Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Home Shopping Network

I resisted the full TS cookware set but did get the Curtis Stone 13” x 9” roaster. My stoneware 13 x 9s always break, and I tried a NordicWare cast iron one but just loathed it. Hated paying $5.50 shipping but know it will be (conveniently or otherwise) out of stock the next time they offer free shipping.

My work here is done. 😅

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

The Winter Lane TS is a snow globe with central figures surrounded by other figures that rotate. But the speed of the rotation is dizzying—and inappropriately hilarious in the Nativity version. Those three kings are in a hurry.

• Laugh 14

On 10/27/2020 at 11:43 PM, mpeeps said:

🤣

"Hi, everyone.  I'm Alexandra Baker.  Your home BFF." 

Home BFF.  😂  Kind of presumptuous, don't you think?

• Sad 4

Home decor -- especially holiday decor -- is one area where HSN just sucks, and is NOT competitive with QVC. HSN's snow globes, table top decor, lights, trees etc always look so cheap. They had wall scones once that looked lie frigging cardboard.

Each "sister" channel has its strengths and weaknesses, of course. HSN is MUCH better with crafting/sewing (which QVC doesn't do AT ALL), although even with sewing HSN has cut back.

HSN is/was better with unique accessories, with Joan Boyce (who's not there anymore) and Iris Apfel -- and even Mine Finds with Jay King.

In apparel Martha Wynne and Anthony are favorites, with Iman also. Even though I'd give that edge to QVC.

Oh, I haven't seen the Slinky brand recently. Is Jackie Schecter (sp) gone?

Edited by selhars
  • Like 3

I watch HSN and QVC about equally. QVC has more strength in its inventory/offerings. However, HSN hosts are less of a turnoff.

There's only one HSN host who's an INSTANT click for me. For me, QVC has more hosts and OAPs in the "click" category.

Edited by selhars
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, selhars said:

I watch HSN and QVC about equally. QVC has more strength in its inventory/offerings. However, HSN hosts are less of a turnoff.

There's only one HSN host who's an INSTANT click for me. For me, QVC has more hosts and OAPs in the "click" category.

There are just a very few QVC hosts I can watch now for more than a few minutes.  It's a win though, paid off my QVC account of all easy pies today!!!  Woohoo!!!  I only tune in now for the snark factor.

• Like 7

Saw a new male host this morning.  His name is Ty, I think.  Just caught him at the end of a show.  Young, tall, perky.

• Like 3

HSN added the 2 new hosts, Ty and Nicole, to the picture page.  No one has left.  I can't understand why they need new ones without 24/7 broadcasting. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

HSN added the 2 new hosts, Ty and Nicole, to the picture page.  No one has left.  I can't understand why they need new ones without 24/7 broadcasting. 

Maybe they won't be renewing contracts for two seasoned hosts and they're getting replacements ready to go. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Somebody Stop Me said:

Shannon Smith seems to be on less recently. Only one hour tonight, for example. I hope she’s not going anywhere. She’s got one thing no QVC hosts have:  A great voice.

Carolyn has a good voice, her radio voice. But her personality leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 4

The only HSN host who is an absolute, instant instant click for me -- is......Alyce Caron. Talk about adding NOTHING to a presentation. All she does is repeat what the OAP says -- or what a producer has said in her ear.

Seems like she's never prepared or knows anything about the product.

I don't see much of Bobbi Carter or Callie Northagen (due to when I watch).  Callie is fine. I'll watch her. Bobbi is "OK." IF I had to pick a second instant click it would be her. Nothing against her really. I just don't find anything she says worth listening to. She has no appeal to me whatsoever.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

18 hours ago, Thumper said:

Saw a new male host this morning.  His name is Ty, I think.  Just caught him at the end of a show.  Young, tall, perky.

Just my type. Young, tall, perky.  Yeah right 😂

• Laugh 8

I looked at the HSN schedule for all of November and Shannon Smith doesn't intro a single TS.  She was once the Queen of Midnight,  so looks like they've put her on the back burner. 

