Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, TWP said:

@BlakesMomma, I just realized that I said something that should be in spoiler tags.

Hide contents

It was the part about the leads sleeping together in the first episode.

I fixed my post.  Would you fix accordingly your quote of my post?  Thank you.

Done. I just deleted that first part that contained the spoiler since it didn't apply to my post any way.  Thanks for noticing.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, madmaverick said:

I did wonder what spurred the move for the guy to become a guy at 40.

Assuming you meant cop at 40?  :-)

And yes, thanks for spoiler tagging.

Which leads me to a question: Do you all want this catch-all topic or should I separate the spoiler thread? (In which case, if things are discussed in such a thread, tagging is unnecessary.) What do y'all think?

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Assuming you meant cop at 40?  :-)

And yes, thanks for spoiler tagging.

Which leads me to a question: Do you all want this catch-all topic or should I separate the spoiler thread? (In which case, if things are discussed in such a thread, tagging is unnecessary.) What do y'all think?

Lol, I just spittaked like Beckett did when asked if Castle was gay.  That would be a twist no one sees coming.  The network version of Transparent.

I wasn't sure about the spoiler policy in here also, considering that article was very spoilery about the pilot.  Will put in tags.

I don't really mind either way but maybe a catch all topic thread for now as the forum isn't so busy. 

12 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Lol, I just spittaked like Beckett did when asked if Castle was gay.  That would be a twist no one sees coming.  The network version of Transparent.

I wasn't sure about the spoiler policy in here also, considering that article was very spoilery about the pilot.  Will put in tags.

I don't really mind either way but maybe a catch all topic thread for now as the forum isn't so busy. 

I'm the one guilty of bad spoiler tagging, not you, @madmaverick.

@WendyCR72, my vote is for one topic with the current naming, including the word "Spoilers".  I think we should still tag any spoilers, but if someone forgets, then readers were pre-warned by the topic title.  But I'll try my hardest to consistently spoiler-tag anything I consider a spoiler. 

When we have multiple topics, sometimes it's so hard and slightly annoying to figure out where to put things. 

54 minutes ago, TWP said:

I'm the one guilty of bad spoiler tagging, not you, @madmaverick.

@WendyCR72, my vote is for one topic with the current naming, including the word "Spoilers".  I think we should still tag any spoilers, but if someone forgets, then readers were pre-warned by the topic title.  But I'll try my hardest to consistently spoiler-tag anything I consider a spoiler. 

When we have multiple topics, sometimes it's so hard and slightly annoying to figure out where to put things. 

Actually, the current title does already have "Spoilers" on it. Has from word go.  :-)  Maybe I'll keep this one for spoilers and media and make a separate spec thread for the non-spoiled.

Because, for the record, board rules are, in a spoiler thread, no tagging is necessary!

"Speculation" for the non spoiled now has its own thread. For any non-spoiled spec, please use the new thread designed for the unspoiled folks here! This one will remain for media/news and spoilers.

There is, likewise, also a new spec thread now for those that do like reading the spoiler thread. You can find it here!

The spoiler thread will now house only the news, media, and spoilers, so as to play it safe and not have to worry about accidental tags. By nature, it is now for spoilers and media, so tags will not be an issue.

Please be mindful of the thread you are posting in and the tags that accompany it and proceed accordingly.

Thanks.

Edited by WendyCR72
Updated spoiler-free spec link

According to this guy, The Rookie will consist of 18 episode seasons.  But he also claims the show will be shot in Vancouver, which I wouldn't have thought would be the case.  So maybe await further confirmation on both.   I definitely like the idea of a shorter season though, for the sake of quality and for the sake of actors not looking dog tired on screen.  Something like 10-13 episodes would be ideal to me, but networks probably need more than that to plug their schedules. 

2 hours ago, madmaverick said:

According to this guy, The Rookie will consist of 18 episode seasons.  But he also claims the show will be shot in Vancouver, which I wouldn't have thought would be the case.  So maybe await further confirmation on both.   I definitely like the idea of a shorter season though, for the sake of quality and for the sake of actors not looking dog tired on screen.  Something like 10-13 episodes would be ideal to me, but networks probably need more than that to plug their schedules. 

