Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Shopping Channel Hosts: Sales Prevention Team

Carolyn telling a crew member not to be upset if she calls him "honey", because "I call everybody 'honey'.  That's because I'm everybody's mom!"

I hope Blabby wasn't listening.

• Laugh 7
  • Sad 3

Does anyone remember when Martha had a catalog business, maybe 20-25 years ago?

These tabletop items are similar to products she offered there and I bought a few things I still use.

• Like 4

Methinks Carolyn got taken to the woodshed about that disrespectful raspberry to her audience, because this is the second D&C show where the squirrels have not only been noticeably downplayed but, no squirrel voices!  

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

On Q2, Terri Conn very confidently gave the following sales pitch about Kim Gravel's $43.90 TSV blouse:

"There is another very similar blouse on the QVC website for $61.00.  Why buy that one when you can buy this brand new one?"

Making older items (that I am sure QVC would like to move off of their website and out of their hands) seem lesser than and dusty is not a good sales tactic.

Not sure why this company has cheaped out on having a trainer on hand at all times to coach these people properly.  I'm sure it would pay off in sales.  If we are turned off by some of them and it affects our purchases, I'm sure a whole lot of other people are, too.

Edited by CandyApple
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 5

3 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Does anyone remember when Martha had a catalog business, maybe 20-25 years ago?

These tabletop items are similar to products she offered there and I bought a few things I still use.

I bought several items from her, too, back when she had her catalog.

At least one of the items sold during the QVC show yesterday is available at Macy's right now, but only available in the blue color...QVC has a taupe and the light blue.  I almost bought one of these from Macy's this past weekend, that's how I know.  QVC is selling them in units of 2....at Macy's, you can just purchase 1.  Pricing is slightly higher at QVC (no surprise there) for the two, but only because Macy's had a major sale.

image.png.3ef19f8d09eb2b0c90bf35cab442de81.png

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Has the Princess been influenced by a commoner? Two nose wipes in one presentation!

I don't think she realized she was on camera for this one.

courtney-k-nose-wipe-001-slow.gif

In this still, Isaac looks horrified!

861850501_courtneyknosewipe001thumbenlarged.jpg.37576ccf353fa360ed1094b3729e9dd4.jpg

She closes her eyes like she can't believe what she just did.

courtney-k-nose-wipe-002-slow.gif

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 4

oab. there was a comment about having tissues on set,

it was removed as being unkind to host, 

it's unkind to this viewer to see people wiping their noses likes this 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, CandyApple said:

Regarding the jadeite items Martha is selling, on her show years ago, she said collects them, and likes to hunt down originals at tag sales.

While selling her pearl snow flake ornaments last night with Alberti, Martha advised that pearl jewelry is popular now for men, specifically earrings and chokers.  I've only seen one man wearing pearl jewelry, a bracelet, and he was selling a collection on Shop HQ.  

I won't be surprised to see QVC introducing a Martha Stewart jewelry collection in 2021.    

Isaac wears pearl necklaces sometimes. He has a costume jewelry line on the QVC website, and I think he wears his necklaces to promote it. Sadly, the hosts rarely mention that you can buy his jewelry on QVC, although recently one host did show a quick screen view of a QVC website page with his jewelry.  The models in his shows usually wear his necklaces.

But like you, I haven't seen any men wearing pearls except men who were selling them. Not sure Martha will be right about the trend. Pearls are delicate, and you have to be careful with them. Most men are hard on their jewelry.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 5

"According to Lyst and its Virtual Window Shopping: Jewelry 2020 report, “men’s pearls” are in. Worn by the likes of A$AP Rocky, Pharrell Williams, Billy Porter, Shawn Mendes, and most notably, Harry Styles, pearls have become one of the hottest accessories for men to adopt this season.

The search term “men’s pearls” has increased by 17 percent year-on-year following Styles’ pearly debut back in December 2019. Searches for similar pieces worn by the singer have increased by 31 percent.

Elsewhere, Lyst notes that the silver chain worn by Normal People‘s Connell Waldron, aka Paul Mescal, was more than just a viral trend. Since the TV show’s debut, the terms “silver” and “chain necklaces” have populated men’s searches online, rising by 47 percent year-on-year. Over the last year, 57 percent of the searches made for “silver chain necklaces” have been made by male consumers."

https://hypebeast.com/2020/7/virtual-window-shopping-jewelry-2020-lyst-trend-report-mens-pearls-necklaces-silver-chains

Men wearing pearls IS a thing....I saw it towards the end of 2019 when Harry Styles wore just one pearl earring, but there are many pics of him online wearing a strand of pearls.  Vogue had an article about it in Oct. 2019:

https://www.vogue.com/vogueworld/article/mens-baroque-jewelry-trend-red-carpet-runway

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Useful 6
  • Surprise 1

I had on Q2 briefly. It was Terri with GILI Jill showing that sherpa wrap/hooded bedspread thing. Jill was yelling. It was so obnoxious. I'll give Terri credit, she kept talking over Jill like Jill didn't exist. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

5 hours ago, RubberbandGirl said:

Has the Princess been influenced by a commoner? Two nose wipes in one presentation!

