Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

46 minutes ago, artisto said:

This from:  NestWatch - Cornell Lab of Ornithology...

Hi Marsha, this is a separate illness affecting different species than those affected by eye disease. No one knows what is causing it yet, so our best advice is to follow local wildlife authorities guidelines - if they recommend temporarily taking feeders down in your area, then that's the best course of action. Some people have seen that the reports of these birds have overlapped with the range of the cicada emergence this year and think it could be pesticide related, but there's no known link there yet that we're aware of, just the correlation. Again, since we don't know what's causing it, keep cleaning your feeder regularly and take the feeder down if you are asked to do so. I hope this helps.

I guess that since this is so new...that everyone is scrambling for an answer/remedy..

Lord willing, an answer is found quickly....

• Like 7

Here's a tip about ground dwelling stinging creatures (they are most likely wasps).....

Do not pour water down the hole leading to their underground nest...

They don't like it..

Ask me how I know..

Edited by artisto
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 2

Huh.  Just went through 20+ earthquakes in Northern California.  Really felt one of them!   The largest one was a 5.9 in Nevada, and likely the one I felt.  For me, this one felt stronger than the 1989 Loma Pieta quake.

Edited by Friday · Reason: changed Lona to Loma
  • Surprise 10

24 minutes ago, Friday said:

Huh.  Just went through 20+ earthquakes in Northern California.  Really felt one of them!   The largest one was a 5.9 in Nevada, and likely the one I felt.  For me, this one felt stronger than the 1989 Lona Pieta quake.

@Fridayisn't joking:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

(And they're still going.)

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 4

@artisto - thanks for your diligence, and your willingness to share your acquired info!

I will do the same, and then we can all be equally confuzzled, lol.

Thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow @Friday!  Sounds frightening.  Glad you're okay.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 5

psa - 

docket/illinois

"If you are not aware, these are some of the OGX shampoos that Johnson & Johnson is being sued over. They have a chemical called DMDM hydantoin, which is a base component in formaldehyde. It can cause scalp irritation and hair loss as well as being a known carcinogen.

*Here are the shampoos and conditioners and to clarify what DMDM hydantoin does. It is a preservative known to slowly leach formaldehyde when it comes into contact with water"

Products listed in the lawsuit:

OGX Biotin + Collagen Shampoo

OGX Biotin + Collagen Conditioner

OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo

OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner

OGX Anti-Breakage and Keratin Oil Shampoo

OGX Anti-Breakage and Keratin Oil Conditioner

OGX Detox + Pomegranate & Ginger Shampoo

OGX Detox + Pomegranate & Ginger Conditioner

OGX Marula Oil Conditioner

OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Shampoo

OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Conditioner

OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Shampoo

OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Conditioner

OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Shampoo

OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Conditioner

OGX Extra Strength Hydrate & Repair and Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo

OGX Extra Strength Hydrate & Repair and Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner

OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo

OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner

OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Shampoo

OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Conditioner

OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Shampoo

OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Conditioner

OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Shampoo

OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Conditioner

OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo

OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Conditioner

OGX Hydrate + Defrizz and Kukui Oil Conditioner

OGX Youth Enhancing + Sake Essence Conditioner

shampoo.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 7

37 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

@artisto - thanks for your diligence, and your willingness to share your acquired info!

I will do the same, and then we can all be equally confuzzled, lol.

Thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow @Friday!  Sounds frightening.  Glad you're okay.

It's to be expected around here, and most of the time I don't feel them.  But this one there was no question that it was an earthquake.  I was sitting on my couch and actually experienced it in my butt. 😂  And then I fixed myself a drink.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

31 minutes ago, Friday said:

It's to be expected around here, and most of the time I don't feel them.  But this one there was no question that it was an earthquake.  I was sitting on my couch and actually experienced it in my butt. 😂  And then I fixed myself a drink.

Amongst all the others, there have been a 4.5 and a 4.6 in the same vicinity after the 6.0.  Did you feel those two?  Or did you make the drink strong enough to be a backside numbing agent?

• Laugh 5

18 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Amongst all the others, there have been a 4.5 and a 4.6 in the same vicinity after the 6.0.  Did you feel those two?  Or did you make the drink strong enough to be a backside numbing agent?

I only felt one.  Apparently my numbing agent did its job😂

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Friday said:

Huh.  Just went through 20+ earthquakes in Northern California.  Really felt one of them!   The largest one was a 5.9 in Nevada, and likely the one I felt.  For me, this one felt stronger than the 1989 Loma Pieta quake.