I like the idea of a shorter season as well.  When you get into 22+ episodes a season there is virtually no way you can stay away from filler episodes.   NF is apparently in Vancouver now based on photos he has posted to Instagram, so maybe they are filming it there.

6 hours ago, madmaverick said:

He could also be in Vancouver, wrapping up ASOUE, doing some post-production voice-overs or something.  But I'd love if it was filmed in the Vanc, because I LOVE Vancouver. I might even go visit one of their locations, but wouldn't be one of those silly people who hang out all day for a 2-minute conversation.

23 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Actually, the current title does already have "Spoilers" on it. Has from word go.  :-)  Maybe I'll keep this one for spoilers and media and make a separate spec thread for the non-spoiled.

Because, for the record, board rules are, in a spoiler thread, no tagging is necessary!

Thanks, Wendy.  I knew about the "Spoilers" on the title, just being my usual lazy and thus in-eloquent self. 

On ‎09‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 3:00 AM, Featherhat said:

Once the show starts airing, provided it doesn't become an issue on the show and they don't look too obviously 20 years apart then I don't think it's going to matter in the long run, but until we get something else to go on, casting notices are what's getting talked about. 

I think it's hard to not make this an issue unless she, too, is an older recruit.

On ‎09‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 2:29 AM, madmaverick said:

Castle and Beckett had around a 10 year age difference and I don't remember people making a big deal out of it then. ;)

I wasn't there when Castle started, so I have no idea if that was planned or if it just happened. Here, it seems to be very deliberate and there is absolutely no need for it. It would have been entirely possible to give him a love interest outside of work and/or with an older cop. I'm sure there are plenty around.

When Castle started, the actors were a lot younger, so that makes a difference. Because it never matters how old the guy is, but the woman cannot be older than 30, maybe 35 if she's lucky.

So, this probably isn't so much about the age difference itself. It's about Hollywood's stereotypes and a missed opportunity. With the recent outspoken-ness in Hollywood, it seems that these producers are blind and deaf to what is going on around them.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I wasn't there when Castle started, so I have no idea if that was planned or if it just happened. Here, it seems to be very deliberate and there is absolutely no need for it. It would have been entirely possible to give him a love interest outside of work and/or with an older cop. I'm sure there are plenty around.

For a show that seems to be set primarily within a precinct, it would be tough to feature a series regular playing a love interest outside of work.  Castle couldn't make it work to make Gina a series regular character.  The main character here looks set to primarily interact with fellow rookies, their superior training officers, and superiors on top of that.  If he were to romance his bosses of a comparable age, that would open another can of worms altogether.  TV exploring sexual tension between co-workers is hardly anything new so I don't see the big deal here. The premise of the show is also about exploring what happens in relationships between older people and younger people, be they working relationships, platonic friendships or more.  So potentially exploring a relationship with an age difference is natural territory for the show to me and serves the themes of the show.

I also keep remembering that there was never a fuss about inappropriateness on Castle when Beckett said she was in love with Royce, her training officer and mentor, who was far more than 10 years older than her. 

When Castle started, the actors were a lot younger, so that makes a difference. Because it never matters how old the guy is, but the woman cannot be older than 30, maybe 35 if she's lucky.

So, this probably isn't so much about the age difference itself. It's about Hollywood's stereotypes and a missed opportunity. With the recent outspoken-ness in Hollywood, it seems that these producers are blind and deaf to what is going on around them.

The show's cast multiple women of colour and has been one of the few shows to tap a women director for the pilot.  And from the description in that show preview, it sounds like female characters are often the ones in charge.  I would say it's quite responsive to empowering women.  I take your point about Hollywood stereotypes with the caveat that a) this is a show that is about exploring age differences, and b) to watch before making any assumption.  I'm kind of tired of the internet jumping to conclusions without anything concrete, when nothing has even been aired.  There's no context yet for any potential romantic/sexual relationship.   I don't watch Connie Britton's new show but apparently she's lusting for a much younger guy there, but I don't seem to hear much fuss?  Even as we strive for gender equality, we should also be cognizant of not having double standards, and be open to the fact that real life relationships do come in all shapes, forms and ages.   

