Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

S*** Southern Women Say in a Hurricane (as suggested by Southern women).

It was filmed last year but works just as well this year if you need a laugh while wondering what Dorian is doing (there is some language, and it gets going at 00:35):

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Laugh 5

Not for nothing, but this Today Show Welcome Back to Hoda was way, way, way over the top.

I have no problem with the woman,  I kind of like her, but they treated it like The Second Coming.

The ratings without her must have gone down the crapper.  Hope she renegotiated her contract. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

Not for nothing, but this Today Show Welcome Back to Hoda was way, way, way over the top.

I have no problem with the woman,  I kind of like her, but they treated it like The Second Coming.

The ratings without her must have gone down the crapper.  Hope she renegotiated her contract. 

saw like 2 mins at the gym

they really pander and go after the mother demo don't they 

should go back to the just 2 hours and do a news show ,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JohnnyStar5 said:

We thought the same thing in this house!  Like you, we like her well enough, but everyone touching her, pinching her arm and saying "she's real, she's really back" got on my last nerve!  After the main news stories and after Al Roker pinched her arm and said "she's real!", I had had enough!    Then, she was saying how she woke up at 3:15 a.m. and was so excited because she'd be able to come back to work and be with her "family". 

Meanwhile, I got up at 6:00 a.m. and thought "damn!  why can't I have one more day off?"  LOL!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Plus, Hoda has the great fortune to work for a huge corporation with a very generous paid leave policy.

Even with state and federal leave laws, millions of women (and men for that matter) don't get 5 months off with pay, your job waiting for you.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

It was filmed last year but works just as well this year if you need a laugh while wondering what Dorian is doing (there is some language, and it gets going at 00:35):

Funny!  I liked "hurrication" and buying baby wipes to keep clean (you know where).

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

19 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

I totally related to the "those cookies are for the hurricane!" I adapted it to our local weather scares when ice and snow are predicted in winter. Sure, grab those cookies! We might be iced in for days!

A few years ago when the predictions were we'd be snowed in for 3 days, my friends bought 5 packages of OREO's and 6 bags of CHEETOS. (among other things, of course,) 

Disclaimer: In no way do I want to minimize what Dorian survivors are going through. Just wanted to laugh a minute at the silliness of human behavior. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I totally related to the "those cookies are for the hurricane!" I adapted it to our local weather scares when ice and snow are predicted in winter. Sure, grab those cookies! We might be iced in for days!

A few years ago when the predictions were we'd be snowed in for 3 days, my friends bought 5 packages of OREO's and 6 bags of CHEETOS. (among other things, of course,) 

Disclaimer: In no way do I want to minimize what Dorian survivors are going through. Just wanted to laugh a minute at the silliness of human behavior. 

I too do not want to minimize the tragedy that hurricanes bring-------but cheetos and oreos sounds like a great time to me. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

Whether it's tropical weather or a snowstorm, if you are expecting to be hunkered down for a few days you can buy all the "healthy" food you want but you'll end up first eating all the salty and sugary stuff lying around. 

Back when I was a regular housesitter for someone I had to shovel out of a couple biblical-level snowstorms.  In addition to the salad and the chocolate stash, I developed a tradition of acquiring a bunch of food from a local Thai restaurant, partly because it was good comfort food in between the rounds of shoveling but also to support a local small business that was soon to lose business because of the snow.

• Like 6

Still cannot believe it.  We dodged the bullet.  Unbelievable.  South Florida was spared.  Unfortunately the Bahamas were not.

Here in Boca there was not even a single, solitary breeze.  

But this should not induce complacency, because there are still two months of hurricane season left.  

Convinced of impending doom, I was nervously watching the dinosaur movie marathon on TCM yesterday to take my mind off it all.    "The Valley of Gwangi" was particularly diverting.   In addition to the titular big lizard, there was James Franciscus, always easy on the eyes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Still cannot believe it.  We dodged the bullet.  Unbelievable.  South Florida was spared.  Unfortunately the Bahamas were not.

Here in Boca there was not even a single, solitary breeze.  

But this should not induce complacency, because there are still two months of hurricane season left.  

