Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

@AuntCarol - I'm thinking about you, given the devastating weather in Tennessee.  Hope that you and your husband are safe and that your home is o.k.

We’re in Texas tonight. Taking our time. I believe most of the flooding is near Nashville. Our place is about 60 miles south of there. Thanks for thinking about me. 😘

• Like 12

11 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm glad he will be okay. I didn't know he was going thru all that. He looks very thin right now, but he's got a healthy color to his face rather than being anemic and pale. 

I like him good to hear he is OK

his long hair suits him that’s his look 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The ship blocking the Suez Canal has been put to rights and the canal is open again.

TP lovers everywhere may now rejoice.

Whew!!! 😁

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Construction on the Suez Canal started in 1859 and was completed in 1869. That’s 150 years ago! Pretty amazing feat. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The ship blocking the Suez Canal has been put to rights and the canal is open again.

Yes, as I was standing at the checkout line at Target with my 18 roll pack of toilet paper and my 12 roll pack of paper towels, I started getting text messages from the news services I subscribe to that the ship had been set free!

Not to be an alarmist, but the TP and paper shortage wasn't just about this ship being stuck!  As the article I posted a couple of days ago pointed out, it's the shortage of shipping containers for the pulp that poses a more imminent threat.  This Suez Canal debacle didn't help matters, but it's not the main reason we're facing a possible global shortage.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yes, as I was standing at the checkout line at Target with my 18 roll pack of toilet paper and my 12 roll pack of paper towels, I started getting text messages from the news services I subscribe to that the ship had been set free!

Not to be an alarmist, but the TP and paper shortage wasn't just about this ship being stuck!  As the article I posted a couple of days ago pointed out, it's the shortage of shipping containers for the pulp that poses a more imminent threat.  This Suez Canal debacle didn't help matters, but it's not the main reason we're facing a possible global shortage.

I still have a couple of industrial-sized roles from last year. They are right next to my 400 cans of pork and beans.🤣

• Like 2
  • Laugh 9

40 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

I still have a couple of industrial-sized roles from last year. They are right next to my 400 cans of pork and beans.🤣

and you dont' need to spend your Stimmy on beans 

• Laugh 3

5 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

IMG_2227.JPG

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

This is true.  Getting that ship dislodged is cause for minor rejoicing. 

I also stocked up on TP in the past few days.  That's partly because I inherited a "never can have enough TP" gene.  Less than a 12-pack of double rolls and I get nervous.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

This is true.  Getting that ship dislodged is cause for minor rejoicing. 

I also stocked up on TP in the past few days.  That's partly because I inherited a "never can have enough TP" gene.  Less than a 12-pack of double rolls and I get nervous.

My husband is the same way - I never got too excited about toilet paper until I couldn't find any this past year!  We still have a case of 40 rolls down in our basement storage closet that I purchased from Amazon in December.

He's also concerned about an impending coffee shortage, also in the news and being blamed for the shipping container shortage.  So part of my evening is going to be spent buying coffee.  Those are the two things - coffee and TP - that he says he can't be without.  Oy........

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

23 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

My husband is the same way - I never got too excited about toilet paper until I couldn't find any this past year!  We still have a case of 40 rolls down in our basement storage closet that I purchased from Amazon in December.

He's also concerned about an impending coffee shortage, also in the news and being blamed for the shipping container shortage.  So part of my evening is going to be spent buying coffee.

Your husband and my dad would be good friends with respect to the TP issue.

Thank you for the coffee info.  I just informed someone who cannot function properly without it, as in the better part of a quarter cup of grounds into 1 mug of coffee is required first thing in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Your husband and my dad would be good friends with respect to the TP issue.

Thank you for the coffee info.  I just informed someone who cannot function properly without it, as in the better part of a quarter cup of grounds into 1 mug of coffee is required first thing in the morning.

Me too with the thank you about the coffee.  I've been drinking coffee since I was 4 (my family couldn't stop me from stealing from theirs so they gave up and let me drink all I wanted to) so I need to know where my next cup is coming from.  I just placed an order with Sam's Club for 2 100-count boxes of my favorite K-Cups. 

ETA:  And I did not respond this same way to a potential lack of toilet paper.😂  

Edited by Friday · Reason: Added sentence.
  • Laugh 5

Paper, pffft. With no paper, you can just sit there until you air-dry. But no coffee? Aiyeeeeeee!