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, selhars said:

The only HSN host who is an absolute, instant instant click for me -- is......Alyce Caron. Talk about adding NOTHING to a presentation. All she does is repeat what the OAP says -- or what a producer has said in her ear.

Seems like she's never prepared or knows anything about the product.

I don't see much of Bobbi Carter or Callie Northagen (due to when I watch).  Callie is fine. I'll watch her. Bobbi is "OK." IF I had to pick a second instant click it would be her. Nothing against her really. I just don't find anything she says worth listening to. She has no appeal to me whatsoever.

Alyce is boring as host, flat no personality 

as for Bobbie, she's OK she's been there since they began (or close to) so she gets survivors points

• Like 4

I really like Sarah Anderson. The only thing I know about her is she lived in cold states like Minnesota and Colorado and she currently lives in an apartment. It's refreshing to not to listen to a host blabbing about their family and their personal lives.

• Like 8

I like Sarah too. One of their better hosts.   She worked at Evine when it was Evine.

She has a husband,  a dog and has moved a lot (including a small NYC studio.)  That's sufficient. 

• Like 6

Clicked in to HSN for a moment because the show was called “Nostalgic Christmas.”  The item they were selling was a smartphone device ... so nostalgic! 🤨.  Click!

• Laugh 7

I think there is something 'off' with their program guide. I was all set to watch at midnight to see the Ninja TS, as was listed on my on-screen channel guide. I tuned in and saw a sanitizer wand. Click. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Free shipping day at HSN. If you’re a Curtis Stone fan, grab his 13x9 baker, which is still on sale for $24.95. I got it for that price and paid for shipping and could not be happier with that thing (I posted a review in the review thread).

ETA:  It’s also a 10% back day on Rakuten. 

Edited by Somebody Stop Me
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

On 11/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, Somebody Stop Me said:

Free shipping day at HSN. If you’re a Curtis Stone fan, grab his 13x9 baker, which is still on sale for $24.95.

WAHHHHH. Thanks anyway. When I went to get it, it was sold out, but they did say that I had good taste. Enjoy yours!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

WAHHHHH. Thanks anyway. When I went to get it, it was sold out, but they did say that I had good taste. Enjoy yours!

Oh, I’m sorry! Ideally more stock soon. I got the dreaded “sold out” notice on the saucepan I wanted.

• Like 2

I was not impressed in the least little bit by the OAP for the new Halston line. For all we know she's some "influencer" who actually knows very little about Halton and the brand. All I heard was tired cliches. And I wasn't impressed by the items I saw.

QVC's H by Halston I did/do like. And loved Cameron Silver...ever since I saw him on his Bravo TV show "Dukes of Melrose." I LOVED that show. AND Cameron knows fashion. You could tell he knew his stuff when it came to Halston. He has used his knowledge to shill on QVC. But at least I could respect that he knew what he was talking about. Not that he wouldn't sometimes BS us......But the HSN Halston OAP, UGH no way she really knows what she's talking about. IF she does, she didn't show it. Then again Amy Morrison was running off at the mouth at a mile a minute.

Edited by selhars
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, selhars said:

I was not impressed in the least little bit by the OAP for the new Halston line. For all we know she's some "influencer" who actually knows very little about Halton and the brand. All I heard was tired cliches. And I wasn't impressed by the items I saw.

QVC's H by Halston I did/do like. And loved Cameron Silver...ever since I saw him on his Bravo TV show "Dukes of Melrose." I LOVED that show. AND Cameron knows fashion. You could tell he knew his stuff when it came to Halston. He has used his knowledge to shill on QVC. But at least I could respect that he knew what he was talking about. Not that he wouldn't sometimes BS us......But the HSN Halston OAP, UGH no way she really knows what she's talking about. IF she does, she didn't show it. Then again Amy Morrison was running off at the mouth at a mile a minute.

