..and I just discovered 9-1-1 last week and am catching up on Hulu.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Snowprince said:

You're absolutely right and I agree with you 110%. The sometimes sad/maddening thing is though, there are PLENTY of people out there who will watch these shows and BELIEVE THAT'S HOW IT REALLY IS! I can't tell you how many times people have been shocked...SHOCKED I tell you...because they got their law degrees by watching The Practice but what happened on TV didn't happen in the real world..

I have to wonder how many of them believe that people can really fly, transport themselves through time and space, or reawaken from the dead.   TV is make believe.  Escapism is the whole point of it.  I mean, sometimes it's so far-fetched that it takes the fun away, but for the most part, checking reality at the door is why we're here.  Otherwise we'd be watching documentaries or -- gawd forbid --  news!

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

Honestly, I don't get that pov at all.  TV is full of men and women in their 40s whose characters' age might be a little younger.  I really think the older you get, the less the difference a handful of years matters.

On 10/18/2018 at 10:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

But TV drama is largely generated by conflict.  If everyone got along in episode 1, where would the show go?  I honestly did not find the characters' interactions to be any different than one would expect in the environment they are depicting.  And there was a range of interactions, not every relationship was antagonistic. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:10 AM, break21 said:

Agree - I think he'd do better on a cable or a streaming service.  I think they made a mistake in hooking his character up with a much younger woman.   I didn't like that - a site said it was "creepy".   They are depending on older women to watch and that didn't help.

I really liked the pilot but it had problems.   And Deadline trashing it at the last moment didn't help.   

It has huge international sales so that might help if it does better in countries other than the U.S,

But, it's expensive to produce.  They have most of their scenes on-site and costs a lot of money.   

I think that's making a lot of assumptions of what older or younger male and female viewers like or don't like to watch.   Something like the GoT is full of unconventional relationships and ugly behaviour, and it's the biggest hit on the planet.   Who cares about one bad review (that was completely off base imo)?  Shrugs.  Cable/streaming shows come without the ratings pressure but nowadays the quality can be quite variable too.

• Love 3