Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

Recommended Posts


3 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

I was just going to post the same thing, @PearlClutcher.  I miss her, too!  Nice to see @seasons and @Mother Superior!  Hope everyone is doing well.

 

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Oh gosh, I sure hope @Alte Frau is doing well! 

Seriously. You guys on this shopping channel threads are the nicest folks on this whole site. 

Sending the good vibes back your way.🌞😎💖🍀

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

And Walnut Queen. We haven't heard from her in ages.

I looked around on this site and many others have asked the same thing.  People have even messaged her but no response.  I had the feeling that she had some health issues so I have some doubts that she'll return but I hope she proves me wrong. 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

I said to myself a few months ago that there would inevitably be a shooting at one our local Publix supermarkets here in South Florida and sure enough, we just heard the tragic news....

Damn, damn damn when will all this stop

I've been using Instacart since the pandemic hit but now have another reason not to shop out in the open....I don't want to give in to my fears but all this is just too much to bear.

  • Sad 13

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I said to myself a few months ago that there would inevitably be a shooting at one our local Publix supermarkets here in South Florida and sure enough, we just heard the tragic news....

Damn, damn damn when will all this stop

I've been using Instacart since the pandemic hit but now have another reason not to shop out in the open....I don't want to give in to my fears but all this is just too much to bear.

The shootings in Atlanta have gotten so frequent it's mind-numbing. Last month there was a shootout in my local Home Depot parking lot. There was a party going on in an apartment building next door, and partygoers got into an argument and started shooting. HD customers had to duck for cover, and three of them were hit by stray bullets. It happened right by the garden center, where I shop often. I was horrified.

  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post

How horrible, @Coffeecup

It's ironic -- now that things are "opening up", we are more than ever plagued with these public obscenities.  What's to done in the short and/or long term, God only knows.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Brood X cicadas are starting to wind down.  I can still hear them, but the noise level has dropped and by this time I should have had at least one of them coming to say hello (crawling on the window screen).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I sure hope AlteFrau is ok and we hear from her soon. I have to confess I don't focus so much on the names to realize who is not posting, but when you all mention a few I realize I have missed seeing their posts.

I was happy to see Seasons and a few others who made a hello appearance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

I can’t help you with your picture issues, however here in southern NY, we have “ lightning bugs “, and usually see them in July.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Fireflies (we called them lightning bugs as kids), like it hot and humid. We had loads of them for the past couple years. I think around July also. But it got really hot, really quickly this year so maybe we will see them sooner.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

Used to be a site to reduce size of picture 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

Used to be a site to reduce size of picture 

www.shrinkpictures.com

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

I've always called them lightning bugs, here in Georgia. I have lots of them in my back yard this year. My yard is full of trees and shrubbery, and backs up to a wooded area. I think the lightning bugs like that environment. I love watching them at night. They are out there all night, but the most activity is between about 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. As soon as it gets good and dark, you start seeing the tiny lights flashing.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, artisto said:

Also:

@Puddy and @Cricket

and @DownTheShore and @ownedbysetters (although I think she changed her name, and I can't remember the newer one.)

I miss these people!! 

I'm glad @Bronx Babe is here - still wished I lived closer so I could watch TCM with you!!

 

oh, and @AuntCarol - how are you liking TN and your new home?

Edited by imisspuddy · Reason: i gotta keep up!!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

and @DownTheShore and @ownedbysetters (although I think she changed her name, and I can't remember the newer one.)

I miss these people!! 

I'm glad @Bronx Babe is here - still wished I lived closer so I could watch TCM with you!!

 

oh, and @AuntCarol - how are you liking TN and your new home?

We are really liking TN!  People are so friendly. Just always look you in the eyes, smile and say hi. It’s so nice. And it’s beautiful. We haven’t done a lot of running around yet because hubby’s back keeps going in and out. House is good. Still have boxes to unwrap. But maybe I’ll just leave them packed.  Seem to have all we need now 😄

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

@AuntCarol, did you see any lightning bugs yet?

Yes @COFFEECUP!  There was a big lightening storm the other night and I went out to watch and I saw a few in the backyard!  Too cool. I think I will see more in July when it’s more humid. I read also they are out and about around 9pm-3am. Guess they have watches. 😉

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I love this!  The footage is real, just set to Beyonce's  "Single Ladies".  It's Lucille Ball, her daughter, Lucie Arnez and Ginger Rogers from a 1971 episode of Here's Lucy.

