Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: We Become What We...Frank!

• Start Topic

The Gallaghers find themselves with money to burn as Carl sells their inheritance from Monica. Fiona swears off random hookups to focus on her new apartment building. Lip deals with the sacrifice that comes with sobriety. Frank emerges out of a meth-induced haze to make amends for decades of depravity.

Promo:

Clip:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

A few things:

Got a laugh over the guy eating quinoa entranced listening to Fiona talk about her Tinder experiences. 

Of course Ian bought rainbow colored condoms to give out! 

I thought that Vee might call ICE...but how will it come back on her because I'm sure that Svetlana has connections and won't be staying in lock up too long. 

Frank sure was itching a lot. Scabies or lice? 

Kev. My first thought was that the customer was Vice but was surprised that a Cardiologist would find a 4 cm breast lump that quickly. Not sure how I feel about this as his storyline. 

Im thinking something was wonky with the timeline as Debbie was still in welding school yet Lip was already doing a mechanic's job. I did love her reply to the man at the parking garage. Just the facts about what she would do. 

Poor Liam is designated to be the token black kid for prospective parents. 

Congratulations to @NotChu for having predicted part of the meth storyline (the man who owned the motorcycle jacket who'd come looking for it. It didn't play exactly that way but close enough.) 

I'm glad it's back on but see that they still are beset by problems no matter how hard they try (or don't). So much more to comment on but later. 

• Love 2

Poor Lip, Sierra and Eddie (Asian biker chick all tatted up) are dissing him.  But this is Shameless so in the next episode or two, they'll both be slobbering over him and offering to do threesome with him.

If Svetlana is an illegal, how does she enter into a contract for property in the US?  Of course it won't be that easy for Vee and Kev to get rid of Svetlana.  I guess they're taking a little political dig, when the ICE guy said they don't prioritize prosecuting Russian illegals ("you really have to ask?").

Carl must be a Trumpster, talking about America First and talking resentment at "coastal elites."  So of course he'd rationalize selling drugs, even as he angles to have a big military career.  He learned moral rationalizations from the best, Frank.

Ian's story is dumb.

And I guess Fiona is going to have problems with deadbeats.  So that dildo-sized penis made her give up the Tinder  life?  Why would it, if she started up with it in the first place?

• Love 4

It's so weird seeing Debbie & Carl semi-grown up. Debbie's new welding teacher is gorgeous.

New Liam is too adorable. He already even has the patented Gallagher 'WTF sigh' down.

Vee removing her doorknockers to brawl with Lana was AMAZING. Also? Shanola is BEAUTIFUL & her body is INSANE.

Speaking of great bodies, Kevin's body is also insane. The Ball-Fisher household is full of nothing but pretty people.

Trevor needs to die ASAP. Worst Character Ever.

Do not care about Sierra, Neil, Charlie or Lucas.

Do not care about Frank.

Do not care about Fiona's temporary trip to Lesbian Land.

Lip playing secret benefactor for Sierra was ridiculous but his repaying Youens was surprisingly sweet.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8

I'm pretty sure Liam was recast because the previous twins playing him, while cute, really couldn't act. You can see right away this new actor is much better at dialogue than those two ever were. One problem with casting kids as toddlers, you never know if they have any talent until they grow up. If anyone remember Seventh Heaven, the youngest kids that were twins were really bad as they grew up, but were never recast. 

As a breast cancer survivor myself, I admit my heart stopped when Kevin was told by the customer he had a lump. I went through all this in the winter, spring and summer and I'm not sure I'll be able to watch if Kevin has to go through chemotherapy. 

I do like the idea of Fiona being a landlord, as she's her own boss there. I guess Vee had to go work for Fiona after losing the bar but it's fun to see them together there. Have a feeling Svetlana isn't gone for good.

Sheila will be coming back at some point and I'm very excited about that. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Frank sure was itching a lot. Scabies or lice

More than likely they're  meth sores - notice too his teeth are coming out

Google  'Meth face'

Kev. My first thought was that the customer was Vice but was surprised that a Cardiologist would find a 4 cm breast lump that quickly. Not sure how I feel about this as his storyline. 

Yrs back on Queer as folk,  Brian hooked up with a Dr, After sex/ball gabbing the Dr told him he had a lump on a nut an to get it checked out.

It was cancerous

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

On the rare occasion that a man has breast cancer on tv, I always think of O'Reilly on Oz.

Ugh, Vanessa from Gossip Girl is now Nessa on Shameless? I wanted to give her a chance, but it's hard for me to like someone who puts up with having such an unlikable girlfriend.

