Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: boXed in

Bort

Motivated by a tragic event from his past, Jace throws all the power of the Sentinel Services into finding the Mutant Underground Way Station. Meanwhile, Blink's vivid dreams lead her to confront Dreamer.

I missed the first 20 minutes, but really liked the part of the episode I DID catch. Maybe the best ep so far. Though I'm really over the Sentinel Services guy with the tired "my daughter died" backstory; I sympathize for the loss, but genocide isn't the answer.

Lorna is such a loose canon. That's gonna be a problem sooner rather than later. The stuff at the warehouse was super contrived though; not only should the mutants have tried to faux-negotiate to buy time, Lorna should've been able to toss the tear gas grenades aside like she was swatting flies.

I wonder if Marcos' friendship with Caitlin is going to be a problem with Lorna.

Liked the Blink/Dreamer confrontation at the end. I'm voting the show go the John/Sage route though; they have more chemistry just looking at each other than he he's talking with either Blink or Dreamer.

Caitlin and the kids continue to be the real strength of the show. The actress playing Lauren is VERY good and she and Amy Acker are really compelling together. That stuff was sooooooo disgusting though, omg.

tonight kind of felt like a soft reboot and it was effective at that.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 4

Another good episode. Lorna is my favorite mutant. I love her determination and anger. She is the boss in that relationship with Marco. I can't wait for her to start mentoring Andy.

Good for Blink figuring out what Dreamer had done. I noticed that she wouldn't agree to let Dreamer undo it to.

I get the disappearing guy's distrust of Reed, but it was ridiculous that he was going to leave him get caught when Reed knows where their hideout is located.

I wanted to feel for the Sentinel guy, but what he has done is so terrible that I feel like he deserves to suffer. 

It felt like they were just giving Caitlin and kids something to do so alright.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

It's understandable that Jace, the Sentinel Services guy, would be upset about his daughter's death, but I'm curious how other people who lost family on July 15th responded. Jace was already in law enforcement, which means that he is slightly more predisposed to authoritarian viewpoints. What does his wife feel about him joining Sentinel Services? She seems to view it fairly derisively. However, she doesn't seem to have a real viewpoint about whether she thinks he's taking it too far.

Jace also doesn't seem to understand that the rest of government has a completely different plan for mutants, which is control and weaponize them if possible. Elminate them if absolutely necessary.

Lorna is unstable and takes far too many risks. The only reason she was captured was because she was taking too many risks.

I'm glad Blink figured out what Dreamer did to her. I'm hoping this subverts the triangle.

• Love 1

"Tonight, on Dreamer Ruins Everything . . . "

The series keeps chugging along, and I think its existence is justified. There's angst, but it doesn't choke us to death. At not point are we wishing for a return of X-Men 3. While this show is set in a larger universe, we aren't wanting for the bigger guns. The 7/15 incident doesn't look to be from any mutant(s) in particular. And the use of abilities feels fresh . . . though that might have been reinforced tonight by nobody experiencing power falure and staring at their hands in total disbelief.

Poor, stupid Jace. Man, Dreamer suuuuuuuuuuucks. I mean, she probably didn't intentionally take the memory of Jace's daughter dying, but it was still overkill.

• Love 1

I liked this episode a lot, it seemed like they were setting up the new status quo, and it worked quite well. Lorna and Marcos seem like an interesting mix seeing them in action. Marcos is more calm, while Lorna is all fiery and vengeance filled, but hasn't gone so far over the line that she isn't still a good guy. Of course, Lorna in most continuities is one of Magnetos kids, and that whole family tends to be a little...off, so it certainly makes sense. 

I can sympathize with Jace losing his daughter, and think he might even have at least somewhat good intentions, but it hardly justifies everything he`s done, and will certainly continue to do. We dont know much about the laws in this world, but from what we`ve heard, it seems to be "any mutant using their powers in a way that people notice are instantly criminals" and that isn't exactly getting justice for his daughter. Everything we have seen says that Sentinel Services are terrifying and hurting innocents, and losing his daughter doesn't justify any of that. I do wonder what the wife thinks about his work. She doesn't seem thrilled, but it more seems to be because she worries about her husband than for any moral reasons. Really, they should have just picked up their daughter and ran. Come on guys. 

