Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: The Damned

halgia
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Then we have the King pontificating and speechifying in the woods while dragging a tiger around, and Rick - whose hearing seems to be compromised just as badly as is Daryl's - getting jumped twice in as many minutes  Morales? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn about him. In fact, I don't give a damn about any of them anymore. I think the only person I still like is Aaron, who does what needs doing without getting preachy, saccharine or irritating.

I agree about Aaron. All he basically did was call out orders, nod his head and kill. Not being preachy or sparing Saviors their lives. Doing what needs to be done. Maybe Aaron will end up being 2nd in command for Alexandria.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, dshgr said:

Why weren't they plucking the guns off of the dead people!!!!!

Yes! 

I had to hand-wave it that they would organise themselves to go back for them all but it drove me crazy too.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:22 AM, ghoulina said:

I don't know if it's my lack of enthusiasm for this show or issues on the writers' parts, but I had a hard time keeping track of who was where with whom. I know Tara, Jesus, and Morgan were at the satellite outpost. And Carol and Zeke were in the woods with the Kingdom people. But all that shooting up that was going on outside with Aaron and Eric - was that the same building that Rick and Daryl were inside of? 

I admit with no embarassment I had no clue who was doing what to whom. I don't know where they went, where they were when they got there or where they had been when they left.  To me, and perhaps I'm just slow, it was all a mangled mess of guns and shooting and grimaces, only enough time taken out for some Pithy Words or Meaningful Monologues. I turned on the CC, hoping to be able to better understand, but nada.

Was the big moment when we see Morales supposed to cause major reaction and gasping from the audience? When Rick showed recognition, I just thought, "Who the fuck is that?" Does anyone care about some minor character we haven't seen or heard of in seven years? The only memory I have of him is standing on the rooftop in Atlanta looking appalled.

What are Carol, the King and the Tiger doing in the woods anyway, besides chitchatting and wandering around? I really don't know.  

Guns blazing and blazing (puzzling how our gang now has more frickin' ammo than was expended on D-Day) killing everyone in sight, yet when Negan stood there with a target on his chest - nah, don't kill HIM. (WHY???) Be careful to not even give him a flesh wound. Rick forgives him for his near-murder of Cworal and brutal slaying of Glenn and Abe.  It's all so boring. Boring and irritating and stupid. I cannot believe these writers keep their jobs and continue to get paid. This makes the last season of "Dexter" look like Masterpiece Theatre.

Jesus better find Morgan, patch him up and get him to building a whole lotta jail cells.

Maybe it was all explained after the show, but I catch one glance of that high-pitched little pissant and click "off."

And yeah - who is Francine?

Had to edit to add:

Rick - or someone - better save that baby.  Not gonna lie, the way he was reacting for a while there, I was slightly expecting him to shoot the baby. 

because the comments here are a million times more entertaining than the show. I remember episodes such as when Rick was hiding under the bed as the Merletones roamed the house and the suspense was such that I was literally at the edge of my seat and cannot believe this is the same show.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I remember episodes such as when Rick was hiding under the bed as the Merletones roamed the house and the suspense was such that I was literally at the edge of my seat and cannot believe this is the same show.

This.

, yet when Negan stood there with a target on his chest - nah, don't kill HIM. (WHY???) Be careful to not even give him a flesh wound. Rick forgives him for his near-murder of Cworal and brutal slaying of Glenn and Abe.  It's all so boring. Boring and irritating and stupid. I cannot believe these writers keep their jobs and continue to get paid. 

So, Show's theme this year is ALL OUT WAR with a graphic of Rick vs Negan.  Yet the first two episodes, instead of giving us an anticipated revenge story, has emphasized repeatedly Rick saying "This isn't about me."  While reading your comments, I thought about that some more, and while I assume they are trying to show the three groups of Good Guys as all egalitarian and such, I wonder if they aren't foreshadowing the demise of Rick.  I hate to break to the show, but it damn well IS about Rick to me. 

If they can't make this work, at least I can go watch Shane as the Punisher.  lol  He takes revenge on like...thousands... of people.  Funny, I even thought about Shane when Rick was virtue signaling that it wasn't about him.  I remembered Shane telling him the only thing that matters is keeping Carl (and Lori, ugh) safe.  Carl and Michonne these days.  Kill the guy who tried to make you chop Carl's arm off.  It's not a hard philosophy to understand.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There should have been a way to block Savior radio (walkie/talkie) communication.  Worst case scenario, grab one of the units and blast some AC DC  (band) or similar type music into it.    Make the noise so loud that no one can hear anything.