I like creators to stay true to their creative vision while being alive to social movements, but not in a way where the need to conform to them sacrifices their creative instincts. 

• Love 2
On ‎22‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 7:24 AM, madmaverick said:

For a show that seems to be set primarily within a precinct, it would be tough to feature a series regular playing a love interest outside of work.  Castle couldn't make it work to make Gina a series regular character. 

I'm not sure if they couldn't make it work or didn't want to make it work. Series regular would have meant more money and I don't think they were willing to spend it on an "outside" character. If they plan to have a girlfriend/romantic interest outside of work from the start, they could plan the show accordingly. But most writers/showrunners prefer to not juggle more than one story as it's easier.

The main character here looks set to primarily interact with fellow rookies, their superior training officers, and superiors on top of that.  If he were to romance his bosses of a comparable age, that would open another can of worms altogether. 

Or it could be an interesting story and something different from the usual. They can also hardly spend a whole show on him being a trainee, so he has to start working at one point. As far as I know, the LAPD does not forbig relationships. According to the MC showrunner, you just have to inform your superiors. So, it would be a lot easier to do than elsewhere, it seems.

That said, why do they have to plan to go romantic from the get-go anyway?

TV exploring sexual tension between co-workers is hardly anything new so I don't see the big deal here.

Exactly ;-)

I also keep remembering that there was never a fuss about inappropriateness on Castle when Beckett said she was in love with Royce, her training officer and mentor, who was far more than 10 years older than her. 

I always saw that as the typical "student is so in love with their teacher" kind of thing. More admiration than love.

The show's cast multiple women of colour and has been one of the few shows to tap a women director for the pilot.  And from the description in that show preview, it sounds like female characters are often the ones in charge.  I would say it's quite responsive to empowering women. 

It seems to be all about perception. To me, it looks like any other show on paper. So far, the oldest actress is listed on wikipedia as 31-32 years old, the other two are younger, there's one actor who's 28, the rest is north of 40. And the show is all about a guy and he's falling in love with a younger woman.

We'll see how it'll end up being. While I appreciate that they have a female director for the pilot, I think that the BTS is still different in so far that what the show will stand for will depend on what they show on TV and not what is happening BTS.

I don't watch Connie Britton's new show but apparently she's lusting for a much younger guy there, but I don't seem to hear much fuss? 

Probably because many find it refreshing that for once, it's the other way around.

Even as we strive for gender equality, we should also be cognizant of not having double standards, and be open to the fact that real life relationships do come in all shapes, forms and ages.   

How many older women are currently lusting after a younger guy on TV though vs how many older men are lusting after a younger woman?

Actors are trying to change Hollywood's image. Having an older woman lust after a younger guy is a start. Having an older guy lust after a younger woman is the same old. And for the record, this is how I reacted to it. I kind of rolled my eyes over the lack of originality. I'll still watch, I just don't expect the show to be very groundbreaking or deviate much from what's already out there.

I like creators to stay true to their creative vision while being alive to social movements, but not in a way where the need to conform to them sacrifices their creative instincts. 

You're giving them a lot more credit than I am. To me, it looks like they chose the simplest path: going with the existing formula.

• Love 1

Because, for better or worse, it usually sells. What are the most enduring arguments on social media? Pairings. Or triangles. It's old, tried and true. But if it still gets eyeballs to the screen, that's what's important in TV World.

And the world of social media. Gotta generate those hashtags! (As those, believe it or not, have become almost as coveted as actual ratings. The networks want buzz.)

And I think the final series regular has been cast.  Another woman in charge! 

http://deadline.com/2018/02/the-rookie-mercedes-mason-cast-nathan-fillion-abc-light-drama-series-1202304679/

I like the character description. "Confident and irreverent".

