Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I do think it will be more like 9-1-1 where there isn't a case of the week (they're cops, not detectives), but several different calls/situations they have to deal with each episode, while learning more about the characters and unfolding Nolan's journey. One thing about cop calls, as opposed to homicides, is the infinite variety of calls they get from mundane to extreme.

I think I did read something about ABC saying it would be a self-contained hour.  I don't mind a bit of serialization myself but it's hard with cop shows.

I really like the full trailer, except for one line. The lady in the bank saying "you were really.....brave" was delivered with enough cheese to feed a herd of mice. I'm hoping in the context of the full episode it won't be quite so bad.

I didn't care for the unicorn line myself.  

Just my guess on the romance thing, but if they're starting out with it in the first episode, I don't expect it to be a long running thing. I think it may be part of his mid-life journey to find out who he is and what he does and doesn't really want for his life going forward.

I agree that it's likely to be put on the back burner after the first episode if they're throwing that in there already.   I don't mind a subtle romantic thread if done right, but I don't think any romance is going to dominate this show.  But I don't know that police officers are allowed to date co-workers, partners or superiors, so not much choice for Nolan if going for reality. 

(edited)
On May 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM, TWP said:

A link to the Official Trailer (long version).  ABC's You Tube.  
I worry just a little that it could get cheesy.  We'll see what happens

{https://youtu.be/k9K06dCP-lc}

It looks good to me, but I like cheese—with something to drink. 

More importantly, it looks like there will be some levity. Hopefully the writers will drop in more humor as they see it's NP's forté.

My concern is that although NP's Hollywood 50 does look like a Muggle's 40, if the show goes a few years, he'll have to keep up appearances.

ETA: IIRC, the stern superior officer is the same actor who as the best part of Kyra Sedgewick's recently failed show.

Edited by shapeshifter

Some people on social media have seen the pilot and say it's really good.   I think it has a chance.  It's competition has the "This Is Us" lead-in.   That's tough but people like Nathan Fillion.     Hard to say if it will survive but it has a chance in a tough time-slot.

6 hours ago, break21 said:

Some people on social media have seen the pilot and say it's really good.   I think it has a chance.  It's competition has the "This Is Us" lead-in.   That's tough but people like Nathan Fillion.     Hard to say if it will survive but it has a chance in a tough time-slot.

Even though New Amsterdam has "This Is Us" for the lead in, people won't stay for it if they don't like it. They'll just click that remote.  A lot of the comments I've seen for New Amsterdam from the TV critics (including even hating the title and saying it alone will doom the show) have not been great. 

And then again, The Rookie has Roseann for the lead in of the night followed by two renewed shows with existing audiences. Shows might get a one time premiere boost from a popular lead in, but after that it succeeds or fails on its own merits IMO.

I think it has a popular lead actor, a very relatable premise, and people love to root for the underdog which is rooting for John Nolan to succeed. I think it has a better than average chance of doing well.

It sounds like they are going to focus on the characters, which I think is always a good thing, and how the job impacts their lives. 

From the International Upfronts Rookie panel tonight:

“It’s about the emotional journey of our characters and how their lives are impacted by police work. For John, he has to handle the pressure of having to make the right decision every time, which can be life and death.” @NathanFillion ‘John Nolan’ & Executive Producer #TheRookie

“The Rookie is grounded in the reality of police work, with a gamut of human experience. The show lives in the unexpected – at any moment, our cops can find themselves in great danger, deep emotion or humorous situations.” @AlexiHawley Writer & Executive Producer, #TheRookie

“The use of body and dash cams gives the show an immediacy and unique style, one that puts the audience inside the scene, and inside our characters’ heads in a fresh and exciting way.” Liz Friedlander, Director, #TheRookie #LAScreenings #eOneTV

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

From the International Upfronts Rookie panel tonight:

“It’s about the emotional journey of our characters and how their lives are impacted by police work. For John, he has to handle the pressure of having to make the right decision every time, which can be life and death.” @NathanFillion ‘John Nolan’ & Executive Producer #TheRookie

“The Rookie is grounded in the reality of police work, with a gamut of human experience. The show lives in the unexpected – at any moment, our cops can find themselves in great danger, deep emotion or humorous situations.” @AlexiHawley Writer & Executive Producer, #TheRookie

“The use of body and dash cams gives the show an immediacy and unique style, one that puts the audience inside the scene, and inside our characters’ heads in a fresh and exciting way.” Liz Friedlander, Director, #TheRookie #LAScreenings #eOneTV

So potentially Barney Miller for the 21st century?