• Love 2

Despite how old and silly the show is it is still fun to watch.  Sober Frank is as much an ass as regular Frank but it might be fun to watch him for awhile half ass his amends.

Fiona is so gonna have sex with her female tenant.  I will be very disappointed if she doesn’t.

The Liam storyline is weird but funny.  Is that a private school?  Or has the district become so renovated that the school become middle class white and Liam is being used as the resident black?

Ian can do better then Trevor.  Hell half the reck center......

Debi and Carl are fun and Funny

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I wonder who is going to disable that Revele alarm! 

It is interesting to see how they are going to spend their inheritance. I liked Frank telling Carl that his Mom would have approved of him buying a hot tub with some of his part.  It's rare that Frank does/says something that makes one of his children feel good. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The Liam storyline is weird but funny.  Is that a private school?  Or has the district become so renovated that the school become middle class white and Liam is being used as the resident black?

Liam started attending private school last season.

• Love 1

Frank rant about Monica having taken his shakra actually made a lot of sense if you're Frank. His love/obsession with Monica was what turned him into Frank, and now that she's gone, I can see himself thinking he's free. Making amends scenes are usually pretty lame, and this wasn't much different, but it at least made Frank sort of interesting as he's somehow deciding at however old to grow up and realizing he's stunted at 21. When you think about it, he does act a lot like a 21-year-old. 

Vee and Lana are married -- that's how she was able to stay in the country before. I don't see how the bar wouldn't be community property, though. And Vee could make a case for fraud -- she married Svet and then she stole from her. I think that's a case that would stick. Svet only showing Red Army marching videos was quite a funny line, and that the regulars keep coming despite all the changes. Your home bar is your home bar, I guess. And I also think there was a surprising element of affection -- maybe not the right word -- in Svet when she told Vee that if the throuple was back, she was back. Interesting dynamic there beyond evil Russian steals from dumb Americans. 

Lip's storyline gave me some hope, and I can see the attraction of wanting to work with his hands on things that are tangible. But I hope at some point he's able and willing to do more. Sierra's a jerk for brining her ex home, though, when she knew Lip was there. If she planned on that, she could have just said no to the babysitting, and if she didn't she should have shown a little compassion. I think he's crossed over into recovery. At least until Karen returns. 

Debbie's stuff was good. She seems to be returning to the old Debbie -- pragmatic and hard working and with a goal in mind and using her Monica money to get there (build her own welding stuff was a cool touch). Her husband is getting a bit of a short shrift, but she's doing what she can. Carl was funny, Ian's stuff I don't care about but he had a nice easy-going vibe to him. I think Liam's storyline might be going someplace -- it would put Fiona and newly enlightened Frank in a difficult position. Do you allow your "kid" to be used as a token but he gets to stay in a great school, or do you send him to the public schools out of principle? I understand from teh school's perspective too -- they're giving him a free ride at an expensive place. Think of him as a kid on an atheltic scholarship -- you play for us, we pay for you. 

I liked Fiona staring at the cock and going through all her emotions before deciding to bail. She was a little harsh on the guy -- he figured this was what she was after, and she had been. I wonder if her newfound desire for a relationship forebears the return of Stimmy. 

Good hopeful beginning to the season. Hope it keeps going from here. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I really just want Mickey to be a cast regular.. stop making him leaveee

Me too.  And of course my satellite went out last night right at the part where they are at border and Ian tells him he's not going with him.....so pissed I missed my Mickey fix!!  If you are a fan of Noel Fisher, he is in a new mini-series that is starting tomorrow on Nat Geo channel called Long Road Home.  The show and the actors are getting rave reviews.

Edited by Cupcake04
corrected title of show
  • Love 3

Nothing too great about the opener except Carl.

Trevor needs to go away.

There's nothing wrong with Liam being the poster child for diversity since he's getting a fee ride, but they need to interact with him more so that being used is worthwhile. Because this is Shameless, he'll probably drop-trou in front of some prospective parents and get kicked out.

Fiona has a black thumb when it comes to success. Same with Debbie. She is so gonna hook up with too handsome guy which will be smarmy in the age of Weinsteinism (she's 16 right?)

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 1

I predict the comments here will be much the same as last year: the show would improve by 50% if they'd just kill off Frank. His shenanigans are just tiresome now. I don't mind watching this show in real time because there are no commercials, but I do feel the urge to FF thru all the Frank scenes. I get irritated with all the characters at one point or another but in the long run I'm still interested in what happens to most of them. That's just not the case with Frank. I just don't care about him, at all.

With the recast, it looks like Liam could finally be a character on this show. He's really been little more than a prop for the last seven seasons. 

