Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

QVC

On 6/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, Booney said:

Years ago, I used to buy a lot of Valerie's products, especially for Christmas. Her items were tasteful and attractive. I can't remember the last time I bought something from her line. I agree with both of you - too much mercury glass, too many things that light up, and just a general cheapening of her merchandise. Somehow Val still manages to cheerfully present all that kitsch.

I’d be cheerful too if my cash register played jingle bells and happy danced all the way to the bank.

We are coming out of hunker-down and send grandma a candle on a mercury glass pillar mode…battery-operated socially-distanced hugs. 

Val knows how to turn on the schmaltz. She’ll figure out what the next “trend-right” heart tug thing is.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

On 6/30/2021 at 12:11 AM, ByaNose said:

I see on Q2 which I never watch is selling 2 Vera Bradley face coverings $8.05. I’m guessing they are trying to unload their massive quantity they bought. Of course, leave it to QVC to go over an even amount. They just had to kick in the 5 cents. I’m not wearing my masks anymore and I have about 4 or 5 in my back seat. I also have 2 extra baseball (Phillies) mask in my house which I’ll probably never wear. I also have a 10 pack of those disposable ones that I bought at Giant at the height of the pandemic. Yup! I’m covered and hopefully I won’t be needing them anytime soon. Sincerely yours, Double Vaccinated. 

Ditto.

Your post reminded me…

A bit earlier I mentioned the Q is gonna be selling post pandemic “pack ups” consisting of a face mask, LoCo house dress and obsolete refurbished lap top.

• Laugh 9

19 hours ago, Booney said:

Kerstin's version for David:

"Stop eating that greasy bacon caw caw."

A few days ago while selling instant greens, Kerstin told the rep her husband takes her young son to McDonald’s.

Shudder. Shudder. “Cold chills.” Horror. Faint. Thump.

• Laugh 8
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Cupcake04 said:

Me too.  This will show my age but I miss the Silver Savings/Silver Style shows from back in the day.  Once a month Sunday morning 8-12.  This was pre OAP and the shows were loaded with products and they didnt linger too long on one thing so it went quick and had so many items.  So much so that there was preview at start, review half way, then loong like 10 min review at end of every item in show.  I am so old that it was first Janies show, then she left and Jill took over.  It was my must see tv.  I may have been known to VCR it so I could go back.  This was before internet or dvr so if you changed channel you missed it.  Of course it was also way inexpensive.  I wont say cheap tho cuz the quality was amazing.  Stuff you would never ever find anywhere else.  Lots of gemstones.  I have so much silver from back then.  Ah...those were the days!  

Me too too.

I had a little note book and jotted down every item, number, price and gram weight for comparison and review.

I can’t remember if the average price was $1 per inch or per gram but it was super cheap. Commodities silver was selling for $5 an ounce, so jewelry was plentiful and solid. I still have heavy-duty solid Ripka link bracelets and necklaces that were shockingly “expensive” at $60 along with thick solid cuffs, bangles and rings by designers of the day (RLM) 

Last summer I decided to start giving my daughters silver jewelry items that I no longer wore. I was shocked to see I had hundreds of pairs of earrings (many of which I never wore) piles of tangled chains, rings with big stones that are now being sold as ‘rare”, pins, brooches, etc. I wanted my girls to know many pieces had backstories. In all, their haul was more than 5 lbs of tarnished stuff to fight over.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

22 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My favorite QVC jewelry piece is from Eterna Gold.  It is a ring in the shape of a cat with teeny diamond eyes.  I wear it a lot.  I have some other Eterna bracelets that are quite heavy.  No way could I afford to buy that much gold today.  Eterna Gold was good quality.  They don't have shows any more, do they?

Lol on Eterna Gold.

In the early 2000s QVC had a lot of introductory “try me” items that were dirt cheap.

One of the items was a 4 gram 14k gold Eterna Gold oval bangle which, including shipping and taxes, cost under $100.