Or, force one of the Savior prisoners to feed bad intelligence through one of the communication units.

"For those about to rock, we salute you!"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I admit with no embarassment I had no clue who was doing what to whom. I don't know where they went, where they were when they got there or where they had been when they left.  To me, and perhaps I'm just slow, it was all a mangled mess of guns and shooting and grimaces, only enough time taken out for some Pithy Words or Meaningful Monologues. I turned on the CC, hoping to be able to better understand, but nada.

This.  Especially the bolded part.  This is completely my speculation.  I think different groups are attacking different outposts, they move on from there to attack other outposts, and are eventually planning on everyone meeting up at the same place.  As far as what has been shown on screen, to me it's a bunch of different groups wondering around, shooting at people, and talking to much.  This has all the elements for a good SL, but the execution sucks.

I can't remember which character it was, but someone mentioned the Saviors realized they were being attacked, and another character said it didn't matter, they would continue on, and I thought, "Well duh, you have attacked a murderous group of thugs, and currently the head murderous thug who like to bash people's heads in with a bat is still alive, so you better finished the job or die trying."

• Love 4

The Sunday Cable ratings are in for "The Damned":

“The Walking Dead” put up ratings on Sunday that were the show’s lowest since the late stages of its second season more than five years ago.

The show was still Sunday’s biggest draw on cable by a long shot, but its 4.0 rating among adults 18-49 was the lowest for the show since March 11, 2012 — the next-to-last episode of Season 2. “TWD’s” 8.923 million viewers were the least since the Season 2 finale.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-oct-29-2017/

And here are the Live + Same Day numbers for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million

I imagine the World Series might have had something to do with that drop, but we'll see...

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peach said:

I hate to break to the show, but it damn well IS about Rick to me. 

Agree, but because he says it's not about him, is he going to tell us WHO it is about? Is it about Maggie, Rosita, Carl, Tara, Daryl and Sasha, "Oh, whatever you do, don't kill Negan. My two-time threat to him that I would kill him? I was just talking out my ass. The fact that he murdered the father of Maggie's child, boyfriends/girlfriends, tortured Daryl, suffocated Sasha in a coffin and held a bat over Carl's head? Never mind. It's not about you either. When we gear up and make monumental preparations to head to the Sanctuary, make sure everyone shoots over his head, cuz all that makes sense. How's about we just kill all his sycophants instead?  I guess I don't really know what or who it's about, but, hey guys - you'll never guess who I ran into - Morales (crickets chirp)!" Actually, it seems Rick has racked up a much higher kill quota than has Negan.

We didn't find out what happened to FPP in the trailer with Negan, after he inexplicably and stupidly left his car to chat with Gregory, but I'm pretty sure we can picture it: Negan talking/chortling/saying "piss" "shit" and "dick" a lot until FPP passes out with boredom and Negan gets his gun.

Were the GPK in this ep? I know - I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

That pretty much sums it up for me.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, festivus said:

Whoa now. That might be going a bit too far. ;)

Okay, you made me really think about that. Am I going too far? Being unfair? So after much thought I came to the conclusion that the insulting, infuriating clusterfuck that was DexterSe08 is still not as bad as the Rick "I'm gonna kill you Negan, except when I have the perfect opportunity to kill you, I absolutely will not" TWD. I stand by my words.;)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Okay, you made me really think about that. Am I going too far? Being unfair? So after much thought I came to the conclusion that the insulting, infuriating clusterfuck that was DexterSe08 is still not as bad as the Rick "I'm gonna kill you Negan, except when I have the perfect opportunity to kill you, I absolutely will not" TWD. I stand by my words.;)

Gotcha! I'm never going to watch Dexter again because the end retroactively ruined the whole series for me. This shit is shaping up to be just as bad though. Something needs to change with this show. Soon. 

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, festivus said:

I'm never going to watch Dexter again because the end retroactively ruined the whole series for me.

