Type keyword(s) to search

Guy's Big Project - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Before anyone gets up in arms about the Saturday time slot (I was primed!) I looked and at least the first airing is behind a brand new Triple D compilation episode. Still think RJ got shafted not being on Friday but with the Friday clones always failing it may be a blessing disguise.

All in all better than I expected. Still shocked they got a show and Zane (and/or Christian) didn’t even get a put pilot (basically air a pilot and get public feedback) but since the concept got expanded it may work better even with the name being a mismatch now.

32 minutes in I knew both would get a show and deli guy would be out.  He will be a judge on GGG but I am guessing only when it is a deli challenge. 

The Grill Dads really improved.  They are funny when they banter but not when they go for a joke. 

Rashad, my favorite,  got the Saturday night slot which is probably worse than Friday for the Dads. 

I wonder if Guy is sick of doing DD&D and traveling constantly and this show was really a search for possible replacements.  I can't think of any other reason FN would want another show or shows with hosts doing exactly what Guy has been doing right down to his style and the camera panning customers with brief positive comments about the restaurant in question.  

Rashad seems like a nice guy but FN already has Eddie whom everyone likes and who is better looking so I don't get why they want another BBQ guy.  I'm not at all interested in watching a variation of DD&D with corny rap.

I liked the Grill Dads better in their pilot than I did throughout the previous episodes but I still don't think they're particularly amusing.  Guy seemed to think they're hilarious.  I don't actually dislike them but I have no interest in watching a big sloppy guy with a beard shovel food into his mouth.  

I probably would have watched Zane.  Maybe.

• Love 4

So how long till we see Rashad judging on Chopped,GGG or Beat Bobby Flay?

or the Grill Dads judging on the latter two shows(and maybe,along with Rashad if Chopped has another"Grill Masters" tournament..

We may also see all 3 on the new season of The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Cooking Channel..the new FNS winner Jason was one of the commentators i seen in the promo("It's like LAHF-changing.." )

@mlp I bet you are right about Guy wanting to stop traveling for DDD.  This speaks to his doing Guy's Ranch.   And how many interesting diners are left?  He has been doing this for years, right?  I only watch the competitions.   

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Wings said:

32 minutes in I knew both would get a show and deli guy would be out.  He will be a judge on GGG but I am guessing only when it is a deli challenge. 

The Grill Dads really improved.  They are funny when they banter but not when they go for a joke. 

Rashad, my favorite,  got the Saturday night slot which is probably worse than Friday for the Dads. 

I think Saturday may be better. All the Friday shows they’re tried after/near DDD have failed with Symon’s show being the best of the lot at 3 seasons that had a different format each season. Friday isn’t as bad as Monday travel shows were though and I think that’s why some of the baking shows have moved to Monday so they can give something like GBP a shot on Sunday while stabilizing Monday.

9 hours ago, mlp said:

I wonder if Guy is sick of doing DD&D and traveling constantly and this show was really a search for possible replacements.  I can't think of any other reason FN would want another show or shows with hosts doing exactly what Guy has been doing right down to his style and the camera panning customers with brief positive comments about the restaurant in question.  

Rashad seems like a nice guy but FN already has Eddie whom everyone likes and who is better looking so I don't get why they want another BBQ guy.  I'm not at all interested in watching a variation of DD&D with corny rap.

I liked the Grill Dads better in their pilot than I did throughout the previous episodes but I still don't think they're particularly amusing.  Guy seemed to think they're hilarious.  I don't actually dislike them but I have no interest in watching a big sloppy guy with a beard shovel food into his mouth.  

I probably would have watched Zane.  Maybe.

They’ve been cloning DDD for a while now trying to find a heir to the throne. Nothing has stuck except for shows on Cooming but I do t think that channel is rated.

1 hour ago, Wings said:

@mlp I bet you are right about Guy wanting to stop traveling for DDD.  This speaks to his doing Guy's Ranch.   And how many interesting diners are left?  He has been doing this for years, right?  I only watch the competitions.   

Guys Ranch speaks more to me about him not wanting to do more Big Bite Episodes. Over the past few years new episodes have gotten rarer and rarer and I’m not sure if it’s because of his other projects, if he’s burned out from that show, or a bit of both.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Biggums said:

The show's...fine, I suppose.  I've seen worse.

The rap at the end of each stop is wack, though.  They need to reach out with the stick with the hook on it and pull him off stage.

Yeah it always felt a bit forced but now that it’s after every stop URGH. I rather he just did one at the end that included all the stops.

5 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Guys Ranch speaks more to me about him not wanting to do more Big Bite Episodes. Over the past few years new episodes have gotten rarer and rarer and I’m not sure if it’s because of his other projects, if he’s burned out from that show, or a bit of both.

I have never heard of Big Bites.  That says, I am not all that fond of Guy.  lol

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

I don't think he's made new Guy's Big Bite episodes in at least two years. 

He definitely wants to be closer to home more now that he's got his. And unlike Flay who can be at FN's beck and call, Guy's home is in Northern California. A bit of a commute to tape one-offs. 

