Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

JMO, but I think the panic will really start if either NYC pretty much shuts down or parts or all of the federal government starts doing the "everyone who works for us in the DC area work from home if you can" thing.  The media will flip right out.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Don't get me wrong : I'm not saying don't be concerned.  

But for example, in my office the "management" is panicking and stirring up the apprehension with worst case scenarios,  evacuation out of Manhattan, etc. 

I don't get anxious until I walk into that office! (Plus, there's no way I could sanely quarantine in my apartment for 14 days!)

Not to be a terrible person or anything, but perhaps consider taking a gym bag of clothes and other necessities that you can stash at the office just in case, heaven forbid, you get quarantined there?

I've wondered how the quarantining works in practice.  If you're a close contact to a positive it seems you quarantine at home, so far. But who knows?  I know the building where the man from Westchester County became ill is open and operating.  But preparation for anything is a good idea.

(Sorry to be gloomy on a Saturday! )

Perhaps if the federal government conveyed consistent and science based information regarding the coronavirus the media would latch onto that. 
I’m very concerned. My niece has a compromised immune system and my sister and son are prone to bad asthma flare ups. I’m not concerned for myself, but I would be worried if I had it and spread it to someone else. 
I get to fly to DC tomorrow. I got my disinfectant wipes all ready for the plane. 😁

• Like 2

I'm trying not to give in to a panic "situation" but need to go food shopping tomorrow  and have to admit I'm a bit nervous, even though, as a bit of a germ-o-phobe, I've always (during flu season) washed my hands when I've gotten back home after any sort of public contact.

• Like 1

If I'm quarantined I have gone wine shopping. Everything there was well stocked too! Oh, maybe this is when Q autoships would be handy!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

12 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

Perhaps if the federal government conveyed consistent and science based information regarding the coronavirus the media would latch onto that. 
I’m very concerned. My niece has a compromised immune system and my sister and son are prone to bad asthma flare ups. I’m not concerned for myself, but I would be worried if I had it and spread it to someone else. 
I get to fly to DC tomorrow. I got my disinfectant wipes all ready for the plane. 😁

CDC's website is a great resource.

Personally, I think we're still in the "Who knows what's going on" phase.

• Like 2

On a lighter note, I'm so excited because Svengoolie is airing a movie tonight that I have never seen before -- 1944's Cry of the Werewolf.

I've got Tostitos, salsa and lemonade at the ready.

This is my idea of a good time!  No, really! 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

32 minutes ago, Bronx Babe said:

Richard Quest, UGH.

The aviation guest expert they have on CNN all the time? What's he done this time?

• Laugh 1

On 3/9/2020 at 5:36 PM, Coffeecup said:

The aviation guest expert they have on CNN all the time? What's he done this time?

lol, yes, that one, with the oh-so-HORRIBLE voice.

Just didn't expect him to pop up, but he talked about the airline industry vis a vis the Corona virus.  Loves to pontificate.

1 hour ago, Bronx Babe said:

lol, yes, that one, with the oh-so-HORRIBLE voice.

Just didn't expect him to pop up, but he talked about the airline industry vis a vis the Corona virus.  Loves to pontificate.

Did you see Quest on the CNN New Year's Eve show? He dressed up in several different costumes, and he acted perfectly crazy. I don't think I can ever see him again without remembering that night. We were just talking about buffoons...

misc pics celebrities Richard Quest CNN New Year's Eve 2020 costume 1.jpg

• Laugh 2

@Coffeecup, no I (mercifully) missed that.  Richard is quite unique, lol.

And on the Corona virus front, I did a second Publix run this morning.  No toilet paper -- shelves were bare.  Luckily I always stock up in advance for the upcoming hurricane season.  

The cashiers wore latex gloves. 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 6:18 AM, JohnnyStar5 said:

Venting about the virus: move on if not interested!  I'm so tired of the media which, yes, it making this undue alarm and panic in large part. 

In NY the local news all screaming "double number of cases! rapid rise in cases!"  What they may or may not add is that virtually all positive test cases show mild symptoms or are asymptomatic.  People get the impression that testing positive means you end up in the hospital on a respirator.  We are testing more people, which is good, so of course the positives go up.

Also, due to aggressive testing, South Korea shows the mortality rate to be about 1.5% The WHO figure is skewed towards China and Iran where there was little testing of contacts. The City is doing a good job with Health Detectives locating a patient's contacts.