About a year later a heavy bronze door closed on it and crushed the “uncrushable” tubing. (It probably saved me from a broken arm) I sent the bangle back. My bracelet was no longer in stock so they sent me a 6.7 gram replacement along with paperwork saying commodities gold was $635 per ounce.

Eterna was a frequent Q show. Now, not so much. Ted seems to have gone into hibernation.

Edited by BenchWarmer
  • Surprise 5

Another TSV that is advanced orders and not shipping for 3 weeks.  It seems this is becoming their new norm. 

• Like 2
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 3

I really, really like some of the designs of the Scott Reversible Quilt Set....but I decided NO, because I think I can find something similar elsewhere for less.

• Like 5

After working from home since last March, I'll be back in the office full-time beginning next week. Early on in the panademic I had QVC on as background noise.  Having seen probably much more than I anticipated, I realize just how tired and predictable QVCs products and presentations are.  I certainly watch less now, and haven't purchased anything since January.

As soon as Susan Graver's theme song came on this morning, I quickly changed the channel. Why is she one of the few who gets a theme song? I have the same adverse reaction when I hear the TSV intro music. Click.

I'm curious to see if QVCs sales decline as more of us head back into the office.

All that being said, my favorite part of QVC is this forum!

• Like 14

@Dottie D good luck heading back to the office. It’s optional for us so I’ve been easing into it. It has definitely been weird and unsettling. I hope it goes okay. 
You can always watch/listen to Q on your phone at work. 😆

• Like 9

My QVC jewelry memory from the way back machine is the hours and hours of hosts trying to romance herringbone and curb link gold chains.  It's mirror finish!  It's reversible! This one won't kink, we swear! What I remember most is buying for $20 bux per gram or less.  

Still haven't taken it to the melt-down guy, but I get closer every day.

Ran across this gem, and couldn't help but notice the changes through the years (Lori Greiner, I'm talking to you(r face).  I didn't edit out whatshername at the end, so this may poof.  <shrug>  

• Like 9

https://www.qvc.com/Disneys-Frozen-2-16"-x-16"-Silk-Touch-Plush-Pillow.product.H220818.html?sc=PRODFEED

Sorry I don’t know how to get the picture to show.  This is a lunchtime special today.  It is a pilllow, but when I first saw it, I thought it was one of those little packets we got as young girls learning about periods!  You know, a little booklet and a couple of pads.  

Even the wording, “Trust Your Journey” fits! 😂

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10
  • Surprise 1

14 minutes ago, Thumper said:

https://www.qvc.com/Disneys-Frozen-2-16"-x-16"-Silk-Touch-Plush-Pillow.product.H220818.html?sc=PRODFEED

Sorry I don’t know how to get the picture to show.  This is a lunchtime special today.  It is a pilllow, but when I first saw it, I thought it was one of those little packets we got as young girls learning about periods!  You know, a little booklet and a couple of pads.  

Well, Tropical Depression Elsa has formed in the Atlantic, so the timing works.

• Laugh 5

29 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Screenshot_20210701-153200_1.thumb.png.2bdca25c6b1377b3adf060efef3a1fa8.png

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

If the Weather Channel has any brains in their collective skull their list of winter storm names will include Olaf.

(I think their naming of winter storms is stupid, BTW.)

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4

11 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

I really, really like some of the designs of the Scott Reversible Quilt Set....but I decided NO, because I think I can find something similar elsewhere for less.

I was thinking the same. I can get better thread count sheets at a lower price at Walmart compared to the TSV.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My QVC jewelry memory from the way back machine is the hours and hours of hosts trying to romance herringbone and curb link gold chains.  It's mirror finish!  It's reversible! This one won't kink, we swear! What I remember most is buying for $20 bux per gram or less.  

Still haven't taken it to the melt-down guy, but I get closer every day.

Ran across this gem, and couldn't help but notice the changes through the years (Lori Greiner, I'm talking to you(r face).  I didn't edit out whatshername at the end, so this may poof.  <shrug>  

I didn’t realize Blabs is barely tall enough to see over the table. Her big mouth and huge ego make her seem so much taller.

