Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

Brood X cicadas are starting to wind down.  I can still hear them, but the noise level has dropped and by this time I should have had at least one of them coming to say hello (crawling on the window screen).

• Like 2

I sure hope AlteFrau is ok and we hear from her soon. I have to confess I don't focus so much on the names to realize who is not posting, but when you all mention a few I realize I have missed seeing their posts.

I was happy to see Seasons and a few others who made a hello appearance.

• Like 1

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AuntCarol said:

Do you guys have fireflies?  I haven't seen one yet!  And I am so excited to see one. Or more. :). Do they like the woods more than other places?

Also, I was trying to change my profile picture.  All of my pictures were too large.  And then this A popped up.  Any ideas on how to at least change it to a C or an R? :).

Thank you.

I can’t help you with your picture issues, however here in southern NY, we have “ lightning bugs “, and usually see them in July.

• Like 2

Fireflies (we called them lightning bugs as kids), like it hot and humid. We had loads of them for the past couple years. I think around July also. But it got really hot, really quickly this year so maybe we will see them sooner.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

Used to be a site to reduce size of picture 

www.shrinkpictures.com

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Thank you.

I've always called them lightning bugs, here in Georgia. I have lots of them in my back yard this year. My yard is full of trees and shrubbery, and backs up to a wooded area. I think the lightning bugs like that environment. I love watching them at night. They are out there all night, but the most activity is between about 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. As soon as it gets good and dark, you start seeing the tiny lights flashing.

• Like 6

On 6/11/2021 at 6:57 AM, artisto said:

Also:

@Puddy and @Cricket

and @DownTheShore and @ownedbysetters (although I think she changed her name, and I can't remember the newer one.)

I miss these people!! 

I'm glad @Bronx Babe is here - still wished I lived closer so I could watch TCM with you!!

oh, and @AuntCarol - how are you liking TN and your new home?

Edited by imisspuddy · Reason: i gotta keep up!!

13 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

and @DownTheShore and @ownedbysetters (although I think she changed her name, and I can't remember the newer one.)

I miss these people!! 

I'm glad @Bronx Babe is here - still wished I lived closer so I could watch TCM with you!!

oh, and @AuntCarol - how are you liking TN and your new home?

We are really liking TN!  People are so friendly. Just always look you in the eyes, smile and say hi. It’s so nice. And it’s beautiful. We haven’t done a lot of running around yet because hubby’s back keeps going in and out. House is good. Still have boxes to unwrap. But maybe I’ll just leave them packed.  Seem to have all we need now 😄

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

@AuntCarol, did you see any lightning bugs yet?

Yes @COFFEECUP!  There was a big lightening storm the other night and I went out to watch and I saw a few in the backyard!  Too cool. I think I will see more in July when it’s more humid. I read also they are out and about around 9pm-3am. Guess they have watches. 😉

• Like 6

I love this!  The footage is real, just set to Beyonce's  "Single Ladies".  It's Lucille Ball, her daughter, Lucie Arnez and Ginger Rogers from a 1971 episode of Here's Lucy.

Look at Lucille Ball go!  She and Ginger were around 60 years old when they filmed this.  Look at them go!  I just love it!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I love this!  The footage is real, just set to Beyonce's  "Single Ladies".  It's Lucille Ball, her daughter, Lucie Arnez and Ginger Rogers from a 1971 episode of Here's Lucy.

Look at Lucille Ball go!  She and Ginger were around 60 years old when they filmed this.  Look at them go!  I just love it!

Wowza !!!  Daughter Lucie is pretty good too !  What a great memory for her to have danced with two legends. 

• Like 4

Those were funny! Here's another:

Then: "You're not going out of the house dressed like that!"

Now: "If the school tells you your clothes are too revealing, I'll sue them."

• Like 6
  • Laugh 6

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Edited by artisto

Does anyone else have trouble using Target.com's search function?  I just typed in "men's shorts" and got 177 items.   Trying to be more specific, I typed in "men's tie-dye shorts" and got something like 5000 choices!!  (not all shorts)  

I was looking for a pair of knit tie-dye shorts I bought for myself in the men's department in Florida earlier this year.  Guess I should have bought more then!  😄

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 1

Just now, Thumper said:

Does anyone else have trouble using Target.com's search function?  I just typed in "men's shorts" and got 177 items.   Trying to be more specific, I typed in "men's tie-dye shorts" and got something like 5000 choices!!  (not all shorts)  

I was looking for a pair of knit tie-dye shorts I bought for myself in the men's department in Florida earlier this year.  Guess I should have bought more then!  😄

The Target website search function is sometimes very accurate for me, and sometimes it gives me lots of results only indirectly related to what I typed in the search box.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:45 AM, AuntCarol said:

We are really liking TN!  People are so friendly. Just always look you in the eyes, smile and say hi. It’s so nice. And it’s beautiful. We haven’t done a lot of running around yet because hubby’s back keeps going in and out. House is good. Still have boxes to unwrap. But maybe I’ll just leave them packed.  Seem to have all we need now 😄

Very glad to hear!

