Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

QVC

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I noticed Affinity Pearls, did they kick out Honora for that , or were they gone already?

If they have indeed kicked Honora out for their in-house brand (and I'm also in the camp that they have, although there is still are Honora products on the website), so far what they have to offer isn't anything worth writing home about, IMO (at the link it's the first 11 items).

https://www.qvc.com/catalog/search.html?keyword=affinity+cultured+pearls

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Looks like many of the good quality Honora items are sold at other retailers now. For example, the Macy's website has 50 Honora items, most in 14K gold. They are really beautiful pieces.

https://www.macys.com/shop/jewelry-watches/pearls/Brand/Honora?id=2905

Honora was never an in-house QVC brand. When I Googled it, I learned that the Honora company was bought by Richline, a company owned by Berkshire-Hathaway, in 2020. Prior to that, Honora pearls were available at other retailers in addition to QVC.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Useful 4

50 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Looks like many of the good quality Honora items are sold at other retailers now. For example, the Macy's website has 50 Honora items, most in 14K gold. They are really beautiful pieces.

https://www.macys.com/shop/jewelry-watches/pearls/Brand/Honora?id=2905

Honora was never an in-house QVC brand. When I Googled it, I learned that the Honora company was bought by Richline, a company owned by Berkshire-Hathaway, in 2020. Prior to that, Honora pearls were available at other retailers in addition to QVC.

You're right:  I should have used that the kicking out of Honora would be in favor of Q's house brand, aka. Affinity.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

You're right:  I should have used that the kicking out of Honora would be in favor of Q's house brand, aka. Affinity.

QVC seems to have a long-term strategy of acquiring the brands they show on air. They already have lots of "exclusive to QVC" items from major brands, like a special color or configuration not available elsewhere. I've seen several products advertised as "exclusive to QVC until [date]."

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

QVC seems to have a long-term strategy of acquiring the brands they show on air. They already have lots of "exclusive to QVC" items from major brands, like a special color or configuration not available elsewhere. I've seen several products advertised as "exclusive to QVC until [date]."

The department store I worked for during the recession had the same strategy; slowly eliminated the name brands and replaced with private label, in-house brands.  In my opinion, it was a huge component of their eventual undoing.  Filed under:  Defunct

• Like 5
  • Useful 4

About Honora, I remember it being discussed here before that the older guy, the main OAP, retired and his son was taking over the company?  Since the sale to Richline took place in 2020, this seems to track.

Like @Coffeecup said, Honora has always been available at other companies, even before the sale to Richline.  I have even gotten a few pieces of Honora at Nordstrom Rack and at TJ Maxx, pieces that were way more beautiful than anything they ever offered up at QVC, particularly these last few years.

• Like 6

The TSV is so overpriced.  No wonder they have David hard-selling it.

Furthermore, I don't want a vacuum cleaner with a battery I will need to replace if said vacuum cleaner is going to cost me $700.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 2

14 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The TSV is so overpriced.  No wonder they have David hard-selling it.

Furthermore, I don't want a vacuum cleaner with a battery I will need to replace if said vacuum cleaner is going to cost me $700.

Hmmm…let’s see…you could buy 8 or 9 Sharks…or…50 janitor brooms…or…a Hoover in every color…or…The Beekman Broz herd of goats if you don’t mind them eating your dirty carpet and pooping.

$700 for a hunk of plastic with a motor? Insane! That kind of robbery sucks AND blows. 

Even more insane is the rep telling us Dyson is no longer innovating and pushing their ball vacs. Old technology. Isn’t spry. Can’t get under furniture. Too heavy, clunky. Yeesh. The Q pushed those things for years.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 4

I know it's the future and I'm old fashion, but I'll always think that a vacuum cleaner should be plugged into an outlet.  Like a toaster and a blender.  A cord doesn't bother me.

• Like 7

I have a ball Dyson and I love it, but I don't think I'd ever want a cordless.

Call me old-fashioned, and I agree, some things need to be plugged in.

Also would not pay $699 for a vacuum.