I really wish they would stop trying to make Trevor happen. I'm not sure why he bugs me so much but it has always felt like the show is forcing him on us. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I really wish they would stop trying to make Trevor happen. I'm not sure why he bugs me so much but it has always felt like the show is forcing him on us. 

I also watch the Fosters and he is on that show as well so I feel like I just see way too much of him

• Love 5

I'll be interested to see whether we've seen the last of Svetlana. It seems to me if the bar was signed over to her it doesn't automatically revert to Kevin and Vee if she's deported. 

Vee and Lana are married -- that's how she was able to stay in the country before. I don't see how the bar wouldn't be community property, though.

If you recall, last season they found out Svetlana was already married to that Russian guy she said was her father (he turned out to be her husband). So that invalidates her marriage to Vee.

Also, if you remember, Showtime's episode description for last season's finale said that Kevin and Vee got even with Svetlana but it seemed to have been cut from the episode itself. So I'm guessing this plot point was held over from last season and reworked into this episode.

• Love 2

I've seen comments about Sheila and Karen coming back. Can we please keep spoilers in the spolier thread?

I didn't know that this show was coming back yet until it turned up on my PVR. Lots of new storylines, it will be an interesting season.

Lip better not fall off the wagon.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AEMom said:

I've seen comments about Sheila and Karen coming back. Can we please keep spoilers in the spolier thread?

I have no knowledge of either of those things happening. My statement about Karen was only to say that if you wanted a way to wreck Lip's sobriety, bring Karen back into the mix because I believe that Karen is Lip's Monica. 

• Love 2

Lip may be sober but he blew a chance at a 4-year and maybe graduate degrees.

That was a pretty reliable ticket to the upper middle-class.

So sobriety is important but otherwise doesn't have much going on.  Of course he's going to get all the poon he wants soon enough, because this is Shameless.

Otherwise, there's not much of a future in fixing motorcycles.  Though they'll probably have some rich biker wannabe adopt him or something, with a beautiful daughter who's going to be all over him.

And then he'll mess that up and they'll go through a down cycle followed by everything falling into his lap again.  Then down, then back up, etc. as long as the major cast members still want to keep doing the show.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Dee said:

If any woman of Lip's is his 'Monica,' it's Mandy imo. They're the duo that thrives off of self destruction and self pity. Karen is Lip's Sheila.

But Mandy was also the one who was willing to give Lip up so he could have a better life. Karen was willing to destroy Lips chance so she could get what she wanted.

Actually, it's the other way around.

Mandy never 'gave Lip up' because he was never hers to 'give up' and Lip quit her.

Karen never tried to destroy Lip's chance at anything, nor was she constantly violent towards him ala Mandy.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Dee said:

Actually, it's the other way around.

Mandy never 'gave Lip up' because he was never hers to 'give up' and Lip quit her.

Karen never tried to destroy Lip's chance at anything, nor was she constantly violent towards him ala Mandy.

I think Karen actively tried to destroy Lip at least once. Other times she just broke his heart, but did so rather callously. And he always came back, just like Frank to Monica. 

I don't think Mandy fits any other character profile. She's just Mandy.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, whiporee said:

I have no knowledge of either of those things happening. My statement about Karen was only to say that if you wanted a way to wreck Lip's sobriety, bring Karen back into the mix because I believe that Karen is Lip's Monica. 

I was really excited about Shelia returning. Really, really, really, excited. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, whiporee said:

I think Karen actively tried to destroy Lip at least once.

When was this? And when did she 'break Lip's heart?'

Because other than the situation with Frank, Karen was always very upfront with Lip about her goals and his place in her life. It was Lip who kept inserting himself in her life, solely due to his own issues. Just as he's doing with Sierra now.

Mandy certainly fits the Monica position in Lip's life. Other than completing his college apps, which had the side benefit of potential inclusion for her, she rarely puts Lip first. And when Lip dares to act/think for himself or draw even the slightest boundaries, she responds in typical Milkovich style, ie, via extreme violence.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1

I've been following this show since the early seasons and for the life of me the new Liam just feels so weird, out of place and adult (for lack of a better word). Season 8's Liam is actually functional, responsible, talkative and isn't a deadbeat like he was for the past seasons which is why it feels hard to grasp as that's the real Liam we're supposed to think he is.

It's like Frank is a good guy all of the sudden. No, just no. And how Fiona won't get conned somehow out of buying that building and never mind that she stupidly didn't have her own lawyer to double-check everything was properly done.

Maybe I'm just expecting logic and somewhat realism out of it considering they're trying real hard to go down that path for its story.

