Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: S.W.A.T.

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Your S.W.A.T. All Episodes Talk Topic!

A locally born SWAT sergeant, former Marine Daniel "Hondo" Harrison, is newly tasked to run a specialized tactical unit that is the last stop in law enforcement in Los Angeles.

• Love 1

Um. Yes please. What a show. Is it always going to be this action-packed? 

Holy crap. I'm in love. I definitely will be tuning in. I wish there were more women (would it have killed them to put TWO women on the squad?) here's hoping they eventually have more females represented. 

Not too bad for a pilot.

• Love 6

b-sound.jpg

Not exactly a home run...but not a stinker either. There's enough humanity and depth to say that it's got long-term potential but there's also the very good chance this becomes a rote police procedural only with more explosions.

Quite clearly this was the Shemar Moore Show. Not that I mind because I think he's a great actor and he more than proved he can carry this show on his own...but the casting suggested an ensemble and this was anything but. The team may have had half a dozen members but the only other members I knew was that hotshot Street and the shafted old guy Deacon.

Oh, and Hondo.

...and I guess the lone woman on the team. Whose name escapes me because I don't believe they ever mentioned it.

I won't comment too much on the plot tonight since it was basic action thriller fare, with a side of BLM-style commentary and politics thrown in. Not the worst of efforts, but it's clear this isn't the kind of show you'll go to for some deep, provocative mysteries.

We're just here to see things blow up.

...and Hondo without his shirt. You know, I'll give Moore credit that he's that incredible a shape at age 47. I know a lot of people at 27 who aren't as fit as he is. All that time at the gym paid off.

Not sure what to think of that forbidden love angle Hondo's got with Jessica Cortez (Stephanie Sigman). There's some sparks between the captain and the sergeant for sure and Sigman looks amazing but forbidden love stories are almost always predictable...eventually we know "Hontez" will be found out and they'll get in trouble. Kind of hilarious they signed a form allowing the relationship...is that standard practice?

Overall...worth a lot more looks, if only because of Moore who really seems to want this to work. I think it can if the rest of the team is up to the challenge.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

b-sound.jpg

Not exactly a home run...but not a stinker either. There's enough humanity and depth to say that it's got long-term potential but there's also the very good chance this becomes a rote police procedural only with more explosions.

Quite clearly this was the Shemar Moore Show. Not that I mind because I think he's a great actor and he more than proved he can carry this show on his own...but the casting suggested an ensemble and this was anything but. The team may have had half a dozen members but the only other members I knew was that hotshot Street and the shafted old guy Deacon.

Oh, and Hondo.

...and I guess the lone woman on the team. Whose name escapes me because I don't believe they ever mentioned it.

I won't comment too much on the plot tonight since it was basic action thriller fare, with a side of BLM-style commentary and politics thrown in. Not the worst of efforts, but it's clear this isn't the kind of show you'll go to for some deep, provocative mysteries.

We're just here to see things blow up.

...and Hondo without his shirt. You know, I'll give Moore credit that he's that incredible a shape at age 47. I know a lot of people at 27 who aren't as fit as he is. All that time at the gym paid off.

Not sure what to think of that forbidden love angle Hondo's got with Jessica Cortez (Stephanie Sigman). There's some sparks between the captain and the sergeant for sure and Sigman looks amazing but forbidden love stories are almost always predictable...eventually we know "Hontez" will be found out and they'll get in trouble. Kind of hilarious they signed a form allowing the relationship...is that standard practice?

Overall...worth a lot more looks, if only because of Moore who really seems to want this to work. I think it can if the rest of the team is up to the challenge.

Echoing all of this. I really did like the moments with Hondo trying to connect with people in the community, and the political angle with the shootings, I think if the show can tap into that side of things more often, and as long as they continue to flesh out the other characters and give the show a more ensemble feel, it could work, and would wind up being a little different from the usual CBS fare. 

• Love 2

It WS oky. Pilot eps aren't always the best so I'll Lee watching. What bugs me is that Kenny Johnson's character name on the CBS site is Dominique Luca. The 70s version was spelled correctly, Dominic. Spelling error?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Um. Yes please. What a show. Is it always going to be this action-packed? 

