Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Shopping Channel Hosts: Sales Prevention Team

Being a "Professional Dancer" in The Big Apple right now sure ain't paying the bills.

Unless you have a contract with a major company (which probably is not the case):  there is no Broadway.  There is no theater, no Radio City, no performing arts....

Maybe lap dancing at the Gentlemen's Cheetah Club, but I think those places are closed too!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 8

We need to prepare ourselves for a day of heavy apple slicing and breaking. Courtney K is  wholly unconvincing in her attempts to persuade me that she has one every day. 

Q are helpfully giving us an on screen graphic listing all of the people we would want to give one of our 10 huge apples to. Teachers, co-workers, mail carriers, delivery drivers, first responders...

Wait, what? First responders? So if I happen to fall down the stairs over the festive period and the medics come out, I’m laying there with broken legs, oozing blood but before being loaded into the ambulance I’ll weakly croak “No guys... not until you’ve got a Mrs Prindables from the fridge. Or maybe there’s a fire. Before climbing out of my 4th story windows onto a ladder in my pyjamas I load up with apples to hand round the truck 🙄

Edited by Burly
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 21

I find it interesting that although Gingerpuss has been back since Wednesday, she has only been seen as a sidekick to ITKWD.  I don't think I've seen her as a single presenter.  Could it be that TPTB have absolutely no confidence in her hosting abilities?

• Like 3
  • Useful 7

3 minutes ago, Dottie D said:

I find it interesting that although Gingerpuss has been back since Wednesday, she has only been seen as a sidekick to ITKWD.  I don't think I've seen her as a single presenter.  Could it be that TPTB have absolutely no confidence in her hosting abilities?

chaff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Being a "Professional Dancer" in The Big Apple right now sure ain't paying the bills.

Unless you have a contract with a major company (which probably is not the case):  there is no Broadway.  There is no theater, no Radio City, no performing arts....

Maybe lap dancing at the Gentlemen's Cheetah Club, but I think those places are closed too!

Perhaps they turned a dance audition at Disney into a family trip.  New York apartments are great humblebrag fodder, unless there's no income to support same, then they quickly become an albatross.  Guessing here.

Oh wait, I forgot, NYC's mayor and NY's governor doesn't think anyone should have to pay rent, so maybe that's off the table?  I thankfully, wouldn't know.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

There's an eviction moratorium until January 1, 2021.  The rent due still accrues and, as they say, the piper must still be paid eventually (unless something new develops. )

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

19 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

There's an eviction moratorium until January 1, 2021.  The rent due still accrues and, as they say, the piper must still be paid eventually (unless something new develops. )

and the way people are fleeing the City who knows who will fill those evicted places 

• Like 1

I have no doubt QVC hosts' suggestions of gifts to say "thank you, I appreciate you" have a genuine appeal to some viewers.

There are people -- lots of them, I'd imagine that we just don't here about -- who do give gifts to -- heaven forbid -- even strangers, especially at holiday time. But even all year. Where I lived there was an article -- sort of a good news blurb -- about a family who went to a fire house and just treated everyone to donuts. I've seen stories about others who'll go to a police station and just give all the officers there treats. Some call it paying it forward. Others just do it as a random act of kindness. Some people will pay the grocery bill of the person in front of them. Or treat a couple at the next table to a dessert or pay for their meal. For some people it makes them feel good -- to give. Children see a news story and want to take blankets to homeless people. Or buy books for sick children in hospitals.

So when QVC mentions giving gifts -- especially at a $5-10 price point -- to people or workers who fall into different categories.....the examples above are what I recall. Sure QVC is using that pitch as a way to sell product. So what?  Every year I get my doctors and dentists office's gift baskets....as a thank you, "I appreciate you." They don't HAVE to squeeze me in if I need an appointment. They don't HAVE to remember to call me to left me know there's a cancellation  in the time slot I wanted but was taken, but now it's open.