I do feel for him considering Dreamer messed with his brain so nastily. I dont think she meant to delete the memory of his daughter dying, but that was still brutal. 

I continue to love the story of the Strucker family and how they're dealing with the new circumstances. Caitlin as one of their medics gives her some solid development, and I also like that they have Reed using his insider info to help out the underground. I was sure the beef with him and the invisible man would be more dramatic, but I liked how it worked out. Even if Invisible Man was stupid for almost dumping Reed. 

• Love 3

Another episode that I really enjoyed. Like that the mutant escaped continued to work out okay and the crazy manhunt is off for at least a night. 

The only bad bad thing this episode was the medical stuff... I know it was an emergency and all, but she totally killed that guy... that's not how surgery works. But it's never right on tv... so I guess I can let it go. The stuff with blink a few episodes ago somehow made more medical sense.

• Love 5

I feel bad for Jace that his daughter was killed, but that doesn't justify his hardline crusade.  It doesn't help that I still think Coby Bell is a terrible actor.  All he does is shouty mcshout, and it's not just a byproduct of the writing.  

I also dislike Jamie Chung so I find it hard to sympathize with Blink.  I think the ethical quandary of Dreamer's power is interesting, and I find myself agreeing with her that she did what she had to do.  If Blink hadn't been all whiny "I can't, I can't" then Dreamer wouldn't have had to push her.  Jamie is especially bad at acting angry, she came across as whiny.  If she's so upset with the memory, why not just let Dreamer remove it?

For once I was glad that a show cheaped out on powers and had Blink's portals opening off screen.  Because the face Jamie makes when she opens a portal is just awful.  I know I am ragging on Jamie a lot but I thought she was particularly awful as Valerie Vale on Gotham and she is not much better here.  I loved the portrayal of Blink in the movies by the amazing Fan Bingbing so Jamie is such a poor replacement.  

Also glad we didn't have to see Andy's constipated face this time.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

I feel bad for Jace that his daughter was killed, but that doesn't justify his hardline crusade.  It doesn't help that I still think Coby Bell is a terrible actor.  All he does is shouty mcshout, and it's not just a byproduct of the writing.  

I also dislike Jamie Chung so I find it hard to sympathize with Blink.  I think the ethical quandary of Dreamer's power is interesting, and I find myself agreeing with her that she did what she had to do.  If Blink hadn't been all whiny "I can't, I can't" then Dreamer wouldn't have had to push her.  Jamie is especially bad at acting angry, she came across as whiny.  If she's so upset with the memory, why not just let Dreamer remove it?

For once I was glad that a show cheaped out on powers and had Blink's portals opening off screen.  Because the face Jamie makes when she opens a portal is just awful.  I know I am ragging on Jamie a lot but I thought she was particularly awful as Valerie Vale on Gotham and she is not much better here.  I loved the portrayal of Blink in the movies by the amazing Fan Bingbing so Jamie is such a poor replacement.  

Also glad we didn't have to see Andy's constipated face this time.  

I acknowledge your feelings and sentiments about Jamie Chung, but I am at crossroads since Blink in X-men Days of Future Past didn't really have much dialogue or speaking parts. The movie version, played by Fan Bingbing, had the wonderful Hollywood CGI budget to back up her awesome power of portal-creation. I think what I like about shows, especially this one, is the process of showing the audience of honing and learning their powers and abilities. I like to see the struggle for perfection rather than instant-perfection. Of course, that is why I don't cringe when the actors and actresses make some type of physical exertion, especially the wonderful facial expressions, to emote parallel with the visual effects is quite amazing.

I really enjoyed the family coming together. I especially liked the teamwork scene getting the bullet out with their collective use of powers and suturing.  Teamwork is something that is taken for granted and I think this was a powerful scene to watch.

• Love 2

What's been bothering me about Jace joining the Sentinels is the whole mutants killed my kid so now I must do something. I was trying to remember where I had seen something similar and while I'm sure there are plenty of other incidents of this plot, Heroes Reborn used it.  A husband and wife were going around killing the Heroes because their kid was killed at an event with the "evoos."  Now that I remembered that, I'm kind of irritated with this whole plot point. Find some other reason he joined Sentinels. Are dead kids the only reason to become "bad" guys? 