Holy crap. I'm in love. I definitely will be tuning in. I wish there were more women (would it have killed them to put TWO women on the squad?) here's hoping they eventually have more females represented. 

Not too bad for a pilot.

My DD is actually a SWAT team commander in CA, and a Police Captain. It would be nice if the show could reflect that females have a valid place on the team.

Edited by rainbowrockgal
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

When Major Crimes did the fraternization issue the Captain's boss had to sign off on the relationship.

The eye rolling issue was Street, rebel transfer from another city who is not even tested but joins an elite team. Just as easily is he moves up from another unit in Metro like the female ex dog handler. While dropping the other names from the original they skipped McCabe, probably because of the race swap between Deacon and Hondo. Unless Deacon's name is McCabe 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I did love the use of the theme music from the original series at the very end.

Is that what it was?  I thought it was reminiscent of the theme music from Shaft.

• Love 2

Netfoot, I didn't think you were doubting me.  When I heard the music, I thought it was from the original, but I had to find it to satisfy my own curiosity.  I agree that it was 'Shaftesque'.  I think a lot of the theme music from the '70s was like that.  ('Baretta', 'Starsky & Hutch', etc.)

I didn't realize at first that they were hanging out at an old abandoned shopping mall until near the end.  I thought they were in a deserted part of town under an overpass or something.  That was kind of an interesting setting. 

I forgot to mention that I loved the scene in the beauty shop.  'One for each of us.  (and as the one female officer walks in--I still don't know her name) ...and one for my Denise.' 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

It was fairly formulaic, but I did like the action.  And Shemar is definitely easy on the eyes.  I'll keep watching.

If anything the shoot out action was overdone. They put out more fire than the SEAL Team and the special ops team on The Brave in all of their missions combined. Some parts were real bad like no other cops backing up the first two fighting automatic weapons until SWAT arrived. Or an entire team going into the beauty salon so Hondo could talk an old friend not quite a confidential informant.. And I have to hit on the Long Beach transfer directly to a SWAT team of a rebel Street again as my major story complaint. Compared to the two military teams it is the least real feeling, but still above Valor. However the Sergeant and his Captain's affair doesn't drag down the show like the dead SEAL's secret life does

I was hoping that they went old school and used the music for opening credits like Hawaii 5-0 and now The Orville with its Star Trek Voyager like opening did.

• Love 4

I like political issues in my TV as a general rule, but I think it was an uneasy fit here. Black Lives Matter is a real life issue, but on this show it was existing side-by-side with criminal gangs who have military assault rifles and RPGs. I don't think any bank crew in real life has ever had that kind of hardware. If you're going to do a fantasy action show, then you have to be very careful about bringing in real life issues. This show didn't fall on its face, but it also didn't really use Black Lives Matter as anything more than window dressing.

Shemar Moore is great, though. I think as long as they don't go full Blue Bloods, then the show will be tolerable enough for me to watch every once in a while.

• Love 2

If you ride a motorcycle in traffic in such a dangerous manner, do you simply get a ticket?  Or do you get the bracelets snapped on and dragged down to the station?  Is someone who demonstrates such infantile behaviour and complete disregard for the public safety, the type of person whose hands into which you want to place automatic weapons, and let them go upon an unsuspecting city?

Would any police department allow a team of SWAT officers to operate from an abandonned mall?

Should we applaud the team commander whose first act is to completely disregard the orders he is given, and instead do exactly what he was instructed not to do?

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

If you ride a motorcycle in traffic in such a dangerous manner, do you simply get a ticket?  Or do you get the bracelets snapped on and dragged down to the station?  Is someone who demonstrates such infantile behaviour and complete disregard for the public safety, the type of person whose hands into which you want to place automatic weapons, and let them go upon an unsuspecting city?

Would any police department allow a team of SWAT officers to operate from an abandonned mall?

Should we applaud the team commander whose first act is to completely disregard the orders he is given, and instead do exactly what he was instructed not to do?

