Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

Recommended Posts

Just now, hummingbird said:

local programming maybe antenna or roku?

Pluto is also a good channel 

You know, we have a roku account, and hubs bought one of those $19.99 infomercial TV antennas a couple of years ago, then promptly did nothing with it, lol.  I haven't really delved into the Roku thing, didn't know we could get local channels on it.  I have so much to learn, lol.

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You know, we have a roku account, and hubs bought one of those $19.99 infomercial TV antennas a couple of years ago, then promptly did nothing with it, lol.  I haven't really delved into the Roku thing, didn't know we could get local channels on it.  I have so much to learn, lol.

You have orphan electronics too?  😁 I have a couple of consumer electronics items I bought and never took out of the boxes. I keep meaning to get around to using them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone else see that Homeshoppingista Linda Moss was warned about returning too many items? "QVC Warns The Homeshoppingista To Stop Returning Items, Or Else!"

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I would welcome that.  I'm slowing trying to convince the hubs that we can cut the cord.  Finally took a bullet with Netflix (yes, we were the lone remaining holdouts), we have Amazon Prime video, he's figured out that Vudu business.  I just have to figure out the best way to get local programming and HBO/Showtime and I'll be set, lol.  I will cut that $120 some odd bux we're sending to Comcast every month for television.

I have found if you call Comcast and threaten to cancel they will give you a deal to stay. I don’t think  having the internet/cable tv bundle costs much more than internet alone. But I don’t do premium channels.
I do have Netflix, Prime, AppleTV and Disney+/Hulu/espn bundle. Netflix is free with T-Mobile and Apple TV is free from purchasing a new phone. 

Share this post


Link to post

The power went out this morning before I could make my coffee. I can’t drive anywhere because the garage has an electric opener and I can’t get into the garage to disconnect it. Grrr

Edited by LeeDenny
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

You know, we have a roku account, and hubs bought one of those $19.99 infomercial TV antennas a couple of years ago, then promptly did nothing with it, lol.  I haven't really delved into the Roku thing, didn't know we could get local channels on it.  I have so much to learn, lol.

Then you're set up to begin streaming.  The antennas don't always work well and didn't for me because of where I'm located in a canyon.  Local channels can be found on Roku (lots on the Pluto TV app which is FREE) and also on the streaming apps.  I've tried them all: 

Direct TVNow which became AT&T TV had all my local channels but the CW.  Problem is that they kept raising the price and it's the most expensive of the streaming apps almost $40 more than others that are offered on Roku.

Sling TV which I liked especially their DVR.  The problem is that it had only ABC and Fox local channels.  Like the original poster I use You Tube TV which is $49.99 a month and has ALL the local channels in my area.  I believe it's the same price for Sling but the local channels was the reason I canceled which can be done so quickly on Roku; no phone calls just click and cancel.

If the antenna doesn't work then you can use another app LOCAST TV which offers EVERY local channel in your area.  Here's info if it's available in your area.  https://www.locast.org/

It's also free, but they do ask for a one time donation which has to be done thru Pay Pal.  If I hadn't found You Tube TV I would have kept it, but didn't.

For the person that asked about the premium channels if you have Roku you can watch them on their Roku Channel app. 

They have paired discounts for the following: 

Starz + Epix =$11.99;

Showtime + Epix =$12.99;

Showtime + Starz = $16.99 and the most expensive is HBO + Cinemax = $20.99. 

I currently have Showtime + Epix but in July I will be canceling Showtime and then adding Starz + Epix. 

As for HBO I have HBO NOW which alone is $14.99.  Roku does not have a deal with HBO Max yet so won't do anything with HBO NOW until they reach an agreement.

I've been cable free for over two years and don't miss it at all.  My cable company lost a landline phone and all their TV equipment rentals.  So glad I switched to streaming and anyone thinking about do it; you won't be sorry!  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Just now, hummingbird said:

Epix has some good stuff

 

Yes it does.  I loved Berlin Station and hated to see it end 😰.  Their War of the Worlds was surprisingly good and so different from what we've seen in other versions; can't wait to see a Season 2.  Belgravia was good but a much darker version of Downton Abbey set after the Napoleonic Wars..   

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dbklmt said:

Yes it does.  I loved Berlin Station and hated to see it end 😰.  Their War of the Worlds was surprisingly good and so different from what we've seen in other versions; can't wait to see a Season 2.  Belgravia was good but a much darker version of Downton Abbey set after the Napoleonic Wars..   

I really enjoyed Belgravia!

Thank you so much for the primer on streaming.  You gave so much information here about streaming and I really appreciate all of the insights!  We're thinking of going 100% to streaming, too, but always worry about the local channels, which we need for local news and weather.  It's been like having our own consultant! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

For those of us of a certain age, we just watched “Laurel Canyon” on Epix and loved it.  It’s a documentary about the burgeoning music scene there in the 1960’s-70’s.  Mamas and Papas, Joni Mitchell, CSNY, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, and others.

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

You have orphan electronics too?  😁 I have a couple of consumer electronics items I bought and never took out of the boxes. I keep meaning to get around to using them.

