Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

47 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

I liked it

I am tired of Camilla being made a villain after 20 years,  she has stepped into a role and is well-liked and can wear the big jewels with style

I agree with you.  It takes two to tango, as they say.  I have always found that there rarely is a black and white situation, particularly when it's about matters of love and marriage.  As I like to say, the world can and should be a fabulous shade of gray!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

@leFay  You're probably aware, but rough weather headed our way.  Tornado watch for Franklin County.  Be safe ?

OMG! When I got up this morning and checked the weather on my phone, for some reason I reminisced about that tornado the Springfield area had about 6 years ago in June!!! *dashes off to weather.com*

You stay safe as well, neighbor!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Lady J said:

I guess they think that we oldies are not as likely to change brands. However, I have to say I'm as susceptible to advertising as the next person.

That's part of it. Older people tend to be loyal to brands they've bought for a long time, and unwilling to switch brands. I'm that way myself about some products; for example, I won't buy any detergent except Tide, no matter how much the competitors advertise or how many coupons they offer me. Tide is "my" detergent.

The other part is that American society devalues older people. You're nothing here unless you're young, thin and hot. I'm oversimplifying it, but I know many of us older people feel rejected, ignored or treated as if we've deteriorated so much we have no usefulness to society any more. We get attention from advertisers mostly for the negative aspects of our lives. Look at the ads on channels like MeTV, for example: prescription drugs, mail-in colon tests, reverse mortgages, canes, oxygen tanks, etc. Advertisers think we're all so sick we don't want to buy anything fun or pretty, much less things that are useful to a person of any age. Look at ads for household cleaning products. They typically feature "cute young wife" type actresses wearing tight jeans.

Stopping rant now -- I could go and on about this topic!

• Like 15

4 hours ago, hummingbird said:

I liked it

I am tired of Camilla being made a villain after 20 years,  she has stepped into a role and is well-liked and can wear the big jewels with style

And, she must be pretty damn good in the sack.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

Older people tend to be loyal to brands they've bought for a long time, and unwilling to switch brands.

I'm quite open to change, but hubby is firmly stuck in the '50s.  The commercials aimed at the old folks are pretty offensive.  

image.png.2e7e6683ed33eba4c0202e6c4ed021da.png

• Like 12

Agreed on the insulting commercials.  When I had disposable income, I was what they call an early adapter.  Any time a new gadget or gizmo came out, I had to be one of the first to get it.  I still would be if I was still working, as many are.  I am not stuck in my brands, either.  I will always give the new ones a try.  Do I have preferred brands? Sure, I do.  But with improvements being made all the time, wht not give the new brands a try?  Can always go back to the preferred ones if the new one doesn't impress.

I think "elderly" people today are much different than elderly people of previous generations.  Advertisers are dropping the ball by not realizing that.

• Like 16

We had hail during a thunderstorm today. The kidlets were fascinated; it's the first time they saw it. One of my sisters hasn't had power for the past 9 hours. She swears she's going to get a generator now, because regular storms have gotten so much stronger now that she loses power more frequently than she ever did before. More trees and branches are getting knocked down.

Climate change for sure in this state.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, kittygirl said:

Chronologically I'm *elderly*. In reality I'm still a boomer and we rock.

I hate this expression

@downtheshore

we put in our generator a few years ago after Sandy and this is the first time we are using it,  trees down in the neighborhood

it's great 

• Like 9

18 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

As I like to say, the world can and should be a fabulous shade of gray!

Gray power!  ;-)

Re Diana, I respected her parenting, charity work, social skills, and charismatic ability to connect with people. I was always pulling for her to do well and her PR blunders made me sad. My sympathy went to her in the marriage even though I recognized that her own neuroses made things worse.

She's the only reason I still care about William and Harry, because the images of her with them as children, and them at her funeral, will stay with me forever.

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, 2727 said:

She's the only reason I still care about William and Harry, because the images of her with them as children, and them at her funeral, will stay with me forever.

Yeah, me too.  Both she and John Jr. were contemporaries of mine, and losing them both so close together was a bit of a shock to the system.  I feel like Diana's two sons each have qualities of hers;  William got the reserved, quiet stuff, and Harry got the "screw 'em, and do what you love" stuff.  I hope they made/are making choices that they can live a life with.

