Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

On 4/7/2021 at 5:29 AM, hummingbird said:

how did you pick TN

do you have roots there

My family moved to Ca in the 1940’s. But I had gone to Tn a few times with my folks and the the hubby after we got married. Just always liked it. Taxes are less than Ca.  Lots of things cost less. The Gov. here isn’t crazy like Ca.  And the people are so friendly. 

• Like 7

On 4/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

Wait, you're going to be living in hotels for over a month, or are you going to temporarily rent furniture until your stuff shows up?  Is it just the updating part or also that the moving company would prefer to not have to drive an empty truck all the way back to CA?

If you're staying in a hotel for over a month, live a little!  Hotel-hop!   There are plenty of brands under the Hilton moniker if you want to rack up points.

Nope, living in a Hampton Inn. The place isn’t liveable right now. No appliances, new countertops just in, new shower put in and the whole house inside needs to be painted. I don’t know what happens to the moving truck. The moving company actually hires on to a moving van going to Tn. There could be more than one client’s stuff in the same load. They probably do that going back. Pick up loads wherever they are if they are headed West. Our town has 10,000 people. Not a lot of hotels to hop to. 😄

• Like 3

Feel awful for QEII today.

It doesn't matter what you think about the British royal family or him personally, they were married for nearly 74 years, and from what I understand once she met him she wasn't going to have anyone else.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4

Philip's early life story is fascinating. 

The Greek and Danish roots, every royal in Europe related in some way via Queen Victoria. I love reading about this stuff.

Someone "elsewhere " called him a Nazi, which annoyed me.  Just showed lack of knowledge about his history. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Philip's early life story is fascinating. 

The Greek and Danish roots, every royal in Europe related in some way via Queen Victoria. I love reading about this stuff.

Someone "elsewhere " called him a Nazi, which annoyed me.  Just showed lack of knowledge about his history. 

Couldn't agree more....

• Like 3

My favorite:  "You want to talk to the manager??  I want to talk to your mother!" 😄

• Laugh 6

Are Diane and Susan sisters of Karen ? 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 6

“The manager doesn’t know what’s going on. Haven’t you ever worked anywhere before?” 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by LeeDenny
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

18 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Though my almost militant insistance for good customer service is super conflicted with this, having worked a miserable 5 years in retail in the not-so distant past, I quietly cheer this:

https://www.facebook.com/dman.williamson/videos/10157763802677032

OMG! Sooooooo truuuuue! I'm surprised that video is only 3 minutes long.

I've worked my share of retail. The sale lasted 4 weeks, but the customer finally dragged their ass to the store 3 days after the sale ended and they pitch a fit b/c they can't get the discount. But, they extended the sale to 4 weeks just FOR YOU! 

Have you ever noticed that a "one day sale" lasts 3 days? 

They also complain that there is never a sale. There are sales every month, pick a time to come in or shop online. Seriously. If it's not on sale today, wait until the weekend or next week. (I learned so much working retail.)

Many times customers would ask me to "change" the price at the register to give them a better deal. (mostly men) Being nice and polite did not work with those people. I had to be blunt, "Angela got fired for doing that, I'm not risking my job." 

It's been awhile but I still have fresh memories of horrible retail. I'm trying to forget. I worked really hard, paid attention to detail, wanted the customers to enjoy themselves and have fun shopping, etc. Management never noticed but someone else did. I got recruited by a guy who kept coming back. THANK YOU LORD!

• Like 11

One of my most memorable anecdotes was when the asshole came into our store to buy Keurig coffee pods.  Made his selections, then came to the register and presented his Bed Bath & Beyond 20% coupon (not a BBB store), expecting me to discount every item.  I explained that we would honor the coupon for ONE item, as the coupon states.  He responded that Kohl's would allow the discount routinely on every item.

My response?  "And yet you're here."  (Kohl's store was a mere mile straight south)

He left in a semi huff, after having made his purchase.

My spirit was renewed.

• Laugh 11

We could write a book. 

One of my friends retired last Saturday. She had worked in retail for 30 years. Unbelievable. 

• Like 3
  • Surprise 3

Retail story, and this is from several decades ago:  One time my dad got a call from the church treasurer saying the check put into the offering plate had a problem.

Instead of writing it out to the church, he had written it out to the grocery store.

• Laugh 4
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Retail story, and this is from several decades ago:  One time my dad got a call from the church treasurer saying the check put into the offering plate had a problem.

Instead of writing it out to the church, he had written it out to the grocery store.

That’s funny.            Tithing?! .............Aisle 5!

• Laugh 6

17 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My response?  "And yet you're here."  (Kohl's store was a mere mile straight south)

Priceless

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I know, 100%, this goes on at my Target at least weekly.

IMG_2549.JPG

• Laugh 9

35 minutes ago, Friday said:

I know, 100%, this goes on at my Target at least weekly.

IMG_2549.JPG

Yep...definitely true at my Target, too.

They are the Kings of this!  Every week it's a challenge to find something - and it's mundane stuff like Tide or Dawn or Cascade......always moved around.  And not just down the aisle, it's moved like three aisles away.

Damn those resets!