I once saw -- just happened to see -- a fellow customer at a car dealership I was using at the time -- bring in donuts for the staff there. I saw that and liked the idea. So for the last 20 years I've taken donuts (or bagels an cream cheese, or candy if it's Halloween time) to my dealership when I take my car in. I take enough for the front office service desk people -- AND the mechanics in the back. I even joke "you guys are the front office, but THEY actually fix the car and keep me on the road:)) I gave "thank you gifts" to the front desk security people at my job. It was just candy. But its showed I appreciate what they do. Why? Because I appreciate their kindness. They didn't HAVE to let me in when I forgot my ID. Sure they know I work there. But they still didn't HAVE to let me in the elevator. They COULD have said, "you need to call upstairs and someone will come get you." But they were kind enough to let me in. I thank people who look out for me. Even if it IS their job to do so.

Where I lived before, at Christmas I gave small gifts baskets ($10-15) to all my neighboring whose property touched my lot. It was four of them. I did that to say thank you for being a good neighbor, for watching out for my house, for stopping to talk when I wave. Just thank you for being the kind of person I WANT to live next to. David V. talks about getting little gifts for his neighbor who's kind and takes things in for him. I totally get that. My neighbor doesn't HAVE to be pleasant. Just ask people whose neighbor's make their lives living hell.

I just truly believe that you never know whose help you may need one day...or how you can make someone's day....just by putting together a basket of Dollar Tree candy, or movie snacks. Over the years my neighbor baskets had David's (not Venable) Cookies, David's brownies/blondies/coffee cake, Cheryls Cookies, Mrs Prindables Apples, Landie's Chocolate covered stuffed pretzels, Harry London chocolates, etc. And the gifts were hits every year. I'd buy a TSV of two or three of them and make a variety basket. I will break up a set in a heartbeat to get multiple gifts out of it.

The only think about QVC pushing examples of "gifts for everyone" or what I call "a token of appreciation" -- is that SOME of the prices for those things are high. My "thank you," "just because"  token gifts price limit is MAX about $15. And I try to keep it to $10 And for $10-15 dollars...it's worth it to ME to feel good to give. I'm blessed enough to be able to do it. It makes me feel good to bless someone else. So why not. Why not spread random acts of kindness?

Edited by selhars
  • Like 10

It's even worse for commercial space. 80% of restaurants and small retailers can't pay full rent: but if the landlord kicks them out, who's going to take the space?

• Sad 5

18 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

It's even worse for commercial space. 80% of restaurants and small retailers can't pay full rent: but if the landlord kicks them out, who's going to take the space?

I know it's so awful 

@selhars

that whole neighbor thing is great but my street I could drop dead in the middle and nobody would notice, it's not friendly , never has been. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Dottie D said:

Who is Gingerpuss?

The thing I still find weird is that Terri Conn works an hour a day. Two at best. I wonder if she’s making high five figures or low 6 figures for that gig?! She never works nights or weekends. It’s just odd that she doesn’t do a simple three hour block like everyone else. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Who is Gingerpuss?

D1-C84-A91-72-D7-42-BC-82-D7-9-CAE0189-C

Julia Cearley 

aka “Celery” 

Edited by Burly
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Burly said:

D1-C84-A91-72-D7-42-BC-82-D7-9-CAE0189-C

Julia Cearley 

aka “Celery” 

Yeah, I’ve seen her once or twice. She hasn’t caught on like Courtney Khondabi has. That said, Courtney hangs around Shawn too much which hasn’t endeared her to me. She’s always acting & goofy laying around on the set. 

• Like 5

I was only barely paying attention because I am not a fan of food days, but Courtney didn’t even mention it was a free shipping day until her hour was almost over. 

BTW, overnight, as I hoped, Rakuten bumped up the QVC rebate to 10%. And the Q didn’t hike the prices of anything in my wish list, though I talked myself out of almost everything except one gift and another set of the recent TSV Tommie Copper socks because I really like them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Is there one at Disney ?  🤣

• Laugh 10

9 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I worked for Boise Cascade for 25 years!  I'll have to check out the presentation online to see what fresh hell happened......ETA:  no need to view it online....I just saw the tree on the blanket!

That's funny. The second I saw it on TV I knew it was a logo (with added snowflakes) for some paper manufacturer. I had to look up which one though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

I feel for the owners of small buildings that have mortgages to pay.

There doesn't seem to be any problem finding renters here and owners are stuck with people who can't pay rent, but there is no relief for the owners. My sister used to own three rental properties. Nothing fancy and she didn't really make much money off them. There is no way she could have managed 10 months worth of mortgage payments for three duplexes if the tenants weren't paying.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Burly said:

We need to prepare ourselves for a day of heavy apple slicing and breaking. Courtney K is  wholly unconvincing in her attempts to persuade me that she has one every day. 