• Like 12

11 hours ago, 2727 said:

Gray power!  ;-)

Re Diana, I respected her parenting, charity work, social skills, and charismatic ability to connect with people. I was always pulling for her to do well and her PR blunders made me sad. My sympathy went to her in the marriage even though I recognized that her own neuroses made things worse.

Me, as well.  I get all weepy when I think of the picture of her with open arms, coming home from a trip, and those children running into her arms.  I'd like to think she's proud of her sons, as they have become fine young men despite some very challenging concerns.  Mr. Lovesmesome reminds me that Charles had a hand in that, as well.  I'd have to agree. 

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 18

I always identified with Diana a little bit because we both married young and each had two sons.  I remember watching her wedding when I was pregnant with my first and I was pregnant with my second when she was pregnant with her first.

A

• Like 10

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:22 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I’m so sorry for you, Bronx Babe.  I’ve experienced something similar, but opposite of yours.  I was friends with someone for many years.  I was the one who was always there for her, in the loss of her parents and her health issues.  I’d fly back to the city where we both lived for 24 years whenever she had a crisis.  But when I was going through very bad times, like when my mom had a stroke, and I really needed a friend to lean on, she was never there. When I’d call her after a bad day, and I’d want to talk about the things that were happening, she’d listen for about 2 minutes and then turn the conversation back to her and her life and what other people were doing for her. This happened each and every time I spoke to her.  And then when my dad was in his dementia days, when he was brutally verbally abusive, and more, when I would call her for support, I knew she was never listening because all she would say was “uh ha” and then turn the conversation back to her life.  I couldn’t take it anymore and ended the friendship via email.  I haven’t spoken to her since.  It’s sad to lose a long time friend, but with friends like that..........you know the rest of the saying.  

Thanks, @KLovestoShop.

Your "friend" sounds like a classic narcissist.

New developments.

Thinking I had nothing left to lose, I decided to make one last attempt to get in touch with my friend and left a message on her cell phone as she apparently wasn't picking up, so In the most forceful and booming voice I could muster, I DEMANDED that she call me back as soon as possible, reminding her of what a loyal friend I have been to her and her family all these years.  

She called back.  Didn't apologize but offered to take me out for coffee.

I thanked her but said I was busy.  She said she would keep in touch.

• Like 13

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, 2727 said:

@Bronx Babe, I've been thinking about you and your friend for a couple of days.

I had a falling out with my closest friend since childhood when she, in casual conversation, said I murdered children because I'm pro choice. She and I had never had so much as a cross word in 30+ years. We no longer lived in the same state so this conversation took place over the phone. I was so shocked I couldn't even say anything, but completely cut her out of my life after that. This was before email and smart phones, but I never answered any of her calls or letters.

That occurred many years ago but because of your story, I reached out to her through a mutual friend. I definitely don't want to try to resurrect our relationship but I do owe her an explanation and an apology. I should have had the courage to face her.

Thank you, @2727.  I'm glad if what I posted helped you resolve some of the issues in that relationship.  As a country we've become so politically and socially divided that even long-time friends are rigidly taking sides at the expense of their relationships.  It's very disconcerting to me.

However in the case of my Jekyll/Hyde friend I recently asserted myself and this is what has now turned her around to my benefit.

• Like 11

I am having dinner at a new Chinese fusion place this evening with a couple of friends.  When we saw it was called the Q House, we simply had to try it.  Do you suppose they will have only 2-3 entrees in huge quantities?  Will they offer Easy Pies on our dinner bill?  If they serve pot stickers, perhaps Diva will show up?  Will our hostess be a strangely-dressed woman with a bird's nest hair do who will describe the special of the day as totes ridic and pop down in a seat at our table while pouring us water?  Then hobble off in hoof boots to greet the next guest while scratching her backside?  Will our waitress be wearing sloppy workout gear, tell us not to order the lobster  (it's hers!), and drop for a few squats while listening to our order?

• Like 22

28 minutes ago, Denver Hoosier said:

I am having dinner at a new Chinese fusion place this evening with a couple of friends.  When we saw it was called the Q House, we simply had to try it.  Do you suppose they will have only 2-3 entrees in huge quantities?  Will they offer Easy Pies on our dinner bill?  If they serve pot stickers, perhaps Diva will show up?  Will our hostess be a strangely-dressed woman with a bird's nest hair do who will describe the special of the day as totes ridic and pop down in a seat at our table while pouring us water?  Then hobble off in hoof boots to greet the next guest while scratching her backside?  Will our waitress be wearing sloppy workout gear, tell us not to order the lobster  (it's hers!), and drop for a few squats while listening to our order?