Well in this case the orders were to return to the pre Rodney King riots tactics of Chief Gates hammer policing 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Raja said:

Well in this case the orders were to return to the pre Rodney King riots tactics of Chief Gates hammer policing 

So what?  Do American police officers get to choose which orders they will obey and which they won't?  Is policy, handed down by senior officers, optional?  I didn't think that the para-military arm of the police force got to operate on a whim.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I thought it was pretty bad.  I didn't know you could pack so many clichés and stereotypes into a single hour! 

Yup. It was very paint by numbers. Old mentor who is sidelined in some way, check, hesitant hero thrust into the spotlight, check, hothead rookie who annoys everyone but has deeper issues, check, workplace romance that has obstacles placed in front of it, check. It seemed no different than any other cop/military show. 

But pilots can be rocky so hopefully the show can find its footing. I do think it needs to find its niche that lets it separate itself from shows in this same genre. The actors seem capable enough for the most part and they are all pretty to look at so I'll give the show a few more episodes. 

5 hours ago, Raja said:

If anything the shoot out action was overdone. They put out more fire than the SEAL Team and the special ops team on The Brave in all of their missions combined. Some parts were real bad like no other cops backing up the first two fighting automatic weapons until SWAT arrived. Or an entire team going into the beauty salon so Hondo could talk an old friend not quite a confidential informant.. And I have to hit on the Long Beach transfer directly to a SWAT team of a rebel Street again as my major story complaint. Compared to the two military teams it is the least real feeling, but still above Valor. However the Sergeant and his Captain's affair doesn't drag down the show like the dead SEAL's secret life does

I was hoping that they went old school and used the music for opening credits like Hawaii 5-0 and now The Orville with its Star Trek Voyager like opening did.

I really hated how the entire team had to go out searching for leads. That seemed so strange and so obvious too. I know Hondo was trying to make the community feel like family but a massive group of SWAT members showing up just seemed unrealistic and likely something that would make people nervous and less talkative. He should have just gone himself or with one other member. 

I hated Street's introduction. The character seems fine and has potential but they want us to believe that an elite level cop would be that careless? And also survived long enough at his old job to get transferred? He literally ran right at an active shooter. 

• Love 3

In between moments of mind-numbing stupidity was a show I could like.  I mean shirtless Shemar is a great start.  But no one was covering the back of the warehouse at the beginning?  Seriously?

This could not have been more of a Justin Lin joint if it were called “Fast & Furious: LA Edition.”

I did love the kid’s cousin - “this is just us taking.  I’m not snitching.”

The police chief or whoever he is looks so much like Gil Garcetti (I think that’s his name, the older LA DA) I thought it was him.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I am wondering how many times Shemar will have his shirt off per episode though...seemed a bit over the top...and the scenes near downtown LA were laughable...as the implication that it was a school day meant that downtown would be busy....that looked like light Sunday traffic to me...

I may watch again but I won't switch off How To Get Away With Murder for it.

• Love 1

It was pretty bad, despite Shemar Moore being all sweaty and half-naked all over the place and Jay Harrington looking like a British aristocrat with his perfect bone structure. Too much characters who are cardboard cut-outs, not enough common sense. The New Guy is even worse than SEAL Team's New Guy, and ST NW is an obnoxious asshole.

I'm not an expert on age regulations in SWAT teams but how come the rival team's SO is like 70-years-old? Is US police pensions are so bad that senior citizens have to work until their dying day?

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 5:40 AM, BooksRule said:

It was fairly formulaic, but I did like the action.  And Shemar is definitely easy on the eyes.  I'll keep watching.

Agreed, I liked it. I think the characters will get fleshed out (ha) over time, and I'm willing to give it some time. I think the cast is great. I'm in.

• Love 3

I was expecting high-octane action, thriller and intense drama...it was none of that. It was boring and didn't set up many storylines for future episodes.

I have no interest in returning to this show.

Nearly as bad as last week.  More racially inspired draaama, thankfully not as much as last week.  

Shemar Moore shows complete disregard for his girlfriend's desire not to flush her career down the toilet.  Naturally, by episode conclusion, she has totally caved, because who can resist someone named "Hondo?"

I'd have fired Rookie after the first sentence he uttered.  And I'd have fired him again, after the second sentence he uttered.  What is with American TV that makes them think we are just going to love the smart-mouth kid with a bad attitude?