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:35 AM, shapeshifter said:

So potentially Barney Miller for the 21st century?

...also with some hints of Grey's Anatomy?  Hard meh to that.  I want to love this so much, but only will if I don't get a Grey's Anatomy vibe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I see yet ANOTHER Dick Wolf show got good vibes, too, at that. Hope any or all of these have some measure of success if just to stop the glut of reality or news magazines.

I'm tired if reality too.  I think it has a really good chance.  It has been compared to 9-1-1.  I couldn't have cared less about that show until I found out Connie Britton was involved.  I watched it for her.  Friday Night Lights is my favorite show and I will watch Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler in anything.  They are really good about picking good roles.  I think Nathan is the same way.  9-1-1 had a crappy lead-in with the declining X-flles but it was good enough and had enough star-power that people turned the channel and watched.    Rookie could be the same way.  I'd rather it was a 13 episode series than a 22 or 24.   That is too much and when shows die.  I think people don't like filler - do a good 13  episode series and come back next year.

ABC is running  promos during the Basketball Finals - way earlier than I would have thought.  With Roseanne gone, they need "The Rookie" to succeed.   Having said that, the promos look cheesy.  They really need to  get a decent promo out there.   And, I'd put it at 8:00 on Tuesday and build behind it.  NF is ABC's hope right now.  Get a decent promo, please.

9 hours ago, break21 said:

ABC is running  promos during the Basketball Finals - way earlier than I would have thought.  With Roseanne gone, they need "The Rookie" to succeed.   Having said that, the promos look cheesy.  They really need to  get a decent promo out there.   And, I'd put it at 8:00 on Tuesday and build behind it.  NF is ABC's hope right now.  Get a decent promo, please.

No way is this going to 8:00 p.m. if just because ABC is now looking into spinoffs with both Sara Gilbert's Darlene from Roseanne and/or a spinoff of the recently-ended The Middle with Eden Sher's Sue character. Those seem to be in contention, at least from what I read.

Canada's CTV has picked up The Rookie as their top "get" for the fall according to numerous articles. Apparently Canada buys very quickly at the LA Screenings because they want to have their ducks in a row before their Canadian Upfronts in a couple days. According to THR the European markets don't usually confirm their buys until later this summer.

Unlike other foreign buyers, the Canadians buy on the hop during their annual Hollywood shopping expedition before rushing back to Toronto to unveil their fall primetime schedules at their own upfront presentations in early June. European broadcasters, by contrast, can window-shop at the Los Angeles Screenings before buying new U.S. shows later this summer. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ctv-picks-up-rookie-magnum-pi-1116078

I didn't find The Rookie promo all that cheesy but that's just my opinion. 

Saw these comments about the pilot from ProudTVJunkie:

@ProudTVJunkie

Replying to @ashley_slomo @NathanFillion

I was able to view the pilot episode. I was skeptical going in, but it's actually quite good. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

11:40 PM - 3 Jun 2018

@ProudTVJunkie

Replying to @ashley_slomo @NathanFillion @Southland_TNT

I used to review Southland, and I loved it too. The Rookie pilot wasn't as edgy. Think of it as a cross between Southland and Rookie Blue. Probably the most dramatic role I've seen NF do in some time.

Also from the ProudTVJunkie on another board:

I can't give away too much. The pilot I saw could still be further edited before it airs in the fall, so it's not an official copy for review. ABC has it marked as "For Informational Purposes" for advertisers and the media.
I like Nathan, but knowing that this show was created, and the pilot episode written by Alexi Hawley, the co-showrunner for the awful Castle season 8, I was a little hesitant.
Well The Rookie is a really good cop show! Perhaps Hawley just needs to stay away from writing romance.
I enjoyed Nathan, and the rest of the cast, a great deal. It reminds me a little of the ABC show, Rookie Blue, with a slightly different twist. I'm happy to recommend that everyone should check it out, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

"He's given a hard time, but not by everyone, which I found refreshing. He's also one of three rookies, each with their own background, training officer and story. John Nolan is certainly the protagonist for the show, but there's more than just his story. "

"I thought the chemistry between the cast was great. I've enjoyed many of the actors in other roles, (Eric Winter, Afton Williamson, Richard T. Jones) and I like them here. This is definitely an ensemble show. Each character seems to have their own story which I expect will be explored as the season goes forward. 

