Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

On 6/29/2021 at 11:46 AM, KLovestoShop said:

Hi Everyone.  First chance I’ve had to post. Had surgery on Monday and went to rehab last night.  Not looking forward to this part. They suspect I’ll be in rehab for 12 weeks. The big issue is that the center is nearly 2 hours from where I live. And I’m allowed 1 visitor three times a week for 30 minutes.  It’s awful.  

Thank you for asking. 

@KLovestoShop We are anxiously anticipating your quick recovery.

200.gif

Thank you to everyone for your input on televisions! I appreciate it!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

I'm pretty sure if someone decided to manufacture flat-screen "dumb" televisions there would be a market for them.

Edited by letusprocrastinate · Reason: Not everyone wants or needs all the bells and whistles
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I'm pretty sure if someone decided to manufacture flat-screen "dumb" televisions there would be a market for them.

Oh, the days when you could take a new tv out of the box, plug it in, connect the cable, and it would work. Not so anymore.

Some of the reviews I've read about NEW televisions are:

• the tv is slow, freezes and reboots randomly
  • the screen is cracked or broken on arrival
  • the screen has black horizontal bands going across the screen
  • can't connect to wifi or is a hassle to try and get it to connect to wifi after multiple phone calls to customer service
  • people being scammed to pay more money for their tv to connect to the Roku apps, or Fire apps.
  • tv stops working after 2 weeks, 30 days, 45 days.
  • audio stops working
  • some televisions show separate audio bars you have to buy with the tv. Doesn't it come with audio?
  • the television doesn't have enough memory to watch a movie b/c the preloaded apps take up all the storage space
  • no number buttons on the remote so you either HAVE TO go through all the channel apps OR you have to sync your phone to your tv and use your phone to change channels. (I'm not doing that just to watch the effin' tv)
  • some require you to register all of your information with the company (which they may or may not sell) before it lets you watch anything.
  • new televisions rely too much on technology which tends to break down easily

Reading negative reviews has been an eye-opener, and overwhelming. I've looked into buying a new tv for almost 2 years but these reviews make me stop looking and put it off. Even some of the 5 star reviews say things like "Great picture, great audio, after we called customer service and figured out how to connect it and make it receive wifi, We put it in the garage so it's not our main tv." 

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

@TexasTiffany (love your new avi) The new tvs are so thin that they can't fit good speakers in them. That's why you end up buying speakers or a sound bar. I suppose some manufacturers save the expense and leave out the internal crappy speakers. I bought the Roku speakers to go with my TCL tv. The instructions came up on the tv and I just followed step by step to pair them.

• Useful 2

I was trying to record on our tv. It’s not that smart but all the crap we got from ATT for WiFi and tv is too smart for me. I fiddled with it for what seemed like hours and hubby asked what I was trying to do. I told him I have decided to just read and forget all the electronic stuff. Just open my book and read. No calling customer service and speaking to them for hours on end. Just read quietly to myself. 😊

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

So my husband, son and I went to dinner at the Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle, TN. OMG it was so good. Just like my Mama used to make me for my birthday dinners. Fried chicken, fried okra, fried corn, navy beans cooked with ham and cucumbers and tomatoes in oil & vinegar.  And sweet tea. And since it was my birthday I had peach cobbler for dessert. I told hubby I wish I had another stomach so I could eat more!  What a piggy. 😋. Delish. And then I rolled home. BIG 72!!  Can’t believe it. Still feel 30 inside. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

@TexasTiffany (love your new avi)

LOL, I'm going to make a patriotic dessert for the 4th to go along with hamburgers and hot dogs. Found some scrumptious looking desserts online and had to pick one for here.

I really do appreciate everyone's input. I wanted to try one of the streaming sites, hence looking for a new tv. 

2 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

So my husband, son and I went to dinner at the Bell Buckle Cafe in Bell Buckle, TN. OMG it was so good. Just like my Mama used to make me for my birthday dinners. Fried chicken, fried okra, fried corn, navy beans cooked with ham and cucumbers and tomatoes in oil & vinegar.  And sweet tea. And since it was my birthday I had peach cobbler for dessert. I told hubby I wish I had another stomach so I could eat more!  What a piggy. 😋. Delish. And then I rolled home. BIG 72!!  Can’t believe it. Still feel 30 inside. 

What a fine birthday dinner! You picked all the best things, plus peach cobbler! I'm glad you are having a fun time in your new home!

Birthday.jpg?fit=650,327&ssl=1

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, From Where I Sit said:

Happy Birthday to you, @AuntCarol!!!