Sure, be practical and aware, but I honestly believe this has been an overly hyped media instigated "event."

Apologies if you're irked.

It's not about the mortality rate per se. It's about the number of hospital beds, and specifically ventilators, vs. the number of people who need them. And of course if too many people need ventilators, some people aren't going to get them, and the death rate will go up from that 0.5% (that's what it is in South Korea right now BTW, not 1.5%).

Keep in mind that the number of cases also goes up exponentially, not linearly. Research shows without quarantines, the number of cases roughly doubles in about six days. That means if we have 10K cases one day, we have 20K six days later, then 40K, 80K, 160K...doesn't take long for the number of hospital beds and testing capacity to be totally overwhelmed. That's why we need quarantine. A lot of people don't intuitively understand the concept of exponential growth and how it can go from fine to "HOLY SHIT" in a very short period of time.

In the U.S. we only have 116,000 ventilators. In the entire country. Y'all can do the math on how long it will take for those to all be filled if we don't quarantine.

That's why Italy is going the way of Wuhan -- not just with quarantines, they're starting to build temporary hospitals now too. They literally have no other choice.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Iconic sound bite, but not necessarily true right now.  I have to fear having my immune-compromised, COPD suffering, "elderly" husband becoming afflicted with this virus.  He is the trifecta of risk.  I don't spend my day in actual fear, but since it has and will severely restrict our activities, yeah, it's on my mind pretty much constantly.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5

39 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Iconic sound bite, but not necessarily true right now.  I have to fear having my immune-compromised, COPD suffering, "elderly" husband becoming afflicted with this virus.  He is the trifecta of risk.  I don't spend my day in actual fear, but since it has and will severely restrict our activities, yeah, it's on my mind pretty much constantly.

It's on my mind all the time too. I'm in that same trifecta of risk myself. Hell yes I'm afraid.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

I think I just meant that I could deal with the concerns and fears about the virus if it wasn't compounded by the panic buying.  I don’t mean to make light of it.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

I think I just meant that I could deal with the concerns and fears about the virus if it wasn't compounded by the panic buying.  I don’t mean to make light of it.

The panic buying really does add to everyone's stress. Even if you were trying to avoid succumbing to the panic, you start thinking you should go shopping and stockpile stuff too, before it's all gone. Of course all the items will be restocked, but it doesn't help when people are waiting for the new stock to be put on the shelves, and buy it all within an hour. My Target today was all out of hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, liquid hand soap, cold and flu medicines, toilet paper, paper towels, and bread.

• Like 4

People just need to calm down. I have friends in Seattle who are going to work, going to stores, they are all fine. I completely understand that there are people in high risk categories who need to be extra careful. But everyone else, please calm down. I really need some toilet paper in the normal course of my toilet paper buying schedule.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Actually...You were not making light of it.

Here is an expansion of FDR's statement...it is meant to encourage people...

Hope is what we need:

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and of vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. And I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

The panic buying really does add to everyone's stress. Even if you were trying to avoid succumbing to the panic, you start thinking you should go shopping and stockpile stuff too, before it's all gone. Of course all the items will be restocked, but it doesn't help when people are waiting for the new stock to be put on the shelves, and buy it all within an hour. My Target today was all out of hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, liquid hand soap, cold and flu medicines, toilet paper, paper towels, and bread.

^^This.^^

For me, I ain't gonna run out of food anytime soon and I've got enough of things like soap and paper products and whatnot, but then I start thinking that it would be nice to have some more cheese and salsa, and a couple more frozen meals and maybe some salad and a package of ham and voila, here comes the panic.  Plus if I wanted to get delivery from a local store the earliest I could get it is Wednesday and today is Sunday.  They're usually never this slammed.

Although I could (and will) also go the route of getting takeout or delivery and supporting small businesses.  I can think of half a dozen places off the top of my head.  Unfortunately I don't think all of them will survive the economic hit they're taking.  I also have no qualms with getting a couple pizzas delivered and freezing most of the slices for later.

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 3

I just visited one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in Times Square yesterday afternoon.  The bartender had been worried for a couple weeks, hearing rumors of shows shutting down as attendance was off. Along with tourists they cater to the working theater folk.

She said rather than shutdown completely they will close a few days and cutback on hours open as long as practical. 