So far, The Gifted has kept its foot on the gas pedal and has not slowed down. That can get exhausting. It would be nice to take some time to explore something other than desperately running and fighting.
The formula appears to be dividing the characters  into two or three crisis situations in each episode.  The emergency surgery plot felt like an excuse to give Caitlin and the kids something to do. 
And *why* are all those other mutants just 'hanging out' and giving side-eye during all these dire situations? 

I don't have a problem with Dreamer's explanation that desperate times call for desperate measures. Why should it make a difference if the people affected by bad behavior or crimes are mutants or not ? (otherwise, it's sort of racist.) 

Overall, I am starting to become uncomfortable with the messages the show is putting out. To me, with things as they are in the real world, it doesn't seem like a good idea to preach ideas such as "don't trust the police " or "government agencies are evil".  Sure, it would be fine if this were a show created to examine problems in our current society - - but not a comic-book based show about people with super powers.  Consider the young minds you are influencing, showrunners. 

In the comics, the X-men did not spend all their time running from the authorities. They had adventures and fought bad guys. They were heroes who helped people .. all types of people.  And if the authorities were the bad guys, it was because some individual leader was corrupt and out of control -- clearly evil. 

Trying to create sympathy for the Sentinel Security officer (Jace ?)  because of his daughter makes for messy, no-wins situations with no real heroes. ...And I think I would prefer a show with a bit more optimism, hope and heroism.  And some fun occasionally.   I think the Marvel movies manage to do that pretty well.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

Aw, I like Jamie. She was on two reality series, and she wasn't heinous in either of them. Still, I think the pointed ears and weird eyes are overkill. I'd trade those in for canon Blink's* spears, as opposed to tearing space with her hands.

*canon = "Age of Apocalypse"/Exiles Blink.

• Love 3

I liked that episode. It found something for everyone to do but I didn’t feel like the episode was overcrowded.

I thought Reed was being a bit of an ass, expecting his “my bad” to earn him immediate acceptance. I did appreciate that he listened to the guy arguing against him and then offered his help in decoding the scanner codes. Bill Moyer did a good job of showcasing Reed’s injury from last week, and the driver made his point even though he might have been in trouble if Reed had bolted in a different direction.

Caitlyn and the kids made adequate medics though a few things in that storyline stood out for me. Caitlyn would surely know Andy was O- because his pediatrician  would have noted it. Was she actually monitoring how much blood he was giving? Given that Caitlyn and her kids have proven themselves on actual life-threatening missions, I was surprised that not a single onlooker stepped forward to offer assistance. No one else was a universal donor or had useful skills?

Lorna is still my favourite. She’s impulsive but good at making it work. I don’t have any issues with Dreamer either. She stepped in to boost Blink when she was dithering and, while Dreamer should have spoken up afterward, Blink would have been useless without the added push. The interrogation was a lot less intrusive than anything Jace caused to happen to the mutants he captured. It was unfortunate Dreamer ran out of time as she clearly wanted to repair the memories before going. 

I have no idea why Jace and his wife stood by calling their child instead of swooping in and grabbing her. Less calling and more running, and the kid and her stuffie might have made it. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Overall, I am starting to become uncomfortable with the messages the show is putting out. To me, with things as they are in the real world, it doesn't seem like a good idea to preach ideas such as "don't trust the police " or "government agencies are evil".  Sure, it would be fine if this were a show created to examine problems in our current society - - but not a comic-book based show about people with super powers.  Consider the young minds you are influencing, showrunners. 

That is my favorite part. <g> Well, I guess I don't like the cartoon way it is playing out. On every side there are people that are shades of grey and so far when have been introduced to, shall I say it, cartoon ish characters with regard to sentinel services and even the good guys. Even Jace doesn't seem to have a lot of real motivation.  It is just hard to believe that Reed wouldn't be more torn or more respected. After all as an AUSA he probably worked with many of those people. They wouldn't just drop him because his kids were mutants. Over all I find it boring. If there was more shades of gray less *run* chase *run* chase... etc. I would be more interested. Everyone needs a break for a second. Agents need to go home and sleep. Singer isn't good at characterization. So I guess it will be mostly action. 