I’m so happy to hear about your dinner.🤗

Thank you for your kind wishes. Ah yes, the dinner. I’m still full! 😉

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

41 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I really do appreciate everyone's input. I wanted to try one of the streaming sites, hence looking for a new tv. 

If your current TV is ok a streaming device would be less expensive. I have a couple stand alone Fire TV boxes that are quite a few years old that are still working. I frequent a deal site called Slickdeals which allowed me to be able to catch a deal for a 39-Inch Insignia HD Fire TV for about $119 at Best Buy in 2019. I had a 32-inch TV that I was growing frustrated with because it was getting tough to read the closed captioning from my bed. 

I saw that it had mixed reviews but for that price I purchased it anyway and it's still ok without any issues. They've been having good prices on their Insignia HD dumb TVs too as of late.  I've gotten chased away from purchasing things due to getting overwhelmed with reviews for the different brands, models and etc. before too though. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

LOL, I'm going to make a patriotic dessert for the 4th to go along with hamburgers and hot dogs. Found some scrumptious looking desserts online and had to pick one for here.

I really do appreciate everyone's input. I wanted to try one of the streaming sites, hence looking for a new tv. 

What a fine birthday dinner! You picked all the best things, plus peach cobbler! I'm glad you are having a fun time in your new home!

Birthday.jpg?fit=650,327&ssl=1

Thank you for your birthday wishes TT.  The dinner was delish.  The peach cobbler too. We are having a good time in our new home. I’m so happy it’s turning out well. 

• Like 6

Happy Birthday, Aunt Carol! Your first birthday in your new home and your new state.

Happy BIrthday lights in sky.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Happy Birthday!  Your dinner sounds fabulous!

• Like 4

On 6/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, TexasTiffany said:

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

We are currently watching a 55" that we purchased for my mom about 4 years ago.  She probably had it on 6-8 hours per day for maybe 2.5 yrs., then it sat unused for maybe 6 months.  When our LG took a crap (I would stay away from that brand), we fired Mom's up, and it has been running (nearly 24/7) since then, so for about a year.

It's a Hisense brand (no, I hadn't heard of it either), has the Roku app stuff built it, so that you don't need a separate set-top box for the Roku.  It makes it easier to set up the streaming services, but not as easy for plain ol' internet mirroring (or whatever that's called, but I could be just underinformed  about how to do it 😁).  Anyhooo, it's been quite reliable so far, good picture, etc.  

Last I saw, you could purchase a 55" or 60" like this at Walmart for $400 or less.   Ours is a 4K UltraHD I believe, and I know there are more recent upgrades to the resolution since then.

Note:  One downside is that if you use a cable system tv remote, you will have to continue to use that for certain functions (channel changing, etc.,) while using the Hisense remote for on/off and streaming functions.  Not a huge pain, and the Hisense remote tiny - about 1/2 the size of traditional television remotes.

Edit - QVC is selling the Hisense brand also. Here is a 55" with some nomenclature that I don't understand, lol. 

Hisense-55"-Class-R6G-Series-4K-UHD-Roku-TV

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 3

13 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

I have a feeling this b'day dinner was not a hardship for the guys in your life.

971784794_imported_happybirthday4.gif.d1d107d7662f23cc4d6d5420b188fb50.gif

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

@AuntCarol  Happiest of Birthdays to you. First birthday in your new home. I’m glad it was so enjoyable. 

• Like 5

@AuntCarol Happy Birthday to you and best wishes for a good year ahead. Dinner sounds great though next time get the cobbler with ice cream! Nothing better than good Southern cooking. Sounds like you are enjoying Tennessee. 

• Like 6

Never mind 

Edited by AuntCarol · Reason: Duplicate

On 7/1/2021 at 2:04 AM, Coffeecup said:

Happy Birthday, Aunt Carol! Your first birthday in your new home and your new state.

Happy BIrthday lights in sky.jpg

Thank you COFFEECUP!  So far so good!

On 7/1/2021 at 4:54 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Happy Birthday!  Your dinner sounds fabulous!

Thank you LOVEMESOMEJOOLERY!  It was great!

On 7/1/2021 at 2:07 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

I have a feeling this b'day dinner was not a hardship for the guys in your life.

971784794_imported_happybirthday4.gif.d1d107d7662f23cc4d6d5420b188fb50.gif

Thank you LETUSPROCRASTINATE!  Yeah, no complaints from the peanut gallery.  