• Like 4

What’s the deal with this board?  Once a giant-sized Coffeecup’s picture came up and then I think PotatoChip’s. A giant doll and a giant P. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AuntCarol said:

What’s the deal with this board?  Once a giant-sized Coffeecup’s picture came up and then I think PotatoChip’s. A giant doll and a giant P. Has this happened to anyone else?

A somewhat bungled board upgrade they are still trying to straighten out.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

It's happening to me too. Instead of a small box with a notification, I get huge avatar boxes that block almost all of the screen. I have to keep doing "refresh page" to get rid of them. On the Primetimer "Bugs" forum, I saw that many other people were having the same problem. I reported it too. The IT people are supposed to be working on it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

It's happening to me too. Instead of a small box with a notification, I get huge avatar boxes that block almost all of the screen. I have to keep doing "refresh page" to get rid of them. On the Primetimer "Bugs" forum, I saw that many other people were having the same problem. I reported it too. The IT people are supposed to be working on it.

It's a universal problem. You can just X out of the notification box and you'll be right where you left off. 😊

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's a universal problem. You can just X out of the notification box and you'll be right where you left off. 😊

Several times I've been unable to scroll up or down to reach the spot where the X is. (Maybe a problem with my mouse.)  It's quicker for me to just hit refresh page.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Several times I've been unable to scroll up or down to reach the spot where the X is. (Maybe a problem with my mouse.)  It's quicker for me to just hit refresh page.

Interesting. I post from my phone or a tablet, and I always get the X. 

6 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

(Quoting myself)  I just checked again. When I try to scroll to the top of the giant notification to reach the X, the background screen (our posts) will move up and down, but the big notification won't move at all. It is like the thing is a popup or an overlay that is not designed to be scrollable. (I made up a word!) I'm on a Win 10 desktop, so my experience could be different from people using other devices.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

(Quoting myself)  I just checked again. When I try to scroll to the top of the giant notification to reach the X, the background screen (our posts) will move up and down, but the big notification won't move at all. It is like the thing is a popup or an overlay that is not designed to be scrollable. (I made up a word!) I'm on a Win 10 desktop, so my experience could be different from people using other devices.

I often have the same experience, and I’m on an iPad.

• Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I often have the same experience, and I’m on an iPad.

I've noticed that in this update, iPads and lap/desktops have the sane issues. However, my cheapo Kindle Fire has the same issues as my phone. Weird.

• Useful 3

51 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

Same here - I can't scroll up or down, either, so no way for me to "X" out.....I thank you for your tip on refreshing the page!  That works well for me, too!

• Like 3

Anyone else watching the NFL draft tonight ?  Football is the only sport that I watch, and I wouldn’t miss the draft. 🏈

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lady J said:

Anyone else watching the NFL draft tonight ?  Football is the only sport that I watch, and I wouldn’t miss the draft. 🏈

I’ll be watching!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Lady J said:

I will check in now and then.  Have to watch “Top Chef” first!

So much drah-muh today with the “sudden” leaking of Aaron Rodgers supposedly wanting to leave the Packers.  Strange how this came out on draft day, huh???   I’m a Packer fan living in MN... sigh.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So much drah-muh today with the “sudden” leaking of Aaron Rodgers supposedly wanting to leave the Packers.  Strange how this came out on draft day, huh???   I’m a Packer fan living in MN... sigh.

So do you think they’ll trade him ?

53 minutes ago, Lady J said:

So do you think they’ll trade him ?

I’m no great football mind.  From what I read, no.  But if this is true, he’s not happy, which makes for a not-fun season ahead.  They drafted a QB last year, which seems to have set him off.  (He in the same position Brett Favre was in when Packers drafted Rodgers!).  Plus he’s engaged  to actress Shailene Woodley  now, so I can see him wanting to be in CA.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

21 minutes ago, From Where I Sit said:

And, from what my sources tell me, he really wants the Jeopardy gig.

[my sources: husband and son 😅]

Aaron actually did a really good job hosting. And, he’s very easy on the eyes... 😊

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

OMG! I hadn't heard about AR until I read it here. I like Rodgers. He did well on Jeopardy. 

CATEGORY: How To Screw With The Fans on Draft Day!

The answer is: "You just never know, huh? Brady winning the Super Bowl playing for Tampa Bay. Now Rodgers unhappy with the Packers."

The question is: "What is DAMN F&%$!"

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

He did a great____ job on Jeopardy, looked like he was very comfortable with it and  I could see him  as the host. 

He also won Celebrity Jeopardy in 2015, beating then-astronaut and current US Senator Mark Kelly and some guy named Kevin O'Leary.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/flashback-aaron-rodgers-wins-2015-celebrity-jeopardy

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Another May Day, one of the most famous radio calls in National Hockey League history by Rick Jeanneret, exactly a week before on April 24.  An absolutely beautiful goal by a guy on the Buffalo Sabres who was on the ice to make sure no one messed with the player whom during this play passed the puck to him as he was falling down.  Jeanneret said afterwards he stopped saying "May Day!" once he figured out something else to say.

• Like 2

I'm starting to get into coloring books (for adults) and came across this one. I don't think I've seen the words "motivational" and "swear words" used together before. LOL (available on Amazon) 

71v1AwhuRbL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Laugh 8