Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

I just wrote a birthday wish to my mother and I mentioned toilet paper.  My dad keeps a collection of it.

You know things are up a creek when a kid is sending her mother birthday wishes and mentioning TP.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

52 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I just wrote a birthday wish to my mother and I mentioned toilet paper.  My dad keeps a collection of it.

You know things are up a creek when a kid is sending her mother birthday wishes and mentioning TP.

Or... You know the shit has hit the fan... 🙂 

• Laugh 6

1 hour ago, Booney said:

Or... You know the shit has hit the fan... 🙂 

Just guaranteeing my mouth isn't going to be washed out with soap, even if Mom is 3/4 across the continent away from me.

• Laugh 3

I woke up this morning hoping this whole thing was an April Fool’s joke on a global scale. 😕

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Hallmark showed the movie "Store In Love" earlier. "Sparks fly between a home shopping host and her rival when they compete for a promotion." 

It caught me by surprise when I saw the selling graphics on the left of the screen and it was a Hallmark movie. 

• Laugh 5

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Hallmark showed the movie "Store In Love" earlier. "Sparks fly between a home shopping host and her rival when they compete for a promotion." 

It caught me by surprise when I saw the selling graphics on the left of the screen and it was a Hallmark movie. 

Speaking of Hallmark....

I thought I'd let everyone know, especially @Bronx Babe and @DownTheShore....

(Hi, DTS!!!  I have really missed reading your posts.  So nice to hear from you.  Hope you are doing well and that your niece and nephew are well!!)

If you get Hallmark Drama Channel - which somehow just showed up on my TV at the beginning of this year - there are two really great movies on tonight starting at 7 ET.

They will bring your spirits up, and they're really not "Christmas movies."  

They were "real" movies on regular networks first,,,,long before Hallmark Channel was a thing. So these movies contain....wait for it.... plots (no pitches!), dialogue, actual characters, and really great acting.

At 7, The Ultimate Gift with James Garner (need I say more???), Lee Meriwether, Abigail Breslin, and some others.  I think it's a great movie.

At 9, A Season for Miracles (OK, yes, it's more of a Christmas movie,...but a really good one) with Laura Dern, Carla Cugino, Patty Duke, Kathy Baker, and some others.

Just hoping to lift up our spirits....hoping you all stay well!!

Edited by imisspuddy
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Hey, @imisspuddy, thanks for the Hallmark heads-up.  I've been reduced to watching Dr. Sanjay Gupta show us how to wipe down our groceries from the supermarket.  Fun times.

• Laugh 5

6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Once after I gave the cats treats Shana followed back to the kitchen as I went to put the bag up begging for more (she was a treat addict) and I told her no and if she kept on it would be a few days before she got more.  She huffed, spun around and as she was walking out looked over her shoulder into my eyes and gave one quick short Meow.  I told her I knew exactly what she called me and that added another day to treat restriction!  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Baby Boom coming up in a half hour (e.s.t.) on Turner Classic Movies.

A welcome distraction.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Baby Boom coming up in a half hour (e.s.t.) on Turner Classic Movies.

A welcome distraction.  

and in 9 months, at least my spouse says so 

my daughter claims its cheap entertainment 

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

My icons are not working.  But I love all your posts!  (will the Internet crash?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

and in 9 months, at least my spouse says so 

my daughter claims its cheap entertainment 

lol

The only thrill I care about now more than ever:  Haagen Daz.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

6 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Hey, @imisspuddy, thanks for the Hallmark heads-up.  I've been reduced to watching Dr. Sanjay Gupta show us how to wipe down our groceries from the supermarket.  Fun times.

I've had a hard time finding something to watch on tv that doesn't remind me of what's happening in the world. My go-to movies, like Avengers End Game and so many more, I'm staying away from. The cooking shows, happy animal shows, hallmark movies have been okay.

My local news reported that huge numbers of people are watching the movie "Contagion". I guess I'm not like most people. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I've had a hard time finding something to watch on tv that doesn't remind me of what's happening in the world. My go-to movies, like Avengers End Game and so many more, I'm staying away from. The cooking shows, happy animal shows, hallmark movies have been okay.

My local news reported that huge numbers of people are watching the movie "Contagion". I guess I'm not like most people. 

I know what you mean.   