Titular character made his reputation using a cheap piece of shit from Amazon?  Orange juice squirted out of my nose when I saw it.  They can afford a plethora of ordinance for use as props, not to mention vehicles and a helicopter, but they couldn't spend more than twenty five bucks to buy a halfway decent knife for the bad guy to brandish?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Shemar Moore shows complete disregard for his girlfriend's desire not to flush her career down the toilet.  Naturally, by episode conclusion, she has totally caved, because who can resist someone named "Hondo?"

I'll agree with this. I don't mind them as a couple, but yeah, hopefully the whole "secret relationship" back and forth stuff can sort itself our quickly one way or another.

I'd have fired Rookie after the first sentence he uttered.  And I'd have fired him again, after the second sentence he uttered.  What is with American TV that makes them think we are just going to love the smart-mouth kid with a bad attitude?

Because they're tough and tell it like it is, and are just too cool for school, or something? I dunno. 

I did like his interactions with Casper (side note: really? Casper?), though. And I'm already wondering if he and the girl he did the protection detail with are going to have their own little thing

Jessica's concern for that family was nice, too. I wish she'd had a few more scenes with them, too, and been part of the lookout for them somehow.

• Love 1

When Hondo was telling the other group about how the escapee was acting crazy and violent and they had to lock him in the trunk, and everyone got ready with guns and tasers I fully expected to see the guy passed out and snoring in the trunk (which would lead to more jokes from the other team).  I was actually pleased to see him barrel out of the trunk bellowing, charge the group and have to be zapped.

As a southerner, it made me happy to see Hondo adding containers of rice to the packet of food he was going to take to the family. (at least that's what it looked like)  You can't have gumbo without rice.  Too many shows that aren't set in New Orleans skip that part. 

• Love 4

I still really like it, but man, are there a LOT of conflicts going on in-house.  I dont mind the competition between the two teams, but I dislike how they’re going after Hondo and the conflict with the Rookie, and the secret romance. It just seems like a lot of balls are being juggled when I just want to meet the team and see their relationships. I like that Deacon stood up for himself and for the team. Nobody likes to be passed over for a promotion, but how you act in response definitely shows character.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2017 at 3:01 AM, CooperTV said:

The New Guy is even worse than SEAL Team's New Guy, and ST NW is an obnoxious asshole.

Ha!  I thought the same thing.  Why oh why does there always have to be an annoyingly arrogant, know-it-all rookie?  Blech!

I also don't give a flying fig about the Hondo/bosslady affair.  Zero sparks there that I can tell.

I came for Shemar Moore but the Deacon guy is also very easy on the eyes.

The pilot wasn't bad but it wasn't all that good either.  I'll give it another couple before deciding.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2017 at 10:38 PM, Netfoot said:

Nearly as bad as last week.  More racially inspired draaama, thankfully not as much as last week.  

Titular character made his reputation using a cheap piece of shit from Amazon?  Orange juice squirted out of my nose when I saw it.  They can afford a plethora of ordinance for use as props, not to mention vehicles and a helicopter, but they couldn't spend more than twenty five bucks to buy a halfway decent knife for the bad guy to brandish?

I pretty much cosign all of this.  Well, except for the knife stuff because I know squat about weapons.

Edited by rove4

I wish that guy who used to post on the Southland boards would come here, I loved the “inside LAPD” stuff.

This show continues to be so stupid and I hate it.  But dammit there are also parts I find interesting and I’ll still watch because I am weak.

When you are in an active meth lab, would you really put an explosive charge on a door?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I wish that guy who used to post on the Southland boards would come here, I loved the “inside LAPD” stuff.

This show continues to be so stupid and I hate it.  But dammit there are also parts I find interesting and I’ll still watch because I am weak.

When you are in an active meth lab, would you really put an explosive charge on a door?

@Snowprince.  I don't think that there is any chance whatsoever that Snowprince is following this show. From what I have taken over the years he doesn't hate watch and won't even go for things more true to life but Hollywoodized like the squad of Lieutenants being lead by a transferred in Chief doing a Lieutenants job on The Closer

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

letter-c.png

I think there's a lot to like about this show, but there's way too much holding it down. They have way too many storylines in place, storylines more suited for when the show is more established.