Look at Lucille Ball go!  She and Ginger were around 60 years old when they filmed this.  Look at them go!  I just love it!

 

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I love this!  The footage is real, just set to Beyonce's  "Single Ladies".  It's Lucille Ball, her daughter, Lucie Arnez and Ginger Rogers from a 1971 episode of Here's Lucy.

Look at Lucille Ball go!  She and Ginger were around 60 years old when they filmed this.  Look at them go!  I just love it!

 

Wowza !!!  Daughter Lucie is pretty good too !  What a great memory for her to have danced with two legends. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Those were funny! Here's another:

Then: "You're not going out of the house dressed like that!"

Now: "If the school tells you your clothes are too revealing, I'll sue them."

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

 

.

 

Edited by artisto

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone else have trouble using Target.com's search function?  I just typed in "men's shorts" and got 177 items.   Trying to be more specific, I typed in "men's tie-dye shorts" and got something like 5000 choices!!  (not all shorts)  

I was looking for a pair of knit tie-dye shorts I bought for myself in the men's department in Florida earlier this year.  Guess I should have bought more then!  😄

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Thumper said:

Does anyone else have trouble using Target.com's search function?  I just typed in "men's shorts" and got 177 items.   Trying to be more specific, I typed in "men's tie-dye shorts" and got something like 5000 choices!!  (not all shorts)  

I was looking for a pair of knit tie-dye shorts I bought for myself in the men's department in Florida earlier this year.  Guess I should have bought more then!  😄

The Target website search function is sometimes very accurate for me, and sometimes it gives me lots of results only indirectly related to what I typed in the search box.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/16/2021 at 4:45 AM, AuntCarol said:

We are really liking TN!  People are so friendly. Just always look you in the eyes, smile and say hi. It’s so nice. And it’s beautiful. We haven’t done a lot of running around yet because hubby’s back keeps going in and out. House is good. Still have boxes to unwrap. But maybe I’ll just leave them packed.  Seem to have all we need now 😄

Very glad to hear!

We are currently planning our escape from MA.  Going to be a little while longer than I'd like, but I can still dream...

So glad your move has been a good one!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There's a heat wave coming to the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.  I'm worried about my parents in Canada and because of policies there the earliest I could get to see them is July 5 if I wanted to jump on a plane.

I was texting my 15-year-old nephew who lives near them and and he told me I could trust him to take care of them.

And I do.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

There's a heat wave coming to the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.  I'm worried about my parents in Canada and because of policies there the earliest I could get to see them is July 5 if I wanted to jump on a plane.

I was texting my 15-year-old nephew who lives near them and and he told me I could trust him to take care of them.

And I do.

My friend in Seattle said it’s supposed to be 110° on Monday. 😯

  • Surprise 4

Share this post


Link to post

I am angry.  Very angry.  I will not say what I would like to say because I'd be banned from here if I did.  I'm a Canadian citizen, for heaven's sake.

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

There's a heat wave coming to the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.  I'm worried about my parents in Canada and because of policies there the earliest I could get to see them is July 5 if I wanted to jump on a plane.

I was texting my 15-year-old nephew who lives near them and and he told me I could trust him to take care of them.

And I do.

Very sweet of your nephew!

I didn’t know anyone was allowed into Canada yet.  It’s a big deal here in MN where those up on the very very northern border can’t get around for business, work, school.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Very sweet of your nephew!

I didn’t know anyone was allowed into Canada yet.  It’s a big deal here in MN where those up on the very very northern border can’t get around for business, work, school.

Oh, I'm allowed, if I quarantine for 2 weeks at a government-approved hotel at an approximate cost of $2000 Canbucks at my expense in one of Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, get a Covid test in the 3 days prior to travel and another in the 3 days after, and it doesn't matter if I've been vaccinated or not.

Sorry, still angry (See, I'm Canadian!  I'm apologizing!).

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Oh, I'm allowed, if I quarantine for 2 weeks at a government-approved hotel at an approximate cost of $2000 Canbucks at my expense in one of Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, get a Covid test in the 3 days prior to travel and another in the 3 days after, and it doesn't matter if I've been vaccinated or not.