I don't think she realized she was on camera for this one.

courtney-k-nose-wipe-001-slow.gif

In this still, Isaac looks horrified!

861850501_courtneyknosewipe001thumbenlarged.jpg.37576ccf353fa360ed1094b3729e9dd4.jpg

She closes her eyes like she can't believe what she just did.

courtney-k-nose-wipe-002-slow.gif

So unattractive

• Laugh 2

42 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I honest to goodness thought Jane Fonda look-a-like.

MANY of them have hair to the extreme. who would really like that look.

and do we think this will take over for wen ?

• Sad 4

Poor Nancy, trying to open a clearance CE air fryer and it wouldn't budge.  She threw it over to Aaron.  During his time someone showed up on set and made sure she knew how to do it, and try #2 met with success and french fries.  She admitted that she had been trying to open it incorrectly the first time.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

Rastelli TSV Filet Mignon

Nancy:  "I'm not going to send these to just anybody. Your boss, your pastor, your parents..."

You can't really "sift and gift" this present, so I didn't expect you to give any to your mailman, Nancy. Especially since you told us a few years ago that you buy the generic Cool Whip. Those brand-name, non-dairy, dessert toppings must really put a dent in the budget.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

How sad that they're still trying to UNLOAD the Temptations mini loaf pans.  Just throw those things on a pallet already and call it a day!

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10
  • Surprise 1

16 hours ago, hummingbird said:

oab. there was a comment about having tissues on set,

it was removed as being unkind to host, 

it's unkind to this viewer to see people wiping their noses likes this 

What was Shawn doing to her nose?  It wasn’t a wipe and it wasn’t a pick. I’m thinking Shawn’s just checking for white powder on her nose?

Edited by AuntCarol
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

20 hours ago, Day2Day said:

RCEhIiI.jpg     Can you say T I G H T  !?!?   Thinking she looks fabulous, perhaps.  WRONG !

Caro:  "It doesn't look oversized and sloppy." 

Actual quote.

Edited by CandyApple
  • Laugh 10

Hosts wiping their nose don't bother me. They're not digging their finger up and pulling out boogies and snot. They wipe their nose. So what. If there's nothing there, and the nose isn't runny, in my opinion, it's no different from wiping my cheek, or knee, or arm. It's a habit they may have. Clearly one that some people notice.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

MaryBeth:  "I'm from the Midwest and I know my Black Angus."

*hearty applause*

MB says they throw out the food after she touches it.  Throw out filet mignon?  She should sneak some into her Dooney & Bourke.  I know there are no bagels in there, so there will be plenty of room.

Why does Ray Rastelli keep saying, "I'm a butcher, not a chef"?  Bad reviews on any of his prepared food products?

Edited by CandyApple
  • Surprise 3

People inhale and exhale the coronavirus out of their nose. People tend to do a nose swipe when their nose is drippy. 
And it’s bad manners. I would have gotten a hand slapped from my parents had I been swiping at my nose as a kid. 

• Like 11

Just to expand a bit on the (apparent) downsizing of Nutsy and Acorn, at the end of that D&C second show, Carolyn, very transparently hostile at the indignity of cutting back on the rodent schtick, mentioned to Gary that she had a surprise for him that involved squirrels.   Her comments positively dripped with passive-aggressive anger.

• Useful 3
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 6

2 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

People inhale and exhale the coronavirus out of their nose. People tend to do a nose swipe when their nose is drippy. 
And it’s bad manners. I would have gotten a hand slapped from my parents had I been swiping at my nose as a kid. 

Agree. Shawn keeps wiping her nose and then touching things on the set, things other people will have to touch later. If she catches Covid and doesn't know it because she's asymptomatic, she could spread it all over the QVC studio; she might become a superspreader. Or she herself could become a victim if she touches an infected surface and then wipes her nose with her hand.

Yes, it is very bad manners to wipe your nose with your bare hand. That's what tissues are for. (And in the old days, handkerchiefs, but nobody carries a handkerchief any more.)

Article about the risks of touching your face, from APIC.org, the Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology.

https://apic.org/monthly_alerts/dont-touch-your-face/

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 16

4 hours ago, Dottie D said:

How sad that they're still trying to UNLOAD the Temptations mini loaf pans.  Just throw those things on a pallet already and call it a day!