• Like 5

On 7/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, LeeDenny said:

@AuntCarol  Happiest of Birthdays to you. First birthday in your new home. I’m glad it was so enjoyable. 

Thank you LEEDENNY!  It was great. I’m happy. 

On 7/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, kittygirl said:

@AuntCarol Happy Birthday to you and best wishes for a good year ahead. Dinner sounds great though next time get the cobbler with ice cream! Nothing better than good Southern cooking. Sounds like you are enjoying Tennessee. 

Thank you KITTYGIRL!  My husband got pecan pie with ice cream. I’m more of a purist. I like my ice cream separate from pie or whatever. I was just too full to add ice cream. 😉

• Like 5

On 7/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Happy birthday @AuntCarol! Hope it's been great.

Thank you SUPRSUPRELEVATED!  It was great. Wish you had all been with me!

On 7/1/2021 at 4:52 PM, Booney said:

Happy Birthday, @AuntCarol! Your birthday dinner sounds awesome!

Thank you BOONEY!  It was so good. I had heard that their food was good but it exceeded all my expectations. It really was food like my Mama cooked. 

• Like 6

On 7/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

Whew...where does the time go?

Debbie Harry's birthday is today....she's 76 years old.

image.png.4b1e3c1532ce33c81cf6982005f89f4b.png

image.png.dd002b949363cbe31f4a8958558400ed.png

If I may say so, at 72 I’m finally better looking than Debbie Harry. 😁

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

18 hours ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

Happy Birthday @AuntCarol!!

And, so happy to hear from @KLovestoShop..(Hang in there-- we are here for you - and time will go by and you will be better than ever).  

Thank you POLLIWOLLIDOODLE!

• Like 1

Are any of you dealing with this?  It's heartbreaking.  So far, no word on what is causing the problem.  I've had to remove all my feeders, and tip the birdbaths so they won't congregate and spread whateverthehell illness is causing this.  So sad.

indiana/songbird-deaths

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 4

F77683B5-F177-48CF-B519-1FE0C480F950.gif.82574c8022526294eb7a4c0afb336e86.gif

May your 4th be low humidity and mosquito-free. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Are any of you dealing with this?  It's heartbreaking.  So far, no word on what is causing the problem.  I've had to remove all my feeders, and tip the birdbaths so they won't congregate and spread whateverthehell illness is causing this.  So sad.

indiana/songbird-deaths

That makes me want to cry. How awful. I love the little birds. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

"Reports of the unknown illness appear to have started in Washington D.C. in mid-May. It’s now being investigated there and in at least eight mid-Atlantic and central states, including Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia."

why-are-songbirds-dropping-dead-in-maryland-delaware-and-west-virginia

I'm starting to see on Nextdoor reports of dead birds.

• Sad 3

Upon finding a cloth bag with an assload of cash in it - 

• Me:  Ooh, I'll build a house and give 1/2 an assload to charity
  • Neighbors:  FIREWORKS!!

Signed,

Karen

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

I just looked for organic bird seed.....this came up on Amazon:

https://www.prairiemelodybirdseed.com/

I'm going to guess that there are other companies with organic seed as well....

Since the pesticide(d) bird seed was a wake-up...

looks like I will buy it for the birds and their squirrel buddies...

I try not to feed them in the summer....let them live their lives...

In the winter...when an ice and/or snow storm arrives......that's when I like

to use the seed and unsalted p-nuts in shells.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, artisto said:

I just looked for organic bird seed.....this came up on Amazon:

https://www.prairiemelodybirdseed.com/

I'm going to guess that there are other companies with organic seed as well....

Since the pesticide(d) bird seed was a wake-up...

looks like I will buy it for the birds and their squirrel buddies...

I try not to feed them in the summer....let them live their lives...

In the winter...when an ice and/or snow storm arrives......that's when I like

to use the seed and unsalted p-nuts in shells.

I've always fed year-round, though I know others don't.  I understand.  Unfortunately, at the prices listed for the organic seed, I will have to opt out altogether.  Guess my bird feeding days are over, and that makes me sadder than it should perhaps.

• Sad 2

I may look into making my own blend somehow.  There may be things I can feed that aren't necessarily millet-based.  Oats, corn, etc.

I have a project.

• Like 3

Until they know what is happening with the birds, they are begging communities to stop feeding them - my area as well.  We have stopped feeding and have turned our birdbaths upside down after cleaning them with bleach solution.  Transmission likely happens as birds congregate at birdbaths and feeders. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Until they know what is happening with the birds, they are begging communities to stop feeding them - my area as well.  We have stopped feeding and have turned our birdbaths upside down after cleaning them with bleach solution.  Transmission likely happens as birds congregate at birdbaths and feeders. 