Convinced of impending doom, I was nervously watching the dinosaur movie marathon on TCM yesterday to take my mind off it all.    "The Valley of Gwangi" was particularly diverting.   In addition to the titular big lizard, there was James Franciscus, always easy on the eyes.

Hi, Bronx Babe 

Absolutely heartbroken for the Bahamas!  But so glad to hear that you are fine!! I've been thinking about you with every weather update I heard.  So glad to read your post.

Edited by imisspuddy · Reason: Agree with you on James!!
  • Like 2

Has anyone shopped from NorthStyle?  I was going to order until I saw it was $14 shipping for TWO items!  (One of which was a scarf, so not heavy.).  Grrrr.

Do they ever offer coupon codes?

25 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Has anyone shopped from NorthStyle?  I was going to order until I saw it was $14 shipping for TWO items!  (One of which was a scarf, so not heavy.).  Grrrr.

I get their catalogue but have never ordered anything. Some nice things but between their prices and s/h cost, I haven’t been tempted to buy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coupon code.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I bought a sweater from them a few years ago, and it pilled like crazy. It wasn’t cheap, and the shipping is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

I've shopped there a few times. Yes, the shipping is awful, and I haven't seen coupon codes. But they do have percentage-off sales, such as 15% off or 20% off. These discounts are not sitewide. Sometimes the discounts are just for sale items, and sometimes on just one category, such as discounts on all knit tops they had last month.  I got on their e-mail list so I could get notifications of the discounts. Today they have a tier of incremental discounts: 20% off orders of $120+, 15% off orders of $100, 10% off orders of $80. I can't remember whether they ever have a free shipping day, maybe they do.

If you like those types of classic clothes, I'd recommend shopping at Appleseed's instead. You get better deals. (I like their clothes much better than Northstyle anyway.) They have frequent discounts. Also, every time I buy something, they send me an e-mail offering me $20 off my next order of minimum $40. For everybody, today they have free shipping on orders of minimum $75, promo code AP9F1. https://appleseeds.blair.com/

• Useful 4

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts on NorthStyle.  I don't like all of their stuff, but I saw a really cute "leaf" tunic and a red/black buffalo plaid scarf, both of which I LOVE.  Will check out Appleseed's too.

• Like 2

https://poshmark.com/brand/NorthStyle

3 hours ago, Thumper said:

never heard of it, but I don;t get catalogs anymore looks like Chadwicks and or Soft Surroundings 

7 hours ago, imisspuddy said:

Hi, Bronx Babe 

Absolutely heartbroken for the Bahamas!  But so glad to hear that you are fine!! I've been thinking about you with every weather update I heard.  So glad to read your post.

Hi, @imisspuddy  Yes, terrible for the Bahamas.    

You are very kind.  Thanks so much.   We really did get lucky.  This time.

On a lighter note, remember James from that 1960's t.v. series Mr. Novak?  I never had a teacher who looked like that, lol.

Edited by Bronx Babe
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Hi, @imisspuddy  Yes, terrible for the Bahamas.    

You are very kind.  Thanks so much.   We really did get lucky.  This time.

On a lighter note, remember James from that 1960's t.v. series Mr. Novak?  I never had a teacher who looked like that, lol.

Alas, neither did I....

Edited by imisspuddy · Reason: Although, Mr. Jones in 8th gr was cute! LOL
  • Laugh 1

Greetings from Sweden! Mr. Booney and I are on another one of our excellent adventures! This time it’s a Baltic Sea cruise - 8 countries in 15 days. We started the trip yesterday in Stockholm, a city of one million people, spread out over 14 islands which are connected by 57 bridges.

Today we had a tour that took us first to the Vasa Museum. The Vasa was a wooden warship built by the Swedes in the 1620s. Poorly designed and too heavy, it sunk on its maiden voyage a few hundred yards from shore. More than 300 years later, it was located and recovered in a remarkably preserved state. After further preservation, it’s now the centerpiece of the museum.

