Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Sort of dark, but I lol'd.

archery meme.jpg

One of Jane’s ancestors inventing archery. 

• Laugh 11

Cicada palooza has begun.  We saw our first one this morning by our front door as we were leaving the house.......

IMG_1300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Cicada palooza has begun.  We saw our first one this morning by our front door as we were leaving the house.......

IMG_1300.jpg

Get out the earplugs!

• Laugh 4

43 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

Get out the earplugs!

It's pretty incredible........we got up this morning to the sound of them in the distance, since we have a lot of open space woods around us.  We went outside and while we only had that one yesterday that I took a picture of on a plant, there are literally hundreds in our front yard today.  Some are live, some are the nymphs having just come out of the ground, some you just see their exo-skeletons.  They're hanging off leaves on the tree, their little dried shell bodies are all over the trunk......we have a lot of birds, too, so I'm sure they're having a feast!

I just love it!  It's the miracle of life, really.  But ask me how I feel in a week or so.........by then, the novelty will probably have worn off!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 2

Same here in my part of Virginia; the noise has gotten louder by the day and it's now a constant 24/7 hum that I can hear along with all the usual birds and chirpy creatures and traffic.  The warmer weather really helped get them out of the ground.

But it is very true that trees are the key, the older and denser, the better.  Some areas you'll see and hear little, if anything, and then you can drive a couple miles and they're cracking 100 decibels.  They reopened the National Zoo on Friday; that's one place I certainly won't be making plans to visit because of the racket.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I just love it!  It's the miracle of life, really.  But ask me how I feel in a week or so.........by then, the novelty will probably have worn off!

It's amazing that the cicadas have a 17-year cycle. Scientists still don't know exactly how their internal clock works. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Same here in my part of Virginia; the noise has gotten louder by the day and it's now a constant 24/7 hum that I can hear along with all the usual birds and chirpy creatures and traffic.  The warmer weather really helped get them out of the ground.

But it is very true that trees are the key, the older and denser, the better.  Some areas you'll see and hear little, if anything, and then you can drive a couple miles and they're cracking 100 decibels.  They reopened the National Zoo on Friday; that's one place I certainly won't be making plans to visit because of the racket.

We're going to the Natl. Zoo this week!  I didn't think about the cicada issue, but it can't be any worse than it is at my house right now!  Well, I guess it could be worse, but...animals!

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 6:18 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

We're going to the Natl. Zoo this week!  I didn't think about the cicada issue, but it can't be any worse than it is at my house right now!  Well, I guess it could be worse, but...animals!

How went the zoo?  Did you see Munchkin Panda?

8 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

How went the zoo?  Did you see Munchkin Panda?

Thanks for asking!  I'm so sad, we didn't go yet!  The weather got in the way.  As you know, the weather here this past week has been less than ideal.  It was searing hot for a couple of days this week, over 90 degrees.  On the couple of days when the weather was just o.k., it was too humid.  Then, it turned cold and rainy (this weekend).  We hit a record yesterday - 56 degrees was the high here.

Next week we'll try again.

• Sad 4

Deep gratitude for all who serve and for those who sacrificed most so that we could be free.

E2t72F_XMAkl4K-.jpg

• Like 8

The cicada invasion is a big deal around here......it is full on, almost 90 decibels of noise from sun-up until maybe 7:00 pm.

The Washington Post had an article yesterday and issued a warning, but I fixed the headline.

E26hsqGWYAAciyt.jpg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8
  • Surprise 1

Though I generally have a few of the annual cicadas, I haven't really seen (or heard) any evidence of either variety.  So far.

I'm okay with that.

@hummingbird, I think you have been singing the praises of TJMaxx prices for quite awhile.  I finally went to one yesterday -- first time in 18 months or so -- it was sooooo great!  I mean, I love TJ anyhow, but I was able to get so many items for much cheaper than the Q!  

It was crowded, so I didn't meander as long as I would have liked.  I'll go back on a weekday.

• Like 5

I went to TJ Maxx yesterday, too!  I've gone a couple of times since maybe the fall until now.  It was great to be able to take my time and really look around.  Before, I would limit my time to about 15 - 20 minutes.  I bought a few things, a necklace that was on clearance, a couple of bath towels for my husband, a nightgown.  Nothing whoop-di-do, it was just nice to feel somewhat normal.