• Love 2

What is Dreamer's ability really? I thought to implant memory, when Eclipse and Polaris asked her for help, didn't they intend for her to look into Jace's memory on what they did to Pulse to turn against mutants, but the process was incomplete and the consequence of that was that his memory of his kid dying was erased.

19 hours ago, roctavia said:

The only bad bad thing this episode was the medical stuff... I know it was an emergency and all, but she totally killed that guy... that's not how surgery works. But it's never right on tv... so I guess I can let it go. The stuff with blink a few episodes ago somehow made more medical sense.

I usually let the bad medical stuff, but damn, she cut through that man's abdomen and just stitched out his outer wound and voila, he was healed? It was ridiculous. 

20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I continue to love the story of the Strucker family and how they're dealing with the new circumstances. Caitlin as one of their medics gives her some solid development, and I also like that they have Reed using his insider info to help out the underground.

This and Reed's decision to stay and help the mutant underground were the first time that I felt that Reed was doing something tangible to make up for what he did in the past beyond saving himself and his kids.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

What is Dreamer's ability really? I thought to implant memory, when Eclipse and Polaris asked her for help, didn't they intend for her to look into Jace's memory on what they did to Pulse to turn against mutants, but the process was incomplete and the consequence of that was that his memory of his kid dying was erased.

Well, Dreamer apparently has the ability to take away or give memories whether false or true, and naturally she'd need the ability to read another person's memories to be able to do that.

10 hours ago, Irishmaple said:

I thought Reed was being a bit of an ass, expecting his “my bad” to earn him immediate acceptance. I did appreciate that he listened to the guy arguing against him and then offered his help in decoding the scanner codes.

As long as Reed continues to be useful I'll tolerate his presence, but it's pretty clear that it's not going to be long before he shifts from "just get my family out" to "fight for the mutants" and there's only so long his knowledge will be useful in that event.

I was surprised that not a single onlooker stepped forward to offer assistance. No one else was a universal donor or had useful skills?

It's so that Caitlin has a reason to actually exist instead of getting killed off. It's hard to believe that there's this supposedly continent wide Mutant Underground and this chapter just happens to not have anyone with any medical training whatsoever, or at least a mutant sympathizer or two who do.

I have no idea why Jace and his wife stood by calling their child instead of swooping in and grabbing her. Less calling and more running, and the kid and her stuffie might have made it. 

I have no idea either, yeah, the kid had to die for the sake of backstory but they could have easily had her die in a way that wasn't completely idiotic. A lot of deaths in fiction are the result of real stupidity on the part of those involved but it seems like writers have a real problem with predetermined deaths in particular making any sense whatsoever. The worst is when they do this when it's completely and obviously unnecessary too, they could just as well have had the kid blasted in the first opening salvo, or had Jace or his wife grab her and run only to be blasted but survive while the kid didn't.

Considering that Jace seems to honestly think that Sentinel Services is anything other than "control or exterminate mutants because we can" genocide unit it fits though, anyone who would be stupid enough to just stand there shouting their kids name while a disaster is going on instead of grabbing her and GTFO would be stupid enough to believe that.

I hope the preview is being honest and next episode is about them building up to the Mutant Underground kicking ass and taking names because I'm really getting tired of all these people with superhuman abilities just letting people with guns walk all over them. Especially Lorna, her ability alone should allow her to defeat any opposition short of another power nullifying mutant with a wave of her hand, and Andy's power as well once he gets a decent grasp on it.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, piequinn35 said:

I think her ability is manipulating memory. Whether that's adding or taking away, I'd imagine that it also allows her to look into memories somewhat. I doubt it's very clear for her and it's probably more snippets. I actually really like Dreamer. I think she's the perfect morally grey character that this show has. She uses her power for what she perceives is the right reasons, but she's not there to hurt or harm people. Her remorse at not being able to fix Jace was really telling that she's not an evil character just to get in the way of Blink or John, as would happen on most shows like this. 

I agree that the other mutants aren't being used at all, except to gape and pout in the background. At least give a reason as to why Caitlin couldn't have asked them to help save Harry. Also, yeah I noticed that Caitlin's surgery was horribly botched and he would have absolutely died if it was real life. I've watched enough medical TV shows to know that that would have killed him. 