I know a lot of people (rightfully) feel that way, but on looking back I do see moments of true brilliance in a series that kept me hooked all along. How sad it takes just one person to destroy all that. I saw the same thing, flashes of brilliance here and there,  in some episodes of TWD, admittedly to a lesser degree and it seems now that someone, or more than one person, is doing the same determined series-destroying job on TWD. But everything is relative. Try watching a Scifi series called "Aftermath" (so horrific it's good) which is also a post-apocalyptic tale and then TWD looks good again. Well, maybe briefly. On second thought, no, it doesn't. :(

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Agree, but because he says it's not about him, is he going to tell us WHO it is about? Is it about Maggie, Rosita, Carl, Tara, Daryl and Sasha, "Oh, whatever you do, don't kill Negan. My two-time threat to him that I would kill him? I was just talking out my ass. The fact that he murdered the father of Maggie's child, boyfriends/girlfriends, tortured Daryl, suffocated Sasha in a coffin and held a bat over Carl's head? Never mind. It's not about you either. When we gear up and make monumental preparations to head to the Sanctuary, make sure everyone shoots over his head, cuz all that makes sense. How's about we just kill all his sycophants instead?  I guess I don't really know what or who it's about, but, hey guys - you'll never guess who I ran into - Morales (crickets chirp)!" Actually, it seems Rick has racked up a much higher kill quota than has Negan.

Yes, all great points.  

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Try watching a Scifi series called "Aftermath" (so horrific it's good) which is also a post-apocalyptic tale and then TWD looks good again. Well, maybe briefly. On second thought, no, it doesn't. :(

Is that the Anne Heche Biblical/mythological/folklore mishmash apocalypse? Yeah, that was bad. She’s doing much better on The Brave now.

Edited by Irishmaple
  • Love 1

So when I heard that there was going to be a TWD/FTWD crossover, I started trying to figure out who would do the crossing over, and my best bet was Morales (though I didn't remember his name.) He was the only person I could remember who had left the show alive.

But now I'm thinking that it can't possibly be him, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see (or eventually find a spoiler somewhere.)

BUT, having Morales on my mind made me recognize him more quickly when he appeared on screen; my wife was impressed...

13 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I don’t think I could binge watch it sober.

Did I say I was sober?:p Come to think of it, I should wait for the "cocktail hour" from now on to watch TWD.  Getting a little (or a lot) oiled may make it more palatable.

11 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

One day it's  "Nobody else has to die.  (meaning just Negan)."

Couple days later?  Scores upon scores of dead Saviors, as well as a few on his side.

Pretty much. If Rick has his way, it seems the only Savior left alive after this debacle might be Negan.

• Love 3

The episode was much better than last weeks, which is kind of a sad thing given this weeks offering was a bit of a mess. The Walkng Dead has become a little too fond of disorienting the viewer at the expense of a coherent narrative.

• Love 3

Walking Dead is very bad at bringing any coherent narrative to the viewers.  How many times have we been totally confused by what happened in an episode and are forced to watch Talking Dead to have Hardwick 'splain it to us dummies?  Or something that should be considered somewhat "important" to the story line flashed by on the screen too quickly to really catch in one view (so, Francine DIED?  I thought she got shot in the shoulder!   ...or worse yet, Who's Francine??)

Production doesn't want us to forget that ALL Saviors are teh evilest evil that ever eviled:  Pisspants Savior is a pre-natal vitamin stomping lunatic,  Saviors that are fatally wounded and dying can't expire without taunting ASZ characters, and they frequently show Saviors often seen belittling each other and being sadistic to their own - Hi, Mara!  Hell, I bet if Rick checked that baby's diaper, there was probably a C4 explosive rigged to go off if anyone picked up the kid.

Even with the Saviors seemingly unredeemable - Rick's Morality Posse can't seem to come to a consensus - AFTER REPEATED BACKSTABBINGS - whether they should kill the Saviors or not.  Haven't we seen this "dilemma" of CDB holding on to their humanity revisited several times each season?  Why are they continuing to rehash it?