Some people shouldn't be on TV and the Halston OAP is one of them, yikes.

8 hours ago, selhars said:

I liked that they were offering a dress and blazer not the same kind of things that Q was serving up , tunics etc,  and Cameron was wonderful  

H and Q have different views on what their customers want , Q skews very casual 

The H by HSN looks very much like the dept store line 

• Like 2

True about HSN.  For example I can't imagine Antthony on Q.  He does mostly dresses and skirts and has a devoted base of "church ladies" who are fun to listen to when they call in!

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

True about HSN.  For example I can't imagine Antthony on Q.  He does mostly dresses and skirts and has a devoted base of "church ladies" who are fun to listen to when they call in!

he def knows and respects who he is designing for 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

he def knows and respects who he is designing for 

I agree.  HSN is a great fit for him and he knows his clientele.

And a good number of those church ladies wouldn't be caught dead wearing casual slacks in church, even if it was their own funeral.  The phrase "Sunday Best" still means something.

Edited by letusprocrastinate · Reason: spelling
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

H and Q have different views on what their customers want , Q skews very casual 

I never really thought about this. Q seems mostly interested in the white suburban mom demographic. I wonder what will happen to D & Co. when Caro’s ladies are no longer around. 
HSN seems to cater to more diverse demographics. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

I never really thought about this. Q seems mostly interested in the white suburban mom demographic. I wonder what will happen to D & Co. when Caro’s ladies are no longer around. 

I think HSN offers more different kinds of clothing,   like dresses and jackets, such as Iman, and Wendy she was  around, now this Halston line and Antthony,  Diane G is casual but not sloppy . 

any "dressier" line on the Q hasn't lasted at all 

• Like 3

Can I just say, I think Anuschka's bags are plug-ugly 90% of the time, but that some of these TS patterns are just particularly not my thing. Hippie Holiday, Lady Liberty, and Music City are just noes for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

They're targeting "wine moms."

misc pics cartoons wine too much meme.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

They're targeting "wine moms."

misc pics cartoons wine too much meme.jpg

That explains alot of the bad behavior on the Q!! Took them awhile to catch on and actually have wine on the set but it's really not thar cool or funny. Seems to be a running joke every where though.

20201113_165647.thumb.jpg.8814588ba04801309f10211fcbc1013c.jpg20201113_165630.thumb.jpg.ab403c12d5cb19f7e20353739717fe4d.jpg

Edited by mpeeps
  • Laugh 3

6 hours ago, hummingbird said:

any "dressier" line on the Q hasn't lasted at all 

I'd say Louis Del Olio is dressy. So are Bob Mackie and Dennis Basso. Used to be all the time, now Basso is all over the place. 

I said this when it first happened, Dennis Basso lost me when Q made him do leggings. That is NOT what I want to see from him. I just lost respect for him as a designer. That's all. Don't know him personally. He could be a wonderful person who would give you the shirt off his back. But, IMO, him doing leggings was selling out. And I don't like people who sell-out.

(Obviously there's an irony there, Because QVC loves sell outs.)

Q seems mostly interested in the white suburban mom demographic

Why the "white" suburban mom, and not just the suburban mom?

Edited by selhars
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

2 hours ago, selhars said:

I'd say Louis Del Olio is dressy. So are Bob Mackie and Dennis Basso. Used to be all the time, now Basso is all over the place. 

I said this when it first happened, Dennis Basso lost me when Q made him do leggings. That is NOT what I want to see from him. I just lost respect for him as a designer. That's all. Don't know him personally. He could be a wonderful person who would give you the shirt off his back. But, IMO, him doing leggings was selling out. And I don't like people who sell-out.

(Obviously there's an irony there, Because QVC loves sell outs.)

Why the "white" suburban mom, and not just the suburban mom?

It is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

It's all about the benjamins.

What do you mean? Do "white" suburban moms spend or buy differently from other suburban moms?

Edited by selhars