We are currently planning our escape from MA.  Going to be a little while longer than I'd like, but I can still dream...

So glad your move has been a good one!

• Like 2

There's a heat wave coming to the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.  I'm worried about my parents in Canada and because of policies there the earliest I could get to see them is July 5 if I wanted to jump on a plane.

I was texting my 15-year-old nephew who lives near them and and he told me I could trust him to take care of them.

And I do.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

51 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

There's a heat wave coming to the Pacific Northwest and parts of Canada.  I'm worried about my parents in Canada and because of policies there the earliest I could get to see them is July 5 if I wanted to jump on a plane.

I was texting my 15-year-old nephew who lives near them and and he told me I could trust him to take care of them.

And I do.

My friend in Seattle said it’s supposed to be 110° on Monday. 😯

• Surprise 4

I am angry.  Very angry.  I will not say what I would like to say because I'd be banned from here if I did.  I'm a Canadian citizen, for heaven's sake.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

And I do.

Very sweet of your nephew!

I didn’t know anyone was allowed into Canada yet.  It’s a big deal here in MN where those up on the very very northern border can’t get around for business, work, school.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Very sweet of your nephew!

I didn’t know anyone was allowed into Canada yet.  It’s a big deal here in MN where those up on the very very northern border can’t get around for business, work, school.

Oh, I'm allowed, if I quarantine for 2 weeks at a government-approved hotel at an approximate cost of $2000 Canbucks at my expense in one of Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, get a Covid test in the 3 days prior to travel and another in the 3 days after, and it doesn't matter if I've been vaccinated or not.

Sorry, still angry (See, I'm Canadian!  I'm apologizing!).

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Oh, I'm allowed, if I quarantine for 2 weeks at a government-approved hotel at an approximate cost of $2000 Canbucks at my expense in one of Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal, get a Covid test in the 3 days prior to travel and another in the 3 days after, and it doesn't matter if I've been vaccinated or not.

Sorry, still angry (See, I'm Canadian!  I'm apologizing!).

So sorry.  I hope your parents will be okay.  Do they have air conditioning, or a cool basement with fans, at least?  Or send them to a hotel?

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So sorry.  I hope your parents will be okay.  Do they have air conditioning, or a cool basement with fans, at least?  Or send them to a hotel?

Thanks.  They have a basement and fans and my sister and nephew are close by and have AC.  I just feel so helpless because (can't say what I'd like to say).

• Like 3

I talked to friends of mine yesterday who live in Portland.......usually, it averages about 80 degrees all summer long.  Yesterday, he said his outdoor thermometer measured 111 and it was 109 at 4:30. 

You'd think the biggest concern would be the heat.....it's wildfires, though.  This is prime weather for those.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

On 6/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, imisspuddy said:

Very glad to hear!

We are currently planning our escape from MA.  Going to be a little while longer than I'd like, but I can still dream...

So glad your move has been a good one!

Where are you escaping to?  

I'm worried about @KLovestoShop -- she posted a few days ago that she'd broken her hip and fractured her foot, and was about to have surgery. I hope everything went okay for her.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

I'm worried about @KLovestoShop -- she posted a few days ago that she'd broken her hip and fractured her foot, and was about to have surgery. I hope everything went okay for her.

Same here. Worried. Been waiting to hear an update. Hope all is well with her.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Where are you escaping to?  

Anywhere but here!!!!  LOL

Please don't laugh....I'd love to go to WY, but everyone I mention it to thinks I'm nuts.

I just can't take the heat so heading South isn't much of an option - I want to go somewhere where there's more wildlife than people - but everyone tells me the winters in WY are brutal.

I was born and raised here in MA - lived here my entire life, but  I just can't with these taxes here anymore....

Any suggestions??? :)

Edited by imisspuddy
  • Like 1

Received some catalogs today and having fun looking.

Has anyone ever ordered full price from Sundance? Worth it?  I ordered a sweater on clearance last year.  A pair of earrings, full price $100+, is calling my name, but the price!

Or JJill?  Have only ordered or bought in store on sale or clearance.  Colors are often too bland for me, but I see a few things I like in the latest catalog.

Just curious.

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

14 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

Anywhere but here!!!!  LOL

Please don't laugh....I'd love to go to WY, but everyone I mention it to thinks I'm nuts.

I just can't take the heat so heading South isn't much of an option - I want to go somewhere where there's more wildlife than people - but everyone tells me the winters in WY are brutal.

I was born and raised here in MA - lived here my entire life, but  I just can't with these taxes here anymore....