557D3E42-6F25-4A0F-A8B6-C9DEEDF0554A.thumb.jpeg.22236052b2539a3ceb4c8ea2c910dfa3.jpeg

We also did a small boat cruise as part of the tour and got to see some of the Stockholm shoreline.

E78C48A6-A2F7-4A87-BB3C-7F2CD2E60221.thumb.jpeg.b509aebd64f1207b280a5b1329bd40fc.jpeg

34BCAF4A-B0E4-4EE6-9F82-38D39EC971A9.thumb.jpeg.997e98c1ddafd4cda254c74c9ce2ea41.jpeg

The Royal Palace, residence of King Gustav.

84C0B638-8BA2-4537-AFC7-D91D3B778DCF.thumb.jpeg.2476c6e7c43ea810ee7222ca5b183f0d.jpeg

The city of Stockholm is part of the Stockholm archipelago, made up of over 20,000 islands. Many of the islands are uninhabited, some have vacation homes, most can only be reached by boat. Cruising out of the city through the archipelago was awesome to see.

7905C470-6C06-4FF7-9600-F1A9656B39A7.thumb.jpeg.b27cac80674a0bf443581e13ed24b903.jpeg

Tomorrow we’ll be in Helsinki, Finland!

Edited by Booney
  • Like 16
  • Useful 1

Looks wonderful, Booney!  Thanks for sharing the photos.  We may have to do that trip in the future, too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Booney said:

Greetings from Sweden! Mr. Booney and I are on another one of our excellent adventures! This time it’s a Baltic Sea cruise - 8 countries in 15 days. We started the trip yesterday in Stockholm, a city of one million people, spread out over 14 islands which are connected by 57 bridges.

Today we had a tour that took us first to the Vasa Museum. The Vasa was a wooden warship built by the Swedes in the 1620s. Poorly designed and too heavy, it sunk on its maiden voyage a few hundred yards from shore. More than 300 years later, it was located and recovered in a remarkably preserved state. After further preservation, it’s now the centerpiece of the museum.

557D3E42-6F25-4A0F-A8B6-C9DEEDF0554A.thumb.jpeg.22236052b2539a3ceb4c8ea2c910dfa3.jpeg

We also did a small boat cruise as part of the tour and got to see some of the Stockholm shoreline.

E78C48A6-A2F7-4A87-BB3C-7F2CD2E60221.thumb.jpeg.b509aebd64f1207b280a5b1329bd40fc.jpeg

34BCAF4A-B0E4-4EE6-9F82-38D39EC971A9.thumb.jpeg.997e98c1ddafd4cda254c74c9ce2ea41.jpeg

The Royal Palace, residence of King Gustav.

84C0B638-8BA2-4537-AFC7-D91D3B778DCF.thumb.jpeg.2476c6e7c43ea810ee7222ca5b183f0d.jpeg

The city of Stockholm is part of the Stockholm archipelago, made up of over 20,000 islands. Many of the islands are uninhabited, some have vacation homes, most can only be reached by boat. Cruising out of the city through the archipelago was awesome to see.

7905C470-6C06-4FF7-9600-F1A9656B39A7.thumb.jpeg.b27cac80674a0bf443581e13ed24b903.jpeg

Tomorrow we’ll be in Helsinki, Finland!

So beautiful!  Thanks for sharing the pictures!!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Booney said:

Greetings from Sweden! Mr. Booney and I are on another one of our excellent adventures! This time it’s a Baltic Sea cruise - 8 countries in 15 days. We started the trip yesterday in Stockholm, a city of one million people, spread out over 14 islands which are connected by 57 bridges

Thanks for sharing @Booney! Everything is so fascinating and beautiful! 

One thing I notice in these photos is how everything looks clean. Is it really, or is it from a distance? What I mean is I don't see trash on the street, a plastic grocery bag in a tree, nor graffiti. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasTiffany said:

Thanks for sharing @Booney! Everything is so fascinating and beautiful! 

One thing I notice in these photos is how everything looks clean. Is it really, or is it from a distance? What I mean is I don't see trash on the street, a plastic grocery bag in a tree, nor graffiti. 