Q are helpfully giving us an on screen graphic listing all of the people we would want to give one of our 10 huge apples to. Teachers, co-workers, mail carriers, delivery drivers, first responders...

Wait, what? First responders? So if I happen to fall down the stairs over the festive period and the medics come out, I’m laying there with broken legs, oozing blood but before being loaded into the ambulance I’ll weakly croak “No guys... not until you’ve got a Mrs Prindables from the fridge. Or maybe there’s a fire. Before climbing out of my 4th story windows onto a ladder in my pyjamas I load up with apples to hand round the truck 🙄

At least as far as I can tell they don't suggest giving one to your dentist.

(Although when I was Little Procrastinator, the family dentist used to give out lollipops to kids at the end of appointments as a reward for slogging through.)

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

4 hours ago, Burly said:

Just throw the apples out the window before you climb out. "Here, catch!"

• Laugh 9

On Q2, Mary Beth, grinning from ear to ear, said she was giddy when she saw the alternate Cuddl Duds OAP was in the show.

If you like her so much MB, why don't you give her a call every so often to see how she's doing? I'm sure you have enough minutes on your cellphone to say hi and shoot the breeze for 5 minutes.

And the other day, Dan W. made an appearance for a Stuffin Gourmet offering, saying he hasn't seen Jane in so long, missed her, and that it was great to see her. Usually effusive Jane tersely responded, "Great to see you too, Dan." and went right into the details of the product.

Since they go way back, I pictured Jane making a surprise visit to Dan with a covered dish every once in awhile, to see how he is doing. But I guess that never happened.

I think Shakespeare said it best:

All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players.

They have their exits and their entrances,

And one man in his time plays many parts...

Edited by CandyApple
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Burly said:

Courtney K is  wholly unconvincing in her attempts to persuade me that she has one every day. 

Courtney said she will eat one or two slices of the apple after dinner to satisfy her taste for something sweet.

Looking at her little matchstick legs when she said it, I hope she treats herself to at least one more slice.

If staying at home more has taught me anything, it's eat with abandon more candy apple slices, donuts, and ice cream. Oh, and cake. 

I'm sure this sage advice I've given myself will bite me in the behind when I fancy wearing pants with a zipper in the future.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 6

13 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

This is David's recipe being displayed proudly on the ITKWD web page.  Says it's from his "half homemade" recipes.  I call it full-on disgusting homemade.

The concept isn't terrible (I enjoy broccoli cheese soup from Panera just like anyone does!), but isn't this easily made from scratch, without all the process cheese stuff?

According to David, it's "loaded with supermarket short cuts".  Buckle up for Mac 'N Cheese Soup with Ham - to which he uses two cans of cheddar condensed soup, adds some ham, chicken stock, pepper, pasta and a can of tomatoes along with some fresh cheddar cheese.   He says the can of tomatoes will make mom and dad feel good serving it to kids, since it has a vegetable.....!

https://www.qvc.com/content/kitchen-food/in-the-kitchen-with-david.html?redirectTerm=itkwd

I don't even want to know the nutrition info on that one.

The recipe segment of ITKWD has turned into an obligatory afterthought.  They have to do it to keep the Foodies happy, but they're going to devote as little time to it as possible.

• Like 5

I watched some of Elise and Katrina cohosting this a.m. and it was actually quite pleasant.

Very little, if any, screeching, cawing, bellowing and absolutely no braying. Very quiet and un-farmlike.

Probably a handful of family references between the two (having no kids helps that) and no one shouted Honey! or It's SunYay.  All in all, very adult.

• Like 18
  • Laugh 1

Looks like the Q has employed the scrolling banner at the bottom of the television, traditionally reserved for breaking news, to describe the Mrs. Prindables apples.

At first I thought it was an Amber Alert or that some prominent person died.  No. Just that they are made with smooth and creamy caramel and we should keep them in the fridge.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 7
  • Sad 7

Aaron has clearly been moved into a studio “situation”. About time. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I agree. David's recipe uses more processed foods that we don't need. My mac'n'cheese recipe I use a can of cream of chicken soup, but the rest is super easy just the way it is. I cook the pasta, add spices, grated real cheeses. What's hard about that? 