That being said, Lauren is still a really great character. I'm not as fond of Andy, but I understand what they're doing with him. Also, another thing, why was Caitlin asking Andy to keep standing to give blood? I was totally expecting him to pass out at some point, especially since Caitlin was not paying attention to how much blood he was giving. 

I think my three favourite characters are Dreamer, Lauren, and Lorna/Polaris. I am very into Lorna and she has made Marcos pretty fun to watch.

I also rolled my eyes at Jace not grabbing his daughter in the flashback. Like...you see something's wrong. Maybe don't just stand there if you're worried. 

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, Lantern7 said:

Aw, I like Jamie. She was on two reality series, and she wasn't heinous in either of them.

Haha, not exactly a glowing endorsement.  I've not been overly impressed by her in either OUAT, Gotham or now here.  And I see zippo chemistry between Blink and Johnny so the future of that whole plotline is not something I'm looking forward to.

That whole surgery scene in the MU base was totally unbelievable but, whatever, I'll roll with it.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I actually really like Dreamer. I think she's the perfect morally grey character that this show has. She uses her power for what she perceives is the right reasons, but she's not there to hurt or harm people. Her remorse at not being able to fix Jace was really telling that she's not an evil character just to get in the way of Blink or John, as would happen on most shows like this. 

I really like her too.   She didn't get to finish whatever her process is with Jace.  She told Marcos as he was rushing her to escape that she couldn't leave him "like that".  But their situation just didn't allow for the luxury of time.  I can see why she and Polaris would be BFFs since they're both more willing to cross some lines that might make others uncomfortable.

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

He just doesn't come off as emotionally angry enough given that his daughter was killed.

It's been four years.  No one would be able to keep that raw anger going for that long so his more controlled, banked anger makes sense to me.  Of course, now he will be experiencing the loss of his daughter as if it just happened so we'll see how the actor portrays that.

• Love 1

Hmmm if they are going to make Caitlyn their resident medic, she really needs a upgrade in knowledge. As a nurse she has only basic medical  know how and getting her to perform surgery like that and saying the guy would be fine? Come on, don’t treat your Audience as stupid and brainless. Reeds knowledge can only go so far and now his face is know so they can’t use him even for public use. The parents are both a liability at this point and I can’t see how they are going to stretch out their usefulness for a full season.

Blink needs to calm down and think better. I get that Dreamer didn’t ask and should have but they were desperate. She should have confessed earlier and avoided this mess. Still she is not a bad person as we saw. She seems reluctant to use her powers. 

So who was the girl they kept focusing on almost every time Caitlin was helping the wounded. I kept waiting for her to say something or do something to help etc but they seem to have just forgotten what that was about.

I found the solution to the bleeding artery kind of half baked. Wouldn't a bleeding artery be a problem even after you stitched up the incision? 

The Mutant Underground seem to have very few active members, they have a metal bender, a fire bender, a purple smoke psychic and a super tracker and a couple of invisible guys. Seems kind of bare bones for a underground network even with the addition of a telekinetic, a shielder and a teleporter. 

I wish they took fear guy along for the decoy mission, would have made more sense. They could have had him make a scene then have the invisible guy disappear him. 

Reed walking around with a guy who was denouncing him five minutes seemed like a really weird choice by management and Reed. 

So, Jace is basically like Zachary Levi's character from the Heroes reboot, whose anti-mutant stance comes from his daughter dying during a big mutant protest four years ago.  I definitely feel bad for him (and now having to relive it all over again), but he's clearly let his grief lead him to basically taking out his anger on an entire group, so he's still not a good guy.

Glad Reed did get some push back and was welcomed with open arms.  At least he made some headway by putting himself at risk to protect the headquarters, but hopefully there will still be some tension, because it would be more realistic if the mutants still gave him the side-eye due to his history over prosecuting mutants and at the very least having an idea about some of the shadiness that was going down.

Aww, the Strucker family gets some nice bonding time by performing surgery together!  Still love how even then they found ways to have Lauren and Andy banter with each other.  Still loving their realistic sibling relationship.