Interesting that they won't just have the Sergeant character as the rookies' superior, but also show the C.O. Captain, too.  And I guess the training officers are the rookies' immediate boss so there'll be quite a chain of authority on display there.  Room for different notes to be played by different boss characters.  Different to the typical one head authority figure in these types of shows.

Looks like the table read has begun so they should start filming soon.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:29 AM, CheshireCat said:

I'm not sure if they couldn't make it work or didn't want to make it work. Series regular would have meant more money and I don't think they were willing to spend it on an "outside" character. If they plan to have a girlfriend/romantic interest outside of work from the start, they could plan the show accordingly. But most writers/showrunners prefer to not juggle more than one story as it's easier.

It sounds like they will already be juggling multiple stories and more characters within the precinct than Castle did, and Castle never did a good job with any of the love interests or peripheral characters outside of work.  They didn't even dedicate much time to exploring the supporting characters at work, let alone outside of that sphere.  Also the show is called The Rookie and the show appears to revolve primarily around what happens at work.

Or it could be an interesting story and something different from the usual. They can also hardly spend a whole show on him being a trainee, so he has to start working at one point. As far as I know, the LAPD does not forbig relationships. According to the MC showrunner, you just have to inform your superiors. So, it would be a lot easier to do than elsewhere, it seems.

No one knows if it's even romantic at this point.  Something sexual does not always equal romantic, even when it's driven by the woman.  SATC anyone? ;)  

But throwing in something surprising (or it may not surprise some TV viewers) in a pilot towards the end is a common hook used by writers.  How that develops, if at all, from episode 2 onwards is anyone's guess, and it's far too soon to jump to any conclusions even about the nature of any relationship.

I always saw that as the typical "student is so in love with their teacher" kind of thing. More admiration than love.

I don't tell teachers I've crushed on that I am/was in love with them in a heartbroken voice, personally.   It sure seemed to go beyond admiration to my eyes.  

Probably because many find it refreshing that for once, it's the other way around.

How many older women are currently lusting after a younger guy on TV though vs how many older men are lusting after a younger woman?

Actors are trying to change Hollywood's image. Having an older woman lust after a younger guy is a start. Having an older guy lust after a younger woman is the same old. And for the record, this is how I reacted to it. I kind of rolled my eyes over the lack of originality. I'll still watch, I just don't expect the show to be very groundbreaking or deviate much from what's already out there.

But it's still a double standard if somehow one is more accepting of older women being with younger guys but not the other way around.  

Whether people like it or not, whether it's right or not, the societal reality in many places is that it's often older men with younger women rather than the other way around.  But it takes two to tango, you know.  Let's give the women in these relationships some respect for their choice and their agency.  

American couldn't even accept a female as President, do you think they could accept a female President with a younger spouse (even on TV?), or even an unmarried President?  I have my doubts.  And yet, they could accept a male as President who's been married 3 times, often to much younger wives, and cheated on them with any number of, um, Playmates.  

So instead of putting all the blame on HW, maybe society needs to look to itself and its attitudes that it perpetuates.

There are more TV shows than ever featuring 40+ women in leading roles if that's more some people's cup of tea.  I don't think of TV shows in terms of ages of actors and ages of characters myself.  A good show is a good show.  If I only watched shows that featured people and relationships that were palatable to me and morally correct, I would sure miss out on a lot of good shows!  The test of good storytelling is that it can take you anywhere.

You're giving them a lot more credit than I am. To me, it looks like they chose the simplest path: going with the existing formula.

I wasn't being specific to The Rookie creators there.  But for example, I read that the show Confederate, to be created by the GoT writers, is likely to be shelved because of the socio-political climate in America right now.  Personally, I don't agree in contentious creative ideas being dismissed because some people want to pre-judge a piece of work without it even being fully formed in the first place.  That creative vision seems to be dead under the weight of social media pressure.  That's a shame in my opinion.  That show could have had a lot of thought provoking things to say about slavery and race relations, which are still very pertinent themes in today's world. 