Wish I had 10% of the money I've wasted on things that never got used or sent back through the years.  Be a helluva 401Hey!

9 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

I have found if you call Comcast and threaten to cancel they will give you a deal to stay. I don’t think  having the internet/cable tv bundle costs much more than internet alone. But I don’t do premium channels.
I do have Netflix, Prime, AppleTV and Disney+/Hulu/espn bundle. Netflix is free with T-Mobile and Apple TV is free from purchasing a new phone. 

Yes, I've done that dance with CommieCast for the last 20 years, but I'm tired of it, and don't really want to keep the cable, so I'm putting it off.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

The power went out this morning before I could make my coffee. I can’t drive anywhere because the garage has an electric opener and I can’t get into the garage to disconnect it. Grrr

PSA - I despise instant coffee, but I keep a tiny jar of instant around for just such emergencies.  🤪

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, dbklmt said:

Then you're set up to begin streaming.  The antennas don't always work well and didn't for me because of where I'm located in a canyon.  Local channels can be found on Roku (lots on the Pluto TV app which is FREE) and also on the streaming apps.  I've tried them all: 

Direct TVNow which became AT&T TV had all my local channels but the CW.  Problem is that they kept raising the price and it's the most expensive of the streaming apps almost $40 more than others that are offered on Roku.

Sling TV which I liked especially their DVR.  The problem is that it had only ABC and Fox local channels.  Like the original poster I use You Tube TV which is $49.99 a month and has ALL the local channels in my area.  I believe it's the same price for Sling but the local channels was the reason I canceled which can be done so quickly on Roku; no phone calls just click and cancel.

If the antenna doesn't work then you can use another app LOCAST TV which offers EVERY local channel in your area.  Here's info if it's available in your area.  https://www.locast.org/

It's also free, but they do ask for a one time donation which has to be done thru Pay Pal.  If I hadn't found You Tube TV I would have kept it, but didn't.

For the person that asked about the premium channels if you have Roku you can watch them on their Roku Channel app. 

They have paired discounts for the following: 

Starz + Epix =$11.99;

Showtime + Epix =$12.99;

Showtime + Starz = $16.99 and the most expensive is HBO + Cinemax = $20.99. 

I currently have Showtime + Epix but in July I will be canceling Showtime and then adding Starz + Epix. 

As for HBO I have HBO NOW which alone is $14.99.  Roku does not have a deal with HBO Max yet so won't do anything with HBO NOW until they reach an agreement.

I've been cable free for over two years and don't miss it at all.  My cable company lost a landline phone and all their TV equipment rentals.  So glad I switched to streaming and anyone thinking about do it; you won't be sorry!  

Wow, thanks so much, I will bookmark this and save for when I get a moment to dedicate to this.  I really hate dealing with it, which is why I've taken the easy way out...and done nothing.  It's time.  Must.cut.the.cord.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

PSA - I despise instant coffee, but I keep a tiny jar of instant around for just such emergencies.  🤪

No hot water. It would definitely work to make iced coffee though. I used to keep Bustelo instant coffee sticks around. I should try to find some. Thanks for the reminder. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

If you have a gas stove ,boil the water, use those single serve paper filters with about 2 or 3 spoonfulls of coffee ,slowly pour the hot water over the grounds into a cup and you'll have a damn_ fine cup of coffee. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

About 7 years ago I saw Ryan Gosling in the Seattle airport. I never really thought he was all that attractive until I saw him in person. Oh my god was he gorgeous.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

The power went out this morning before I could make my coffee. I can’t drive anywhere because the garage has an electric opener and I can’t get into the garage to disconnect it. Grrr

Ohhhhh I hope you get power back soon ! Coffee is a must for me. I hardly use it, but I have gone so far as to have some instant coffee around ( they sell it in the sleeves like the individual flavorings for water) . I can drink that with cold water if need be, and some milk. The struggle for caffeine is real. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The power went out this morning before I could make my coffee.

that would f my day

hope sunday is better 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, LeeDenny said:

No hot water. It would definitely work to make iced coffee though. I used to keep Bustelo instant coffee sticks around. I should try to find some. Thanks for the reminder. 

No hot water?!?  Ugh.  So now you need one of those single burner propane stove thingys.  Man, being a prepper would be hard work, lol.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

My power was back after a few hours yesterday. But I definitely need some little instant coffee sticks.  

I did end up using one of those little Bolt type phone chargers to charge my phone. Mine was $17 off Amazon several years ago. I haven’t touched that thing for a couple years and it was still fully charged!

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just got a text alert from our local news station about hand sanitzer .  Please check whatever brands you have and ensure they are not these brands, per below:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising consumers not to use hand sanitizer products manufactured by Eskbiochem SA due to the potential presence of a toxic chemical.

The FDA has discovered methanol, a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through skin or ingested, in samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ hand sanitizers, both produced by the Mexican company.

Eskbiochem did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN.

The FDA recommends that consumers avoid the following brands of hand sanitizers produced by Eskbiochem:

All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)

Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)

Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)

The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)

Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

Exposure to significant amounts of methanol can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

Anyone exposed to these hand sanitizers should seek immediate treatment, the FDA warns.