Like I said earlier, I started the episode questioning if I'd like it, and ended it looking forward to see more." 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, WendyCR72 said:

No way is this going to 8:00 p.m. if just because ABC is now looking into spinoffs with both Sara Gilbert's Darlene from Roseanne and/or a spinoff of the recently-ended The Middle with Eden Sher's Sue character. Those seem to be in contention, at least from what I read.

Agree, it won't happen, but it should.   "Darlene" will die a fast death.  Sue Heck is great as an ensemble actress, if I had to watch her carry the show I couldn't change the channel fast enough.  ABC has next to nothing right now.  I'd roll the dice, put him at 8 and put other series behind him.   As shown with the Upfronts, their stars were Rosanne and Nathan.  Down to one.  I would never bury him at 10:00 on Tuesday night.

There is a reason they are last in the ratings.  They are dumb with scheduling and don't take chances.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, break21 said:

Agree, it won't happen, but it should.   "Darlene" will die a fast death.  Sue Heck is great as an ensemble actress, if I had to watch her carry the show I couldn't change the channel fast enough.  ABC has next to nothing right now.  I'd roll the dice, put him at 8 and put other series behind him.   As shown with the Upfronts, their stars were Rosanne and Nathan.  Down to one.  I would never bury him at 10:00 on Tuesday night.

There is a reason they are last in the ratings.  They are dumb with scheduling and don't take chances.

I think The Rookie stories can't be served well at 8pm.  It requires a later time slot due to the nature of the series, some of the darker issues cops deal with all the time.

• Love 1

ABC pushed "The Rookie" again during the basketball game.

Nobody agrees, but I wouldn't bury him at 10 on Tuesday. He's the face of ABC.  

I suspect it will be all Nathan all the time- they need this to work.  Just give him a decent timeslot..   No way I'd put him at 10 on Tuesday night.  It is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, break21 said:

ABC pushed "The Rookie" again during the basketball game.

Nobody agrees, but I wouldn't bury him at 10 on Tuesday. He's the face of ABC.  

I suspect it will be all Nathan all the time- they need this to work.  Just give him a decent timeslot..   No way I'd put him at 10 on Tuesday night.  It is ridiculous.

But it's chicken and egg. While Tuesday has been problematic now, once upon a time, NYPD Blue held that slot. And the neurotic thirtysomething in the mid-'80s. So the network will try and put a well-reviewed show in such a slot to break the dead-slot cycle. The slot worked before, so ABC is hoping it can work again, I guess.

If not, it remains dead. And something has to be put there. So why now a show that is getting buzz? It's about chance.

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But it's chicken and egg. While Tuesday has been problematic now, once upon a time, NYPD Blue held that slot. And the neurotic thirtysomething in the mid-'80s. So the network will try and put a well-reviewed show in such a slot to break the dead-slot cycle. The slot worked before, so ABC is hoping it can work again, I guess.

If not, it remains dead. And something has to be put there. So why now a show that is getting buzz? It's about chance.

We'll see.  They paid a fortune for him and they are already spending a fortune promoting it.

I just don't understand why you take your biggest star and throw him on Tuesday at 10.   People like Nathan Fillion.   I suspect his Q rating is off the charts.  I'd have him open a night - no way I would stick him at 10 on Tuesday.  This is a mistake, IMO.   

10 hours ago, break21 said:

We'll see.  They paid a fortune for him and they are already spending a fortune promoting it.

I just don't understand why you take your biggest star and throw him on Tuesday at 10.   People like Nathan Fillion.   I suspect his Q rating is off the charts.  I'd have him open a night - no way I would stick him at 10 on Tuesday.  This is a mistake, IMO.   

But I agree with whomever said this is not an 8:00 p.m. show. At least, not based on the trailer. So it's a matter of balancing the new shows with established that may already have the later slots on another night. If people do like Nathan Fillion as ABC thinks, people will watch, no matter what. As you said, though, we'll see!

We will see.  I just don't get it.  He has to be the highest paid actor on ABC.  They are dying in the ratings  - and they stick him at 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday night..  I just don't understand - why pay him a fortune and stick him in the death slot.  Oh well, we will see.