The cicadas today, as well as the last couple of days, are so bad that we can't sit out on our deck or be outside.  There's a window of very early in the morning, like 6:00 a.m. until maybe 9:00 a.m. where it's do-able to spend time out there.  It's not the noise that's the issue, it's the massive  numbers of them flying around.  I was out early watering the pots on my deck this morning and every once and a while, I'd here one lone cicada buzz for a quick second,  turn around to see him struggling to climb up onto the deck.  And forget about actually being in the yard....there isn't a surface in my gardens that don't have hundreds of these things all over the place.

My cats have finally discovered them, too.  I have window candles in all of my windows (I've left them out all year for something different, plus I'm lazy), but yesterday I had to finally take them down.  My male cat was dive bombing the cicadas he'd see that were clinging to the screens.  It provided lots of entertainment for my husband and I, but the poor baby  was so frustrated he couldn't get to them.  Finally, after maybe an hour of running from window to window, he wore himself out, curled up under the living room window, facing it so he wouldn't miss any action, and fell asleep until dinner.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

What fresh hell is this? 

The annual chirping cicadas are here in full force along with the hummers who are here to get it on and call it a life.

Ah, there's the refreshing noise of a helicopter.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

We haven’t seen any cicadas in my Philadelphia suburb, but Mr. Booney and I drove to Frederick, MD today for a postponed baby shower for our latest grandson (he’s already three months old, so it was a l-o-n-g postponement due to COVID!) and our car was bombarded with cicadas while driving in Maryland. Seriously, the windshield is covered with exploded cicadas. I said to Mr. Booney, how sad - they spend 17 years underground so that they can emerge and mate, and instead they meet an untimely end on a car windshield. RIP little guys and gals.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 3

Girls, "The Long Hot Summer" with Paul Newman is coming up in ten minutes!

Oh, mama!!

On Turner Classic Movies.

The "heat" will be intense!

• Like 1

Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day, June 6, 1944.

misc pics military D-Day June 6, 1944.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Congrats to @Booney and Mr. Booney on your latest accomplishment!

(After all, grandson wouldn't be around without you.)

Thanks, @letusprocrastinate! It’s mainly Mr. Booney’s accomplishment as I am actually stepmom and stepgrandmom, but I love them all like they were my own.

• Like 9

The problem with being a procrastinator is when you need something done right now and who you need it from is procrastinating and it frustrates the daylights out of you.

• Laugh 3

2 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The problem with being a procrastinator is when you need something done right now and who you need it from is procrastinating and it frustrates the daylights out of you.

Oh, you know my husband?

• Laugh 6

19 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

For those of you in a chunk of the US, particularly the northeast, if you like your retinas don't look directly at the sun early tomorrow (June 10) unless you have the proper means to do it safely:

https://www.life.com/nature/solar-eclipse/

image.png.8eebe4372326da3a28865dc6a49128b5.png

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8

3 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

I was just going to post the same thing, @PearlClutcher.  I miss her, too!  Nice to see @seasons and @Mother Superior!  Hope everyone is doing well.

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

Oh gosh, I sure hope @Alte Frau is doing well! 

Seriously. You guys on this shopping channel threads are the nicest folks on this whole site. 

Sending the good vibes back your way.🌞😎💖🍀

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

And Walnut Queen. We haven't heard from her in ages.

I looked around on this site and many others have asked the same thing.  People have even messaged her but no response.  I had the feeling that she had some health issues so I have some doubts that she'll return but I hope she proves me wrong. 

• Sad 3

I said to myself a few months ago that there would inevitably be a shooting at one our local Publix supermarkets here in South Florida and sure enough, we just heard the tragic news....

Damn, damn damn when will all this stop

I've been using Instacart since the pandemic hit but now have another reason not to shop out in the open....I don't want to give in to my fears but all this is just too much to bear.

• Sad 13

18 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I said to myself a few months ago that there would inevitably be a shooting at one our local Publix supermarkets here in South Florida and sure enough, we just heard the tragic news....

Damn, damn damn when will all this stop

I've been using Instacart since the pandemic hit but now have another reason not to shop out in the open....I don't want to give in to my fears but all this is just too much to bear.

The shootings in Atlanta have gotten so frequent it's mind-numbing. Last month there was a shootout in my local Home Depot parking lot. There was a party going on in an apartment building next door, and partygoers got into an argument and started shooting. HD customers had to duck for cover, and three of them were hit by stray bullets. It happened right by the garden center, where I shop often. I was horrified.

• Sad 10

How horrible, @Coffeecup

It's ironic -- now that things are "opening up", we are more than ever plagued with these public obscenities.  What's to done in the short and/or long term, God only knows.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3