• Laugh 12

Lemming alert…where to begin? Buyer beware?

SHOCKINGLY…it’s a holiday weekend and the TSV is a laptop.

The offers read like a confusing smorgasbord of colors, features, sizes, horsepower and ship dates.

Obviously the Q is counting on unsophisticated customers to get lost in the tangle and spring for the most expensive and expeditious option, thinking they are getting the best, the fastest.

However…

In response to a question overnight from a customer, Alex, the HP rep, admitted that there is a mix of component parts in the different options due to a worldwide shortage of chips and the Q’s need to get the laptops out to customers ASAP. Apparently, the more expensive options have smaller internal storage than the cheaper models. He suggested memory cards as a solution.

OK kids…you know how the other day I suggested a post pandemic “pack up” of a cloth face mask, house dress and wonky lap top? The future is here…

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, BenchWarmer said:

Lemming alert…where to begin? Buyer beware?

SHOCKINGLY…it’s a holiday weekend and the TSV is a laptop.

The offers read like a confusing smorgasbord of colors, features, sizes, horsepower and ship dates.

Obviously the Q is counting on unsophisticated customers to get lost in the tangle and spring for the most expensive and expeditious option, thinking they are getting the best, the fastest.

However…

In response to a question overnight from a customer, Alex, the HP rep, admitted that there is a mix of component parts in the different options due to a worldwide shortage of chips and the Q’s need to get the laptops out to customers ASAP. Apparently, the more expensive options have smaller internal storage than the cheaper models. He suggested memory cards as a solution.

OK kids…you know how the other day I suggested a post pandemic “pack up” of a cloth face mask, house dress and wonky lap top? The future is here…

To me, scrolling through the specs, the only noticeable differences are the one with the 512 GB solid-state drive and the latest ship date of July 26 does not have the touchscreen feature.  The other one, which is $70 more, 256 GB, and with options for a now or a July 15 ship date, does have the touchscreen feature.

So, essentially, are you willing to sacrifice performance in order to have a touchscreen?

But also looking at the specs, these are, as per usual, older laptops.  One way I can tell is that they have DVD players, which are harder to find these days in the newer ones.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Useful 6

7 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

DVD

q customers might want them?

I have no doubt some will like the built-in feature vs. having to go out and buy an external player. 

• Like 4

Does anyone have details about this tote bag at the bottom left of this picture?  I didn’t see it on the Items Recently Aired page on QVC’s website during last night’s show. My mom has been wanting a new bag, and this looks like what she’s described. 

98129BB9-FD0D-4144-BE5B-FFE2FFAE7593.jpeg

• Useful 1

I looked for you.
I found a sort of similar one on the q site, $75.

It is great looking tote. It should be an item they sell.

I found many under general search, under the heading of French market tote…DAC593AD-89FA-452F-BEC3-E7739114DA86.jpeg.d2d47c2088efa4b529cffbcc88965193.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Thanks @hummingbird and @From Where I Sit 😊 I was looking for “straw tote.” Your search words work better. I thought for sure it would be something in the show, but they never mentioned it during the time I watched. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

idly watching Kirstin sell the laptop

"not some bargain basement"

then you would have to "pickup office etc"

Um, the Office 365 subscription only lasts a year, then you need to renew it out of your own pocket.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

The QVC2 best deal is no longer the "QVC2 Big Deal" but now "Today's Bonus Buy" 

So many things to improve, the last thing was the name of the sister channel's best deal. 😏

• Laugh 6

41 minutes ago, PopItInUrWasher said:

The QVC2 best deal is no longer the "QVC2 Big Deal" but now "Today's Bonus Buy" 

So many things to improve, the last thing was the name of the sister channel's best deal. 😏

So far, these "Bonus Buys" are more like, "Stuff that didn't sell well and we're trying to get out of the warehouse even if we have to cut the price by up to 50%".