Clarissa/Blink finally puts two and two together and knows that Dreamer manipulated her.  This is clearly not going to be easy to get over.  I'm still on Clarissa's side, but Elena Satine is doing a good job at making me think Dreamer really does feel like shit for what she did and truly thought that was her only option at the time.  Really though, this is probably another case of had Dreamer just told her right after it happened, it might have gone smoother.

Lorna clearly has got some anger that could be dangerous, but she's still my favorite.  Hopefully she and Marcus can meet in the middle, because I do think he can be a bit too lenient and unaware of the dangers at times.

Another good episode.  Really enjoying the series.

Here's what I don't get: why didn't Dreamer broach the subject with Blink beforehand? Why not bring up her ability, explain that she thought she might be able to help Blink or at least put the info out there that way in an emergency Blink knows her options, explain that she can remove the false memory after the fact?

Part of why I don't like Dreamer is because she has the exact sort of mentality I can't stand: I'm going to do something awful to other people and file that away under "necessary because of war" but try to dodge any kind of responsibility myself. Like, that's some cowardly shit Dreamer's been pulling with Blink. If she wants to swim in the morally grey pool, fine by me, but nut the fuck up. Own your actions. You don't get to brainwash people, not tell them you did it, and then get upset when people are mad at you. 

Another reason I don't like Dreamer is because there seems to be a million ways her ability can screw up and she doesn't seem especially reluctant about using it. I mean, Blink rips open space. There are a million ways her ability can screw up too and it had done so recently. I don't read Blink as whiny so much as extremely aware of how dangerous she can be considering she has so little control over her power. I like that. She's not self-hating but she's cautious.

I don't agree that what Dreamer did was the right thing. The MU has to have lines it doesn't cross w/r/t their own people otherwise what's the point? I mean, are they actually gonna get mad about Pulse being brainwashed when they've got Blink right there? It's different, sure, but not as different as it needs to be. I'm a mutant and I hear about what happened with Blink? I'm gonna seek help elsewhere; I would not fuck with these people. I could get brainwashed by SS I don't need fellow mutants to do that to me.

The thing about Dreamer making that call is that she could do it again, anytime, and Blink knows it. If I'm Blink I'm wondering if sticking with this group is worth the risk.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, slf said:

Here's what I don't get: why didn't Dreamer broach the subject with Blink beforehand? Why not bring up her ability, explain that she thought she might be able to help Blink or at least put the info out there that way in an emergency Blink knows her options, explain that she can remove the false memory after the fact?

Part of why I don't like Dreamer is because she has the exact sort of mentality I can't stand: I'm going to do something awful to other people and file that away under "necessary because of war" but try to dodge any kind of responsibility myself. Like, that's some cowardly shit Dreamer's been pulling with Blink. If she wants to swim in the morally grey pool, fine by me, but nut the fuck up. Own your actions. You don't get to brainwash people, not tell them you did it, and then get upset when people are mad at you. 

Another reason I don't like Dreamer is because there seems to be a million ways her ability can screw up and she doesn't seem especially reluctant about using it. I mean, Blink rips open space. There are a million ways her ability can screw up too and it had done so recently. I don't read Blink as whiny so much as extremely aware of how dangerous she can be considering she has so little control over her power. I like that. She's not self-hating but she's cautious.

I don't agree that what Dreamer did was the right thing. The MU has to have lines it doesn't cross w/r/t their own people otherwise what's the point? I mean, are they actually gonna get mad about Pulse being brainwashed when they've got Blink right there? It's different, sure, but not as different as it needs to be. I'm a mutant and I hear about what happened with Blink? I'm gonna seek help elsewhere; I would not fuck with these people. I could get brainwashed by SS I don't need fellow mutants to do that to me.

The thing about Dreamer making that call is that she could do it again, anytime, and Blink knows it. If I'm Blink I'm wondering if sticking with this group is worth the risk.

Dreamer should have absolutely told Blink about using her power on her, for sure. I definitely agree with that. But there's also the other equation in the picture: John never told her either. Even with them forming a bond, he never bothered to inform Blink either. Both of them are equally at fault for what happened after Blink's memories got warped. Dreamer may be at fault for performing the action, but both never bothered to inform Blink, which they should have. 

