Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

QVC

2 hours ago, Captain Bob said:

I sort of get the vibe its a Company Town and QVC is the company. Much like an old time mining town where the entire town economy is based on the market value of whatever they are mining. But instead of gold or coal they are mining horrible clothes and overpriced foodstuffs.

"Hey everybody, come over here! I just hit a big vein of sherpa pajamas!"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 15

Sheesh, the HP laptop I've owned for 3 years or so now has a superior processor and more memory than the TSV.

Edit:  And if I recall, I paid about the same price for it.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 4

QVC may think it runs the show, but being a Philadelphian, I'd say West Chester is more known for West Chester University than QVC. No one here thinks West Chester, and thinks of QVC. Outside of home shopping circles, a person may very well have never heard of QVC. It's a sort of, "QVC hosts are TV stars in their own mind" sort of thing. The West Chester employment scene is very diverse. There are hospitals, numerous school districts, and all kinds of big box and small business retail. Plus, if you include the county, Walmart and Home Depot are major employers and Vanguard (the mutual fund investment house) is headquartered there. And Comcast, which is headquartered in Philly, has a major presence as well.

For example one chart I saw (20 best biggest companies to work for in WC, PA) listed : West Chester based Keystone Foods: 110,000 employees, Qurate: 21,080.  And while the university may have fewer employees, the school is the big dog there. (Close to 18K students and 3K employees)

While I'm sure WC and county officials love having QVC there -- who wouldn't -- it IS a major player in its industry -- people in WC don't think of QVC as the tail that wags the dog, and will say in a heartbeat that WC is more than QVC. It's a good corporate partner to have, just as any other major company would be. But West Chester is no company town because of QVC.

Edited by selhars
  • Like 3
  • Useful 7

I don’t live far from West Chester and have lived in the area for 55 years and have yet to run into a QVC host. They must live in their houses and the studio because I’ve never run into one. I would think I would recognize them (not so much the newer ones) but I’ve never run into one or know anyone who knows one. I’m pretty sure a lot live in the West Chester area but they must not must go out much or they head to their shore homes in the summer or NYC to shop. Of course, NYC isn’t the place to be during these COVID-19 times. Has anyone from the West Chester- Philadelphia area run into a host? 

• Like 2

From my limited experience, there are the "stars" paying publicists to put their names and faces everywhere they can, the "local stars" who still wouldn't often be recognized on an everyday basis at the grocery store and will be OK if you greet them and keep it quick (like your 6 p.m. TV anchor or a TV shopping host or someone on a cable channel show), and the actual stars with the bodyguards.

Also from my experience, there are a lot of people who are supposedly famous who walk around pretty anonymously, only known to the people devoted to their profession.  For example, Stephen Breyer once got mugged when he was jogging in DC; he's a Supreme Court Justice.  In another example, two kids from Gaithersburg, MD High School returning from a recruiting trip to Nebraska sat on the plane next to a huge Nebraska fan and they had no clue who the guy was.  The guy knew chapter and verse about Nebraska football and had been converted into the fandom by his wife.  He spoke at those kids' high school graduation.  It was Clarence Thomas.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I don’t live far from West Chester and have lived in the area for 55 years and have yet to run into a QVC host. They must live in their houses and the studio because I’ve never run into one. I would think I would recognize them (not so much the newer ones) but I’ve never run into one or know anyone who knows one. I’m pretty sure a lot live in the West Chester area but they must not must go out much or they head to their shore homes in the summer or NYC to shop. Of course, NYC isn’t the place to be during these COVID-19 times. Has anyone from the West Chester- Philadelphia area run into a host? 

I live in Ca. but when I visited West Chester I went to the KOP mall. I met David Venable in Macy’s or Nordstrom or whatever their big store is. He was in cosmetics. I went up and said “Hi David” He said “Do I know you?”  I said “No I just know you from tv”. He grinned and we talked for a minute. I’ve found when you meet someone like that for real, you really don’t have that much to talk about. 😀

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

not loving the TS today  despite the price it looks "cheap " to me and I mean cheap in design and fabric,

also has Bby K kicked QF out

or is Quaker suffering from lack of inventory,  it's usually on  with lots of Christmas stuff

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

5 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

not loving the TS today  despite the price it looks "cheap " to me and I mean cheap in design and fabric,

Yeah, looks like Q has definitely gotten to Kim; bring the good stuff when you make your debut and after a year or so if you're doing well we'll assimilate you into the Qborg.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Yeah, looks like Q has definitely gotten to Kim; bring the good stuff when you make your debut and after a year or so if you're doing well we'll assimilate you into the Qborg.

so true Qborg,  or as I referred to it "D&C-ified". 

they all devolve into DC stuff, when I first got the Q they were doing D&C velvet burnout big shirts!!!