Yeah, my original post - 

I PM'd the Cornell Lab of Ornithology from their FB page:

NestWatch - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Here is their reply:

This 2019 study is specifically referring to neonicotinoid pesticides being sprayed on seeds used for crops, which the birds then eat along their migration. This is not referring to birdseed that people put out in their feeders, and it cannot be spread from bird to bird. The "spread" would be caused by more farmers using such pesticides in their crops which birds use to refuel. There's no reason to take down feeders or bird baths. We are not aware of any studies which show commercial birdseed itself is harmful to birds - in fact, bird species that eat at feeders tend to be doing better overall than bird species that do not eat at backyard feeders, so clearly there is some benefit. In any case, you can continue feeding birds as normal. We recommend avoiding use of any pesticides or herbicides in wildlife-friendly yards, and also recommend cleaning your feeders regularly - every 1-2 weeks if possible - to help prevent the spread of contagious diseases. We do recommend taking feeders down for a week or so if you do see sick birds at your feeders (more info here: https://feederwatch.org/learn/sick-birds-and-bird-diseases/) This all said, if you would rather not feed birds, using native seed-bearing and/or berry-producing plants in your garden (as opposed to introduced or non-native ornamental species) can be a great substitute. These can provide seeds and berries that the birds might otherwise find naturally, and can also foster healthy native insect populations, which birds need for the nesting season (they feed their young insects almost exclusively). You can learn more in this free webinar: https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/live-event/gardening-for-birds/ I hope this is helpful!

• Like 3
  • Useful 7

4 hours ago, artisto said:

I PM'd the Cornell Lab of Ornithology from their FB page:

NestWatch - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Here is their reply:

This 2019 study is specifically referring to neonicotinoid pesticides being sprayed on seeds used for crops, which the birds then eat along their migration. This is not referring to birdseed that people put out in their feeders, and it cannot be spread from bird to bird. The "spread" would be caused by more farmers using such pesticides in their crops which birds use to refuel. There's no reason to take down feeders or bird baths. We are not aware of any studies which show commercial birdseed itself is harmful to birds - in fact, bird species that eat at feeders tend to be doing better overall than bird species that do not eat at backyard feeders, so clearly there is some benefit. In any case, you can continue feeding birds as normal. We recommend avoiding use of any pesticides or herbicides in wildlife-friendly yards, and also recommend cleaning your feeders regularly - every 1-2 weeks if possible - to help prevent the spread of contagious diseases. We do recommend taking feeders down for a week or so if you do see sick birds at your feeders (more info here: https://feederwatch.org/learn/sick-birds-and-bird-diseases/) This all said, if you would rather not feed birds, using native seed-bearing and/or berry-producing plants in your garden (as opposed to introduced or non-native ornamental species) can be a great substitute. These can provide seeds and berries that the birds might otherwise find naturally, and can also foster healthy native insect populations, which birds need for the nesting season (they feed their young insects almost exclusively). You can learn more in this free webinar: https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/live-event/gardening-for-birds/ I hope this is helpful!

This is good information!  I just want to be clear, though, since there seems to be two conversations here and I don't know if you're referencing another poster's discussion about organic seed vs. commercial seed or if you're referring to this mystery illness that is plaguing our area in the Mid-Atlantic and other states.  In case others are as confused as I was, I am specifically talking about this mystery illness that started in May or June of 2021.  Your reply from Cornell said that "it is not necessary to remove birdbaths and feeders."  Every article I've read, every local news affiliate that I've seen online, even my local wild bird center where we buy our seed, has specified that until we know what the cause is, it is crucial to not have birds congregate. 

They are testing for bacterial infections and have tested for toxins as well.  Nothing is pointing to a solid reason for the bird die off in blue jays, starlings, cardinals and finches.  They think it may somehow be tied to the Brood X cicadas....but who knows at this point.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 1

18 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

this mystery illness that started in May or June of 2021.  Your reply from Cornell said that "it is not necessary to remove birdbaths and feeders."  Every article I've read, every local news affiliate that I've seen online, even my local wild bird center where we buy our seed, has specified that until we know what the cause is, it is crucial to not have birds congregate. 

Agree..this appears to be a separate issue..

I just DM'd the:  NestWatch - Cornell Lab of Ornithology...

waiting for response......

Edited by artisto
  • Like 1