It really is very clean!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Pics look great Booney. Is this like a river cruise or a regular large cruise ship?  I’ve been thinking a cruise down the river Rhine would be cool. Have fun. Eat some good food for us😋.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AuntCarol said:

Pics look great Booney. Is this like a river cruise or a regular large cruise ship?  I’ve been thinking a cruise down the river Rhine would be cool. Have fun. Eat some good food for us😋.

It’s an ocean cruise with Viking, but their ships are smaller than most of the other lines - 960 passengers vs. 5,000 on some of the mega ships. All of their ships are spacious and have the same beautiful design. We’re on the Viking Sky.

We’re eating enough food for all of you here and will have the tight waistbands to prove it by the end of the cruise!

We had a motor coach tour of Helsinki this morning, are back on the ship for some lunch (more food!) and are heading out shortly for our afternoon tour, Helsinki by Sea. I’ll post pics tonight. 🛳

• Like 10

@Booney I love how you share your travel adventures with us!  Always wanted to visit Scandinavia -- I know this might sound goofy, but since childhood I've thought of that area as a sort of fairyland, kind of magical....(of course, watching Danny Kaye as Hans Christian Anderson only added to the fantasy, lol)  "Thumbelina, Thumbelina, tiny little thing, Thumbelina dance, Thumbelina sing!"

Okay, I'll see myself out now!

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

@LeeDenny

my bean receipe,  I sort of took this from some other bean receipes

1 can of 

Black Beans

Kidney Beans or northern beans 

Trader Joes Cuban Black Beans 

can of chopped tomatoes 

chopped onions + garlic

Jalapeno, if you want the seeds to make it hotter go head 

parsley

add cumin and chili powder to your taste 

stir into the IP and cook on the Beans setting for 30 mins

check it after releasing NOTE it will be soupy,  I take my potato masher and mash it up, then taste , if I think it needs a bit longer  will cook for  5 mins,

this will thicken up considerabley after cooking so don't over cook once you make it you will figure out how long it needs to cook.  

serve with avocado/guac , cheese, onions, and corn chips , cilantro etc 

Edited by hummingbird · Reason: update ingredients
  • Like 4

We had a fun day in Helskinki. Our motor coach tour this morning took us to a number of interesting landmarks in this capital city of 600,000. One of the sights in Senate Square was this beautiful Lutheran church (the majority of Finns are Lutheran):

1FA63856-36D5-42F7-B88D-90F93207CE3F.jpeg.6454af60a0eb66585e21a27dcf9e0532.jpeg

We visited a monument to Jean Sebelius, Finland’s most famous composer. The artist designed a sculpture comprised of steel pipes which were supposed to represent Sebelius’s music:

FD91B305-A30A-4A50-813E-3EB1480BD7C2.jpeg.8369aba3c510211c0aca0eec5427e203.jpeg

Many Finns were outraged that Sebelius’s likeness was not included in the monument, so the artist succumbed to pressure and created another piece beside the pipes:

E7AD11D1-6FEB-4FDD-919C-A906C850253B.jpeg.ff3a7a8782e08bfd4da367ef2acbcd29.jpeg

This is one of three harbors in the downtown area and includes Market Square, a lively area of vendor tents selling everything from clothing and wooden items, to fruits, vegetables and fish.

D1806DBA-D84C-4EED-8330-463B114A75FC.thumb.jpeg.336f2b5ce93687ff99182e878e9bc13b.jpeg

3B2DB3BB-7E8D-4561-B3EC-29BE699D1DC4.thumb.jpeg.01c5e18a1a61f1f93c72fb9bf3969a64.jpeg

Old Market Hall is a building in Market Square featuring a variety of food and beverage vendors. Finns have interesting tastes - lots or reindeer, elk and bear meat products.

640B7B1C-FA57-454D-A035-DCF54ADEA76D.thumb.jpeg.3aae1e05584a1e0d88c8023e457fbaa6.jpeg

• Like 9

7D5EF639-A8A2-4CFC-B7A8-6B299F72D9FA.jpeg.bf27612ea5a6898548d37c843544bc07.jpeg

Our Helskinki by Sea cruise in the afternoon was lovely, as we went out into the Baltic, viewing Helsinki’s coastline and many islands. We saw a variety of summer homes, and this one had a sauna house on the shoreline. Finns love their saunas - there are 2 million saunas in Finland!