3 hours ago, break21 said:

We will see.  I just don't get it.  He has to be the highest paid actor on ABC.  They are dying in the ratings  - and they stick him at 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday night..  I just don't understand - why pay him a fortune and stick him in the death slot.  Oh well, we will see.

I think you forgot about Ellen Pompeo.

They put him in that spot for a reason, to end the supposed "death slot". That means they have a lot of faith in Nathan and the show. That's not a bad thing.  Now, if they had stuck him on Friday or Saturday you would have a reason to be concerned. 

(edited)
On 6/8/2018 at 6:17 AM, BlakesMomma said:

I think you forgot about Ellen Pompeo.

They put him in that spot for a reason, to end the supposed "death slot". That means they have a lot of faith in Nathan and the show. That's not a bad thing.  Now, if they had stuck him on Friday or Saturday you would have a reason to be concerned. 

Some of the Modern Family cast (e.g. Vergara) may be ahead of him too.

And I'm with you.  I think they're trying to strengthen Tuesday night.  Roseanne was supposed to do that too, but you know.

Edited by TWP

But as many pointed out in the comments, that would put it head to head with NCIS. And although that's old, it's still popular. So I think that could hurt The Rookie by doing such a move.

Yes, there is DVR. But it is still very hard to break people from established shows and routines.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

But as many pointed out in the comments, that would put it head to head with NCIS. And although that's old, it's still popular. So I think that could hurt The Rookie by doing such a move.

Yes, there is DVR. But it is still very hard to break people from established shows and routines.

Possibly, but without a strong lead-in, the entire night could tank.  "Darlene" is a non-starter - there is already talk of boycotts.  "The Middle" was pulling 1.2's with the Roseanne lead-in and Patricia Heaton.  The Sue character is just too polarizing to carry a show.  "Splitting Up Together" was just about hanging on, and there's a new comedy they are trying to launch without a good lead-in.    So, the entire night potentially tanks until 10:00, and then you are counting on people to change the channel to watch "The Rookie".  I'd put him at 8:00, take a chance, and let him kick-off the night.   IMO,  when you are in 3rd place, you need to take chances.

Also, NCIS lost Pauley Perrette amid a feud with Mark Harmon.

13 hours ago, break21 said:

Possibly, but without a strong lead-in, the entire night could tank.  "Darlene" is a non-starter - there is already talk of boycotts.  "The Middle" was pulling 1.2's with the Roseanne lead-in and Patricia Heaton.  The Sue character is just too polarizing to carry a show.  "Splitting Up Together" was just about hanging on, and there's a new comedy they are trying to launch without a good lead-in.    So, the entire night potentially tanks until 10:00, and then you are counting on people to change the channel to watch "The Rookie".  I'd put him at 8:00, take a chance, and let him kick-off the night.   IMO,  when you are in 3rd place, you need to take chances.

Also, NCIS lost Pauley Perrette amid a feud with Mark Harmon.

Sorry but I just don't believe people sit on one channel all night just because they can't be bothered pushing a button the remote. I know I sure don't.  I believe if ABC promotes it well, people will tune in.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Based on reaction, it doesn't seem like many mourn the loss much!  :-)  But I could be wrong.

I think, like just about every fandom, when the leads start fighting the fans take sides.  Harmon has taken some hits in the tabloids, but so has Perrette.  I don't watch it so I don't really know though.  Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.  

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Looks like The Rookie will still have Roseanne as a lead in, so to speak. ABC has greenlit a spinoff, tentatively titled The Conners, which will air at Tuesdays at 8:00 p.m. ET, the same slot Roseanne had. This has a 10-episode order.

Not surprising.  Prediction - comedies will flop on Tuesday and may take Nathan down with them.  ABC = home of third place.  If you don't take chances, nothing will change.  Same old, same old from ABC.  Blah.

I keep wondering why they have 50-year-old NF playing a 40-year-old. Why not make him a 45-year-old rookie? It just seems like a potential for NF fans to feel sorry for him instead of enjoying the role he is playing. IDK. Maybe there will be fourth wall-breaking asides and in-jokes about his age, and it will work.