I do find solace in Law & Order, however.  As a native Noo Yawker, it comforts me.  But I can only watch the ones with Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe.   

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I know what you mean.   

I do find solace in Law & Order, however.  As a native Noo Yawker, it comforts me.  But I can only watch the ones with Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe.   

Random story.

I was walking around DC one day (everybody sing!) and there were some tourists looking very carefully at someone who was wearing a suit and crossing the street.

"Is that...is that????"

"It's the guy from Hunt for Red October!"

It indeed was Fred Thompson, he of the movie's famous proclamation about Russian bathroom habits.  At the time he was a US Senator from Tennessee.  Eventually he quit the Senate to go be the new DA on Law and Order.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

You know you've lost your street cred as an Auntie when 4 of the kids who call you that (ages 5-11) don't want to visit not because of your small living space and 1 bathroom, nor because of the social distancing thing, but because you don't have wifi.

(I plug directly into the router.  Once my SIL explained to them what that meant they were appalled.)

• Laugh 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I'm with you TT.  My hubs watches the darkest, most violent stuff all the time.  The other day I sort of mini snapped, and said "find something happy and light or I'm throwing something through that television screen!".  He got the hint.  I'm on the laptop most often, and am getting better at tuning it out, but still.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm with you TT.  My hubs watches the darkest, most violent stuff all the time.  The other day I sort of mini snapped, and said "find something happy and light or I'm throwing something through that television screen!".  He got the hint.  I'm on the laptop most often, and am getting better at tuning it out, but still.

My husband likes dark stuff too -- that I find disturbing.  It doesn't bother him!  I watch "lala" programming.   Lately we have also been watching reruns of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Cheers" and getting lots of good laughs together, though!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

21 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Random story.

I was walking around DC one day (everybody sing!) and there were some tourists looking very carefully at someone who was wearing a suit and crossing the street.

"Is that...is that????"

"It's the guy from Hunt for Red October!"

It indeed was Fred Thompson, he of the movie's famous proclamation about Russian bathroom habits.  At the time he was a US Senator from Tennessee.  Eventually he quit the Senate to go be the new DA on Law and Order.

DUN DUN!

• Laugh 3

I've been watching "The Ten Commandments" tonight. The part where they stayed in their homes and let death and pestilence pass reminded me of our current situation. Passover and Easter just a few days away.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I've been watching "The Ten Commandments" tonight. The part where they stayed in their homes and let death and pestilence pass reminded me of our current situation. Passover and Easter just a few days away.

shit I missed it, my favorite movie!

another Hbird tradtion just gone 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, hummingbird said:

shit I missed it, my favorite movie!

another Hbird tradtion just gone 

I'm sure it will be on again, somewhere, between now and Easter, right?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I'm sure it will be on again, somewhere, between now and Easter, right?

nope 

I looked it's only shown once on TV,  in the past it's usually Palm Sunday or EAster Sunday 

only available on PPV Paramount has not allowed it to be streamed on Prime, or Nflix

• Useful 3
  • Sad 1

I've been ordering side dishes of grilled chicken from a nearby favorite Italian restaurant (they still deliver) but it's been getting expensive.  In a few days I need to go to the supermarket and replenish food supplies, mainly protein and pasta.  Needless to say, I'm terrified.  I'm going to use a fresh pair of gloves from an unused box of hair color but what about a mask?  Should I wear one?  I'm not crafty, have no scarves, and don't know how to put one together.  Been watching YouTube videos on this but they are not helping.  Also, how does one properly breathe in a mask?  I suffer from general anxiety and am prone to panic attacks;  just the thought that my oxygen might be curtailed is beyond frightening.  Can I calmly shop the grocery aisles without passing out?  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

I've been ordering side dishes of grilled chicken from a nearby favorite Italian restaurant (they still deliver) but it's been getting expensive.  In a few days I need to go to the supermarket and replenish food supplies, mainly protein and pasta.  Needless to say, I'm terrified.  I'm going to use a fresh pair of gloves from an unused box of hair color but what about a mask?  Should I wear one?  I'm not crafty, have no scarves, and don't know how to put one together.  Been watching YouTube videos on this but they are not helping.  Also, how does one properly breathe in a mask?  I suffer from general anxiety and am prone to panic attacks;  just the thought that my oxygen might be curtailed is beyond frightening.  Can I calmly shop the grocery aisles without passing out?  