I wanted to give them some business so had chicken fajitas and a few Margaritas plus left a nice tip. It won't be easy for them.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, hummingbird said:

if you are looking for something to binge instead of the news 

recommend McMillions documentary on the McDonalds game fraud, we watched the  6 eps yesterday,  you couldn't make it up as fiction 

I was just coming here to suggest the same thing. Makes me want to work for the FBI.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hummingbird said:

amazing show right?

we were sitting there, you couldn't make this up if you wanted to 

I’m so glad a coworker mentioned it to me. I have the last two episodes to watch before the end of the free HBO weekend. But first I need to find some damn toilet paper. Grrr

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Last Sunday I flew to D.C. for work and came back on Friday. I am so glad I flew back then. Reagan was pretty empty and MSP wasn't too bad. One more day and it would have been a completely different story. I will telework for a while just in case.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I received a phone call this a.m. (Sunday) saying our office will be closed until further notice.  My office is located not far from Montgomery County (the epicenter of PA's cases).  It's kind of not clear...some things closed...some open...some optional.  Schools all closed.  King of Prussia mall still open (up to tenants to close or not)...not sure if this has changed in recent hours or not.  It was such an eerie feeling last night to drive by empty movie theater parking lots and other places as well. 

I've been home the entire weekend, however, had to run out last night for a while.  I did make two quick stops as different supermarkets...both had what I needed, however lots of empty shelves as I expected.  The one large store had almost no frozen fruit or veggies left (a few scattered bags here and there). I didn't expect the different freezer sections to be so bare.  I had to take a peek down the paper aisle (I didn't need any TP, but I just had to look).  As you can guess, all gone...no paper products like TP, paper towels, tissues.  Some packs of napkins and paper plates.  I really felt for all the employees.  My heart goes out to all of them.  I know what retail work is like (having done that work in the past), so I could empathize with the stress and long hours they are dealing with.  I was watching this one guy moving a large wooden pallet of bottled water...he looked so tired (I felt like hugging him).  Another guy nearby was mopping up a spill...a trail of something must have leaked from someone's shopping cart and left this long line of liquid.  I smiled at him and he smiled back and said..."it's been like this all day." 

The woman cashier was so pleasant and was cracking jokes.  We talked for a bit while she was scanning my stuff.  She said she didn't mind working with all the chaos, etc., and she said she hoped she could put a smile on people's faces.  She asked if I knew if the nearby restaurants/bars were still open (she had heard some were going to close).  I didn't know the answer to that, however, the nearest State store was open until 9 -- she said she was going to make sure she made it there no matter what.  Here's hoping she did make it in time, went home, and had a relaxing, restful evening.🍷 🍸🍹

• Like 4

All NYC movie theaters, bars and restaurants will now be closed. Restaurants can open for take out and delivery,  so at least some workers are there.

Painful, but necessary. Hopefully the grocery stores will get back to normal so shoppers can go in quickly for what they need (emphasis on NEED) and leave. Having to wait on a long line doesn't help with the problem! 

• Like 3

I'm an overthinker.  Overthinkers and pandemics don't mix.  I placed an online grocery order with my local store for pick-up.  I didn't want to trudge through the store, getting all <<exposed>> lol, then started considering the (probably) 2 or 3 people that will be handling my order, bagging, etc., and wonder if I did myself any good, lol.  Husband said "well, you can just wipe down the cans 'n stuff".  Me: 🙄

I'm going to need to develop some coping mechanisms, lol.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm an overthinker.  Overthinkers and pandemics don't mix.  I placed an online grocery order with my local store for pick-up.  I didn't want to trudge through the store, getting all <<exposed>> lol, then started considering the (probably) 2 or 3 people that will be handling my order, bagging, etc., and wonder if I did myself any good, lol.  Husband said "well, you can just wipe down the cans 'n stuff".  Me: 🙄

I hope your order goes through. I had one placed for first thing Saturday morning and it was cancelled in it's entirety.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I overthink, too.  In times like these, I consider it to be a virtue....but a recent experience with an Amazon order for something I can only get through them caught me between a rock and a hard place, with the whole thing spiraling out of control, my paranoia at freakish levels and all of it consumed half my day before my husband - who was caught between worried about me and laughing at me - said "just wear disposable gloves, don't touch your face, then wipe everything down and then wash your hands for 20 seconds".