I don't expect a network show like The Rookie or Take Two to be very groundbreaking (lol), though hopefully there will be room for some pleasant surprises.  I do think, however, that examining an older person making a fresh start in life is an interesting and relatable premise, and something more different to a lot of the crime procedural formulas out there.

On 3/8/2018 at 4:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

Is it just this picture, or is NF looking 50 lbs. lighter and 10 years younger these days?

I don't think it's just that picture. He looks really good in the uniform in all the pictures from Hollywood Boulevard filming on Monday too. He's clearly lost weight.

• Love 3

The thread would be remiss without a pic of Nathan in rookie uniform glory. :P

Like this one here, with Eric Winter, taken by Melissa O'Neil.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BgMz1bpDa2n

Another good one here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgOpy99jlVu

Getting a coffee (Castle feels!): https://twitter.com/brooklynbella/status/972928189050703872

This black and white candid may be my favourite of them all: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgNYc0WBNjE/

More pics can be found using #TheRookie on twitter.

Looks like there were some good photographers snapping away at their location shooting at Hollywood Blvd that day.  I wonder if it costs more to shut down a busy road like that, and it looked like they had a lot of people and cars working on set that day too.

• Love 2

NF will appear on American Housewife for 2 upcoming episodes playing himself.  The lead character on the show has a huge crush on him and has mentioned it at least 3 or 4 times.  ABC is probably trying to keep him in the public eye before the premiere episode of The Rookie.

12 hours ago, madmaverick said:

The thread would be remiss without a pic of Nathan in rookie uniform glory. :P

Like this one here, with Eric Winter, taken by Melissa O'Neil.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BgMz1bpDa2n

Another good one here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgOpy99jlVu

Getting a coffee (Castle feels!): https://twitter.com/brooklynbella/status/972928189050703872

This black and white candid may be my favourite of them all: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgNYc0WBNjE/

More pics can be found using #TheRookie on twitter.

Looks like there were some good photographers snapping away at their location shooting at Hollywood Blvd that day.  I wonder if it costs more to shut down a busy road like that, and it looked like they had a lot of people and cars working on set that day too.

Here's another to add to your list! He really has lost some serious weight. 

• Love 1

I have to say I found this picture terribly cute.  All 3 of them heh.  Nathan really does seem to have a special touch with kids. 

Beth Scherr Haggerty‏ @bash912

Just so y'all know, @NathanFillion is so fun to work with, just like you would expect. Gracious, cool guy. Thanks for making my son's day on set. He said multiple times, "where's Nathan? I love him". Ha! Love it!

DYobE0CUQAEF3MY.jpg

• Love 3

Does anyone else find the filming schedule odd?  Assuming it airs in the Fall and they produce 3 episodes a month, they will be close to finishing up the season when it first airs.  I guess I'm used to Castle which filmed pretty close to when it aired.   At least that way, if a storyline wasn't going well they would have time to change it.

5 hours ago, break21 said:

Does anyone else find the filming schedule odd?  Assuming it airs in the Fall and they produce 3 episodes a month, they will be close to finishing up the season when it first airs.  I guess I'm used to Castle which filmed pretty close to when it aired.   At least that way, if a storyline wasn't going well they would have time to change it.

Never mind - apparently they just filmed the pilot and are on break.

Remember that Nathan actually played the younger love interest in his soap opera days,

Some of those episodes are available on YouTube. And frankly, are as creepy as a centipede convention. Although Nathan's comic timing is great.

9 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

Remember that Nathan actually played the younger love interest in his soap opera days,

Some of those episodes are available on YouTube. And frankly, are as creepy as a centipede convention. Although Nathan's comic timing is great.

I wasn't a One Life To Live watcher (watched other soaps, though!), but I did read soap magazines and Joey (Nathan's character) and Dorian were hugely popular back in the day. The whole May/December thing. And Dorian was Joey's mother's rival, so...

To be fair, the show got a straight-to-series order, so it was picked up long ago. :-) I did like the trailer, actually! I know - like Castle - this is marketed as a "light dramedy", but I think towards the end, (until the whole Stana Katic BTS stuff), the show made Castle the character almost a doofus and too goofy. So if this show can avoid that pitfall, I'll be satisfied.