• Laugh 3

Coco was comparing the tsv as an alternative to a blazar.  More comfortable than and ideal work from home clothing for all those zoom meetings!!! 

• Laugh 3

10 hours ago, ByaNose said:

A friend of mine who lives near Philly has run into David Venable many times over the years.  She says he's very pleasant.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

LoGo:

keeps doing the sharkbite hem, I am not seeing those in the stores at all  now

I'm not in the stores much these days, but I am giving up some of my sharkbite hem items.  I'm tired of them.

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, hummingbird said:

or is Quaker suffering from lack of inventory,  it's usually on  with lots of Christmas stuff

I tuned in to see the TSV, and my first thought was yikes!  It comes across on tv looking cheap and shiny.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Sheesh, the HP laptop I've owned for 3 years or so now has a superior processor and more memory than the TSV.

Edit:  And if I recall, I paid about the same price for it.

QVC isn't notorious for selling state-of-the-art or even small village-of-the-art technology.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

5 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I agree about the TSV.  Who is Bby K?

So QVC fires the off the charts weirdo Antonella but keeps the live on air drunk Carolyn America West no lips Pollack.  UM, could it be sales?

Good gawd Nancy, cut your effing hair you look like a hag!

7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I agree about the TSV.  Who is Bby K?

my short hand for Belle by Kim. 

14 hours ago, selhars said:

I'd say West Chester is more known for West Chester University than QVC.

and it's also heart of Brandywine Country,  Amish Country , lots of tourist stuff

we went to the Q when we were college shopping to look Westchester U,  which we liked 

• Like 3

Heh.  In my love for red plaid, I ordered the red TSV!     I have had good luck with Belle tops, but I read the measurements and I can often go down from a L to an M.

I’ll report back if it makes me look huge. 😁

• Like 6

11 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I’ve found when you meet someone like that for real, you really don’t have that much to talk about. 😀

And yet, people (some viewers) think of them as friends, and maybe even "family." They want to know why they're not on air this week. Where they went on vacation. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram. Look up where they live. Find out how much they paid for their house. Wonder where their kids go to school and what their spouses do for a living. etc.

Amish Country 

Well, Lancaster County is more Amish Country. But I get your drift. 

Edited by selhars
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Help me here.  Suede leggings from NYDJ.  Suede.  27” inseam!  For suede.  In cold weather.  QVC seems to favor “ankle” pants, but come on.  Suede???  In winter????

https://www.qvc.com/NYDJ-Alina-Faux-Suede-Legging-Jeans.product.A391352.html?productNumber=A391352&sc=ISRC

They are fake suede, 95% polyester/5% elastane.  The 27" length is unsuitable for cold weather, unless you wore them with tall boots. Ankle booties (as shown in the QVC model picture) or sneakers, forget it. Who wants to freeze their shins off?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Help me here.  Suede leggings from NYDJ.  Suede.  27” inseam!  For suede.  In cold weather.  QVC seems to favor “ankle” pants, but come on.  Suede???  In winter????

Those would be full-length for me. 😁 But I have no idea what ankle length legging jeans are.

• Like 2

i  like an ankle jean or pant but once it is cold it's boot cuts and boots for me

of course it depends where you live I think ,  Calif or the south they would be great for the cooler months

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

i  like an ankle jean or pant but once it is cold it's boot cuts and boots for me

of course it depends where you live I think ,  Calif or the south they would be great for the cooler months

Yeah, but your ankles still freeze when it’s cold.  It’s gotten down to 30 degrees the last 3 nights here in central Ca.  Br-r-r.  75 during the day, 30 at night. Who knows what to wear. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

Yeah, but your ankles still freeze when it’s cold.  It’s gotten down to 30 degrees the last 3 nights here in central Ca.  Br-r-r.  75 during the day, 30 at night. Who knows what to wear. 

k

I see ladies wearing flip flops here when it is 50 degrees and lower which I think is totally nuts

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

k

I see ladies wearing flip flops here when it is 50 degrees and lower which I think is totally nuts

I have seen this a few times up at home in Canada when I've flown back this direction and taken a red-eye.  The local airport would have a 11 p.m. or so departure to someplace like Cancun or somewhere in the Caribbean and most of the people getting on the plane were dressed for the destination:  shorts, t-shirts, sandals, flip-flops.  Who cared if it was December or early January and the temperature outside was zero or possibly even lower than that?  So I would be standing a few gates over wearing my winter boots and coat and thinking, "I hope you all don't have to suddenly get off that plane sometime between now and warmer weather."