Oh, wow! Just wow. Hope you’re okay. 

• Like 2

Any New Yorkers here?  Son’s friend just sent him a video of the subways flooding from heavy rains!

Edit:  not from a friend.  Saw it on Twitter, so who knows. 
Edit2:  just saw it on the news!

Edited by Thumper
  • Surprise 6

1 minute ago, From Where I Sit said:

Oh, wow! Just wow. Hope you’re okay. 

All is well!  We usually don't feel them that strongly where I am, so it was kind of shocking when it happened.  My usual response would be, Was that an earthquake?  Today it was Oh shit that was an earthquake.  

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Friday said:

Shit.  I leave CA. and the excitement starts!  A friend emailed me and said they really felt it in Merced. Glad everyone is ok. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

psa - 

docket/illinois

"If you are not aware, these are some of the OGX shampoos that Johnson & Johnson is being sued over. They have a chemical called DMDM hydantoin, which is a base component in formaldehyde. It can cause scalp irritation and hair loss as well as being a known carcinogen.

*Here are the shampoos and conditioners and to clarify what DMDM hydantoin does. It is a preservative known to slowly leach formaldehyde when it comes into contact with water"

shampoo.jpg

Shit!  I’ve been losing hair like crazy for about 3 mos.  I’m using the purple one and a conditioner like the turquoise bottle. I loved it but I will stop it and see if my hair loss stops. Is nothing ever easy?

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Shit.  I leave CA. and the excitement starts!  A friend emailed me and said they really felt it in Merced. Glad everyone is ok. 

Aunt Carol, today you are missing 106 degree weather, to be followed tomorrow with 111 and then 106 again on Sunday.  Returning to 90s for the rest of the week.  I hope the weather where you are now is a little less harsh!

• Like 1
  • Surprise 3

43 minutes ago, Friday said:

Aunt Carol, today you are missing 106 degree weather, to be followed tomorrow with 111 and then 106 again on Sunday.  Returning to 90s for the rest of the week.  I hope the weather where you are now is a little less harsh!

Bwahaaaaahhaaa!

--Humidity

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I was visiting my brother in Turlock, and it was very strong and shook for about 10 seconds.  I just moved from Stockton to within 30 miles of the Smith Valley quake area in NV.  From one quake area to another!  Being so close, I expected some things to be moved in my home, but when I came back this morning, everything was fine. Not even a crooked picture on the walls.  I did pack a Go Bag for my cats today, and made sure mine was ready.  Just in case........

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

22 hours ago, artisto said:

@AuntCarol

This from NIH about hair regrowth:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

edited to add:  If you do decide to use peppermint oil...

organic would be the way to go....

Wow, thanks ARTISTO. Those mice really grew some hair! 😃. If I could get half their results I’d be thrilled. Appreciate the info. about the shampoos and the peppermint. What pisses me off is I really liked that Biotin shampoo and conditioner with the Argon oil. It really made my hair feel great. What was left of it. 😳

10 hours ago, Friday said:

Ah yes, I remember those 113 degree days. But it’s a dry heat. Yeah, but it still hotter than fuck 😉. Not bad here. In the high 80’s with humidity. But not bad. Nothing like Cancun so I’m happy. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was visiting my brother in Turlock, and it was very strong and shook for about 10 seconds.  I just moved from Stockton to within 30 miles of the Smith Valley quake area in NV.  From one quake area to another!  Being so close, I expected some things to be moved in my home, but when I came back this morning, everything was fine. Not even a crooked picture on the walls.  I did pack a Go Bag for my cats today, and made sure mine was ready.  Just in case........

Yay Turlock!  Nice town. 20 miles or so from where I lived. Glad to be out of Stockton?

2 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Wow, thanks ARTISTO.

You are welcome...

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:10 PM, Thumper said:

Any New Yorkers here?  Son’s friend just sent him a video of the subways flooding from heavy rains!

Edit:  not from a friend.  Saw it on Twitter, so who knows. 
Edit2:  just saw it on the news!

NYer here but suburbs of NYC. I saw the footage on Twitter and the news too. Stuff like this is the reason why I avoided the subway (unless I was crunched for time) and took the bus. The germaphobe in me was screaming internally watching people wade through that near waist high muck! I couldn't do it! Why would anyone do it?! Nothing could be that important. Now if you are trapped and water is surrounding you every which way, then I guess you have no choice. But I saw people going down the steps, saw the water ahead, and still walked through it! 🤢🤮

• Like 1
  • Surprise 5

On 7/9/2021 at 4:12 AM, AuntCarol said:

Shit!  I’ve been losing hair like crazy for about 3 mos.  I’m using the purple one and a conditioner like the turquoise bottle. I loved it but I will stop it and see if my hair loss stops. Is nothing ever easy?