Edited by HighMaintenance
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

Production doesn't want us to forget that ALL Saviors are teh evilest evil that ever eviled: 

You have pointed out something I've said all along on this show  - pure evil is not scary or intriguing. It's boring. When we have bad people - moustache twirlers like Gareth (and I doubt anyone has ever gloated and sneered while engaging in cannibalism), Wolves and now Negan and his gang -  who seem to exist just to be evil and whose goal in life is to inflict suffering on others and have zero humanity or redeeming features, it's a big yawn because you know whatever they do or will do, it must be only evil. There are no surprises. You never wonder what they will do or how they'll react because you know ahead of time, yep - evil. I'm know I"m a minority when I say what I liked about the Governor is that he was the only Big Bad to show any conflict. He was not only evil and sadistic. Same with Merle and Shane. What happened to the writers who brought those characters to life? The writers/creators whoever seem to have no concept whatsoever of ambiguity or making us wonder. Everything is black or white to them.  Even bad people sometimes do good things, or at the least, not-evil things and has been often said here - what works for comic book characters often does not translate to live action. Anyway, JMHO.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Gotta say, Mr Grimes isn't one much for keeping his word.  One day it's  "Nobody else has to die.  (meaning just Negan)."

Couple days later?  Scores upon scores of dead Saviors, as well as a few on his side.

To be fair, I think he was saying that to give the other Saviors an out. But they didn't take it. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The writers/creators whoever seem to have no concept whatsoever of ambiguity or making us wonder. Everything is black or white to them.  Even bad people sometimes do good things, or at the least, not-evil things and has been often said here - what works for comic book characters often does not translate to live action. Anyway, JMHO.

I think within the constraints of an hour long (sometimes an hour plus) show that's what?  8 or 10 episodes at a time, the show has done an okay job with portraying complexity in some of the "bad" guys.  We were given some of the back story for Terminus, that they had originally been warm and welcoming and then got taken over by rapist/killer types until they were able to fight back successfully.  While I don't quite get why that would need to include cannibalism, I can understand the cause and effect there at least a little bit, from being the neighborhood welcome wagon to becoming the neighborhood chuck wagon.  

I found Gareth to be menacing because he looked normal and he talked in a normal way (unlike the new garbage dump people) as far as the tone and the matter of fact way he spoke,  but if you looked in his eyes, they were dead and if you listened to what he was saying, "we can get messy for now but we need to go back to public face, you have two hours to get them on the dryers",  the words themselves were horrible.  

I also think the guys that Daryl hooked up with after he and Beth were separated, they were interesting, because, unlike Terminus, these guys were probably never particularly "good" people.  In the ZA, they became free be really bad people if and when it suited them.    But I don't think it was much of a transition, unlike the Terminus people.  The lead guy, Jeff Kober's character, pretty much said that.  The new world was a comfortable place for guys like them.   Would they have ever resorted to cannibalism?  Maybe, but only if they couldn't eat any other way.

For me, the problem with this show started when CDB attacked the Savior outpost and killed everyone as they slept.  I just don't see CDB as the good guys anymore and I don't really question why the Saviors stay loyal to Negan, even though the show has done a terrible job creating a rationale for that loyalty.  Other than, why should they believe Rick's group is any better?   And the introduction of these other groups, Hilltop, the Kingdom, it's just a distraction from that central fact, for me anyway, there is no satisfaction in any emotional investment in Rick and his group.    This is why I think they have characters like Morgan and now Jesus spouting lines like we don't have to kill everyone, that's not who we are, etc.  As a way to pay lip service to the idea that there is some identifiable and better difference between the Rick group and everyone else.  Except there kind of isn't anymore.  

• Love 3

Morales showing up was...a thing. I dont remember much about him, but I did always kind of wonder what happened to him and his family when he left everyone else in Atlanta, so I guess its ok to see him again. 

I liked the cannibals from Terminus because, while they were obviously irredeemably evil, the viewers could understand why they became like that. They were good people who opened their home to everyone who needed it, and then they were betrayed, horribly abused, and when they killed the people who hurt them, the good in them died and they became the crazy hipster cannibals we got to know. They looked into the abyss and the abyss looked back and all that. They rambled evilly a bit too, but I think the actors played it more like "we are really truly dead inside and are just going through the motions of being people now" then "asshole gym teacher and some jocks in an 80s teen movie" the way Negan and the Saviors do. Terminus were a dark mirror to what our heroes could become in extreme circumstances, or if they lost the connection to their humanity. The Saviors are just assholes. They arent a dark mirror to our heroes, they're not complex, they dont keep the audience guessing as to if theyre good or evil or both,  they're just cardboard cutout villains. Which is alright for an arc or two, if you get interesting actors to play them and give them some real menace. While the Saviors are certainly dangerous, they dont come off as scary to me, they come off as annoying. We have no idea why the Saviors are the way they are, they just...are. Its just not interesting for villains that have been around for so long now. There isn't any suspense with these guys. They're just smug and violent and mean. 