P.S. The Trevor and Ian love relationship is still lame as it was before. :P

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Philip said:

Liam is actually functional, responsible, talkative and isn't a deadbeat

How in the world was Liam a "deadbeat"?  Until he was aged up he was all of 5 or 6 years old, I don't understand how one interprets a young child as being a deadbeat, even on a show like Shameless.

We've only seen one episode of the new Liam, but him being a little mature for his age makes sense to me.  The kid was often left alone and his siblings are all so much older than him, either he was going to be totally stunted or grow up fast.    It will be interesting how the balance Liam being so chill (if that is the direction they're going with him) and being outrageous since everyone on Shameless has to act, well, shameless sometimes.

• Love 4

I won't attempt to speak for the original poster but the comment about Liam might actually be more like he was a prop than a person. That's what I posted earlier - they didn't really put any effort into having a very young child who could act or react or really participate in a story in any meaningful way. It was just a kid who sat there and rarely spoke. Now they've got a kid who can actually act and be a character rather than a prop.

(And yes, it is possible to have a very small child as young as 2 or 3 and get scene-appropriate reactions out of them if you put the time in. It's just that Shameless never bothered before.)

• Love 1

I look forward to this season.

I actually do like Trevor but that's because I enjoy the actor. I think he is a cutie. But I understand others not enjoying him on Shameless. 1. him and Ian have no chemistry. I don't know if the actor that plays Ian is gay or not, but they just come off as friends. 2. They didn't really do any character development with him, his whole storyline is just he's a really nice trans guy. The Gallaghers need a more effed up person to date and mingle with. The whole "my demons play well with your demons" thing. The actor that plays Trevor does have chemistry with the girl on Foster's, its just lacking on Shameless with Ian. 

I do hope that Fiona has a lesbian fling. I think it would be good for her. It can be very empowering. Besides, I have not enjoyed any of her past boyfriends at all. 

Yes Liam was always just a prop before, so it will be interesting getting to know his character now. Glad to see Debbie so focused. Her character was annoying last season. And I hope Lip gets his shit together but not too much. It would be boring if we just see him sober and working at a motorcyle shop. 

7 hours ago, Dee said:

When was this? And when did she 'break Lip's heart?'

Because other than the situation with Frank, Karen was always very upfront with Lip about her goals and his place in her life. It was Lip who kept inserting himself in her life, solely due to his own issues. Just as he's doing with Sierra now.

Mandy certainly fits the Monica position in Lip's life. Other than completing his college apps, which had the side benefit of potential inclusion for her, she rarely puts Lip first. And when Lip dares to act/think for himself or draw even the slightest boundaries, she responds in typical Milkovich style, ie, via extreme violence.

Well, she fucked/raped his dad. On video.  And Lip was there on the swings with her afterwards. 

She told him the baby was his and recruited him to try and sell it to the nice couple. And then harshly rejected him when the baby was Asian and had some birth defects.

When he and Mandy were together, she made a point to tell Mandy that she and Lip were going to get back together and it was inevitable. That's what led Mandy to running her over. I'm pretty sure she hooked up with him while she was married to Tony? or whatever his name was. 

I'd have to go back through seasons one and two for more examples, but I think those pretty much fit the bill. 

6 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

How in the world was Liam a "deadbeat"?  Until he was aged up he was all of 5 or 6 years old, I don't understand how one interprets a young child as being a deadbeat, even on a show like Shameless.

We've only seen one episode of the new Liam, but him being a little mature for his age makes sense to me.  The kid was often left alone and his siblings are all so much older than him, either he was going to be totally stunted or grow up fast.    It will be interesting how the balance Liam being so chill (if that is the direction they're going with him) and being outrageous since everyone on Shameless has to act, well, shameless sometimes.

Liam was brain damaged (thanks to Fiona but he wasn't a sharp shooter either) for the past seasons and back then he never spoke clearly, fluently or coherently as he does now. This just feels so out of place because Liam was never like this and they never even bothered on referring or showing that he was getting any treatments yet, out of the sudden he's as normal as the next kid.

58 minutes ago, Philip said:

Liam was brain damaged (thanks to Fiona but he wasn't a sharp shooter either) for the past seasons and back then he never spoke clearly, fluently or coherently as he does now. This just feels so out of place because Liam was never like this and they never even bothered on referring or showing that he was getting any treatments yet, out of the sudden he's as normal as the next kid.

He wasn't brain damaged, though. He was at risk because of the coke incident but as I recall he wound up being fine, at risk maybe as he gets older but not actually brain damaged. He was just a baby/toddler/little kid who didn't say or do much, and now they aged him up to elementary school age and gave him more to do. He had a few little scenes last season where he was functioning as a normal kid, he just wasn't often really given anything to do. It is jarring though because he's so different now, just one of those TV things I guess. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, whiporee said:

Well, she fucked/raped his dad. On video.  And Lip was there on the swings with her afterwards. 