12 hours ago, break21 said:

Not surprising.  Prediction - comedies will flop on Tuesday and may take Nathan down with them.  ABC = home of third place.  If you don't take chances, nothing will change.  Same old, same old from ABC.  Blah.

Actually in scripted, non-sports ratings, ABC finished the season just a hair above the rest.

Not sure why you're so convinced the Tuesday comedies will tank because Blackish and Splitting Up Together held their own well in this past season, both above ABC's average of all their shows. Roseann will likely lose some viewers but they may also gain some now that she's gone. And the new ABC comedy The Kids Are Alright was mentioned as the only worthwhile new comedy from any of the networks for the fall season by one of the TV critics.

53 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Actually in scripted, non-sports ratings, ABC finished the season just a hair above the rest.

Not sure why you're so convinced the Tuesday comedies will tank because Blackish and Splitting Up Together held their own well in this past season, both above ABC's average of all their shows. Roseann will likely lose some viewers but they may also gain some now that she's gone. And the new ABC comedy The Kids Are Alright was mentioned as the only worthwhile new comedy from any of the networks for the fall season by one of the TV critics.

Disaster in the making.  Roseanne will flop without Roseanne.   New comedy has no lead-in.     Blackish is on Wed,  Splitting Up Together sneaked through with Roseanne (no Roseanne now).

We will see - let's agree to disagree - I think we both want "The Rookie" to be a hit.  

Should have started it at 8 and kicked off the night.  It's another ABC disaster.  

If I am wrong, feel free to take a victory lap - IMO - it's a mess.

37 minutes ago, break21 said:

Disaster in the making.  Roseanne will flop without Roseanne.   New comedy has no lead-in.     Blackish is on Wed,  Splitting Up Together sneaked through with Roseanne (no Roseanne now).

We will see - let's agree to disagree - I think we both want "The Rookie" to be a hit.  

Should have started it at 8 and kicked off the night.  It's another ABC disaster.  

If I am wrong, feel free to take a victory lap - IMO - it's a mess.

I will be happy to agree to disagree. :-) I definitely want it to be a hit!

Did you mean Blackish WAS on Wednesday night? Because it's listed on Tuesdays now according to Deadline's ABC fall schedule.

TUESDAY
8 PM — TBA (Now the new Roseann)
8:30 PM — THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT
9 PM — black-ish
9:30 PM — Splitting Up Together
10 PM — THE ROOKIE

My fingers are crossed for taking that victory lap.  

1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

I will be happy to agree to disagree. :-) I definitely want it to be a hit!

Did you mean Blackish WAS on Wednesday night? Because it's listed on Tuesdays now according to Deadline's ABC fall schedule.

TUESDAY
8 PM — TBA (Now the new Roseann)
8:30 PM — THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT
9 PM — black-ish
9:30 PM — Splitting Up Together
10 PM — THE ROOKIE

My fingers are crossed for taking that victory lap.  

We're good - I love NF and I hope you get that victory lap.  I didn't know Blackish was on Tues. schedule.

Let's see what happens.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I keep wondering why they have 50-year-old NF playing a 40-year-old. Why not make him a 45-year-old rookie? It just seems like a potential for NF fans to feel sorry for him instead of enjoying the role he is playing. IDK. Maybe there will be fourth wall-breaking asides and in-jokes about his age, and it will work.

I read this was based on a true story. Maybe the real guy was 40. All I can figure, anyway!

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, shapeshifter said:

I read 40 is the age limit for joining the LAPD.    NF is 47.

They ran a promo during whatever ABC's "Dateline" equivalent is.  I've been complaining about the lack of humor - they changed it up -  the first line was funny - about his cholesterol level.  It wasn't Bumbling Castle  - it was smart and funny.  If they can do those kind of lines with the drama and ensemble - it'll work.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, break21 said:

I read 40 is the age limit for joining the LAPD.    NF is 47.

I wish people would stop being so hung up on the age thing, just enjoy the story. Everything I've read indicates no upper age limit to join the LAPD.

2 hours ago, break21 said:

They ran a promo during whatever ABC's "Dateline" equivalent is.  I've been complaining about the lack of humor - they changed it up -  the first line was funny - about his cholesterol level.  It wasn't Bumbling Castle  - it was smart and funny.  If they can do those kind of lines with the drama and ensemble - it'll work.  Fingers crossed.