• Like 4
  • Laugh 7

6 hours ago, hummingbird said:

DVD

q customers might want them?

I'm old, and I want the built-in DVD player. I bought an HP Windows 10 desktop in 2019 (not from QVC), and it came with the built-in player.

To really show my age, I remember having a computer with a floppy disk drive. 😁

About the MS Office subscription, I bought it, and it costs $99 per year. Gone are the good old days when your office task software was loaded with your new computer, and you could use it for the life of the computer without additional charges. Everybody makes you pay for an annual subscription now.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Coffeecup said:

I'm old, and I want the built-in DVD player. I bought an HP Windows 10 desktop in 2019 (not from QVC), and it came with the built-in player.

About the MS Office subscription, I bought it, and it costs $99 per year. Gone are the good old days when your office task software was loaded with your new computer, and you could use it for the life of the computer without additional charges. Everybody makes you pay for an annual subscription now.

I have a laptop with a built-in DVD player too.  Still use it.

I remember the floppy disk drive too.  As in it took the real, 5 3/4 inch ones (I think they were that size).  It made me grumpy when the next, smaller, iteration with the hard cases were referred to as floppy disks.

What really gets me is that Q is selling Intel i3 processors like they're awesome, when they're the lowest grade.  If you don't need the best graphics quality and just want to use a computer for things like surfing the web, doing video calls, and using Office 365, it's good (I'm typing on a older-version i3).  Anything more complicated and it's better to go higher.  This is one of the reasons I think this TSV is a bit overpriced.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Prepare to be shocked. The Fitbit watch TS coming up is not the latest model!

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 14

What makes me sad are the well-meaning grandparents who buy QVC computers and stash them away for a Christmas present for the grandkids, thinking that they made such a great purchase and the kids will be so happy.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, hummingbird said:

bummer was going to ditch my apple watch for it 

I did love my Fitbit One, which they d/c

It looks like it’s a good price. It doesn’t have built in gps so you’d still need a phone with you for run/walk stats. GPS seems like it’s worth the extra money for the latest version. 

Edited by LeeDenny
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3

5 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

There are free alternatives. I've been using https://www.openoffice.org since 2008. Another option is https://www.libreoffice.org.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

bummer was going to ditch my apple watch for it 

I did love my Fitbit One, which they d/c

they are selling to a user who isn't that up on computers and also the ez pay customer who buys it b/c of just that ez pay

I’m still using my Fitbit One, hbird! It’s been going strong for years now and I hope it lasts a lot longer since, as you mentioned, it’s been discontinued.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I have a laptop with a built-in DVD player too.  Still use it.

I remember the floppy disk drive too.  As in it took the real, 5 3/4 inch ones (I think they were that size).  It made me grumpy when the next, smaller, iteration with the hard cases were referred to as floppy disks.

What really gets me is that Q is selling Intel i3 processors like they're awesome, when they're the lowest grade.  If you don't need the best graphics quality and just want to use a computer for things like surfing the web, doing video calls, and using Office 365, it's good (I'm typing on a older-version i3).  Anything more complicated and it's better to go higher.  This is one of the reasons I think this TSV is a bit overpriced.

The Q is notorious for selling laptops/desktops with i3, or really cheaping out- a Celeron processor and marking up the price by hundreds of dollars. An i3 is entry-level and would be typically in the 300-400 range at Best Buy (and lower if there's a holiday sale). For comparison, in 2019 I bought a touch screen, fold-it-into-a-tablet HP laptop in a fashion color (champagne) with the mid-level i5 processor for $500 at Best Buy (with backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader). I would NEVER pay Q prices for their laptops. But sadly, the draw is the Easy Pay. 