She told him the baby was his and recruited him to try and sell it to the nice couple. And then harshly rejected him when the baby was Asian and had some birth defects.

When he and Mandy were together, she made a point to tell Mandy that she and Lip were going to get back together and it was inevitable. That's what led Mandy to running her over. I'm pretty sure she hooked up with him while she was married to Tony? or whatever his name was. 

I'd have to go back through seasons one and two for more examples, but I think those pretty much fit the bill. 

When Karen raped Frank, they were at HER house, where Frank was living. So, while it was still definitely several flavors of gross, it wasn't in the Gallagher house and it was never about Lip.

Karen never told Lip the baby was his. He convinced himself Hiram was his kid. Lip was well aware that he was NOT the only person Karen had been with sexually during the time of Hiram's potential conception. Karen never wanted him involved with her pregnancy (he tagged along because of his own issues) while she constantly pushed him away. And the single instance that Karen actually seemed to warm to Lip's romantic overtures, during her pregnancy, he royally screwed it up.

When Hiram was born Karen didn't reject Lip. Lip became disillusioned because it finally sunk in that Hiram wasn't his child. She was more concerned with Sheila and Jody's kidnapping antics. And Karen's leaving town later wasn't because of Lip, but because of Sheila's insistence that the Jacksons keep Hiram instead of giving him up for adoption.

When Karen returned, she spent the majority of her time re-establishing her own life (reconciling with Sheila & Jody, getting re-enrolled in school). It wasn't until Mandy began snarling at Karen that Karen began treating her as a rival. It was Lip who couldn't stay away from Karen while he was also dealing with Mandy. What led to Mandy running Karen over, was Mandy's insanity.

And Jody was far from a saint. He slept with Sheila, and highly questionable past of his own. He only looked like Prince Charming because he essentially had no life other than the Jacksons.

• Love 1

I think we have different definitions of things here. I don't think of Karen as someone who was good for Lip, but she's the one he's never gotten over. That was, in my opinion, Frank's issue with Monica -- she was the first and only girl who he couldn't get past. That, to me, is Karen when it comes to Lip. If you don't think she treated him badly isn't really the point -- it's that he would always take her back, regardless. I think he parallels between the bits we know about Monica and what we know about Karen are pretty striking, but I certainly understand people can disagree on things. 

• Love 4

See, I think Lip had gotten past Karen.

The reason Lip & Karen's bond remained so strong was because, unlike Frank & Monica, they were friends, before all the drama that ensued with Karen's pregnancy. The sex was just an added bonus. And Lip was not always willing to take Karen back. He actively chose Mandy over Karen (something Frank never did with Monica) during her return, which is what eventually leads to Mandy's attempted vehicular homicide.

Also, Lip's issues with Mandy had very little to do with Karen. They were experiencing problems long before Karen returned. Ian once accused Lip of mistreating Mandy because of Lip's supposed residual Karen baggage, but he, as Mandy's best friend, was extremely biased and Lip & Mandy's issues stemmed from who they were, fundamentally, as people.

And, many of those same issues also plagued Lip's relationship with Amanda. Which is further proof that Lip's issues had nothing to do with him not being over Karen imo.

@Tow Hm, can agree to that.

By the way, is Season 8 the final season or..? The season finale of Season 7 pretty much locked things up but then SHO decided to include that extra scene to confirm a new chapter was coming.

I do hope that Fiona has a lesbian fling.

I don't. It reinforces the idea that women turn into lesbians because they've had bad experiences with men. It's a horrible TV trope, and you never see a male character turn gay just because he's had a string of unsuccessful relationships with women. They do it all the time with women though.

• Love 19

She didn't do anything with Jasmine though did she? Jasmine tried to kiss her, and Fiona told her that wasn't her thing. But, I too would have turned Jasmine down, she was awful. As soon as the handylady walked on screen, I groaned. They're going to do a Bound (movie) type thing, I know it. Ugh. The Gallagher clan has golden genitalia though, so I'm sure they'll hook up. I am just hoping that the cute Eddie girl that works at the shop with Lip doesn't end up dropping her drawers for him. Please. No. Lip is not all that. 

• Love 2

Jasmine flirted, kissed and groped Fiona several times, which seemed to confuse, rather than disgust, Fiona.

However, when Jasmine finally admitted to harboring feelings for Fiona, Fiona was pretty aloof which, in part, led to the end of their 'friendship.'