It never ceases to amaze how some hosts make something that we all know is simple into something complicated. 

There is actually a recipe for English muffin pizza, children make these for Pete’s sake !

• Laugh 5
  • Surprise 4

10 hours ago, CandyApple said:

Sounds beautiful!  And delicious!   Bummer that they have scaled back on the bedecking of their apples. 

We have Kilwin's handmade candy shops here (didn't realize until recently that they are everywhere) and they have nice dipped apples amongst other chocolate creations.  I enjoy seeing them making candy on the thick slabs of marble in their window.  Philosophy would be smart to recreate the scent of that shop.

Here is one of their current website offerings.: 

359598556_150721_004WebLG_0.jpg.bc565b42a10e5725744096295d716823.jpg

I know Kilwins - we have one in Annapolis and there's also one in Rehoboth Beach.  Their apples are really, really good!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, mpeeps said:

There are New Yorkers and Noo Yawkers!  Like night and day!!  Even the more sophisticated real New Yorkers have a distinction and realness.  This is downstate NYC area of course. Upstate is another world compared.

Yep!  I’m an upstater in the land of chicken wings, bad sports teams and 8 months of winter.

I have a raging sweet tooth and will eat almost any sweet but I find those Mrs. Prindables apples oddly unappealing. Maybe it is just me but they never look all that fresh during the presentations either. 

Free shipping today and I haven’t yet tried to purchase but I am sure it will be a hassle as their websites always seems to have hiccups during free shipping events. I do want an item I saw the other day that might be useful for my work at home setup but I am rather disenchanted with QVC right now for several reasons and not sure I want to bother. 

• Like 9

The Q is full of Qrap with its “WE ARE SUPER SOCIAL DISTANCING.” Yesterday, Jen and Jayne were cohosting, and for the first presentation of the arcade TSV, each was playing one of the options. A half-hour or so later, they had switched seats (maybe sets). COVID can aerosolize and remain in the air for hours. Having those two sit in each other’s used air for a half-hour within 45 minutes or so was as careless as having them French kiss on air. 

Maybe the crew had fans going or somehow “cleaned” the air (I had the sound off, so maybe this was addressed/explained)...but it looked careless to me.

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

New kitchen alert... 🚨 

not sure how I feel about this. It’s not a set, but I don’t know if I like it. 

DEFB4116-114-B-4057-B407-988154666126.pn

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I don't even want to know the nutrition info on that one.

The recipe segment of ITKWD has turned into an obligatory afterthought.  They have to do it to keep the Foodies happy, but they're going to devote as little time to it as possible.

Thankfully, they do keep the recipe segment an afterthought!  I have never seen him make one thing I was even mildly interested in.  And I also feel like he pilfers other notable recipes, adding or switching one or two ingredients (that usually don't go with it) and then calls it is his own.   Lately, that one ingredient seems to be bacon......

• Like 5

Didn't Q just have a pod-style alcoholic beverage maker the other weekend?  Now they have another one by Keurig.

You have to buy the cocktail pods separately, via a website or maybe your local liquor store has them.  I'm sorry, but I don't think my local liquor store sells pods.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 3

3 minutes ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

Waaaay too dark for my tastes. Not a kitchen I would want to cook a holiday meal—or any meal—in.

will wager that kitchen is probably more like most of the viewers kitchens that an 2020 or 2019 version , so relatable

not relatable is offerings those burger things in 20 SKUs 

eta:

we did get my kid one for that other methodology holiday and they are actually fun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hummingbird said:

will wager that kitchen is probably more like most of the viewers kitchens that an 2020 or 2019 version , so relatable

not relatable is offerings those burger things in 20 SKUs 

That dark blue colour has been huge in the U.K.  Looks great with white, not sure it blends with the wooden cupboards and down-home curtain across the door in the kitchen behind. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

That's funny. The second I saw it on TV I knew it was a logo (with added snowflakes) for some paper manufacturer. I had to look up which one though.

I thought the tree on the blanket was actually a fish, until I looked closely! 