Sorry to hear about this and I hope it does reverse! There is an oil that has rave reviews called 10 in 1 Hair Growth Oil. If you Google it you'll find the website. I tried it for almost a year and I can say it def makes the hair I do have grow super fast (not so great if you color treat your hair), and maybe it slowed down my shedding, but I can't say I've noticed any crazy amount of regrowth, so YMMV. I also read that dermarolling the scalp once or twice a month can help with regrowth. I tried that (not consistently) but I think it does work for me because when I do it, I see little baby hairs in the areas I rolled. It's just hard for me to remember to do it twice a month. Also, I'm not talking about one of those overpriced rollers that Jamie Whatshername from Beauty Bioscience sells. A cheap one from Burlington, Marshall's, or TJMaxx will do.

ETA: It's important for me to add that if you dermaroll, roll in two directions and only 3-4 rolls in each area. If you roll too much, it will irritate the skin and cause dry scalp. I learned that the hard way.

Edited by PopItInUrWasher · Reason: Needed to add a lil warning about dermarolling
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

On 7/8/2021 at 9:28 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

psa - 

docket/illinois

shampoo.jpg

Hair products all build up on your scalp, so this is a double whammy. Get a clarifying shampoo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaking My Head said:

Hair products all build up on your scalp, so this is a double whammy. Get a clarifying shampoo.

Unless you color your hair, as it will strip it out prematurely. 

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

POPITINURWASHER, Shaking My Head, and SUPRSUPRELEVATED……..thank you for all the hair advice. I do appreciate it. I do have my hair highlighted. Wonder if the clarifying shampoo would bother that?

5 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

POPITINURWASHER, Shaking My Head, and SUPRSUPRELEVATED……..thank you for all the hair advice. I do appreciate it. I do have my hair highlighted. Wonder if the clarifying shampoo would bother that?

If they put toner over your highlights, clarifying shampoo isn’t a good choice. I learned that by experience 🙁

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

17 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I have highlights, and my stylist says to only use the clarifying shampoo once a week.  No problems for me.

Edit:  I use Bumble n Bumble “Sunday Shampoo.”

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I would ask your stylist, but as a general rule, clarifying products by nature, will clear the scalp and hair of all things, color included.  You would probably be okay if you used it occasionally for it's intended purpose, but I wouldn't use it every time.  Again, check with your stylist.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 minutes ago, RubberbandGirl said:

It's about time - this one was overdue, in my opinion.  Benzene was discovered in testing around Memorial Day and should have been recalled asap.

Also included in the testing done back in May that tested positive for Benzene are products by Banana Boat and some CVS branded sunscreens.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

I like cereal for dinner. I don't feel uncomfortably full from it.

• Like 2

We survived Covid, we survived murder hornets, we (some of us) survived cicadas.....now we have to worry about monkeypox!

• Surprise 7

Seems like we should be wearing face coverings all the time. Sigh. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

Seems like we should be wearing face coverings all the time. Sigh. 

Well, look on the bright side. Strange men won't walk up to us and demand "Why don't you SMILE?"

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Speaking of cicadas....we have them now!!!  For the past few days.  I thought they were a bunch of frogs or something but I ask someone who knew and yep, cicadas.  Boy, are they loud.  Haven't seen any yet.  Probably just as well.  Wow, this move has been educational.  I've seen lightning bugs, heard cicadas, seen a cardinal or 2 and seen lots of rain.  What's next?  Oh, I've seen a couple of BIG spiders too.  Not my favorite by a long shot.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Speaking of cicadas....we have them now!!!  For the past few days.  I thought they were a bunch of frogs or something but I ask someone who knew and yep, cicadas.  Boy, are they loud.  Haven't seen any yet.  Probably just as well.  Wow, this move has been educational.  I've seen lightning bugs, heard cicadas, seen a cardinal or 2 and seen lots of rain.  What's next?  Oh, I've seen a couple of BIG spiders too.  Not my favorite by a long shot.  

On the upside, you'll have a beautiful fall, lots of bright leaf colors.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

They're the annual cicadas, and generally heard but not seen.  Brood X was the guy who shows you a good time for a few weeks and then dumps you, but the annuals are Mr. Dependable, here for you summer after summer.

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1