• Love 4

I don't know if it was lazy directing or a budget issue, but people were shooting at each other with assault rifles and none of the bullets event dented the corrugated tin or cars. It was worse than the A-Team (80s version) for crying out loud.

Edited by FishyJoe
1 hour ago, Dodginblue said:

I also think the guys that Daryl hooked up with after he and Beth were separated, they were interesting, because, unlike Terminus, these guys were probably never particularly "good" people.  In the ZA, they became free be really bad people if and when it suited them.    But I don't think it was much of a transition, unlike the Terminus people.

Yes. I remember at the time thinking that for people like Joe and his gang or Merle and even Daryl under different circumstances or in other company, life actually  got better after the ZA. They were free to escalate what was probably always fringe/criminal behavior, only now they can do it openly without the threat of prison. But still, Joe had some sort of code to which he adhered. It may have been a brutal one, but still I found him to be intriguing, just as I did Merle. As for Gareth, I just didn't buy his brand of evil. Yes, they were terrorized and traumatized, etc, and people have certainly resorted to cannabalism is times of severe life-or-death situations, but I'm sure never with such glee that he and his gang would sit there and eat someone's leg in front of the victim.

1 hour ago, Dodginblue said:

For me, the problem with this show started when CDB attacked the Savior outpost and killed everyone as they slept. 

Agree. That makes them worse than Negan. Even he only killed two of CDB in retaliation for all those cold-blooded murders. Why should we root for CDB now? For me it was also when they launched the surprise attack, complete with explosives, on the Seaside colony and stole all their guns. That was rather distasteful and unnecessary and they seem to be just murderers and terrorists now, worse than Negan's gang of schoolyard bullies.  

2 hours ago, Dodginblue said:

And the introduction of these other groups, Hilltop, the Kingdom, it's just a distraction from that central fact, for me anyway, there is no satisfaction in any emotional investment in Rick and his group.

Agree to that as well. I liked this show so much better when it was about the people being real people and not just making speeches or blabbing in platitudes in a way no real people would ever do.

• Love 3

These last two episodes were like a Transformers movie. And I felt asleep in both of the last Transformer movies I saw. I would wake to more mindless explosions then conk out again. We've gone from hording shell casings to spraying ammo Call of Duty style. All our folks running down hallways making "cool" hand signals got silly real fast.

Jesus and company were blowing away everybody so why did one guy in the closet change the script? Especially after he told Tara & Jesus his surrender was a ruse.

Why can Rick butcher a lookout but can't put a bullet in Negan? This is a man who went Dracula on a dude who threatened Carl. Why didn't Rick shoot Negan first then ask if the Savoirs wanted to surrender. 

What happened to the Garbage Pail Kids? I guess because they don't bother, Rick will deal with their treacherous ways later, but I feel I missed something.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, Irishmaple said:

There was a lot happening in this episode but the locations were throwing me off.

Aaron, Eric and the rest of the Alexandrites were attacking Saviours outdoors. The plan, which I liked, was shoot until enough Saviours die and take care of the rest. Solid plan, considering how sheltered the Alexandrites were. Eric was hopping around so much I’m not surprised he got shot. That part of the operation went fine, except for Eric and Tobin, but his wound looks survivable.

Rick and a bunch were inside. Were they inside the same building that Aaron was holding? Anyway, they were sent there by Dwight, I guess. It seemed that Dwight only knew the building was important but didn’t know why. He assumed it was an armoury, but it was a nursery. If Gracie is the high value target, then she has to be Negan’s kid, right?  Of course Negan would take a baby from her mother and place her under guard, because it’s all about him.

Where was Daryl? I saw him lurking around, moping through his hair, but I had no idea where he was.

Tara should have started her run by hitting Jesus over the head and stashing him safely in a corner. They were in the same location as Morgan and Diane, so most of those Saviours are dead.

I still enjoy Ezekiel, and Carol’s bemusement. They were all in a wood somewhere. 