• Like 6

After several years of buying Dyson products, I am now staying away.  The motor of the stick vac I bought just last year is actually falling apart.  My Dyson fan/heater, which I loved, is now producing a screeching sound that is not pleasant in the middle of the night.  I am finding that the quality is just not as high as before. I do have an Air Ram, which works well (if I can find the charging cord when I need it.) I just bought a Shark that plugs in.  I will see how that works.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

I’ve had a Dyson animal stick vac for about 10 years. It’s still going strong. It’s great for hardwood or tile. It will clean the surface of carpet but I don’t rely on it for a real vacuum job. At the time I bought, I think it was a much better rechargeable than others. But now, everyone has caught up for a much lower price. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

About Honora, I remember it being discussed here before that the older guy, the main OAP, retired and his son was taking over the company?  Since the sale to Richline took place in 2020, this seems to track.

Like @Coffeecup said, Honora has always been available at other companies, even before the sale to Richline.  I have even gotten a few pieces of Honora at Nordstrom Rack and at TJ Maxx, pieces that were way more beautiful than anything they ever offered up at QVC, particularly these last few years.

A little background information: Stanley Schechter, one of the founders of Honora in 1946, died unexpectedly in 2001 while on a business trip in Bangkok. Joel Schechter, his son, took over and was the man we saw on QVC for so many years. But Joel's son Michael Schechter is not in charge of Honora. According to his LinkedIn page, Michael works for the parent company Richline as Director of Customization. He specializes in digital sales strategies and e-commerce. He is also the primary business manager for Richline's jewelry brand Gemvara, which is available online only.

Ralph Rossini became the president of Honora, but left the company in 2017 for unspecified reasons.

Here the trail of information ends. Several sources, such as Bloomberg, say Rossini is still president of Honora Industries, but on the company's Facebook page they said in 2017 that he was gone. I couldn't find him on LinkedIn.

All I could find out about current executives is that Roberta Schechter is Vice President. Don't know whether she's a Schechter daughter, or married into the family.

Anyway, I'm glad Richline is keeping the company alive. Nice pearl jewelry will always be in style.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

You might get a kick out of this — I did, giggling at myself that it worked out!  Yesterday I had a bridal shower luncheon to attend.  Searching through my closet for what to wear, as I’m usually a cotton capris/skort and “Life Is Good” t-shirt wearer with my Birkenstock’s for errands or the casual lunch.

Tried on some dresses, tops, skirts, of course not wanting to appear too lumpy (no shape wear!)  or frumpy.  Only expected to know MOB, bride, sister of bride and one other person there.  

Ended up wearing a Susan Graver liquid knit skort and an old (you can imagine) CITIKNIITS tank!  😂😂. With a Q pendant on a Q necklace that I have had for years!  (I hardly ever wear necklaces, but I have lot of the components from QVC.  Sigh.).  Not Birks — found a comfy pair of sort-of shiny sandals to wear.  (Birks would have been ok.)  I looked decent and cute! lol

I was just pleased that I managed to put something (old, but) decent together! 😂

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 19

38 minutes ago, Thumper said:

You might get a kick out of this — I did, giggling at myself that it worked out!  Yesterday I had a bridal shower luncheon to attend.  Searching through my closet for what to wear, as I’m usually a cotton capris/skort and “Life Is Good” t-shirt wearer with my Birkenstock’s for errands or the casual lunch.

Tried on some dresses, tops, skirts, of course not wanting to appear too lumpy (no shape wear!)  or frumpy.  Only expected to know MOB, bride, sister of bride and one other person there.  

Ended up wearing a Susan Graver liquid knit skort and an old (you can imagine) CITIKNIITS tank!  😂😂. With a Q pendant on a Q necklace that I have had for years!  (I hardly ever wear necklaces, but I have lot of the components from QVC.  Sigh.).  Not Birks — found a comfy pair of sort-of shiny sandals to wear.  (Birks would have been ok.)  I looked decent and cute! lol

I was just pleased that I managed to put something (old, but) decent together! 😂

The struggle is real, glad you found something nice.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Thumper said:

Don't you just love when you can put things together that you already own? 💖

Oh, did anyone marvel at how your skort was "literally like liquid"? 🤭😄

• Laugh 13

9 hours ago, PopItInUrWasher said:

Found Pop It In Your Washer, Pop It In Your Dryer, Pop It On Your Body at Burlington for "under $9" 

20210802_120358.jpg

Not those colors, but I had bathroom wallpaper that looked like that.  In 1985.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Can't find my original post, but someone asked me to report back on my order for the NYDJ jeans.

https://www.qvc.com/NYDJ-Slim-Bootcut-Jeans.product.A382344.html?sc=PRODFEED&TZ=EST

They were a  TSV or on sale for some reason, as mine were $98.  I consider myself a 14, but I am thick in waist and tummy, so I ordered the 16P (I'm 5'4").