64CFE82D-F2C4-4FB9-86E4-4E46142C55E5.thumb.jpeg.13af4a572f3b14f0e6af929bc992f21e.jpeg

It’s 10:00 p.m. now, and we’re on our way to St. Petersburg, Russia where we’ll spend two days.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Booney said:

7D5EF639-A8A2-4CFC-B7A8-6B299F72D9FA.jpeg.bf27612ea5a6898548d37c843544bc07.jpeg

Our Helskinki by Sea cruise in the afternoon was lovely, as we went out into the Baltic, viewing Helsinki’s coastline and many islands. We saw a variety of summer homes, and this one had a sauna house on the shoreline. Finns love their saunas - there are 2 million saunas in Finland!

64CFE82D-F2C4-4FB9-86E4-4E46142C55E5.thumb.jpeg.13af4a572f3b14f0e6af929bc992f21e.jpeg

It’s 10:00 p.m. now, and we’re on our way to St. Petersburg, Russia where we’ll spend two days.

Please tell me you'll see some Faberge while in St. Petersburg!!  The Hermitage, maybe?

Your pictures are lovely and interesting, too!  Thanks so much for sharing them!

** and bring us back some canned bear meat, too!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Please tell me you'll see some Faberge while in St. Petersburg!!  The Hermitage, maybe?

Your pictures are lovely and interesting, too!  Thanks so much for sharing them!

** and bring us back some canned bear meat, too!

We have tours of both scheduled! Our Hermitage tour is tomorrow morning, and then a panoramic tour of the city in the afternoon. Our Faberge museum tour is on Thursday morning, and then a canal tour of the city Thursday afternoon. We’ve got a full two days and the only thing we’re not looking forward to is going through Russian immigration tomorrow morning (something we don’t have to do in any of the other ports)! We’ve been warned by the cruise staff that the immigration agents are “stern.” What fun.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 3

12 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Yes, did you buy any bear meat?

I managed to resist the temptation. Mr. Booney was eyeing the reindeer sausage though. 😊

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

@hummingbird Thanks for the recipe. I especially love refried black beans.

I'm not much of a soup eater. Probably too much as a kid with my mom throwing anything into a pot for soup. Two types of leftover pasta with leftover rice? Sure. Leftover hamburgers and porkchops? Why not. I don't think I ever had "normal" soup as a kid.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, LeeDenny said:

@hummingbird Thanks for the recipe. I especially love refried black beans.

I'm not much of a soup eater. Probably too much as a kid with my mom throwing anything into a pot for soup. Two types of leftover pasta with leftover rice? Sure. Leftover hamburgers and porkchops? Why not. I don't think I ever had "normal" soup as a kid.

You are welcome 

I love soup 

lousy food in childhood definitely informs our adult eating 

i was forced to eat raisins as a kid and everyone knows not to serve them to me IN ANY FORM 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

7 hours ago, Booney said:

I managed to resist the temptation. Mr. Booney was eyeing the reindeer sausage though. 😊

I'm surprised about the bear meat. Certain bears in the US are endangered. I guess in Finland they've got plenty of bears. 

The reindeer sausage would probably be like venison so didn't sound so weird to me. 

Your Hermitage Tour sounds exciting!  

Edited by TexasTiffany
  • Like 4

@hummingbird, thanks for the soup recipe. As a kid I didn't like soup much. As an adult, I want a hearty nutritious meal that I can throw in my pressure cooker and it turns out delicious and easy. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Just have to ask @booney, seen any shopping channels?

Lol, I’ve been blissfully free of shopping channels on this trip and have not been tempted to watch online.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

@hummingbird, thanks for the soup recipe. As a kid I didn't like soup much. As an adult, I want a hearty nutritious meal that I can throw in my pressure cooker and it turns out delicious and easy. 

this isn't really soup more dip to eat with yummy stuff 🙂

• Like 1