I think Dreamer represents the side of doing things for the greater good, no matter the consequences. Sure, it may not be morally right half the time and she's shown to be using her powers to survive without considering others that aren't mutants, but I like that they're showing that side. She means well; her ultimate goal is to save her people. Much like Lorna, who seems to be fine with also doing the same things, just like Andy's also displaying signs of that. In reality, she's not the only character on this show who has these traits, the ones who use their powers to survive, make wrong choices and use the guise that it's for protection. Andy was willing to hurt people to keep his family safe several times now, which is fair since he's a scared kid, but he also has dangerous powers that allow him the opportunity to hurt people, and he could easily use and abuse his powers under the wrong mentorship. 

Dreamer has been shown to truly have a good heart. Even though she should have absolutely told Blink about what she had done, she offered to take that false memory away from her. It doesn't excuse what she did, but that small action shows her remorse. She still feels bad for what she does, but she feels like she has to do it. A very fight or flight response, and it adds depth to her character. 

Also, because Dreamer's power is offensive, while Blink's is more defensive, it adds to the reasons for her using her power against others. Dreamer can go through her portals and flee. She doesn't have to use it on any other person; rather, she uses her power, at the moment, against others, to help other mutants get away, so it allows her to stay on the morally good side, to not have to make the hard choices. I know there was the second episode where her powers went wonky, but that wasn't her fault; she didn't make the choice to spawn random portals everywhere that could have killed people. While for Dreamer, her power is completely about using it on another person. It directly involves another person, maybe to get away, but her power has more consequences that will fall back on her. So her choices affect others but also herself. 

Also, stupid TV trope of secret keeping seems to happen on every single TV show, no matter how much the audience is screaming stupidity at the characters keeping the secrets. I'm just surprised the secret was revealed barely two episodes later, instead of a full season later. 

Dreamer is certainly controversial, but she does the terrible things because she is told to do them by the mutant team, so I find it a tad unfair that she's the only  one people blame.

By the way, I predict Blink will decide to leave the compound. 

Edited by Finis Terre
2 hours ago, Finis Terre said:

Dreamer is certainly controversial, but she does the terrible things because she is told to do them by the mutant team, so I find it a tad unfair that she's the only  one people blame.

By the way, I predict Blink will decide to leave the compound. 

Well, Thunderbird told her not to do that to Blink. So she decided on her own to do it. W/r/t her being asked by the others to use her power on Jace, or other people, I don't think it's appropriate then, either. Throw the SS guys into walls, incase them in ice, whatever, but entering someone's mind to manipulate/erase their memories without their permission is a violation that isn't justifiable. And while the others shouldn't be asking her to do it, shouldn't be okay with it and are responsible for that, the choice seems to be hers so the responsibility is hers first and foremost.

• Love 1

The sentinel guy blames the mutants for his daughter's death, but what he's not realizing is that it takes two to tango.  The mutants were merely protesting, it's the government that brought the battle.  The government is just as much to blame (or more) for starting the violence.

I've been watching, but I'm not really fond of this show.  It just seems kind of stale to me, and kind of depressing.  Not to mention all the C list mutants, and even worse the story revolving around the family vaguely reminds me of Fear the Walking Dead.  I was a big fan of the X-Men back in the day, but when it turned into a phenomenon and they started adding endless mutant comic books and stories, and spreading everything too thin, I had to check out.  It was just a bit too much.  I'll likely stick out the rest of the year but I'm not sure I'll be back next season.  I did like Legion just because it was so different.

Dreamer's power is really freaky. So she basically rearranges someone's memories while she's reading them and if she doesn't have time to put them back, you are messed up? Yikes.

Also I still don't feel like the show is using Amy Acker properly by which I mean the character needs more Root ;-) Also Stephen Moyer's character feels deeply unnecessary to me. I wish they'd killed him off.

It's not going to end well for Dreamer, whether by Clarice or Jace's hand.  I can see her becoming a hound...

I think my one thought still remains, which I don't recall if I posted it here, or on another forum I frequent.  I like the family on the run, and the mutant underground/resistance, but I don't feel the show blended them together well.

Caitlin and the kids continue being the shining light for me on this show.

Oh Sage, what a waste?  I hope there's bigger things for her.