• Laugh 6

What are your favorite coffee brands?  I had to give up my sugary instant International Coffee’s Vanilla.  Have tried a few, but nothing is wow.  I have an inexpensive coffee maker; don’t want to do Keurig due to all the plastic trash. I do have a coffee grinder.  I need to do decaf, which I am discovering is problematic.  Any suggestions appreciated!   

8 minutes ago, Thumper said:

What are your favorite coffee brands?  I had to give up my sugary instant International Coffee’s Vanilla.  Have tried a few, but nothing is wow.  I have an inexpensive coffee maker; don’t want to do Keurig due to all the plastic trash. I do have a coffee grinder.  I need to do decaf, which I am discovering is problematic.  Any suggestions appreciated!   

It's hard to recommend a coffee without knowing if you like a strong, medium or light brew.....what kind of coffee did you drink before you gave up the Vanilla instant one?  Or did you just drink that all the time?

I like a strong brew - Cafe Bustelo, Peet's Major Dickason and Ily (all three have decaf versions, and there is a medium version, too) are my go to's.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

It's hard to recommend a coffee without knowing if you like a strong, medium or light brew.....what kind of coffee did you drink before you gave up the Vanilla instant one?  Or did you just drink that all the time?

I like a strong brew - Cafe Bustelo, Peet's Major Dickason and Ily (all three have decaf versions, and there is a medium version, too) are my go to's.

What kind of coffee maker do you have?   Wondering if that makes a difference, but I am so tired of trying different ones.   I would guess I like a “medium” brew, but smooth.    I find Caribou coffee to be too strong; not sure about Starbuck’s.  (I usually order lattes at both!).   A restaurant like Perkins has “blah” coffee, but others have great, stronger coffee, not bitter, but with good flavor.  Thanks for your response!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I like a strong brew - Cafe Bustelo

Even the instant is good.

I have a Nespresso machine, which I really like.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeeDenny said:

IMG_2231.JPG

• Laugh 13

3 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

Yes, I love Nespresso!  Tried one at an Airbnb “before.”   Think we talked about this before — something about the pods being bad for those who have Alzheimer’s in the family.  Boo hoo. 😩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

What kind of coffee maker do you have?   Wondering if that makes a difference, but I am so tired of trying different ones.   I would guess I like a “medium” brew, but smooth.    I find Caribou coffee to be too strong; not sure about Starbuck’s.  (I usually order lattes at both!).   A restaurant like Perkins has “blah” coffee, but others have great, stronger coffee, not bitter, but with good flavor.  Thanks for your response!

I use a Keurig machine, but it doesn't matter.  All coffee starts with beans and is ground and formulated depending on the type of machine you're using.  Green Mountain has coffee beans - their most popular flavor is Breakfast Blend, which is a light roast.  My husband drinks Nantucket Blend by Green Mountain, which is a medium roast - he usually makes lattes for himself, so puts a lot of milk in it!  Both of the blends are available in whole bean and ground, decaf, too.....Amazon carries. 

If you like a full bodied cup of coffee, maybe try the Cafe Bustelo in decaf - as @LeeDenny said, it's available in instant.  It's also available in a 10 oz ground size.  My Target carries it, but it may not be popular in your neck of the woods.  It's the least expensive there at Target - they have free shipping at $35 spend.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've got my coffee and will sit here with you all. 

I like the Green Mountain Nantucket and Vermont, but also like instant that is a medium to dark roast. I've got to include my hazelnut and mocha creamer. During the holidays I get several seasonal flavor creamers, too.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

@Thumper - do you use Amazon at all?

They have a decaf, sugar free version of GF International Coffee in Vanilla.  I thought I had it in my pantry, but turns out I had the Swiss Mocha in sugar free/decaf.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House-International-French-Vanilla/dp/B0072V6R6Q/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=general+food+international+coffee+sugar+free&qid=1617082975&sr=8-3

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Friday said:

Me too with the thank you about the coffee.  I've been drinking coffee since I was 4 (my family couldn't stop me from stealing from theirs so they gave up and let me drink all I wanted to) so I need to know where my next cup is coming from.  I just placed an order with Sam's Club for 2 100-count boxes of my favorite K-Cups. 

ETA:  And I did not respond this same way to a potential lack of toilet paper.😂  

The mother of the person I informed about the coffee shortage quit drinking it after she saw their cat repeatedly dipping his paw into her coffee mug and licking it.  She switched to tea.