Exactly what Saviours did Morales call? The big compound is besieged by a horde of zombies, a bunch got taken out last week and another bunch died in this episode. I think Morales might be overly optimistic about his backup.

It seemed to me that the show was letting us know that Rick killed Gracie's dad, because the dead guy had the baby's name tattooed on his body.  But now that I think about it, how did this man get a professional tattoo in the ZA?  Would Negan breed a baby girl, then track down a man with the baby's name already tattooed on him to guard her?  Am I thinking on this longer than the writers did?  

With the size of Negan's harem and the amount of time he devotes to it, he seems like he may be sterile.  And maybe that's why he's so obsessed with having a baby.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Agree. That makes them worse than Negan. Even he only killed two of CDB in retaliation for all those cold-blooded murders. Why should we root for CDB now? For me it was also when they launched the surprise attack, complete with explosives, on the Seaside colony and stole all their guns. That was rather distasteful and unnecessary and they seem to be just murderers and terrorists now, worse than Negan's gang of schoolyard bullies.  

I think some of the Saviors we've seen are just people who are trying to survive and this is the group they've ended up with.  The ones Eugene met/were introduced to when he was first shown around the Saviors compound, Negan's "wives", Gavin, who was the lead person in dealing with the Kingdom food pick-ups, he wasn't a complete weasel.  The women who captured Maggie and Carol after the outpost attack, they weren't just cartoonishly evil.   And the guy Rick killed in this last episode, it seems he was just trying to protect a baby.  

It's like the people at the hospital when they went to "rescue" Beth...Rick offered them a chance to join his group and nobody took him up on it, because the devil you know and all that.  And Martin telling Tyrese that nobody at Terminus was his friend, they were just the a-'holes he was staying alive with.     

• Love 1
On 11/1/2017 at 0:43 AM, Lakebum said:

So when I heard that there was going to be a TWD/FTWD crossover, I started trying to figure out who would do the crossing over, and my best bet was Morales (though I didn't remember his name.) He was the only person I could remember who had left the show alive.

But now I'm thinking that it can't possibly be him, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see (or eventually find a spoiler somewhere.)

Actually, you may be on to something.  Morales showing up just now may not be a coincidence.  If they wanted to use him on FTWD, it makes sense that they would put him on TWD also, to remind everybody who he is.  He may run into the FWTD people in the past, since that show supposedly takes place in the past.

5 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes. I remember at the time thinking that for people like Joe and his gang or Merle and even Daryl under different circumstances or in other company, life actually  got better after the ZA. They were free to escalate what was probably always fringe/criminal behavior, only now they can do it openly without the threat of prison. But still, Joe had some sort of code to which he adhered. It may have been a brutal one, but still I found him to be intriguing, just as I did Merle. 

To be honest I still find Country Joe and the Claimers to be the most relatable “villains” CDB has encountered to date - specifically, in terms of the intrinsic sense of pragmatism carried to its logical extreme which formed the core of the entire Claimer ethos.  Truth be told: if under ZA circumstances I didn’t find and bond with a cooperative survival group like CDB, a loosely-associated survival-through-numbers group like the Claimers would probably be my second choice.  Minus the rapey stuff, of course.

1 hour ago, kelslamu said:

I'm wondering if there is any significance to the weird looking zombie Jerry killed.  Further mutation or just the grossest zombie we've seen thing?

IMHO Mister Melty will be more than a little significant, and we’ll find out why in fairly short order.  MM reminded me strongly of the walker remnants of the Atlanta firebombing which were melted into the pavement outside Grady - except this one still was still wearing shreds of clothing which were white-bleached around th3 tatters, but not burned.  Acid instead of fire, maybe?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

To be honest I still find Country Joe and the Claimers to be the most relatable “villains” CDB has encountered to date - specifically, in terms of the intrinsic sense of pragmatism carried to its logical extreme which formed the core of the entire Claimer ethos.

Exactly. Brutal and violent they were, but they seemed human, well Joe did anyway. We didn't hear a lot from the others. They didn't automatically kill Daryl and steal his stuff, as they could have.  As nasty as they were. Joe took him in because that made sense to him to strenghten their numbers with someone he saw as "one of us." They didn't exist only to pursue the path of evilness and mayhem and that Joe did seem human is what made him so scary to me precisely because, as you say - it's relatable, making us wonder to what WE might resort in such times.  Again, pure evil for its own sake is not frightening or interesting.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2017 at 9:48 PM, GreyBunny said:

I'm willing to handwave Shiva being an unusually smart tiger because that means at least ONE character on the show has some brains.