The FDA asked Eskbiochem SA to remove its hand sanitizer products from shelves on June 17 but has yet to receive a response from the company. The agency recommends that consumers stop using these products immediately and dispose of them in "appropriate hazardous waste containers."

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I just got a text alert from our local news station about hand sanitzer .  Please check whatever brands you have and ensure they are not these brands, per below:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising consumers not to use hand sanitizer products manufactured by Eskbiochem SA due to the potential presence of a toxic chemical.

The FDA has discovered methanol, a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through skin or ingested, in samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ hand sanitizers, both produced by the Mexican company.

Eskbiochem did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CNN.

The FDA recommends that consumers avoid the following brands of hand sanitizers produced by Eskbiochem:

All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)

Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)

Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)

The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)

CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)

Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)

Exposure to significant amounts of methanol can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, permanent blindness, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system or death.

Anyone exposed to these hand sanitizers should seek immediate treatment, the FDA warns.

The FDA asked Eskbiochem SA to remove its hand sanitizer products from shelves on June 17 but has yet to receive a response from the company. The agency recommends that consumers stop using these products immediately and dispose of them in "appropriate hazardous waste containers."

Thanks for that info. Just wondering, what is an "appropriate hazardous waste container," and where do we find them? Do they mean to dispose of these products like we do with old cans of paint -- mix the stuff with cat litter until it turns solid, and then put it in the regular trash can?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

@lovemesomejoolery, thanks for the information. 

Some people have been using hand sanitizer every time they touch anything. There's no telling how many people could have been harmed. 

Where I shop hasn't had hand sanitizer in stock for 3 months. It's easy to figure out if I have any of those manufacturers listed. Nope. Don't have any. I feel lucky to have gotten toilet paper and bleach. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

 

This is pretty. Is that Our Alberti in there? 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Happy Belated Birthday, @AuntCarol !  I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Oh Happy Day.gif

Thank you so much!  Much appreciated. 

E890CBB2-F198-4423-9118-7E684CDF4691.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Aunt Carol, I hope you had a great birthday ! 🎂🍾🎂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

@AuntCarol- wow! yoU look so pretty! Your skin is gorgeous! Great brows and hair too! You must share your qvc "skincare routine" with us! 🌹🎁🎂🎈🎉

19 hours ago, AuntCarol said:

Thank you so much!  Much appreciated. 

E890CBB2-F198-4423-9118-7E684CDF4691.jpeg

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, seasons said:

@AuntCarol- wow! yoU look so pretty! Your skin is gorgeous! Great brows and hair too! You must share your qvc "skincare routine" with us! 🌹🎁🎂🎈🎉

 

Thank you.  But I was looking at the photo thinking gads, it didn’t have be such a close up, look at my chins, look at my 11 between my eyebrows, where ARE my lips.  My hair is so thin on top but thankfully I can do a good comb over 🙂. My skin looks ok. Not too many wrinkles for 71. I rarely use anything on my face because I have rosacea and it’s so sensitive. No makeup. Use Laura Gellers Balance and Brighten. Eyeshadow. Rarely mascara. I cut and dyed my own hair about 6 weeks ago. Guess I’m just a natural beauty.  Thank you again for the compliments. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes!  I really appreciate them and you!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Love this! An Arizona antiques shop owner got fed up with people refusing to wear masks in her store and arguing with her about it (she requires it). So she posted this sign in the doorway:

D2B2C007-F04D-4237-AEB5-045B05B40D65.thumb.jpeg.15179b6e04e9525e7055632f676291d7.jpeg

  • Like 14
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

It seems the next neighborhood over decided to put on their own fireworks display. What could go wrong? Ugh.

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Last night, a fireworks show in Plano (north of Dallas) went awry. One of the mortars misfired in its tube, blew up, which then ignited the other charges that were loaded. Fireworks was blasting on the ground sending spectators running. Many small grass fires.

ETA: video wasn't working correctly.

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Surprise 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

After last night's unending barrage of booms, this is me awaiting tonight's sundown assault: 

 

I had this looping on my phone earlier today for about 20 minutes. It cracks me up.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, letusprocrastinate said:

If I have @AuntCarol's skin when I'm 71, I'm going to be a happy camper.

Happy Fourth everyone!

That was very nice, thank you. Good genes and not much tanning. Although I did smoke but quit 26 years ago. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

R.I.P.  Ennio Morricone, the world has lost another great person who brought so much beauty to this world. Hayley Westenra was only one of many great singers who were blessed to have worked with this legend. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I think we all used to smoke back then. 

I quit 24 years ago, I enjoyed it, but it had to be done. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

For fans of Mike Rowe, he's got a new show called Dirty Jobs: Rowe'd Tripp which starts tonight. He has teamed up with the original crew of Dirty Jobs reminiscing about their adventures. They've got an RV and will be revisiting some of the people that were on Dirty Jobs. 

Tuesday nights on the Discovery Channel. On his FB page he said it will go thru July. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size