I had made it into so much more!  I'm not making light of people's predicaments here, but I can totally see how someone with OCD struggles just to get through a day.  It was brutal.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Jaded said:

I hope your order goes through. I had one placed for first thing Saturday morning and it was cancelled in it's entirety.

Well, it went through, but poorly.  First, they "didn't see" the 2nd page of the order, so didn't get it, of course not realizing that until home.  After returning from second trip to retrieve page 2, realized that none of the dairy was present.  Called back again, oops!, drove back a 3rd time.

It was a bona fide cluster fu*k.  This is going to be character building stuff, lol.  #angermanagement

eta - I know the staff is balls-to-the-walls busy.  The parking lot was crazy full, the power had gone out and they lost their phone system, so even though I placed the order yesterday, I know they were challenged.  Hopefully they will also smooth out.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Surprise 3

The IRS has extended the filing deadline for 2019 taxes to July 15.

No one should notice the irony that I'm posting this.  It's nothing but a coincidence.*

(*If you believe that, I've got oceanfront property in Montana to sell you.)

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

DISCLAIMER:  This is not political.

Was watching a certain cable show and one of their hosts (the title of the program is numerical) boasted several days ago "I'm not worried about all this.  I'm going to take the subway and sit next to a Chinese person.  I don't care"

This guy has always been a d-bag.  

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

It is interesting that a month ago restaurant business was down in Chinatown and everyone feared the breakout would be there. Turns out it was not even close to NY's "hotspot."

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

It is interesting that a month ago restaurant business was down in Chinatown and everyone feared the breakout would be there. Turns out it was not even close to NY's "hotspot."

Looks like your nightmare may come to pass....be glad you bought your wine!  I got a text alert a couple of hours ago about di Blasio making a decision in the next 48 hours about NYC "sheltering in place".......

• Like 1

Been monitoring that all day. The Mayor wants it but the Governor says no...so far. There is already almost no one around so maybe it's a good thing to just go for it.

• Like 1

Around here in the DC Metro area, the number of people at the stores has dropped a lot in comparison to over the weekend and quite a few people who have the ability have already started to telework, while others have already decided to just stay home.  But the sense I've got is that as every day goes by those who are out running errands or going to appointments are doing so under the impression that very day could be the last day before "Stay the eff home except for the following reasons" direct order comes down.  Maryland and DC are being much more aggressive in their actions so far in comparison to Virginia, though, so unless the Virginia governor shocks everyone MD or DC would be likely to go first.

But people are taking advantage of the "go out and get fresh air" recommendation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

This guy has always been a d-bag.  

I want to clarify -- it's that younger tall one with the perpetually arrogant smirk who sits in the center seat but you probably already knew who I was referring to.

29 minutes ago, hummingbird said:

namby pamby phrase

lets use real words and say "stay at home" "quarantine"

I think shelter in place implies that you are keeping yourself safe from outside dangers vs quarantine that implies you are the danger. Either way; stay home! I saw way too many cars on the road during my walk.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

I think shelter in place implies that you are keeping yourself safe from outside dangers vs quarantine that implies you are the danger. Either way; stay home! I saw way too many cars on the road during my walk.

That's a good way to put it.  Also, quarantine is don't even think about leaving.

I know someone who is in quarantine right now because he had contact with someone who had contact with another person who was diagnosed with the virus.  He's halfway through his 14-day stuck at home period; he has no choice but to stay home and being a responsible person he will.  Me, I'm sheltering in place but if I *want* I can leave to walk around the neighborhood, go to the store, or the like. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

5 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

The IRS has extended the filing deadline for 2019 taxes to July 15.

No one should notice the irony that I'm posting this.  It's nothing but a coincidence.*

(*If you believe that, I've got oceanfront property in Montana to sell you.)

Nope.    irs-to-extend-tax-filing-deadline-why-file-taxes-now-2020

"The tax-filing deadline will remain April 15, but the IRS will waive penalties and interest on tax payments for 90 days"

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

We're under a mandatory shelter in place here in the SF Bay Area. I had to go to the local market this morning because they were already out of stuff yesterday at around 10am. It was dead compared to yesterday, when it was a madhouse. I was also surprised to find my favorite coffeehouse still open, although they'd pulled all the chairs so people wouldn't linger. All non-essential businesses are supposed to be closed. My gym is refunding March as they won't reopen until the SiP is over on 4/7.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1