I’m just going to suspend my disbelief by convincing myself it has something to do with scent....because I am #teamShiva!

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Which is what makes this show so horribly predictable.

I guess that's why we're down to 3 pages on this thread.  I remember when there was a minimum of 15 pages and episode.  But it's all been said about this plot.

30 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

On a side note, maybe a thorn can get stuck in Shiva's paw. Negan can pull it out, and Shiva can switch sides and start going after Ezekiel and the Kingdom people.

I'm about *this* close to being Team Saviors.  Say what you will, Dude, at least it's an ethos.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 2:02 AM, rmontro said:

Actually, you may be on to something.  Morales showing up just now may not be a coincidence.  If they wanted to use him on FTWD, it makes sense that they would put him on TWD also, to remind everybody who he is.  He may run into the FWTD people in the past, since that show supposedly takes place in the past.

I quit watching FTWD early in the second season, but they were in Mexico at that time.  Are they back in the southern U.S.?

On 30/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, maystone said:

Overall this was a very confusing episode. Where the hell were Rick and Daryl? And when they first entered that building (apartment complex? municipal offices?) Weren't there a half dozen guys tagging along with them? Or was that another building? And what happened with Daryl after finding the Merle-esque handcuff escape room? I get that it freaked him out, but then we don't see him again until the end, and then both he and Rick appear to be outside (but those were close ups, so it was hard to tell).

I'm still trying to work out who was where.  Not TWD's finest episode..... so murky and ill-explained!

The end of it felt like everyone was on an acid trip (especially Daryl with the purple/green lights behind him!).

Such an odd episode!

• Love 2

The Cable Live +3 ratings are in for Episode 802, “The Damned”:

Episode 2 of “The Walking Dead” (5.6) stayed at No. 1 in adults 18-49 and passed “Monday Night Football” to take over the top spot in total viewers. [12.247 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-oct-23-29-2017/

Here are the Live + Same Day and Live +3 ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million; 15.047 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million; 12.247 million

Well, it's still outperforming everything else on cable and any number of shows on broadcast TV, but that drop in viewership would concern me if I were the showrunner.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Although I am becoming less invested in the show, I am in as long as Rick is!  Building up and focusing on Negan so much last season just lessened my interest.  I never wanted to watch a character whose ramblings were so ridiculous and juvenile, and yet held in such awe by his followers and the showrunners.  I have been invested in the story of a group of survivors who made mistakes, but became a family and tried their best to make it through the uncertainty and horror of the new world.  

Maybe the writers will redeem the story and the series this season.  I am hopeful...

• Love 2
On 11/4/2017 at 5:58 PM, RedheadZombie said:

I quit watching FTWD early in the second season, but they were in Mexico at that time.  Are they back in the southern U.S.?

They were for awhile, they've been flirting with the border.  Some of the cast has been in Mexico still and some have been in Southern California.  I think as of the last episode, they were all in Mexico again.  I've been watching, but I don't really care for the show.

• Love 1

I'm a week+ late to the party - too many Sunday options.  But this mess...

Poorly written and horribly directed.  Couldn't keep track of what was going on and didn't care.

On to the next episode, but I don't have particularly high hopes.

• Love 1

The Cable Live +7 ratings are in for Episode 802, "The Damned":

The two biggest delayed-viewing shows on cable kept hold of their spots in the week of Oct. 23.

“The Walking Dead” gained 2.0 points in adults 18-49 and 4.16 million viewers with seven days of playback, not far from the gains for its premiere a week earlier (2.2 and 4.28 million). [6.0 and 13.096 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-7-ratings-for-oct-23-29-2017/

Here are the Live + Same Day, Live +3, and Live +7 ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million; 15.047 million; 15.736 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million; 12.247 million; 13.096 million

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:56 AM, Dodginblue said:

The women who captured Maggie and Carol after the outpost attack, they weren't just cartoonishly evil. 

I thought they were.  They couldn't die fast enough for me.

• Love 1