Sorry, still angry (See, I'm Canadian!  I'm apologizing!).

So sorry.  I hope your parents will be okay.  Do they have air conditioning, or a cool basement with fans, at least?  Or send them to a hotel?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So sorry.  I hope your parents will be okay.  Do they have air conditioning, or a cool basement with fans, at least?  Or send them to a hotel?

Thanks.  They have a basement and fans and my sister and nephew are close by and have AC.  I just feel so helpless because (can't say what I'd like to say).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I talked to friends of mine yesterday who live in Portland.......usually, it averages about 80 degrees all summer long.  Yesterday, he said his outdoor thermometer measured 111 and it was 109 at 4:30. 

You'd think the biggest concern would be the heat.....it's wildfires, though.  This is prime weather for those.

  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, imisspuddy said:

Very glad to hear!

We are currently planning our escape from MA.  Going to be a little while longer than I'd like, but I can still dream...

So glad your move has been a good one!

Where are you escaping to?  

Share this post


Link to post

I'm worried about @KLovestoShop -- she posted a few days ago that she'd broken her hip and fractured her foot, and was about to have surgery. I hope everything went okay for her.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I'm worried about @KLovestoShop -- she posted a few days ago that she'd broken her hip and fractured her foot, and was about to have surgery. I hope everything went okay for her.

Same here. Worried. Been waiting to hear an update. Hope all is well with her.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Where are you escaping to?  

Anywhere but here!!!!  LOL

Please don't laugh....I'd love to go to WY, but everyone I mention it to thinks I'm nuts.

I just can't take the heat so heading South isn't much of an option - I want to go somewhere where there's more wildlife than people - but everyone tells me the winters in WY are brutal.

I was born and raised here in MA - lived here my entire life, but  I just can't with these taxes here anymore....

Any suggestions??? :)

Edited by imisspuddy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Received some catalogs today and having fun looking.

Has anyone ever ordered full price from Sundance? Worth it?  I ordered a sweater on clearance last year.  A pair of earrings, full price $100+, is calling my name, but the price!

Or JJill?  Have only ordered or bought in store on sale or clearance.  Colors are often too bland for me, but I see a few things I like in the latest catalog.

Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

Anywhere but here!!!!  LOL

Please don't laugh....I'd love to go to WY, but everyone I mention it to thinks I'm nuts.

I just can't take the heat so heading South isn't much of an option - I want to go somewhere where there's more wildlife than people - but everyone tells me the winters in WY are brutal.

I was born and raised here in MA - lived here my entire life, but  I just can't with these taxes here anymore....

Any suggestions??? :)

If you want to go to Wyoming go!  Give it a try. Visit or vacation. Then rent a place. Then you can decide if you want to buy.  If you’re by yourself a condo is a good idea. And you’ll still be close to nature pretty much anywhere in Wy. Just not downtown somewhere 😁. Start investigating online. That’s what I did. I read all the best places to retire in wherever articles. Made a list of what I wanted and started searching. It was fun. Don’t you have bad winters in MA?  Just find a place you’ll be warm and cozy. You won’t have to get up and shovel out to go to work. Don’t give up on your dream. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

 

TCL, inexpensive and good. 

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

 

I had to replace a 9-year-old "dumb" Toshiba TV with an LG smart HDTV last year. I hated to do it, but my beloved old TV was just totally worn out. Learning the technology on the new LG TV and getting it to work with Comcast was a huge hassle; they had a hard time getting the TV to accept the HD signal. The new TV is much more complicated to use than my old one. Steep learning curve for me. But now everything is fine, and I've learned to like the LG. I just ignore most of the bells-and-whistles features I don't need.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Received some catalogs today and having fun looking.

Has anyone ever ordered full price from Sundance? Worth it?  I ordered a sweater on clearance last year.  A pair of earrings, full price $100+, is calling my name, but the price!

Or JJill?  Have only ordered or bought in store on sale or clearance.  Colors are often too bland for me, but I see a few things I like in the latest catalog.

Just curious.

I really like JJill and have had good luck with the clothes. The new catalog is so my taste, I will order something.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size