• Like 5

On 7/1/2021 at 3:05 PM, Thumper said:

So funny, this made me think about that day so long long ago when the girls in my class all got "the talk".  I recall a filmstrip with some vague diagram of a uterus, and being really confused about the whole thing.  They really didn't give much useful info back then in the mid-late 60's, if you know what I mean.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

I remember our booklet from all those, well…decades ago. It was pastel colored pamphlet with the phrase, “Fresh as a Daisy”, or words to that effect. ☺️

• Like 7
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, From Where I Sit said:

I remember our booklet from all those, well…decades ago. It was pastel colored pamphlet with the phrase, “Fresh as a Daisy”, or words to that effect. ☺️

Yeah, good luck with that girls. 

• Laugh 6

9 hours ago, From Where I Sit said:

I think ours was called “Growing Up and Liking It.” 😂

• Laugh 8

On 7/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, Retired at last said:

What makes me sad are the well-meaning grandparents who buy QVC computers and stash them away for a Christmas present for the grandkids, thinking that they made such a great purchase and the kids will be so happy.

I learned that lesson myself…

Two years ago I gave my 14 y.o. grandson a laptop that had been purchased for graphics work two years prior. It had every bell and whistle money could buy at the time (bought at brick & mortar) 

Me:  Surprise! Here’s an almost new laptop for your school work and gaming.

Him:  Thanks grandma, but the specs suck. It’s two years old.

Me:  I paid $1000 bucks for it. The salesman said it has the horsepower to last for years.

Him:  Maybe you can donate it to a nursing home.

• Laugh 7
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 4

On 7/3/2021 at 11:01 PM, PopItInUrWasher said:

The Q is notorious for selling laptops/desktops with i3, or really cheaping out- a Celeron processor and marking up the price by hundreds of dollars. An i3 is entry-level and would be typically in the 300-400 range at Best Buy (and lower if there's a holiday sale). For comparison, in 2019 I bought a touch screen, fold-it-into-a-tablet HP laptop in a fashion color (champagne) with the mid-level i5 processor for $500 at Best Buy (with backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader). I would NEVER pay Q prices for their laptops. But sadly, the draw is the Easy Pay. 

Keep in mind…

The rep said they were throwing in whatever component parts they could get their hands on to get these things out the door. I.e., they cobbled together a bunch of crap to make a sale.

Interesting confession.

Edited by BenchWarmer
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

17 minutes ago, BenchWarmer said:

Keep in mind…

The rep said they were throwing in whatever component parts they could get their hands on to get these things out the door. I.e., they cobbled together a bunch of crap to make a sale.

Interesting confession.

EXCATLY ! ! !  i3 is like so 15 years old school.  I was thinking the same thing thing.  You are buying an already "out of date" computer ! ! ! 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BenchWarmer said:

Keep in mind…

Interesting confession.

Yeah they threw in everything short of that link to David V's ultra exclusive FB group 

• Laugh 10

I don't know what the Truth + Style lady said (wasn't fully paying attention), but it prompted Jayne B. to say, "We did work together before, but I guess it wasn't very memorable..." 😆

• Laugh 10

11 minutes ago, PopItInUrWasher said:

I don't know what the Truth + Style lady said (wasn't fully paying attention), but it prompted Jayne B. to say, "We did work together before, but I guess it wasn't very memorable..." 😆

The rep said, “Happy to meet you.”

The rep is pretentious and off-putting. Maybe she didn’t look down her nose far enough to remember Jayne’s face. Jayne lobbed shade right back at her.

All of Susan’s country club snob doesn’t erase the fact it looks like she’s “broadcasting” from a musty old attic.

• Laugh 8
  • Surprise 1

Well, well, well, look at what I found at Burlington today...Brooke Shields Timeless blouse for dirt cheap 😆

Also saw a Martha Stewart button down blouse for $4.99, and a D&Co sweater that looked like it had been kicked around the store for $9.99 (I thought it should've been clearance for like $3). 

20210706_115937.jpg

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 8

Man, is the presentation of M-78610 (Shrimp Scampi) misleading. I'm not an idiot (well, not all of the time).  They're dressing this up to make it look better than shrimp and sauce in a pan, so live, B-roll, and still photos are showing it with pasta, which you won't get with it.

• Laugh 1
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 2