• Love 1

Guy is definitely successful enough to call his own shots now.  He's got his Brand, his own restaurants, production company and the like.  His oldest is in college and the 2nd will be going soon, so he can pretty much do what he wants because he wants to.   He is what FNS keeps trying to produce again, but hasn't quite done.  

I liked this & it looked like he enjoyed it too.  And I'm looking forward to seeing the new shows from the Grill Dads.  I like them from from the beginning, so I'm looking forward to seeing their show more than another BBQ show.  Plus, I'm a big Eddie Jackson fan, and do NOT like rap, so I'll probably bypass Rashad. 

• Love 1

It shows that Guy Fieri is good at mentoring and developing talent.  He stayed away from stupid stunts, ridiculous product tie-ins and irrelevant competitions. 

He did a show closer to what FNS was in the first couple of seasons.   

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I don't think he's made new Guy's Big Bite episodes in at least two years. 

He definitely wants to be closer to home more now that he's got his. And unlike Flay who can be at FN's beck and call, Guy's home is in Northern California. A bit of a commute to tape one-offs. 

There was a season late last year this time and I thought there was a short season this year but I guess not.

2 hours ago, Maya said:

Is it weird that two of the three finalists got actual Food Network series, and the winners of Next Food Network Star are barely ever heard from again? 

No because once they stopped having the show premiere the next weekend it was downhill. If FNS actually did a finale like this instead of the recap awkward finales they do I think we would’ve had some different winners during some of the past few seasons.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

It shows that Guy Fieri is good at mentoring and developing talent.  He stayed away from stupid stunts, ridiculous product tie-ins and irrelevant competitions. 

He did a show closer to what FNS was in the first couple of seasons.   

Closer to what he went through to win.

• Love 1

Someone upstream really nailed it when they said that THIS is what Food Network Star should be! Here they actually used the different shows to build on the skill set needed to host without all the "culinary point of view" bull that FNS is famous for. Each week they eliminated the correct person and ended up with 2 shows that, while they won't have the staying power of Triple-D, are interesting. I know that Guy gets "shit on" a lot but he is really good on Triple-D and he was even better on this show!

Edited by AAEBoiler
  • Love 3
On 12/11/2017 at 0:55 AM, Tyrone Biggums said:

The show's...fine, I suppose.  I've seen worse.

The rap at the end of each stop is wack, though.  They need to reach out with the stick with the hook on it and pull him off stage.

Episode 2 dropped the Freestyles after every stop. Seems it may be the intro theme and final stop now.

2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

When did they show the first episode? Or did they count the pilots (5 whole minutes?) as Episode 1? I didn't pay attention to episode count when I watched the Grill Dads. 

Guys Big Project aired two hour long episodes last Sunday. The finale and then the pilots afterward. DVR should’ve caught it but if you watched live you might’ve missed it.

18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

D'oh! I blanked that second hour out of my mind. I think it was all of Rashad's rapping. One rap an episode to wrap up (see what I did there?) should suffice. 

Well if you don’t count the opening theme rap the second episode only had one which was at the end but only talked about the last stop.

Have seen the shows. Once. And done. FN has settled on new host contests to get ratings. Like someone said, anyone who strikes them as interesting can be folded into the chum of personalities on the "best of" head shot shows. I gave up on FNS long ago. So that leaves Ina and ... not much else. Guess they won't be airing any new eps of Molto Mario redux.

So local Sam Jones has been on Food Paradise and now ESB within the past week. Probably filmed at the same time but I am sad neither mentioned Pete Jones' (aka The Skylight Inn to non-locals) and/or showed it. It's only like 10 minutes from Sam Jones so some b-roll footage at the very least could've happened. Also I know TECHNICALLY that it's Winterville but it's basically Greenville and they missed  chance to connect/touch on ECU/"Pirate County". WITH THAT SAID, Pete/Sam Jones is the best BBQ I've ever had (their house sauce pops it off just right) by a long looooooong mile.

EDIT: More info about the roots below

Edited by Skyfall

Since I found both guys funny and really liked them in the competition, I really enjoyed their show.  I hope to see more episodes.  They play off each other so well. 

I liked the foods they profiled, and have done lots of different "french toasts".  I've done the biscuits, corn bread, croissants and even split Krispy Kreme donuts as the base for french toast.  Basically, any type of bread product you can slice can be dipped in French Toast batter and pan fried.  One of my faves is thickly sliced bran muffins.  YUM!

I'll be watching for them. 

17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

One thing they haven't demonstrated is grilled foods. It's like they took the premise of the "hot" girl's show (outrageous foods) and ran with that. 

Well in the finale the show was picked up but with the feedback that they had to feature more than just grilled foods. Why I’m unsure of cause Grill specific lends itself to a ton of things in my mind. Maybe they’re feared it would just be burgers after burgers.

But they didn't show it being cooked. The concentrated on the waffle aspect, which took it into the realm of the hot girl who choked. The places they're profiling are in HER wheelhouse, they just chose these guys to present it. 

4 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Wasn't the original offer for 6 episodes? If so, the "Grill Dads" are up to 8 episodes now as of this Friday (1/26). Meanwhile, I'm not sure if "Eat Sleep BBQ" made it past 5 because It's not on anymore.

Fution Critic had Grill Dads at 10 and ESB at 6 (only 4 have aired).