Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Small Talk: Take A Break From Shop(ping) Talk

10 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

made us act mean

To be fair, it doesn't make anyone act mean.  What it does is enable those so inclined to be anonymously mean, and provides the outlet.  I call 'em keyboard warriors.  It'll take some time and teaching to re-learn manners and social interaction via digital device I guess.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

To be fair, it doesn't make anyone act mean.  What it does is enable those so inclined to be anonymously mean, and provides the outlet.  I call 'em keyboard warriors.  It'll take some time and teaching to re-learn manners and social interaction via digital device I guess.

There's the anonymous mean, and then there are people who are saying mean things while using their real names.   Plus there's the subcategory of someone being mean and it gets filmed and posted on the internet, sometimes by that person because they're proud of themselves at the moment and forget it may backfire on them (loss of employment, for example).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bronx Babe said:

Archie

LOL, the royal baby name made me think of the Archie comic books. Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Reggie and the rest of the gang. If Meghan and Harry had that list in mind, at least they didn't pick Jughead.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

12 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

LOL, the royal baby name made me think of the Archie comic books. Archie, Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Reggie and the rest of the gang. If Meghan and Harry had that list in mind, at least they didn't pick Jughead.

You’re not the only one who thought of it. I read that Archie Comics posted the words “I’m baby” on its official Twitter account.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

20 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

...and all I thought about was Archie Bunker!!

I did too, and they are actually doing a reboot of the show.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

Did we discuss Digestives (cookies) in this forum?  I just had to report that I found some with dark chocolate coating on one side and they were FABULOUS!!!!  O.M.G.   😀

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Did we discuss Digestives (cookies) in this forum?  I just had to report that I found some with dark chocolate coating on one side and they were FABULOUS!!!!  O.M.G.   😀

I love Digestives!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

OK..I give up.

What are Digestives?  Is that the brand?

I do, however, drink digestivo's.......!

Not the brand name but they're not-too-sweet cookie/crackers formally known as Digestive Biscuits; they originated in the UK.  The texture can be a bit hard to explain but they're in between a soft cookie and a standard cracker.  You can find them in grocery stores and online.  Up in Canada, I would wolf down the Dare brand.  From what I gather, the main brand available in the States is McVitie's.

*Wonders if they would work with Amaretto*

Edited by letusprocrastinate
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

12 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Not the brand, but it's a not-too-sweet cookie/cracker formally known as a Digestive Biscuit; it originated in the UK.  You can find them in grocery stores and online.  Up in Canada, I would wolf down the Dare brand.  From what I gather, the main brand available in the States is McVitie's.

So, when you say Dare brand....I know exactly what you mean!  You're in Dc or NoVa, right?  You can find Dare all over.......I like the little packets of these cookies, although by Bahlsen.  They are more like crackers with a creamy cocoa filling.  The upside of these is that my husband absolutely hates them.....more for me!  And they're inexpensive, too!

image.png.bf90fd8bc77b879c5d2fadfd5526f800.png

And, yes!  Amaretto would be good!  I am a sucker for limoncello and Molinari in the summertime!  And Fernet-Branca, when I can find it!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, letusprocrastinate said:

Not the brand name but they're not-too-sweet cookie/crackers formally known as Digestive Biscuits; they originated in the UK.  The texture can be a bit hard to explain but they're in between a soft cookie and a standard cracker.  You can find them in grocery stores and online.  Up in Canada, I would wolf down the Dare brand.  From what I gather, the main brand available in the States is McVitie's.

Yes, I just checked.  Mine were McVitie's wheat biscuit (cookie) with dark chocolate.  Yum!  Since they are wheat, I am sure they are very healthy. 😜

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Actually "Archie" sounds very British to me, and from both ends of their societal strata -- I can see the name working for a "Colonel Blimp" type (you know, the gentlemen's club "pip, pip, eh wot!" sort) and then with a bloke on EastEnders, lol.

• Like 4

Cary Grant was born in the U.K., and his real name was Archibald Alexander Leach. Yep, Archie Leach.

• Like 3

If anyone knows the chef Nick Stellino from PBS, he's offering a free cookbook (PDF format) to celebrate his anniversary with PBS:

https://createtv.com/Nick

I've always enjoyed his show and his sense humor.

-------

Just an aside to the Baltimore area folks, I had a delicious lunch at the Rusty Scupper today, topped off by a slice of Smith Island cake.😁

We were so full, that we couldn't even go to Chap's for pit beef later on. 😮

• Like 4

Just now, DownTheShore said:

If anyone knows the chef Nick Stellino from PBS, he's offering a free cookbook (PDF format) to celebrate his anniversary with PBS:

-------

I'm not familiar with him, but thanks for this!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DownTheShore said:

-------

Just an aside to the Baltimore area folks, I had a delicious lunch at the Rusty Scupper today, topped off by a slice of Smith Island cake.😁

We were so full, that we couldn't even go to Chap's for pit beef later on. 😮

What??  No Chaps???  You know, that's one of my favorite places!  What brought you down my way?

The Rusty Scupper is nice - so glad you had a great meal there!  And Smith Island cake, too!! 

Thanks for the cookbook link!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

What??  No Chaps???  You know, that's one of my favorite places!  What brought you down my way?

The Rusty Scupper is nice - so glad you had a great meal there!  And Smith Island cake, too!! 