Boise Cascade is now just lumber and building products.  Through a lot of different mergers or acquisitions, the paper division is now a stand alone company called simply Boise Paper and I think they are a subsidiary of a big packaging company now.  They don't use a tree anymore as their logo - the building products division still does, I believe.  I worked for their office products division, which bought OfficeMax and then was sold to Office Depot

image.png.59ed5318526b83a492612de184508bae.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

I've been tuned in for 5 minutes and David has already told us twice to "order as many sets as you like" of the GP66 Set of 2 Super Size De-Greasers.  Just how dirty does he think our homes are?  

• Laugh 8

10 minutes ago, Neiman said:

I've been tuned in for 5 minutes and David has already told us twice to "order as many sets as you like" of the GP66 Set of 2 Super Size De-Greasers.  Just how dirty does he think our homes are?  

The way he hyperventilates over bacon, he is probably speaking from the experience of someone who has splattered grease on the stove and counters at any given moment.

• Laugh 6

13 hours ago, CandyApple said:

Sharon Hanby-Robie:  "Color is the second most emotional trigger."

Interesting.

What's the first?

She's gone.

Thanks for leaving us hanging, Sharon.

Scent.

• Useful 6
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

The Q is full of Qrap with its “WE ARE SUPER SOCIAL DISTANCING.” Yesterday, Jen and Jayne were cohosting, and for the first presentation of the arcade TSV, each was playing one of the options. A half-hour or so later, they had switched seats (maybe sets). COVID can aerosolize and remain in the air for hours. Having those two sit in each other’s used air for a half-hour within 45 minutes or so was as careless as having them French kiss on air. 

Maybe the crew had fans going or somehow “cleaned” the air (I had the sound off, so maybe this was addressed/explained)...but it looked careless to me.

Plus there are times when they give away that they are within sight of each other because one host will look in the direction of the other host to talk to that person, instead of looking at the camera to preserve the illusion that they're much further apart.

• Like 7

Random Thoughts:

-The song played throughout ITKWD today sounds like it is being played on a high-end kazoo.

-I picture Mary waking her husband each morning with a pair of cymbals to the head and a hearty "WAKE UP, HONEY!!!!"

-Wondering if an auto-delivery of Mrs. Prindables apples will ensure that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" for an entire year, or do the added caramel and chocolate chips undo this immunity, and one should stock up on tissues and cough syrup after all.

-When returning apples, is there a box choice that says "my Granny Smiths didn't snap"?

-Regarding the mac and cheese soup recipe mentioned the other day, in which David used two cans of cheddar cheese soup plus extra cheddar cheese, what is the purpose of the extra cheddar cheese?  Not that I have any intentions of making it, but it's been weighing on my mind...heavily.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Diva was shoveling it on thick earlier when he was relaying the story of his neighbor and the Mrs. Prindable's apples saying when the mom slices the apple, everyone gathers around the table for quality time. I call BS.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 11

She’s baaaaack from her vacation, stay-cation, forced vacation, whatever it was. Doing two hours with Josie.

6DD1BC1A-5AD0-477B-BF88-E15E515CC45F.thumb.jpeg.dbadc6199cc5fd9f313b182f0fc23009.jpeg

The picture right behind Josie makes it look like she’s wearing some sort of headdress. Josie’s video feed is always terrible - bad Skype connection from the Mediterranean?

EA2D73BD-379A-4A20-9A86-8507D15B240B.thumb.jpeg.f8d6a0ca4d45f75a7a6a233028881995.jpeg

• Laugh 8

Placed a gift order about an hour ago. It’s Free Shipping Day, so of course this happened (the order went through, but I wasn’t allowed to opt out of Easy Pay, among other things): 

1F610C9A-635F-48DA-A3F4-E25E96CB30C9.jpeg

• Surprise 3
  • Sad 7

Caro seemed really comfortable with that close up to show off her mascara without glasses.

• Laugh 5

3 minutes ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

Placed a gift order about an hour ago. It’s Free Shipping Day, so of course this happened (the order went through, but I wasn’t allowed to opt out of Easy Pay, among other things): 

1F610C9A-635F-48DA-A3F4-E25E96CB30C9.jpeg

That's not "routine maintenance".  That's "Oh, ****" maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

CuriousParker

Please remember to keep the discussions about the host(s) and not your fellow members.  If you see something you believe breaks a site/forum rule, report it and then ignore it.  Thanks.