Will the bussers wear white crops pants and size large jean jackets? Will the colors of the decor be carol and chaLk? 

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

giphy.gif

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Make sure you bring a cardigan or jacket, because the air conditioning is bound to be set too low! 

• Like 14

The Q House provided us with a good dinner and we liked the decor and ambiance.  However, as should come as no shock to those of us who are familiar with Q channel food, we thought the Q House food was quite pricey for what we received.  My entree, one drink, and a share of the dessert came to $45.  And mine was the cheapest!

The location is a little dicey after dark (carpediem will know what I mean when I say it is right near The Bluebird).  But, the fact that they took a fairly derelict older building, gutted it, and rebuilt, endears them to me.  They turned a blighted building into a nice looking place to eat.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

Make sure you bring a cardigan or jacket, because the air conditioning is bound to be set too low! 

If you need a poncho go over to the Lisa thread....she can fix you up for only 99 bucksh.   

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Denver Hoosier said:

The Q House provided us with a good dinner and we liked the decor and ambiance.  However, as should come as no shock to those of us who are familiar with Q channel food, we thought the Q House food was quite pricey for what we received.  My entree, one drink, and a share of the dessert came to $45.  And mine was the cheapest!

The location is a little dicey after dark (carpediem will know what I mean when I say it is right near The Bluebird).  But, the fact that they took a fairly derelict older building, gutted it, and rebuilt, endears them to me.  They turned a blighted building into a nice looking place to eat.

45 bucksh for dinner on a sketchy part of East Colfax?!  Holy cow!  

• Like 10

On 5/17/2018 at 8:54 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

45 bucksh for dinner on a sketchy part of East Colfax?!  Holy cow!  

45 bucks buys me a FUCKTON of cat food.  (I haven't had "dinner out" in a very long time),  ;-)

• Like 5

I'm watching on PBS because it's an all British team so they have much more insight as to whom everyone is. American coverage is pretty vapid and I loathe Gail King.

Plus, I like the accents.

• Like 11

Good Morning, Sparky Snarkers!

I'm with you, @JohnnyStar5.  Gayle King makes me want to puke.  I watched CBS for about 5 minutes and she mentioned her lover BFF Oprah about a dozen times.  Blech!  I'm watching PBS, too.

????

PTV has a forum for the wedding, but I'm staying here.  The only one I recognize there is @walnutqueen.

PTV Royal Wedding

????

You can download The Order of Service for Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle's wedding

• Like 14

George Clooney! ???

Amal looks good, too.?

Victoria Beckham is wearing her resting-bitch-face, per usual.  One of the reporters said that she never smiles in public because she doesn't like her smile. So instead, it seems, she prefers to look permanently pissed. ?

• Like 18

From Kensington Palace:

"The Queen has today been pleased to confer a Dukedom on Prince Henry of Wales.  His titles will be Duke of Sussex, Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel.

Prince Harry thus becomes His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex, and Ms. Meghan Markle on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex."

• Like 12

Oh, I just want to add that I am wearing Carol Hochman today, to view the wedding. I know the world was wondering which designer I would choose. ?

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, DownTheShore said:

Oh, I just want to add that I am wearing Carol Hochman today, to view the wedding. I know the world was wondering which designer I would choose. ?

LOL!  I just changed out of Carol Hochman into D&C finery.  ?

• Like 11

Thanks for posting that Order of Service;  that is interesting. 

8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

LOL!  I just changed out of Carol Hochman into D&C finery.  ?

Gee, maybe I should change into Halston, or throw all care to the wind and dress in Bob Mackie?  Hmmm...decisions, decisions... 

• Like 11

Here comes the bride being driven from Clivedon!  Thank God she put her hair up and it doesn't appear to have any straggly hair hanging down.  Hmmm. Wearing a veil.  I was afraid she'd wear flowers.

• Like 11

Harry, didn’t shave?

55 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Good Morning, Sparky Snarkers!

I'm with you, @JohnnyStar5.  Gayle King makes me want to puke.  I watched CBS for about 5 minutes and she mentioned her lover BFF Oprah about a dozen times.  Blech!  I'm watching PBS, too.

????

PTV has a forum for the wedding, but I'm staying here.  The only one I recognize there is @walnutqueen.

PTV Royal Wedding

????