This early on, I don't want to see a rivalry amongst the team or a secret romance or a smart-mouthed newcomer the team's gotta slow down.

I just want to see cases of the week where I get to learn a little bit more about the characters each week. Just give me some straight up action, some smart mouths, kick down some doors and bust some bad guys, and leave it at that.

Once you've established the show and established the characters, then you can have some drama and interpersonal problems and issues and other "beyond the case" stuff the team has to deal with- because then we actually know the characters and can actually care about what happens to them.

Yeah, I get that perhaps Shemar Moore didn't want to do "just another police procedural", but he's hamstringing his own show by piling on so many dramas that it's hard to keep up with them.

I will give him credit that at least SWAT integrates the storylines seamlessly into the stories, instead of using separate scenes to tell each part of the story.

...but I still think all these hanging threads are too much, especially when we're still just getting to know everyone.

I think the case was fine and it had enough twists and turns to keep me engaged. I was certain Cuchillo would come after the family and that the final showdown would be there, so I credit the show for sending the cousin and then having the showdown at the ranch.

I also appreciated that the family didn't bite it. Too many times on TV a character says "you will survive- I promise" and it just signs the protected's death warrant.

So, good on the show for that.

Still, it's got way too much to sort itself through, and they need to sort through it soon- or else I'll just be too confused to even care anymore.

• Love 3

This show started with a crap premiere and has been trending downward since then.  

The lead has less range than Zoolander.  Each other character is a different caricature, but they are all caricatures.

The plots are incredibly transparent, and the dialog is artificial.

The seques from professional to private life do nothing to build interest.  Because, stupid smart-alec new-guy I care absolutely nothing about?  I care even less about his mom.  Or whoever that was, because I didn't care enough to notice who she was.  

I am willing to bet this show has incredibly high ratings, because the sheeple just love rubbish like this.  But I'm out.

I'm kinda curious about this whole thing with the mom. I'm still not fully sold on her son as a character yet, but the idea of the team having a potential thorn in their side as the season goes on could make for some good storylines.

I liked the exchange between Hondo, that guy, and Robert's wife:

"Is my husband in trouble?"

"Well, we want to ask him about murder, heroin, and human trafficking."

"So, maybe."

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, gaucho91 said:

I thought the most ridiculous part of the episode was Hondo making that very precise sniper shot from a helicopter that was hovering and moving around.

That was ripped from the headlines to cross franchises. A LAPD sniper did that back in May 2017. The US Coast Guard has a specialty in sniping from helicopters but they focus on hitting the engine of a go fast boat. But in that mission sure thing one shot one kill is unnecessary.

What was ridiculous was LAPD having a special operations Black Hawk all decked out and insignia for SWAT only

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm kinda curious about this whole thing with the mom. I'm still not fully sold on her son as a character yet, but the idea of the team having a potential thorn in their side as the season goes on could make for some good storylines.

I’ll admit I wasn't paying complete attention but Hondo’s exchange with the mother left me confused. I thought she was a domestic violence victim who went in for killing her abuser. She was reaching out on behalf of a cellmate to prevent this other woman from further domestic abuse. Then, suddenly, she was a prison drug queenpin kneecapping her competition and manipulating her son to do so. The story took a turn and left me behind. Did Hondo have information about her that Street doesn’t? And why keep it from him? Why would you let anyone have their strings pulled by a sociopath?

On 11/17/2017 at 11:50 AM, Irishmaple said:

Did Hondo have information about her that Street doesn’t?

Hondo’s boss gave him a folder with info about the guy Street scrapped with so there must have been something in there that tipped him off.

Street’s mom is played by the hotsy-totsy actress from Twin Peaks original recipe who could tie a cherry stem with her tongue?

The music in the scenes at the beginning was overly intrusive.  I thought we were watching them make a training video.

I’m still in.  I’m not hate-watching just yet.

• Love 1

letter-c.png

I always said this show has a lot of potential, and tonight it seemed to take a step in the right direction.