• Like 2
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TOAD said:

You can't fix stupid and the "rep" is seriously a bitch at the beginning talking about sound and giving that sneer with her lopsided face.

She is awful and is heavily Botoxed.  

• Like 2

That's Denise Repko.  She's an OAP for many health and wellness products and has a HUGE ego.  Of course she's a physical trainer and yoga expert!  

359095241_Screenshot2020-11-10at1_43_02PM.thumb.png.df8a46f0b1c5300039f1c191a4ba86ff.png

Sandra B's press on nails are pretty bad too!

1483165469_Screenshot2020-11-10at1_43_57PM.png.00255b76811c34fe6598de2957003876.png

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

if you watched that presentation she might have been annoyed by the fact that neither Sandra nor the model had no idea how to demo the product she was pushing.  it was disastrous.  who is responsible for that I don't know but I  watched it live  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

if you watched that presentation she might have been annoyed by the fact that neither Sandra nor the model had no idea how to demo the product she was pushing.  it was disastrous.  who is responsible for that I don't know but I  watched it live  

It absolutely was a disaster.  There were times when Denise was trying to show how to properly use it (and there is a certain way it has to be used otherwise you're wasting your time) but she'd get cut off or spoken over and back it went to the studio where the thing was being showed off like a tennis bracelet would be.

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 4

M-68165, 16 4-oz stuffed pepperoni balls for $60.37.

Ham/cheese, pepperoni, or combo.

Looked to me I could create nearly the same thing with deli ham or pepperoni, the cheese of my choice, bread rolls, and either a panini press, a microwave, or a toaster oven.  As in, they were selling a glorified sandwich melt.

• Like 4

M-71336.  Anderson Seafoods 8 pieces of 5.5-oz Pecan Crusted Tilapia.  $91.50.

That works out to over $10 per piece.

Tilapia is one of the cheapest fish you can buy.

Heck, it's the fish on the in-room food service menu at the local hospital (unfortunately, I know this). 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

4 hours ago, mpeeps said:

That's Denise Repko.  She's an OAP for many health and wellness products and has a HUGE ego.  Of course she's a physical trainer and yoga expert!  

359095241_Screenshot2020-11-10at1_43_02PM.thumb.png.df8a46f0b1c5300039f1c191a4ba86ff.png

bp-monitor-oap-w-rev.gif

• Like 1
  • Laugh 12

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Yikes !  With those cheeks, she looks like Jigsaw !  😲😵

OMG... Jigsaw LMAO

6 hours ago, hummingbird said:

She was acting like a know it all bitch before the moron model.

• Like 1

Leah and her eye bags along with her bad hair day look super scary tonight.  MY GOD

Just now, TOAD said:

Leah and her eye bags along with her bad hair day look super scary tonight.  MY GOD

AND the rep for smileactives nose should have its own zip code.

• Like 1

Oh my, Alberti and Martha. He adores her and tries so hard to get a pat on the head from her and all she does it throw shade at him. She's so good at it. A perfect pair for our viewing entertainment. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9
  • Surprise 1

I went to WCU and lived in West Chester for many years.  I went to QVC on a field trip for one of my marketing classes!  Also David Venable lived in my condo complex at the same time I lived there after college, but I didn't know him then.  People I know have run into him at HomeGoods in Exton and they said he couldn't have been nicer.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 4

On 11/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, Boston said:

I'm sure you miss her and i am so sorry for your loss so early.  Good news... Walmart delivered ANOTHER order to my Mom today.. no extra charge.  The funny thing was, mom sent me an email and said "thanks for the GOPHER".  I was like "what?".  It is a Reacher/Grabber tool..lol  She loves her own names for things.  

PS on the order my mom got (double with no charge for me).  She told me last night she was donating the food to a FOOD BANK .  Still always the fool, me.. trying again.  I called her ungrateful and selfish (the point of the stuff i sent was for her to stock up on some things.. the virus is very bad here.  Said goodbye, poured a JD and water (my emergency stash of hateful mother chatter in my head).  Sometimes you can never win.. I should have learned this 30 years ago in therapy that i went to EVERY WEEK for years.  Anyway, today is a new day.. Life goes on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6