I saw that last night on 20/20. I've been hoping they'd change it up so they didn't keep running the same one over and over because they run it fairly often. It seems they are running The Rookie promo a lot more than any other of their fall shows. They only ones I've seen besides The Rookie are for their current summer shows.

I really hope we get a lot of interaction between Nathan and Mercedes Mason because I really like their chemistry, the little I've seen. 

• Love 1

France picked it up.    ABC needs this to work.  It is international, it has high-hopes in U.S  I suspect NF will be basically everywhere the months ahead,   ABC has a lot riding on this show.  Reviews say it is good.  I don't like the scheduling but we will see.

• Love 1

Writers on the 90s cop show Nash Bridges starring Don Johnson were given a document to guide them after they were hired that said in the first paragraph THIS IS NOT AN ENSEMBLE SHOW'. I'm going to assume the same directive was given for writers for The Rookie.

6 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Writers on the 90s cop show Nash Bridges starring Don Johnson were given a document to guide them after they were hired that said in the first paragraph THIS IS NOT AN ENSEMBLE SHOW'. I'm going to assume the same directive was given for writers for The Rookie.

I have to disagree considering the number of people hired. Will Fillion/his character John be the draw/focal point? Sure. But I do think the other characters may have their moments. But we'll see which of us is right when this airs.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:
10 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I have to disagree considering the number of people hired. Will Fillion/his character John be the draw/focal point? Sure. But I do think the other characters may have their moments. But we'll see which of us is right when this airs.

1. I can't imagine a "THIS IS NOT AN ENSEMBLE SHOW" directive being put in writing in this day and age. Am I wrong in my thinking about this? (But that is an interesting factoid.)
  2. I've been catching some Nash Bridges episodes on COZI TV lately, and the secondary characters do get to have the occasional episode in which they have at least as much screen time as DJ's; basically, the secondary character is in trouble, and Nash saves them.*

*Using plural form of pronoun to indicate could be either gender 

(edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 12:55 AM, WendyCR72 said:

On 7/5/2018 at 4:48 AM, shapeshifter said:
  1. I can't imagine a "THIS IS NOT AN ENSEMBLE SHOW" directive being put in writing in this day and age. Am I wrong in my thinking about this? (But that is an interesting factoid.)
  2. I've been catching some Nash Bridges episodes on COZI TV lately, and the secondary characters do get to have the occasional episode in which they have at least as much screen time as DJ's; basically, the secondary character is in trouble, and Nash saves them.*

*Using plural form of pronoun to indicate could be either gender 

It's just two days ago I listened to the Nash Bridges writers reunion last month at the ATX Festival featuring writers  like Carlton Cuse(co-creator of Lost) and Shawn Ryan(creator of The Shield). There's a lot of funny stories and it was interesting learning about about writing for a "star vehicle" show. Ryan who create and produces the new show SWAT starring Shemar Moore: 

"(co-creator Carlton Cuse) handed me a document before I started the job and on the first paragraph it said 'THIS IS NOT AN ENSEMBLE SHOW. THIS IS A STAR VEHICLE FOR DON JOHNSON." The idea is people love Don Johnson and we're going to give them different versions of the Don Johnson they want to see each week." I think of those terms with Shemar Moore I told my writers this isn't an ensemble show, this is a Shemar Moore delivery vehicle, y'know? We're going to show different sides of Shemar. Yes we're going to give the other actors good stuff to do but first and foremost, if Shemar's in the scene we have to give him something cool to do in the scene."

Glen Mazzara(who would be producer on The Walking Dead):

"The most important lesson I took from this and everybody impressed on me: Nash Bridges-and this is the heart of TV- it's cool people doing cool stuff every week. And people tune in to watch Nash Bridges kick ass and be awesome and funny and charming, and sometimes you can tie yourself up in knots to make that happen, but this is why we love TV."

Edited by Fool to cry
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I tend to disagree also just based on what I've seen and read. I've no idea how much things have changed regarding something like this in almost 20 years in Hollywood since Nash Bridges. But just based on what Nathan has said over the years, I also think it's possible Nathan wants more of an ensemble show so that he doesn't have the exhausting filming schedule that he had on Castle where they were in almost every scene.  I know I've read at least one, and possibly two, blurbs by those who have seen the pilot stating that this was definitely more of an ensemble show. But as you said, we will see.

• Love 3