I cut the bottom off an old pair of leggings to use as a face covering. I cut little slits to stick my ears through. I have another actual sewn mask from my sister's MIL but I wanted back-up. I am claustrophobic and can't even go snorkeling; but the mask is fine. No breathing issues.

Honestly, I would choose a mask over gloves. The problem is the virus getting into your mouth, nose or eyes. I have been going without make-up so when I do have to go out (including leaving my condo and walking to the mailroom), I can wash my face and hands when I get back in.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Lee, thanks so much for your feedback.  I'm claustrophobic as well, in addition to other nervous "disorders".

Haven't gone downstairs for my mail in over a week.  But I think I will this afternoon.

In the best of circumstances I've always washed my hands after returning from any public outing.  Been doing it for years so this is nothing new to me.  It's the masks that freak me out.....

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 5

I have this new COVID experience to relay and wonder what my fellow posters would think or have done in this new world:

I live in a NYC apartment building and have done my laundry early to avoid others.  A few days ago I go down to fetch my things from a dryer and see a couple, about my age, loading things into washers.  When they see me enter the room, they look shocked and upset.  Now, it is a large room,  and my dryer was 10+ feet away from them.  But the wife seems upset and they scurry out at her insistence.  I am shocked and confused. I didn't approach them or violate social distancing.  I gathered my things quickly and at the elevator saw them cowering down the hallway,  waiting for me to leave! 

I have been plagued with guilt that I caused this woman such distress by my mere presence!   In retrospect I should have left the room until they were done, but as I noted, it is a large room and I never violated their space.  Now, I will leave if someone else is in the room.

But surely,  if she is this petrified to be near others she should not be in a communal laundry room.  And she wore no mask.

I still feel awful about this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

It’s hard to adjust when you are living in a multi unit building (or anywhere really). There are only 23 units in my place so I  rarely encounter people. I took the garbage out yesterday and a neighbor was coming down the hall. I wasn’t sure what to do and held the door for him. I probably should have just let the door shut in his face and scurried away but that would have been rude. Next time I’m wearing a mask when I leave my place. People can think I’m weird. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

I have this new COVID experience to relay and wonder what my fellow posters would think or have done in this new world:

I live in a NYC apartment building and have done my laundry early to avoid others.  A few days ago I go down to fetch my things from a dryer and see a couple, about my age, loading things into washers.  When they see me enter the room, they look shocked and upset.  Now, it is a large room,  and my dryer was 10+ feet away from them.  But the wife seems upset and they scurry out at her insistence.  I am shocked and confused. I didn't approach them or violate social distancing.  I gathered my things quickly and at the elevator saw them cowering down the hallway,  waiting for me to leave! 

I have been plagued with guilt that I caused this woman such distress by my mere presence!   In retrospect I should have left the room until they were done, but as I noted, it is a large room and I never violated their space.  Now, I will leave if someone else is in the room.

But surely,  if she is this petrified to be near others she should not be in a communal laundry room.  And she wore no mask.

I still feel awful about this.

I'd say there's nothing you can do about it now so it's OK to let go of the guilt, and the next time you do laundry knock on the door first and ask if anyone's in there.  If there's an affirmative response, offer to remain outside until the person leaves.

• Like 4
  • Useful 4

While I’m waiting on my cloth mask from Etsy, I went on YouTube and learned how to make a mask with a paper towel, rubber bands and a stapler.  Not the greatest, but it will do till I go to the pharmacy tomorrow, then I’m home to stay !!

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Lady J said:

While I’m waiting on my cloth mask from Etsy, I went on YouTube and learned how to make a mask with a paper towel, rubber bands and a stapler.  Not the greatest, but it will do till I go to the pharmacy tomorrow, then I’m home to stay !!

I’ve seen a couple of good You Tube videos on how to make a mask using a bandanna, scarf or hankie and elastic hair ties. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

2 minutes ago, Booney said:

I’ve seen a couple of good You Tube videos on how to make a mask using a bandanna, scarf or hankie and elastic hair ties. 

It’s the same principle, I’m dubious about how effective any of them are, however , maybe when others see me in a mask they will stay the hell away. 🤞🤞

• Like 4