You can download The Order of Service for Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle's wedding

Thank-you!

• Like 10

Damn.  Harry and William look like they're going to a funeral in their matching uniforms.  I wanted bright red jackets and lots of sashes and medals.  I see Harry's broken another protocol and didn't shave his beard to wear a uniform.

Ah, they're the Army Blues and Royals uniforms.

• Like 13

Wow, Fergie looks very dignified and lovely.  I see bug-eyed Bea and Eugenie didn't wear toilet seat hats this time.  LOL!  Bea, take the gum out of your mouth!  Sheesh!  I remember Carole Middleton catching all kinds of flak for chewing gum at some horse show.

• Like 16

Dang, Beatrice and Eugenie aren't wearing giant pretzel hats.

I guess Fergie is the closest Q representation at the event. 

• Like 13

Oh, Doria looks beautiful!  I love her dress and hat.  

Camilla has a pink swan on her head!  LOL!

The Queen!  And Phil!

• Like 12

Choir preform’s “Stand by Me” really pretty (now I am tearing up).

Edited by BillyGoat
  • Like 11

The bride’s dress is gorgeous and she looks amazing. Harry looks handsome - I like the scruff!

The camera panned to Elton John. He looks like an old woman. He and RLM could be long-lost twins.

Edited by Booney
  • Like 19

1 minute ago, Booney said:

The bride’s dress is gorgeous and she looks amazing. Harry looks handsome - I like the scruff!

The camera panned to Elton John. He looks like an old woman. He and RLM could be long-lost twins.

Love the dress as well, simply elegant.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, BillyGoat said:

mentioned her lover BFF Oprah about a dozen times.  Blech!  I'm watching PBS, too.

almost spit out my coffee 

11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Gorgeous dress.  That veil is too long, though.  Is she wearing the tiara Diana wore?

one of Queen Mary's 

• Like 12

Haven't heard yet what or whose tiara it is.  I thought they said the gown was Givency. 

I felt bad for her mother being the only representative of her family there, but don't blame her for not inviting the yahoos. Looks like she and Charles get on well together. He looked happy today. 

Glad that Harry didn't shave; it wouldn't have been him without the scruff. Looked like he teared up a few times during the ceremony. 

The American bishop definitely took that crowd to church!  Nice change of pace from the usual droning platitudes at a wedding. 

The arrangement  of "Stand By Me" was perfect for a church setting. 

That cellist is excellent. 

Edited by DownTheShore · Reason: Not enough sleep, losing language skills.
  • Like 14

I'm disappointed in the dress.  Not one bit of lace, which in royal circles is practically a rule. Not one crystal or pearl.  Her veil is fantastic. Heck, one of the most beautiful royal brides was Princess Grace, and to me, she wore the most iconic gown. I don't think this dress has any wow factor.  Her mother looks lovely, and I think the Queen looks fantastic.  Camilla's hat over takes her face.  I'm not a fan of Camilla, and I'm reading a new book (can't get it here in the US) called Rebel Prince, that doesn't paint her, or Charles, in a flattering light.  In fact, a family member calls her the laziest woman ever born.  

Ok, who's doing all that loud uvulating?  It's obnoxious.  

I am a Diana fan, and I loved how she loved her boys   Poor woman was thrown into the deep end with her marriage, and was probably chosen because at that time, a consort had to be stamped and certified a virgin.  Charles probably found the pickings slim.  But what really pulled me to Diana was her ability to understand people.  Her work for AIDS and land mines made a huge difference  

There's one thing about Meghan"s past that I'm surprised passed muster.  I fully acknowledge that 99% of today's brides have a past, but knowing that one of her past lovers was a guy who did gay porn, you'd think that would throw up a red flag.  I read a study that says AIDS is still rampant in the porn business.  

There were a lot of people who were uninvited, and some royals who were deeply hurt.  The younger relatives from the House of Windsor were all left out, but the likes of Oprah and the Beckhams were there.  Meghan does have two very respectable relatives who weren't invited-----two uncles, one of which was in government service for many years, and the other is a minister. Why weren't they invited?   I guess celebrities are more important than family to this couple. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Like 6

Good grief!  What's that horrible caterwalling whilst they're climbing into the carriage?

Chuckles looks like he's taken Doria under his wing.  That's nice.  She must be overwhelmed.

The Queen didn't look very happy at all today.  Not one smile that I saw.

• Like 10