So I like that the trailer avoided that.

I liked the trailer and thought it served as a brief intro to the show, but it probably could have benefited from a dash of humor or two, rather than being all out earnest and dramatic.  Though I want to see that this is a show and a character with heart first and foremost.  A 40 something old guy doesn't just start a second career for laughs, and it wouldn't be right for it just to be hijinks.  

Nathan was way too photoshopped in the first look photo.  I hope they do better with official art but it's ABC so expectations are low.  But glad to see that he is looking good and fit on film though his current shorter haircut (if they keep it) will take getting used to.  

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:07 PM, WendyCR72 said:

To be fair, the show got a straight-to-series order, so it was picked up long ago. :-) I did like the trailer, actually! I know - like Castle - this is marketed as a "light dramedy", but I think towards the end, (until the whole Stana Katic BTS stuff), the show made Castle the character almost a doofus and too goofy. So if this show can avoid that pitfall, I'll be satisfied.

So I like that the trailer avoided that.

I don't want buffoon Castle either,  I think everyone checked out of the show by that point .  I would like some humor, so we'll see.  ABC is really pushing it, I think the pilot might deliver.    I  do wonder if they are going to give him his old slot back Mondays at 10 or go with Tuesdays at 10 behind Rosanne's kick-off line-up.  

I think this first look they released was just a teaser. Supposedly we will get an actual trailer next week after Upfront presentations. I'm gonna assume that will be longer and have more of a mix of the drama and humor.  I think maybe they wanted to get across the emphasis of the John Nolan character starting over, which is the main storyline, in this teaser. I liked it! 

And I like the new haircut! We'll have to see if they keep it for The Rookie or it's just a change of pace for him for the summer.

If they give The Rookie Monday at 10, that would mean moving The Good Doctor which has been very successful in that time slot. I hope they don't give it Tuesday at 10, that has been the ABC death slot it seems. I would think they'd put some of their other new comedies with Roseann. Maybe they will give it the Designated Survivor slot at 10 on Wednesday. My hope is for the Monday slot. 

Has anyone heard if Marlowe's Take Two has been confirmed as a summer show? Hollywood Reporter suggested it was in one of their articles, which would make sense since they're currently filming all their episodes now between March and July unlike other shows that start filming again in July. 

I was mistaken.  We'll find out where The Rookie will appear on the schedule this coming Tuesday. 

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/pressrelease/join-disneyabc-executives-on-a-press-conference-call-as-they-announce-the-2018-2019-prime-time-schedule-and-programming/

I wouldn't be surprised if The Rookie takes Designated Survivor's spot.  And of course, we'll maybe find out about Take Two as well.  Given the shooting schedule, I'm guessing that Take Two is a summer show.  I'll be happy to have something to watch in summer.

17 hours ago, TWP said:

I was mistaken.  We'll find out where The Rookie will appear on the schedule this coming Tuesday. 

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/pressrelease/join-disneyabc-executives-on-a-press-conference-call-as-they-announce-the-2018-2019-prime-time-schedule-and-programming/

I wouldn't be surprised if The Rookie takes Designated Survivor's spot.  And of course, we'll maybe find out about Take Two as well.  Given the shooting schedule, I'm guessing that Take Two is a summer show.  I'll be happy to have something to watch in summer.

Take Two is going to air starting June 21.  I can't stand Eddie Cibrian so I'm going to pass on this one.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/abc-premiere-dates-match-game-the-proposal-take-two-1202390048/

2 hours ago, TWP said:

So The Rookie at 10PM on Tuesdays then...eeks, it's supposed to be the ABC death slot.  But maybe having Roseanne as a lead in will help.

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/pressrelease/abc-unveils-2018-19-prime-time-schedule/

I'm actually okay with it in that slot.  It takes some pressure off to bring in big ratings.  That has been such a nightmare spot for ABC that even if the show just brings in modest ratings they will probably be happy with it.

