Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Home Shopping Network

There may be more of them, of course. If you have any research showing the spend or buy differently -- make different buying choices -- than others, could you please share that. Thanks.

This is pretty long, but it's a good outline of how demographic and lifestyle analysis gets used when it comes to retail, including ethnicity.  This is more geared towards brick-and-mortar, but it certainly applies to shopping channels. 

https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/downtown-market-analysis/understanding-the-market/demographics-and-lifestyle-analysis/

One thing to be noted from it, and I can say this is true just based on where I live, that "white suburban mom" is not a monolith.  It has to be broken down further using other things like income, location within suburbia itself, age, etc.  A WSM with a household income of $40,000 a year is going to have different spending priorities than one with a household income of $125,000 a year or higher, for example.  So when you're talking about entities like Q targeting that WSM demographic, they've got that market research broken way, way down and could easily do it right down to zip codes.  Do I personally believe they are focused a lot on white suburban moms or even white suburban women in general?  Yes.  But look at the research and the answer is going to come with a lot of nuance.

In relation to black women as a spending bloc, they do approach buying things differently:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-women-nielsen-report_n_59c3fec2e4b06f93538d3a05

https://www.hypehair.com/86642/black-consumers-continue-to-spend-nine-times-more-in-beauty-report/

When was the last time Q sold, on-air, hair and beauty products specifically marketed to black women?

I'll stop now.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

This is pretty long, but it's a good outline of how demographic and lifestyle analysis gets used when it comes to retail, including ethnicity.  This is more geared towards brick-and-mortar, but it certainly applies to shopping channels. 

https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/downtown-market-analysis/understanding-the-market/demographics-and-lifestyle-analysis/

One thing to be noted from it, and I can say this is true just based on where I live, that "white suburban mom" is not a monolith.  It has to be broken down further using other things like income, location within suburbia itself, age, etc.  A WSM with a household income of $40,000 a year is going to have different spending priorities than one with a household income of $125,000 a year or higher, for example.  So when you're talking about entities like Q targeting that WSM demographic, they've got that market research broken way, way down and could easily do it right down to zip codes.  Do I personally believe they are focused a lot on white suburban moms or even white suburban women in general?  Yes.  But look at the research and the answer is going to come with a lot of nuance.

In relation to black women as a spending bloc, they do approach buying things differently:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-women-nielsen-report_n_59c3fec2e4b06f93538d3a05

https://www.hypehair.com/86642/black-consumers-continue-to-spend-nine-times-more-in-beauty-report/

When was the last time Q sold, on-air, hair and beauty products specifically marketed to black women?

I'll stop now.

OMG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

HSN already sells Iman clothing..

They certainly could sell her cosmetics: **

https://imancosmetics.com/

**Hopefully...her cosmetics are without parabens..mineral oil...et al

Edited by artisto · Reason: more to add
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

17 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

Actually this is all pretty interesting. I only read a bit of the first link, but it is really fascinating!

It really is, although I can say it isn't foolproof.  For example, because I had attended a few bridal and baby showers and bought stuff at Tarjay I ended up having to call a major purveyor of baby food and ask them to quit sending me "free" formula since I didn't have a baby, and because I was on the mailing list of a well-known performing arts venue I got my first AARP membership invitation in the mail when I was 27.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Laugh 5
  • Surprise 1

Have Carole's Daughter products been shown recently? I see it on the website but I haven't seen it presented or on any specials. I bought some of her shampoo a year or so ago. My hair was really over-processed and it worked great.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

Have Carole's Daughter products been shown recently? I see it on the website but I haven't seen it presented or on any specials. I bought some of her shampoo a year or so ago. My hair was really over-processed and it worked great.

I've wondered now that her stuff is available in stores too that the Ho doesn't feel as inclined to show Carole's Daughter on air anymore. I'm not sure what else could be behind the lack of TV time for a line like that. 

• Useful 2

On 11/15/2020 at 10:56 AM, LeeDenny said:

HSN had her on in September. My favorite is the Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I feel bad that Colleen Lopez is starting to annoy me now.  Also that she has her daughter-in-law on with her.

I find her insufferable. She thinks she's all that. Who tries to outshine their daughter-in-law, the bride?

image.png.c4ed3aeedb0fd92caeca3c9d22719f3e.png

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Just seeing this now about Colleen and daughter in law. Tried to find it but I guess I am too late. Who is her daughter in law? 

(and yeah, Colleen looks wonderful but a bit too wonderful for MOG ( mom of groom.). Don't get me long, I would be thrilled to look that good, but yea, not in good form.

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Wow, Colleen looks great in that dress ! 