And throw the pallet into a furnace, THEN call it a day! 

• Laugh 14

Just now, Coffeecup said:

Agree. Shawn keeps wiping her nose and then touching things on the set, things other people will have to touch later. If she catches Covid and doesn't know it because she's asymptomatic, she could spread it all over the QVC studio; she might become a superspreader.

Yes, it is very bad manners to wipe your nose with your bare hand. That's what tissues are for. (And in the old days, handkerchiefs, but nobody carries a handkerchief any more.)

Article about the risks of touching your face, from APIC.org, the Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology.

https://apic.org/monthly_alerts/dont-touch-your-face/

I thought all you American folk called them “Kleenex”! 
My best pal always carries a hanky. White cotton handkerchiefs, some of them have his initial embroided on them. It’s very handy, having a friend with a hanky. He has one, so I don’t have to! 🤗

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Unbuckle your belts or put on your stretchiest pants, because 7 straight hours of Gourmet Holiday are about to begin at 1 p.m. eastern, followed by 2 hours of ITKWD.

5 hours ago, CandyApple said:

Rastelli TSV Filet Mignon

Nancy:  "I'm not going to send these to just anybody. Your boss, your pastor, your parents..."

You can't really "sift and gift" this present, so I didn't expect you to give any to your mailman, Nancy. Especially since you told us a few years ago that you buy the generic Cool Whip. Those brand-name, non-dairy, dessert toppings must really put a dent in the budget.

Way back when I used to be served meals that included the WalMart brand of Velveeta.  Imitation version of the imitation cheese.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Laugh 10

1 minute ago, Burly said:

I thought all you American folk called them “Kleenex”! 
My best pal always carries a hanky. White cotton handkerchiefs, some of them have his initial embroided on them. It’s very handy, having a friend with a hanky. He has one, so I don’t have to! 🤗

Yes, we do tend to call all tissues Kleenex, but that's a brand name. I'm trying to get out of the habit of calling all products by the brand name of only one. In fact, I prefer the Puffs brand of tissues to Kleenex.

I'm glad to hear there is someone who still carries a handkerchief! Many years ago, handkerchiefs used to be a standard Christmas gift, like neckties.

• Like 10

Skunky's Mom also lives with her.  So all the more reason for her not to wipe her nose with her bare hand and touch her face at the workplace.  I assume she washes her hands for 20 seconds when she gets home.  But you never know with her?

• Like 11
  • Useful 1

SEVEN hours of food today?  Seriously?  I can’t believe they sell so much food.  It’s gone beyond obnoxious.  I bet they’re selling so much so they can sell more of their New Year, New You crapola in January.  

I don’t think any of the hair models looked good yesterday.  They looked like they were from the ‘70’s. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Like 3

Not that I've ever been tempted to purchase any Tweaked hair products, but the hideous-ness of the helmut hair model just reinforces my desire not to!

@CandyApple, I'm with you on the callers.  

Edited by Dottie D · Reason: grammar
  • Like 6

And the award for "Least Obtrusive Nails While Handling Food" goes to......

ALBERTI!

I am less likely to hurl when he presses on things and pulls them apart than when some other hosts do.  Nails are clean and neat. 

• Like 4

I think I’ve only ever bought two food items from QUK. Years ago Cooks Essentials did a range of bottled sauces, pickles, chutneys etc. They ended up being discounted to the max so I gave in and bought a set. 
🤢.

Then I bought a pack of ten pasties from *The Real Pie Co.  “stuffed to the crust” was the tag line. They weren’t stuffed and neither was I. I complained and  sent in photos of the promo pic from their website along with my own pic of an actual pastie (yes I AM that person) and got a refund. I did enjoy eating the rest of them, but had to supplement the portion with a load of chips 😋

What this taught me was that I don’t really have room in my freezer for ten of anything. Least of all poorly stuffed pasties. Lesson learned 😑

*The Real Pie had a brief showing on QUS. Sold out but then never seen again. You lot must have been as unimpressed as I was. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 5
  • Sad 1

During Gourmet Holiday, Carolyn advises her audience to purchase an extra advent calendar to share with the grandkids, whereupon Mary D. suddenly exclaims "Carolyn you're so cool!"

• Laugh 5

11 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

During Gourmet Holiday, Carolyn advises her audience to purchase an extra advent calendar to share with the grandkids, whereupon Mary D. suddenly exclaims "Carolyn you're so cool!"

No one on QVC is cool Mayree. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 13

CuriousParker

Please remember to keep the discussions about the host(s) and not your fellow members.  If you see something you believe breaks a site/forum rule, report it and then ignore it.  Thanks.