Thanks for the cookbook link!

You're welcome.

My sister and I went down for the day to visit my nephew, to check out his new apartment. We went to the Rusty Scupper (his treat) and then spent the rest of the afternoon at the Walters Art Museum - a place he'd probably never walk into on his own. I dredged up everything I could remember from my art history classes to try to get him to understand the creative processes behind the works. I think I might have succeeded - he kept looking at things when his mom and I sat down to rest. Next time, we'll take him to the Baltimore Art Museum. 😁

We were literally still too full to eat by the time we left Baltimore and didn't want to get take out from Chap's because we had nothing with us to keep it cool for the 3+ hour drive. 😞

Next time we'll be better prepared for food transport. I also want to make a sidestop at Delicious Gourmet, and at that Peruvian chicken place in Baltimore. Yum.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2019 at 9:26 PM, lovemesomejoolery said:

...and all I thought about was Archie Bunker!!

Yup, that and the comic book character.

Every time I think about that baby's name, I hear Edith calling out, "Awwrchie", lol.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Happy Mother’s Day to the moms, stepmoms, pet moms and all those who nurture others!

ED9D5D80-936F-47B8-9841-31C47BF7FA8E.gif.e4c72c0b587fd52af590b4df6792dd43.gif

• Like 10

On 5/10/2019 at 9:46 AM, Bronx Babe said:

Actually "Archie" sounds very British to me, and from both ends of their societal strata -- I can see the name working for a "Colonel Blimp" type (you know, the gentlemen's club "pip, pip, eh wot!" sort) and then with a bloke on EastEnders, lol.

The reason for the name has been revealed:  It's a tribute to Harry's commanding officer in the British Army, Maj. Tom Archer-Burton, who is known as Archie, and Harry considers him his "rock".

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/12/why-meghan-markle-and-prince-harry-named-their-son-archie/

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

9 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

You're welcome.

My sister and I went down for the day to visit my nephew, to check out his new apartment. We went to the Rusty Scupper (his treat) and then spent the rest of the afternoon at the Walters Art Museum - a place he'd probably never walk into on his own. I dredged up everything I could remember from my art history classes to try to get him to understand the creative processes behind the works. I think I might have succeeded - he kept looking at things when his mom and I sat down to rest. Next time, we'll take him to the Baltimore Art Museum. 😁

We were literally still too full to eat by the time we left Baltimore and didn't want to get take out from Chap's because we had nothing with us to keep it cool for the 3+ hour drive. 😞

Next time we'll be better prepared for food transport. I also want to make a sidestop at Delicious Gourmet, and at that Peruvian chicken place in Baltimore. Yum.

The Walters is a nice little museum.  When you go to the Baltimore Art Museum, try and eat at Gertrude's.  It was originally done by chef John Shields, who has had cooking shows on PBS about Maryland cooking, but is run by someone else now for maybe a year.  The quality is still the same as when John ran the kitchen.  It's really good....and if the weather is nice, you can eat outside in the BMA's sculpture garden.  I've eaten there many times for special occasions and it's really nice.  Another good museum is the American Visionary Art Museum....it's all "outsider" art. 

Do you mean Perfect Gourmet instead of Delicious Gourmet? 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

OMG, you're right, yes, you're talking about Archie Mitchell on EastEnders!

Oh I didn't know, lol, but just guessed there was a character named Archie.  Ha!  

I only watch that show occasionally.  No one smiles or is happy.   Ever.  

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, letusprocrastinate said:

The reason for the name has been revealed:  It's a tribute to Harry's commanding officer in the British Army, Maj. Tom Archer-Burton, who is known as Archie, and Harry considers him his "rock".

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/12/why-meghan-markle-and-prince-harry-named-their-son-archie/

Ah!  Great info, thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyacinth B said:

Followed RIGHT NOW by Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid !!! WOOT !!!

Like them both, but Redford more my type in this movie. ❤️

And Katharine Ross -- so beautiful -- loved her.

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2019 at 10:50 AM, Bronx Babe said:

Paul was so beautiful.

Amen to that!

TCM recently ran "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" which I think shows PLN (and Liz Taylor too!) at their most gorgeous. I'll watch it every time it comes on, because you can never get tired of so much - is "stunningness" a word? If not, it should be.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coffeecup said:

I loved Grumpy Cat. So sad to hear she died at only 7 years old.

Yeah, that tore at my heart.  I heard it was complications from a UTI that caused her to pass away, but my husband said he had heard she also had a form of feline dwarfism.  I'm thinking that probably hastened her death, too. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

55 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yeah, that tore at my heart.  I heard it was complications from a UTI that caused her to pass away, but my husband said he had heard she also had a form of feline dwarfism.  I'm thinking that probably hastened her death, too. 

Yes, she did have feline dwarfism, but the immediate cause of death was UTI complications.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Hyacinth B said:

Amen to that!

TCM recently ran "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" which I think shows PLN (and Liz Taylor too!) at their most gorgeous. I'll watch it every time it comes on, because you can never get tired of so much - is "stunningness" a word? If not, it should be.

Agree about COAHTR.  Maggie and Brick's children certainly won't turn out to be "no-neck monsters", lol.

Check out Paul in The Long, Hot Summer.   More stunningness.

• Like 1