Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

8 hours ago, Phronsie said:

I went to Catholic grade school also...but it was pretty small, 2 grades to a classroom.  We did have nuns for teachers.  No uniforms for us...but back then girls wore dresses every day.  In the winter the girls all brought a pair of pants to pull on under their dress to keep their legs warm for recess!!

High school was public school...I was a sophomore in 1970 when they changed the dress code and girls could wear pants to school.  It immediately went to hip hugger jeans and fringed jackets!!!  More modest than the micro minis girls were wearing lol!!

Hmmmm ... Did we go to the same school?  Two grades to a classroom.  Wisconsin?   I only went for 3 years before the school closed.

• Like 7

Yeah, that jello-with-stuff-in-it seems to be a popular thing from the 1960's.  I kind of remember lime jello with shredded carrots and -- maybe -- pineapple?  It wasn't bad!   I still like the lime jello/cottage cheese/killer cool-whip/ pecans-or-walnuts concoction.  Forgive me.  ?

• Like 10

I’ve had one of those jello molds that I actually liked. A long ago coworker made it, and I liked it so much that I asked for the recipe and made it myself a few times. This was years ago and I’ve lost the recipe, but I vaguely remember that it had strawberry jello, sliced strawberries and a layer that I think was a cream cheese mixture. It was really good, and now I’m going to do a Google search to see if I can find it.

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Booney said:

I’ve had one of those jello molds that I actually liked. A long ago coworker made it, and I liked it so much that I asked for the recipe and made it myself a few times. This was years ago and I’ve lost the recipe, but I vaguely remember that it had strawberry jello, sliced strawberries and a layer that I think was a cream cheese mixture. It was really good, and now I’m going to do a Google search to see if I can find it.

Yup; that sounds good, Booney.

A running joke in Minnesota is the jello salad served at Lutheran church events -- kind of a Scandinavian Lutheran thing.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Denver Hoosier said:

Tuna Chopstick is just like the tuna casserole made with potato chips except you use chow mein noodles (the crunchy ones) and add a little soy sauce.  I have an odd addiction to it.

That sounds downright fancy.  ?

I was thinking of making some tuna casserole next time it turns cold.  I use Panko bread crumbs on the top for crunch.

• Like 13

So, I had cataract surgery on Wed.  What a trip. I had horrible vision in the left eye and one day post op it was already way better than my ‘good’ eye.  I’m amazed. Will have the other eye done in a couple of weeks. I may not have to wear glasses anymore. But I told hubby that no glasses means I have to get my lids done since I won’t have glasses to hide the bags and sags ?

• Like 21

11 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

So, I had cataract surgery on Wed.  What a trip. I had horrible vision in the left eye and one day post op it was already way better than my ‘good’ eye.  I’m amazed. Will have the other eye done in a couple of weeks. I may not have to wear glasses anymore. But I told hubby that no glasses means I have to get my lids done since I won’t have glasses to hide the bags and sags ?

wonderful

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

Hmmmm ... Did we go to the same school?  Two grades to a classroom.  Wisconsin?   I only went for 3 years before the school closed.

No @Thumper...mine was in Michigan.  Ours closed when I completed 7th grade.  

10 hours ago, Thumper said:

Yup; that sounds good, Booney.

A running joke in Minnesota is the jello salad served at Lutheran church events -- kind of a Scandinavian Lutheran thing.

My Grandma made one with lime jello, marshmallow cream and pineapple.  She called it Fatty Salad lol!  It was good.  

• Like 12

5 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Good for you. I'm glad it's going well for you. 

• Like 11

10 hours ago, Booney said:

During the holidays, my favorite jello salad is my cranberry orange jello mold. I like crushed pineapple, minced celery, and grated carrots in it. Sometimes I've added cottage cheese. Love it. 

I'm not as fond of lime jello. I've had it at church potlucks where you can't tell what's been suspended in it. Olives are a NO for me. I've had some good jello pies but not often. I'd rather have a chocolate pudding ice box pie. 

• Like 12

I remember every church function for a long time wasn't complete without " sunshine salad". It was lemon jello with shredded carrots and pinapple.

• Like 12

I am the proud owner of 2 vintage jello  cookbooks which were my mother's. I don't use them since Mr. Kitty won't eat jello or anything made with it. But I can't get rid of them either.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Congratulations! Isn't it amazing to actually see clearly?

--------

I don't have my mother's spiral-bound copy of the Jello cookbook, but I did manage to get a hardcover copy of it some years ago.

--------

My ambrosia recipe consists of mini marshmallows, crushed pineapple, chunk pineapple, mandarin oranges, coconut, and sour cream. Yum. ?

• Like 15

13 hours ago, Booney said:

are you by any chance talking about this - Strawberry Pretzel Salad?

strawberry.png

Edited by Fishy
  • Like 13

Oh, I just thought of another one, apricot salad, which is a misnomer as it is more of a dessert. You can google it, it has jello, cream cheese, cool whip, pinapple and nuts. Oh my !

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Fishy said:

strawberry.png

That is SO good!  I love that it's called a salad -- it's more like a dessert.  The salty/sweet combo is great.

Every time I make it, though, the jello layer slides off the cream cheese layer.  ☺️

• Like 13

17 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

That sounds downright fancy.  ?

I was thinking of making some tuna casserole next time it turns cold.  I use Panko bread crumbs on the top for crunch.

