Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

51 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Imagine what is like where my family lives in Canada.

I hope they are safe from the path of the fires. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

I hope they are safe from the path of the fires. 

They are, but the visibility is less than a mile.  The smoke really has an impact on my mom so she has to stay indoors with the windows closed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

On 8/1/2021 at 12:10 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

They are, but the visibility is less than a mile.  The smoke really has an impact on my mom so she has to stay indoors with the windows closed.

I know how she feels. That’s the way it was in the San Joaquin Valley when we lived in CA.  The smoke would just settle in the valley and practically suffocate us. 

• Sad 4

Have you all heard about the guy who was being violent on a Frontier Airlines flight, so the crew duct taped him to the seat?  Google it...it happened and was reported today.

I saw this and it made me laugh hysterically!

• Laugh 5

Here's the incident I referenced above.

I know the guy was an a-hole but despite his actions, duct taping him to the seat really was not a safe way to handle the situation (what if the plane had a malfunction and the passengers had to jump ship?).  I'm in total agreement with the crew being reprimanded and suspended.

Still.......how often have you been near a drunk and disorderly passenger on a flight and wondered how to make him shut  up?

• Surprise 3

ITA the guy is an a-hole. The airlines probably has policies and procedures in what to do when this situation comes up. I'd think the crew would be more prepared. Taping him to the seat is definitely funny, as probably most of us wish that would happen to the loud, rude, unruly passengers ruining it for the rest of us. But yeah, that could have turned into a really bad situation if there had been an emergency. 

Do flights not have air marshals anymore? 

• Like 2

I don't know if air marshals are still up in the sky, at least with the frequency as they were after 9/11.  One of my neighbors is a Federal Marshall...I'll ask him, but then he'll probably have to kill me after he tells me!

I saw someone on one of the news shows last night, someone who used to be with the union that flight attendants and crew belong to (I think she was a past president of the union?) and she definitely said there are safer ways to handle unruly customers.  They aren't even allowed to use zip ties.  That said, she said she is hearing so many stories about flights like this, where passengers are being physically violent with the crew and with other passengers....her feeling was that crews are at their breaking point - which isn't to excuse how they handled it, but it's saying that something more needs to be done here.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

ITA the guy is an a-hole. The airlines probably has policies and procedures in what to do when this situation comes up. I'd think the crew would be more prepared. Taping him to the seat is definitely funny, as probably most of us wish that would happen to the loud, rude, unruly passengers ruining it for the rest of us. But yeah, that could have turned into a really bad situation if there had been an emergency. 

Do flights not have air marshals anymore?

Even before Covid quite a few flights did not have air marshals just as a matter of staffing.  However, there are certain other law enforcement personnel who when off-duty are permitted to conceal-carry on domestic flights if they wish, provided the flight crew is OK with it.  If not, the gun has to get put in checked baggage and the crew will know where the person is sitting just in case they could be useful because of the other training those LEOs have.  The crews themselves also look and take note of whom in the Average Passenger group might be useful to call upon if someone goes berserk.

Not long ago there was another flight, different airline, in which a woman got duct taped.

I agree with @lovemesomejoolery that flying is not a fun experience for anyone right now, especially the crews.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

I have no sympathy for the guy. He sexually assaulted flight attendants by grabbing their breast. I'm sure the crew did what they felt was in the best interest of the entire flight and didn't take those actions lightly. YMMV

• Like 9

After initially suspended the flight attendants for duct-taping the unruly passenger, Frontier Airlines has reversed their decision -

In a reversal, Frontier Airlines said it would not be disciplining the crew of flight attendants who duct-taped a passenger on a weekend flight after initially suspending the crew.

"Frontier Airlines maintains the utmost value, respect, concern and support for all of our flight attendants, including those who were assaulted on this flight," spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said in a Wednesday statement. "We are supporting the needs of these team members and are working with law enforcement to fully support the prosecution of the passenger involved."

The reversal comes after the airline said the attendants would be "relieved of flying"—a decision that drew sharp criticisms from the union representing Frontier's flight attendants.”

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Booney said:

After initially suspended the flight attendants for duct-taping the unruly passenger, Frontier Airlines has reversed their decision -

In a reversal, Frontier Airlines said it would not be disciplining the crew of flight attendants who duct-taped a passenger on a weekend flight after initially suspending the crew.

"Frontier Airlines maintains the utmost value, respect, concern and support for all of our flight attendants, including those who were assaulted on this flight," spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said in a Wednesday statement. "We are supporting the needs of these team members and are working with law enforcement to fully support the prosecution of the passenger involved."

The reversal comes after the airline said the attendants would be "relieved of flying"—a decision that drew sharp criticisms from the union representing Frontier's flight attendants.”

Good.

• Like 7