Any suggestions??? :)

If you want to go to Wyoming go!  Give it a try. Visit or vacation. Then rent a place. Then you can decide if you want to buy.  If you’re by yourself a condo is a good idea. And you’ll still be close to nature pretty much anywhere in Wy. Just not downtown somewhere 😁. Start investigating online. That’s what I did. I read all the best places to retire in wherever articles. Made a list of what I wanted and started searching. It was fun. Don’t you have bad winters in MA?  Just find a place you’ll be warm and cozy. You won’t have to get up and shovel out to go to work. Don’t give up on your dream. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm looking into getting a new tv. The last time I bought one was maybe 25 years ago. The televisions out now are smart tv's and have lots of perks. I've been researching online what brands are reliable, etc. But, there are lots of reviews (researched on Amazon and Walmart) that mention tons of problems with these new TV's. Some of them sound like nightmares. I want to spend $300 or less. Even the $1,000 tv's have bad reviews.

Does anyone have a smart tv brand you would recommend? A good experience? Or, a brand to stay away from? 

TCL, inexpensive and good. 

• Useful 3

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

I had to replace a 9-year-old "dumb" Toshiba TV with an LG smart HDTV last year. I hated to do it, but my beloved old TV was just totally worn out. Learning the technology on the new LG TV and getting it to work with Comcast was a huge hassle; they had a hard time getting the TV to accept the HD signal. The new TV is much more complicated to use than my old one. Steep learning curve for me. But now everything is fine, and I've learned to like the LG. I just ignore most of the bells-and-whistles features I don't need.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Received some catalogs today and having fun looking.

Has anyone ever ordered full price from Sundance? Worth it?  I ordered a sweater on clearance last year.  A pair of earrings, full price $100+, is calling my name, but the price!

Or JJill?  Have only ordered or bought in store on sale or clearance.  Colors are often too bland for me, but I see a few things I like in the latest catalog.

Just curious.

I really like JJill and have had good luck with the clothes. The new catalog is so my taste, I will order something.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

We have a Samsung and a Toshiba and really like both. We haven't had problems with either and it wasn't hard to figure out how to use the "smart" features.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.  First chance I’ve had to post. Had surgery on Monday and went to rehab last night.  Not looking forward to this part. They suspect I’ll be in rehab for 12 weeks. The big issue is that the center is nearly 2 hours from where I live. And I’m allowed 1 visitor three times a week for 30 minutes.  It’s awful.  

Thank you for asking. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Hi Everyone.  First chance I’ve had to post. Had surgery on Monday and went to rehab last night.  Not looking forward to this part. They suspect I’ll be in rehab for 12 weeks. The big issue is that the center is nearly 2 hours from where I live. And I’m allowed 1 visitor three times a week for 30 minutes.  It’s awful.  

Thank you for asking. 

A friend of mine, who is 89 years old, fell on Christmas Eve and broke her leg above her knee....that's a difficult break to heal but complicating her rehab was the fact that she'd had a knee replacement on that leg a several years before.  They said she'd be in the rehab center for 10-12 weeks but she did so well during rehab that she was home in 5 weeks and was able to continue rehab at home or going to another place as an outpatient (I think she did a combo of both of these). 

Hang in there and we're all rooting for you!

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Hang in there and we're all rooting for you!

I’ll second that!

So glad to see your post. Best wishes for a thorough and speedy rehab.

And thanks for letting us know you’re ok!

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Thank you for asking. 

So glad your surgery went well! We'll help you pass the time in rehab by continuing to snark here and hopefully make you laugh! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy rehab.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Thank you for asking. 

Sending my prayers and healing thoughts to you. Rehab isn't fun but you will gain health and mobility. Someone is always on here so we can be your rehab group to chat.

• Like 10

Prayers and good thoughts coming your way from us, @KLovestoShop. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. 

Edited by lazyfaire
  • Like 8

@KLovestoShop thanks for the update! Sending you warm wishes and prayers for a smooth recovery. I'm sorry the rehab center is so far from your home, and that they limit visitors so much.

Here is a sweet face to cheer you up.

misc pics animals hedgehog held in hands.jpg

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Like 10

On 6/28/2021 at 11:41 PM, AuntCarol said:

If you want to go to Wyoming go!  Give it a try. Visit or vacation. Then rent a place. Then you can decide if you want to buy.  If you’re by yourself a condo is a good idea. And you’ll still be close to nature pretty much anywhere in Wy. Just not downtown somewhere 😁. Start investigating online. That’s what I did. I read all the best places to retire in wherever articles. Made a list of what I wanted and started searching. It was fun. Don’t you have bad winters in MA?  Just find a place you’ll be warm and cozy. You won’t have to get up and shovel out to go to work. Don’t give up on your dream. 

Thanks for the encouragement, @AuntCarol!  That's exactly what I've been doing.  Hoping to go our for a few days of vacation in the fall and will take it from there.  Yes, we have horrendous winters followed by no spring, jump right to unbearable heat and humidity in the summer - which is what we're dealing with at the moment - followed by glorious, glorious fall!  Makes me wonder why I've ever stayed so long...I can always come back in Sept/Oct for the leaves!!  

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 5