(edited)

A link to the Official Trailer (long version).  ABC's You Tube.  

I worry just a little that it could get cheesy.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by TWP
3 hours ago, break21 said:

I'm actually okay with it in that slot.  It takes some pressure off to bring in big ratings.  That has been such a nightmare spot for ABC that even if the show just brings in modest ratings they will probably be happy with it.

I wonder if they'll  start calling it "blue collar Tuesday".  

• Love 1

The cheese could be a concern, and I really hope it's not too generic procedural, though that seems to be a quality that's hard to avoid on much of network TV, but it seems to be trying hard to have heart, with the new beginnings and second chances and all, which is a good theme imo as long as it doesn't get too cheesy.  The trailer was more serious and dramatic and focused less on humour than I expected, which was alright with me, but a dash of humour is good to any show, as long as they don't beat the old age jokes to death.   The choice of a life altering experience wasn't too creative to me but I guess I should be thankful I was spared tragic death of family member ;).  The dynamic between Nathan's character and partner, and the Captain (kind of imagined Beckett there for a minute heh) shows promise; not sure about the romantic angle yet though and not sure it was a necessary complication.  We shall see.  I hope they show some variety in the rookies' work so that the cotw doesn't get too boring.  The dialogue in the trailer wasn't particularly sharp to me so hope Hawley works on that. 

Part of me just wants to see Nathan in a TV show now where he dresses like he did at the upfronts all the time.  It was a revelation heh.  But as it is, we'll probably see him in uniform a lot and plaid.

6 hours ago, madmaverick said:

The cheese could be a concern, and I really hope it's not too generic procedural, though that seems to be a quality that's hard to avoid on much of network TV, but it seems to be trying hard to have heart, with the new beginnings and second chances and all, which is a good theme imo as long as it doesn't get too cheesy.  The trailer was more serious and dramatic and focused less on humour than I expected, which was alright with me, but a dash of humour is good to any show, as long as they don't beat the old age jokes to death.   The choice of a life altering experience wasn't too creative to me but I guess I should be thankful I was spared tragic death of family member ;).  The dynamic between Nathan's character and partner, and the Captain (kind of imagined Beckett there for a minute heh) shows promise; not sure about the romantic angle yet though and not sure it was a necessary complication.  We shall see.  I hope they show some variety in the rookies' work so that the cotw doesn't get too boring.  The dialogue in the trailer wasn't particularly sharp to me so hope Hawley works on that. 

Part of me just wants to see Nathan in a TV show now where he dresses like he did at the upfronts all the time.  It was a revelation heh.  But as it is, we'll probably see him in uniform a lot and plaid.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) there isn't going to be a cotw.  It's going to be more like 9-1-1, where they keep it fast-paced from one call to the next.  Beat cops really don't do much cotw - it's usually just one call after another.  

I didn't think the dialogue was that great either but it looks really good visually.

12 hours ago, break21 said:

I read somewhere (can't remember where) there isn't going to be a cotw.  It's going to be more like 9-1-1, where they keep it fast-paced from one call to the next.  Beat cops really don't do much cotw - it's usually just one call after another.  

I didn't think the dialogue was that great either but it looks really good visually.

I do think it will be more like 9-1-1 where there isn't a case of the week (they're cops, not detectives), but several different calls/situations they have to deal with each episode, while learning more about the characters and unfolding Nolan's journey. One thing about cop calls, as opposed to homicides, is the infinite variety of calls they get from mundane to extreme.

I really like the full trailer, except for one line. The lady in the bank saying "you were really.....brave" was delivered with enough cheese to feed a herd of mice. I'm hoping in the context of the full episode it won't be quite so bad.

I'm really looking forward to it. I hope it does well. And I agree with the poster above, I'm happy with Tuesday. It has successful lead ins that already have an audience.

Just my guess on the romance thing, but if they're starting out with it in the first episode, I don't expect it to be a long running thing. I think it may be part of his mid-life journey to find out who he is and what he does and doesn't really want for his life going forward.

• Love 2