Yes, she looks fabulous. But in a wedding picture, we're supposed to be noticing that the bride looks fabulous.

• Like 12

Agree that Colleen looks great in that dress AND that it’s bad form to try to outshine the bride.  I have seen photos from a wedding where the MOB tried to do the same thing, though.  I was shocked.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Makes me recall when Joy Mangano's daughters were being pushed as HSN stylists to the stars when Iman was on....

You could tell Iman could barely control her contempt. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Kudos to Shannon Smith for honesty. A few minutes ago she was previewing HSN’s version of the Halo jump starter and flicked its flashlight on and off (or maybe it was a hazard/warning light function, I wasn’t fully watching). “I’ve seen THAT in my rear-view a few times,” she said, then added she’s better behaved in many ways these days. Joking but not. I give her full credit. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

Kudos to Shannon Smith for honesty. A few minutes ago she was previewing HSN’s version of the Halo jump starter and flicked its flashlight on and off (or maybe it was a hazard/warning light function, I wasn’t fully watching). “I’ve seen THAT in my rear-view a few times,” she said, then added she’s better behaved in many ways these days. Joking but not. I give her full credit. 

The last few times I've seen her on she seems a lot different. Less smarmy or something.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

I laugh, yet I would make the same error. That’s how it SHOULD be, dammit! 

I think many of us say it that way too. Even Valerie said it wrong during the presentation.

• Like 1

The spell check program sold out during its first airing.  It was the only order of the season.  There may be more coming next year, depending upon conditions in uncertain times with our manufacturing partners.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

Oh HSN, selling the Black Friday BOGO iFrogz airpods as "four gifts" when essentially it's two sets with their chargers. Callie Jo Marie Ann Northern herself doesn't sound convinced. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 2

8 minutes ago, deepradish said:

Oh HSN, selling the Black Friday BOGO iFrogz airpods as "four gifts" when essentially it's two sets with their chargers. Callie Jo Marie Ann Northern herself doesn't sound convinced. 

sift and gift 

• Laugh 4

17 hours ago, deepradish said:

There are four gifts. The charging pads and their cables are boxed separately. They're in addition to the two pairs of earbuds that have their own cables and are also boxed separately. The charging pads aren't necessary to charge the earbuds, and can be used to charge other devices.

749048649_Screenshot(149).thumb.png.9c658c465b14f83050bae00d4876a532.png1676370641_ifrogzdesc.thumb.JPG.8d471b06b081c64b2e162f96ad1de222.JPG

• Useful 3

On 11/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, LeeDenny said:

I find her insufferable. She thinks she's all that. Who tries to outshine their daughter-in-law, the bride?

image.png.c4ed3aeedb0fd92caeca3c9d22719f3e.png

The chick in the gold dress looks more like a beauty pageant contestant than a mother of the bride/groom.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

Colleen looks fabulous in that dress. She could have toned down the glam a little. Looks very red carpet. Both Colleen and Susan Graver made stunning MOBs.  Doris Doll10 ( in black) on the other hand forgot she was MOB at her son's wedding and thought the party was for her! I had to cut out a former host cough cough but that's Leigh Griffin from HSN.

20201130_094248.thumb.jpg.0f177551cda401fae2bb074d6dc206f8.jpg

SG'S son's wedding 2013:

20201130_104117.thumb.jpg.6ad29976d7a90412f13f50ba94168449.jpg

SG's daughter's 2016:

20201130_104101.thumb.jpg.f446ea283631ab1a06d5e770b2b919ac.jpg

Edited by mpeeps
  • Like 6

Come ON, Colleen!  As a Minnesota native (and fashion person), you should know that is NOT “buffalo plaid,” as Comfort Code (Cuddle Duds) and HSN should know in that red TS.  It is plaid, but NOT Buffalo plaid.  Honestly, just google.

• Like 3

I tuned in too late today.  I like the TS booties and throw combo, but just about everything is advanced sale.

Is the “Warm & Cozy” vendor the same woman who used to sell a certain brand of sweaters years ago?  (Forgot the brand, but they were cute for the time.)

Shades of Liberace, an HSN vendor wearing lots of big bold gold jewelry. This is Martino, the OAP for Gabor Wigs, showing the HSN Today's Special. He's wearing four big gold rings, a huge gold medallion, big gold curb link bracelet, and a large gold watch. Plus a loud big floral print shirt and tattoos on his inner arms. Wowza!