I use Panko crumbs a lot, especially for parmesan chicken.  It bakes up nice and crunchy, yum!

7 hours ago, kittygirl said:

I am the proud owner of 2 vintage jello  cookbooks which were my mother's. I don't use them since Mr. Kitty won't eat jello or anything made with it. But I can't get rid of them either.

I got this one as a gift when I registered for my wedding.  Speaking of Jell-O horrors, i think this one was at the top. Blech.

th.jpg

th-1.jpg

Edited by PearlClutcher
  • Like 15

Ambrosia makes me think of Waldorf salad, with Apple chunks, pineapple tidbits, walnuts, and marshmallows, all breathed in mayonnaise and sugar.   Triumphantly mounted on a single iceberg lettuce leaf.  My mother lived this.  It showed up on the dinner menu at least once per week.

• Like 12

I have ro remember to turn on the Super Bowl.  I'm  watching Disney's  Snow White on something called the Freeform Channel.  Lord, those animators and colorists did a glorious job with that film,  especially compared to some janky cartoons that are on now. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Fishy said:

strawberry.png

The one I used to make was very similar, but it didn’t have the pretzel layer. This one looks delicious, though. I’ve seen Julia make it on Cook’s Country. I have a Cook’s Country cookbook, so I’ll have to see if the recipe is in it.

• Like 12

My mom made Waldorf Salad a lot, too.  Then, pistachio instant pudding came out and she switched to Watergate salad....anyone hear of that?  Pistachio pudding with crushed pineapple, mini-marshmallows and pecans.  Not bad...at least it didn't have olives or mayonnaise in it!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery · Reason: I have an unnatural fear of mayo - I am convinced it's from these Perfection Salads with dollops of mayo all over them. I can't stand looking at mayo or eating it! So I never touched Waldorf Salad!
  • Like 12

Guess I should consider myself lucky that my Mother never made any of those jello & mayo salads with celery and shredded carrots and what not.  I only ever had Ambrosia at bridal showers or wedding showers and have never had Waldorf Salad or made it ever.  I wouldn't say no to a sweet, not savory, jello salad with fruits.  In fact, I wish I had some right now.  

• Like 12

Just now, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm not feeling this JT half-time at all.  I thought I would like it.  He's getting a little old for this type of thing isn't he?

I'm pissed that he skated on the Janet Jackson deal, I won't watch. Punk !

• Like 9

Agreed.  Seems very generic, like being in a club with a DJ.  Nothing special.

Edited by Denver Hoosier · Reason: Autocorrect wanted me to go with an Osteopathic doctor. My mom would have agreed. Oh dear Lord, my mom died and became Autocorrect! Hep me!!
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm not feeling this JT half-time at all (so far).  I thought I would like it.  He's getting a little old for this type of thing isn't he?

Me either.... Meh

• Like 9

My mother was the queen of jello, usually with canned fruit cocktail and sliced banana. Occasionally she would do the lime jello with 7up. When we were sick, we would drink warm "jello juice". Waldorf salad was also a mainstay in her (limited)repertoire.  I could go for some of that right now. Jello? Not so much.

Edited by sauce62
  • Like 11

I agree but at least it's not a certain celebrity at halftime who can't sing a note or Janet Jackson with her so-called wardrobe malfunction or some angry singer making a statement.  Can't they find anyone for half-time anymore?

• Like 13

I was just coming here to see what people think of the half time show. I never was a fan of his although I can acknowledge that he can sing and he can dance- but this is just very uninspired and very un special. remember when the half time show used to be REALLY memorable and kind of like the performance of the year? Well, this one isn't. It's not bad ..... just kind of meh.

And his outfit could it be ANY MORE DRAB???????????

oh my while i was typing..........fishy said it was meh.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE.

Edited by mayvenne
  • Like 14

3 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

I agree but at least it's not a certain celebrity at halftime who can't sing a note or Janet Jackson with her so-called wardrobe malfunction or some angry singer making a statement.  Can't they find anyone for half-time anymore?

Totally agree about ^^

• Like 8

I remember when the Packers won the SB.  The Black Eyed Peas performed complete with lit up costumes timed to their music.  I really liked that because it was so different.  Now it's a snoozefest. 

Edited by PearlClutcher
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, sauce62 said:

My mother was the queen of jello, usually with canned fruit cocktail and sliced banana. Occasionally she would do the lime jello with 7up. When we were sick, we would drink warm "jello juice". Waldorf salad was also a mainstay in her (limited)repertoire.  I could go for some of that right now. Jello? Not so much.

Oh you guys, I just had the best flashback. When my grandma made jello, usually lime, she made homemade custard sauce to serve with it. It was wonderful.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

They’ve gone through all the big names and old rockers 

• Like 8

I now want Waldorf salad something fierce.

I wouldn't know a JT song if it came up and bit me on the butt.  I'm too old for boy bands and their has beens.  I used the time to finish putting away my Safeway delivery that arrived before the game.

I saw Michael Jackson at Super Bowl XXIV that the Broncos lost 55 - 10 in New Orleans at the Superdome.  He was pretty entertaining.  He was certainly better than the game, that's for damned sure.  I'd never cried at a football game before (or since, for that matter).

Dilly, dilly!  I like the Bud Light commercials.  And damn, now I cried over the Budweiser commercial about sending canned water to Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and California.

• Like 12