I'm not sure it's there quite yet.

For once, we seemed to get a pretty seamless story where everything fit together and everyone seemed to have a role. It wasn't just "The Shemar Moore and His More Than Decent Physique Show" (Moore actually kept his shirt on for this episode)- the team was noticeable and everyone did more than just stand around while Street acted like an idiot and Hondo took the killshots.

I also thought the stuff with Street worked in this one, although I think they had enough material for an entire episode and should have devoted an episode to Jimmy and his mother. The twist at the end was kind of jarring as there was little set-up for it.

As for the case itself- lots of action, lots of gunfire, lots of running around. Women in bikinis (hey, it's LA) and a bit of a surprise reveal that it wasn't just the staffing firm's chief who was the ringleader but his wife. I didn't see the wife shooting the homicide detective.

Also...good to see Mig Macario as Father Guzman...that's two straight nights he's been on a CBS show at 10PM, since he was on Criminal Minds the night before in "Dust and Bones", where he was similarly noticeable. Someone's got to give him a bigger role in the future.

Still, though, many of the performances were kind of rote, in that they were "good but not great" and the storyline was really nothing to write home about. I know last week I said I wanted a show that fit more like a standard procedural (because that's what this show is billed as), but this was too standard.

Oh and minor quibble- why do the bad guys have this habit of leaving their cover to shoot at the SWAT guys? Do they have a death wish? Or is the writer- or rather, the director- trying to expedite the shooting scenes by making the mooks foolish?

I want this show to do well because I think Shemar Moore deserves it and I think this show has a concept that works...they're just struggling to find the right mix, and they need to find it soon or else this show will be gone- just like the other two times.

Edited by Danielg342
  • Love 2

The storyline was rubbish.  Once SWAQT secured the Heroin House, their job was done; the "regular" LAPD would take over.  But every show like this has to have the small department (CSI is the other main offender) do everything.  Sooooooooooooo dumb!

On 11/17/2017 at 8:50 AM, Irishmaple said:

Did Hondo have information about her that Street doesn’t? And why keep it from him? Why would you let anyone have their strings pulled by a sociopath?

Hondo's boss showed him the guy's rap sheet that showed he'd been bringing in contraband to Mom's rial.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, mojoween said:

Street’s mom is played by the hotsy-totsy actress from Twin Peaks original recipe who could tie a cherry stem with her tongue

Sherilyn Fenn

On 11/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, jhlipton said:

The storyline was rubbish.  Once SWAQT secured the Heroin House, their job was done; the "regular" LAPD would take over.  But every show like this has to have the small department (CSI is the other main offender) do everything.  Sooooooooooooo dumb!

The regular LAPD doesn't have any resources left since they all go to SWAT headquarters and helicopters.  Somehow SWAT got a tip about a heroin distribution hub and I was wondering where was the rest of the department or the narcotics detectives when they went in.  I remember the docudrama based on the North Hollywood bank shootout with the armored assault rifled duo. The SWAT team got stuck in traffic trying to reach the scene. Like all over CBS shows from Criminal Minds to NCIS and famously the Miami helicopter chasing the crime lab Humvee in CSI Miami our guys get there first, even if the airport is out in the suburbs.

They are basically Chicago PD's Intelligence squad minus the torture.  But in uniform muscle t-shirts instead of plain clothes. Back in 1975 having the SWAT team show up with M16s was a big deal. In 2017 every cop has one in his trunk and you need something more from your show.

The homicide detective has to be the best cop character the show has produced thus far. I wouldn't mind having him developing cases where he  needs Hondo and the boys to bring the big stick.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Raja said:

Back in 1975 having the SWAT team show up with M16s was a big deal. In 2017 every cop has one in his trunk and you need something more from your show.

As late as 1987, SWAT was hardly used at all, much to the consternation of Howard Hunter (he would have been sooooo happy to see SWAT run the LAPD!)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

As late as 1987, SWAT was hardly used at all, much to the consternation of Howard Hunter (he would have been sooooo happy to see SWAT run the LAPD!)

I see your "eater" LT Hunter and raise you Captain Cain of BJ and The Bear