• Laugh 7

On 3/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, letusprocrastinate said:

I haven't sought out the items written about this debacle, but I have yet to read or hear the reason why this happened.  I mean hundreds of ships pass through this canal weekly, and this captain managed to f*ck it up somehow?  Anyone hear what happened?

24 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I haven't sought out the items written about this debacle, but I have yet to read or hear the reason why this happened.  I mean hundreds of ships pass through this canal weekly, and this captain managed to f*ck it up somehow?  Anyone hear what happened?

It supposedly blew off course in a sandstorm with low visibility.  Maybe there has been an update to that. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

It supposedly blew off course in a sandstorm with low visibility.  Maybe there has been an update to that. 

I dunno...maybe:

image.thumb.png.3f97d9cb51fdc6ad70d1e6d5cffda351.png

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

10 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

On Monday the person in charge of the canal authority said that the weather conditions were not the main reasons it happened, but more likely a good chunk of the blame can be placed on human or technical errors. There is a formal investigation going on, but I assume it's going to take a while.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I wouldn't think that cargo and other ships of this sort of mass would navigate by sight/visibility through a canal, but what I know about it could fill a ... well, I don't know anything about it.

• Laugh 4

1 hour ago, Friday said:

IMG_2270.JPG

The Total Gym apparently works wonders. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I wouldn't think that cargo and other ships of this sort of mass would navigate by sight/visibility through a canal, but what I know about it could fill a ... well, I don't know anything about it.

From what I've read there are shipping companies that will hire locals specifically to help navigate their ships through the Suez Canal; it's like the seafaring version of hiring local Sherpas when you're going to climb Mt. Everest.  That will probably become much more common.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

From what I've read there are shipping companies that will hire locals specifically to help navigate their ships through the Suez Canal; it's like the seafaring version of hiring local Sherpas when you're going to climb Mt. Everest.  That will probably become much more common.

have seen TV docs where the harbourmasters?? brings in a cruise ship b/c they know the intricacies of the water better than any so the above makes sense

Edited by hummingbird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

have seen TV docs where the harbourmasters?? brings in a cruise ship b/c they know the intricacies of the water better than any so the above makes sense

I read that ships that go through the canal are required to bring a local "pilot" on board to assist them in navigating through. But it also said that these pilots usually don't end up doing anything and it's the ship's captain that does all the navigating. Whatever happened, I think it had to have been more than just high winds and a dust storm that caused the ship to get stuck. Someone, or several someones, are going to be looking at huge fines. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Benji said:

I read that ships that go through the canal are required to bring a local "pilot" on board to assist them in navigating through. But it also said that these pilots usually don't end up doing anything and it's the ship's captain that does all the navigating. Whatever happened, I think it had to have been more than just high winds and a dust storm that caused the ship to get stuck. Someone, or several someones, are going to be looking at huge fines. 

The co-owners of the Ever Given, two Japanese companies (Luster Maritime and Higaki Sangyo Kaisha) just filed a lawsuit against the operator that leases the ship, Evergreen Maritime, a Chinese company. The suit was filed in a London court. The amount of damages the owners seek has not been disclosed. The owners are claiming that the ship's captain, not the Suez pilot, was responsible for grounding the ship. The defendant Evergreen says they're not responsible for any cargo delays.

There could be many additional lawsuits, such as suits from the owners of the delayed cargo (for example, IKEA had a container on the ship). The government of Egypt wants $1 billion in compensation for the six-day closure of the canal. A lot of insurance companies will be involved. It's a big legal mess that will take many $$$ to resolve. In the meantime, we consumers of foreign-made goods could see increases in prices.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

On 3/30/2021 at 1:59 AM, letusprocrastinate said:

The mother of the person I informed about the coffee shortage quit drinking it after she saw their cat repeatedly dipping his paw into her coffee mug and licking it.  She switched to tea.

I started drinking my coffee out of a travel mug at home because my cat would stick his whole face in my cup and go to town lapping it up!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

13 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

@AuntCarol Are you still on the road or at your new home?

We made it to Tn. on April 2nd. But our house is still being updated so we are staying at a Hampton Inn. I’m tired of it already. Can’t wait until the house is finished. It’s a condo actually. They are all one-story brick units. I just want to start decorating. 😀. Furniture won’t get here until the 2nd week in May. We bought the place online without seeing it in person so it was fun to get here and finally walk through it. The lady who lived there previously had all sorts of plants I like. Has a redbud tree in the front. Two magnolias in the back. Some azaleas, hydrangeas, daffodils, etc.  No roses.....yet!

• Like 10