Martino said the Gabor Wigs company is 51 years old now. The TSV, 092-770, is a synthetic hair wig that is heat-resistant. You can use a curling iron or a flat iron on it.

misc pics HSN Martino from Gabor wigs 1 jewelry 12-30-20.jpg

misc pics HSN Martino from Gabor wigs 4 jewelry 12-30-20.jpg

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Surprise 4

I was curious about Gabor Wigs history,  remembering magazine ads back in the 70s.

Eva and a business partner founded Eva Gabor International in 1969.  At its peak her company was the world's largest wig manufacturer,  selling almost 1.5 million annually! Apparently her manufacturing design was new in the industry. 

The company ended up being owned by Western Auto Supply (!), which was bought by Sears (!!). Sears divested Gabor to private investors. 

Now Gabor is owned by HairUWear, a private company which also owns Raquel Welch wigs, among other products. 

Into her 70s Eva made personal appearances at department stores and salons.  Reading interviews, she had real interest in business, Dahlink!

• Like 1
  • Useful 8

11 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Shades of Liberace, an HSN vendor wearing lots of big bold gold jewelry. This is Martino, the OAP for Gabor Wigs, showing the HSN Today's Special. He's wearing four big gold rings, a huge gold medallion, big gold curb link bracelet, and a large gold watch. Plus a loud big floral print shirt and tattoos on his inner arms. Wowza!

Martino said the Gabor Wigs company is 51 years old now. The TSV, 092-770, is a synthetic hair wig that is heat-resistant. You can use a curling iron or a flat iron on it.

misc pics HSN Martino from Gabor wigs 1 jewelry 12-30-20.jpg

misc pics HSN Martino from Gabor wigs 4 jewelry 12-30-20.jpg

He looks like a hitman for the Gay Mafia.

Edited by Captain Bob
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Diane Gilman DG2 TSV.   She has so many jeans/leggings that I get confused.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Diane Gilman DG2 TSV.   She has so many jeans/leggings that I get confused.

Looks like a new "fabrication".

I hate it when they put buttons on pull on pants. I try to buy pull on pants as I never wear a shirt tucked in and buttons leave a bump. Do people tuck shirts into pull on pants?

Edited by LeeDenny
  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, LeeDenny said:

Looks like a new "fabrication".

I hate it when they put buttons on pull on pants. I try to buy pull on pants as I never wear a shirt tucked in and buttons leave a bump. Do people tuck shirts into pull on pants?

I only tuck shirts into substantial weight woven pants with zippers. (I mean the same weight fabric that's used in men's pants.)  In stretchy pull-on pants, you'd see the shirttail bunched up under the pants fabric. Maybe you could get away with it if you wore a fitted skinny tee.

• Like 1

@Coffeecup and @LeeDenny In the 90s, we made-do with bodysuits to deal just with that😟.  I'd be too self-conscious about attempting it now (lol!), but I always loved the look of a mock turtleneck tucked into jeans and with ankle boots.  The underneath snaps were a pain on those things (no kidding!😬🤦); however, it was one of the rare ways a "casual" outfit could be put together (at least back then) without sloppy gym clothes.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, EscapeFromNJ said:

@Coffeecup and @LeeDenny In the 90s, we made-do with bodysuits to deal just with that😟.  I'd be too self-conscious about attempting it now (lol!), but I always loved the look of a mock turtleneck tucked into jeans and with ankle boots.  The underneath snaps were a pain on those things (no kidding!😬🤦); however, it was one of the rare ways a "casual" outfit could be put together (at least back then) without sloppy gym clothes.

one thing that I wasn't into as a comeback are bodysuits, hated them back in the day and do now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

one thing that I wasn't into as a comeback are bodysuits, hated them back in the day and do now.

Even from way before my era (90s), I do not know😳 how my mom's generation (she was in her 20s during the 70s) managed to wear long sleeve Danskin leotards with just (usually) bell-bottom jeans; as the nylon was still transparent and it was "en vogue" (then) to often go braless at the same time😰.  I mean, I plead guilty to the fashion police for having worn the aerobics stuff when I can remember signing-up for my first own gym membership around 1994 (stereotypical thong racerback leotard over capris....and I was not a "stick figure" either at 19: I was about a sz8) AND: it was impossible to actually think you could keep yourself hydrated once suited up in that because it was such a hassle to use the restroom each time (lol!).

I tend to like all things retro and, I do love denim styles from the 70s (I cannot stand jeans or "jeggings" with spandex though; because, to me, they aren't the "real thing" and have a fake tacky look).

Edited by EscapeFromNJ
  • Like 3

Looking forward to see Michael V. & GEV  on HSN in February.  He always brings some nice quality items and a few at decent prices. Time will tell if HSN will give him more shows after this initial one. I'm hoping he will show up on ShopLC along with Chuck.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1