They are too big in waist, tummy and mostly in the hips and thighs.  The length (30")  was okay.  Sending them back and will not try another size, but at least I have a better sense of how they fit.  Note these are not pull-on, but had zipper.

OTOH, the Haute Hippie Skinnies I ordered as a(n)  LTS for $20 (now 37) in size 16 fit great!!! (Hmmm. maybe I'm NOT a 14 in jeans anymore!!  😂 )

https://www.qvc.com/Haute-Hippie-Tribe-Mid-Rise-Skinny-Jeans.product.A376921.html?sc=PRODFEED

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

Call me a cheapskate..

Twelve sausage patties, $70? No thanks. Rachel and the mustachioed ‘meat ambassador’ said “without a casing patties” are super special stuff.

I can buy a cart full of pigs and a bottle of sauce for that price.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

10 minutes ago, BenchWarmer said:

Call me a cheapskate..

Twelve sausage patties, $70? No thanks. Rachel and the mustachioed ‘meat ambassador’ said “without a casing patties” are super special stuff.

I can buy a cart full of pigs and a bottle of sauce for that price.

I'm on Team No Casing (I'll take it off myself if I have to) but it's not hard to tell Q's food prices have gone up.

(Where haven't food prices gone up?)

• Like 3

David is dressed in black tie & apron. He was doing the hard sell with puppy eyes about feeding the hungry. I guess it’s a good cause but I’m sure the Q will still make money on it somehow. I don’t usually watch his shows. He’s too much for me & that stupid Happy Dance. I haven’t bought anything in a while so I’m not tempted to buy their expensive over priced food items. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

David is dressed in black tie & apron. He was doing the hard sell with puppy eyes about feeding the hungry. I guess it’s a good cause but I’m sure the Q will still make money on it somehow. I don’t usually watch his shows. He’s too much for me & that stupid Happy Dance. I haven’t bought anything in a while so I’m not tempted to buy their expensive over priced food items. 

It's not all food items.  Right now there's a phone sanitizer.

That being said, they're making it clear everything being shown during this 2-hour show has been donated.

• Useful 3

1 minute ago, letusprocrastinate said:

It's not all food items.  Right now there's a phone sanitizer.

That being said, they're making it clear everything being shown during this 2-hour show has been donated.

Donated. Interesting. All for a good cause in the end.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thumper said:

What is the cause?  And how much goes to it?  Just saw it online; not watching.

They keep putting up a graphic that a minimum of 70% of a purchase price (excluding things like tax and S&H, of course) benefits the Housewares Charity Foundation for distribution to Feeding America.

(They are occasionally selling food during this 2-hour show, but there's plenty of it during demos of housewares.)

Forgot to add they're also advertising that if you purchase something you are eligible to participate in an online cooking demo with David.

• Useful 2

They're even bringing over brands normally seen on HSN, including an item from Curtis Stone (Curtis did not make an appearance, though).

• Surprise 1

Angel Smedley's dog made a brief walk-on in her show. He entered the viewing area and walked behind her, then turned around and went to stand next to her. He looked up at her expectantly, wagging his tail, but she didn't acknowledge him or pet him, so he walked away.

Product video: A270756 Quacker Factory Regular Knit Corduroy Pull-On Slim Leg Pant. The presentation was on Q2, Aug. 4.

Holy horizontal stripes, John, what is that thing you're wearing?  It's so vibrant that it just about jumped out and bit me when I was browsing the QVC-TV YouTube page.

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 2 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 3 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 4 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 5 8-04-21.jpg

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Angel Smedley's dog made a brief walk-on in her show. He entered the viewing area and walked behind her, then turned around and went to stand next to her. He looked up at her expectantly, wagging his tail, but she didn't acknowledge him or pet him, so he walked away.

Product video: A270756 Quacker Factory Regular Knit Corduroy Pull-On Slim Leg Pant. The presentation was on Q2, Aug. 4.

Holy horizontal stripes, John, what is that thing you're wearing?  It's so vibrant that it just about jumped out and bit me when I was browsing the QVC-TV YouTube page.

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 2 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 3 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 4 8-04-21.jpg

misc pics QVC pets Angel Smedley dog 5 8-04-21.jpg

Looks like he’s wearing Polo. John shouldn’t be in summer clothing when they are shoving fall fashion on the viewers. 

• Useful 1