Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

On 8/21/2021 at 10:53 PM, Thumper said:

Can we talk lobster?  I find it quite “meh.”  Remember having a good lobster roll in Maine, but liking it warm better than cold.  Still, okay.

Have since had a few lobster rolls in the upper Midwest, including tonight and while presented quite well, I did not have a real “taste” sensation.

I guess I’m just not a lobster person, especially for the price!

I'm also a midwesterner, and I feel the same.  I wouldn't walk across the street for most seafood/shellfish, though I do appreciate really good shrimp and the occasional seared scallop.  That's it.  Not lobstuh, not crab, not clams, and don't come near me with oysters, or mussels or...

I'm a cheap date.

• Laugh 3

Even though I've somewhat expected this - not so soon, though - since he pulled out of the No Filter tour three weeks ago, it still makes me so sad.  I guess I thought The Rolling Stones would just go on forever!

Charlie Watts, RIP. 

image.png.72af7d9e24454e7dac37d27236ac8a0d.png

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 1
  • Sad 9

3 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Even though I've somewhat expected this - not so soon, though - since he pulled out of the No Filter tour three weeks ago, it still makes me so sad.  I guess I thought The Rolling Stones would just go on forever!

Charlie Watts, RIP. 

image.png.72af7d9e24454e7dac37d27236ac8a0d.png

Aww, RIP Charlie. I was privileged to see the Stones in concert twice in the 90s - the Steel Wheels tour and the Bridges to Babylon tour. They were two of the best rock concerts I’ve ever experienced. Charlie was always the quiet, steady presence on stage - and an amazing drummer. He’ll be missed.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Booney said:

Aww, RIP Charlie. I was privileged to see the Stones in concert twice in the 90s - the Steel Wheels tour and the Bridges to Babylon tour. They were two of the best rock concerts I’ve ever experienced. Charlie was always the quiet, steady presence on stage - and an amazing drummer. He’ll be missed.

When I was a teen you were either Beatles or Stones, I was Stones all the way. RIP Charlie. 🌺

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Lady J said:

When I was a teen you were either Beatles or Stones, I was Stones all the way. RIP Charlie. 🌺

I was neither, though I've certainly tapped my toe to songs from both.

• Like 1

I was ( and am still ) most definitely team Beatles, but I still appreciated the Stones....and I think I echo the sentiment that I just always thought they would live on and on. So sad.

• Like 2

Two days in a row now, my husband has walked into the house after work with his phone loudly playing the Stones. He’s just relishing their sound and paying his respects to C. Watts. He’s smiling from ear to ear and enjoying the moment, despite the day’s work and the heat and a recurrent family problem and the rest of the world’s goings on.  I just shook my head and chuckled.   It was a sweet thing to witness.

RIP  C. Watts

Edited by From Where I Sit
  • Like 12

For any of you who are, or have loved ones who are, in Hurricane Ida's path, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers today. This may well be the worst hurricane the region has seen in 170 years.

This was posted today at around 9 this morning, from the meteorologists at the National Weather Service office in Slidell, LA.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 5

Inappropriate comic relief.

cleric joke.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@AuntCarol, I can't recall what part of the state you moved to, but I know Tennessee has had some devastating flooding, and the near future looks pretty wet.  Thinking about you, and hoping you're high and dry.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 6

Since some of share a lot about cats here, I thought this was beautiful.  Apparently, Ed Asner was a big cat lover, as there have been numerous pictures of him on Twitter, at least, with his cats.  This one really touched me and is an all too familiar scene in my house!

• Like 11

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Inappropriate comic relief.

cleric joke.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@AuntCarol, I can't recall what part of the state you moved to, but I know Tennessee has had some devastating flooding, and the near future looks pretty wet.  Thinking about you, and hoping you're high and dry.

Thank you SUPRSUPRELEVATED. The flooding last week was about 2 hrs. NW of us. The forecast so far is for 3-4 inches of rain Tuesday. Coming from California, I’ve never seen that much rain at once. We get maybe12-15” a year. In a good year.  I will keep in touch. 

• Like 8

15 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Thank you SUPRSUPRELEVATED. The flooding last week was about 2 hrs. NW of us. The forecast so far is for 3-4 inches of rain Tuesday. Coming from California, I’ve never seen that much rain at once. We get maybe12-15” a year. In a good year.  I will keep in touch. 

Just stay at home and watch it.  Your cell phone is probably going to be going nuts with "stay off the roads" alerts.  If you don't have a supply of bottled water and can't get any before the rain starts, fill some pitchers and pots with tap water, or even a large cooler if you have one and you've given it a good cleaning.  I'll even clean used 20-oz pop bottles, fill them about 3/4 full with tap water, and put them in the freezer (don't screw the cap on fully tight).  Helps keep things cold in the freezer if the power goes out and I've got water to drink too (if you've got room in the freezer you can even use 1 or 2 liter bottles, which will stay frozen longer if you have to shift one or two to the fridge portion to keep it colder longer).

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 1
  • Useful 6

I know how I feel today and I could use the diversion......this is pretty fascinating to watch and listen to!  I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time, so I'm pretty sure I could never accomplish this!

Another song Abba did that never made it to an album but will be redone and put on the new album to be released  November 5th.

Edited by One4Sorrow2TooBad
  • Like 1

My friend keeps texting me pictures of really random food she has bought from Costco. I finally caved and got a membership.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

35 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

My friend keeps texting me pictures of really random food she has bought from Costco. I finally caved and got a membership.

Yep!  That will do it. Same here. 😁

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

16 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I saw one woman with her hand over her heart. Didn’t see anyone remove their caps or hats. It wasn’t the National Anthem but I think people should show a little respect. Guess I’m just old. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I saw one woman with her hand over her heart. Didn’t see anyone remove their caps or hats. It wasn’t the National Anthem but I think people should show a little respect. Guess I’m just old. 

Not old, just of an era where these things were taught, practiced, and appreciated.

Balance of statement deleted in the interest of TOS.

• Like 3

From time to time, I post some of these ads that follow me around the web.  I usually notice them when I'm on this site.  Just now, I looked down and saw this - the shirt on the left, in particular. 

I know the web follows you, sees what you like to look at.  They know I love cats, apparently.  But the other one?  

What are they trying to tell me? 

image.png.c63241493a6f972cedce19dae6c12fd9.png

• Laugh 8

54 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

From time to time, I post some of these ads that follow me around the web.  I usually notice them when I'm on this site.  Just now, I looked down and saw this - the shirt on the left, in particular. 

I know the web follows you, sees what you like to look at.  They know I love cats, apparently.  But the other one?  

What are they trying to tell me? 

image.png.c63241493a6f972cedce19dae6c12fd9.png

See the kitty on the broom?

• Laugh 3