Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Brazyn Life, Novel Effect, Drain Wig, Father Figure / S09.E07: Pearachute, Qeepsake, GeoOrbital, WaiveCar

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

It was a bit frustrating for me when the wife of the drain thing stated that they did all this work and haven't seen a dime due to the deal they signed.  My frustration?  The husband already said that they received $800,000 in royalties thus far.  An interesting world they live in when $800,000 is equivalent to nothing.  And then the tears... Kevin will get them out of their current deal-he was the best match for them.  Also nice to see Kevin move away from only offering royalty deals.

• Love 1

I think entrepreneurs are starting to figure out that Kevin is one of the best sharks to make a deal with. They avoided him like the plague in previous seasons but he already has made quite a few deals this year. Once you get past the Simon Cowell act you realize that a guy who puts utmost importance on making money is the kind of guy you want in your company. On the other hand, I like Daymond, but he just doesn't seem to get any deals anymore. Doesn't help when he's the fashion guy and hardly makes any offers to the clothing brands that come on.

That family that brushes and flosses in the shower, I'm sure they pee in there too. Probably do other stuff we don't need to mention. Their drain is probably 100x more disgusting than the average house's.

My pet peeve is people who say "is" twice unnecessarily. Lori did one better with a rare triple is: "The thing is is, is that this product..." 

With the Father Figures line, we again get an example of the sharks rejecting a business because it's too small, too early, not enough sales, etc. All this after an episode where they rail against a woman who has a product that's already very successful, and they say the show should be for the people who really need the investment and aren't just there for exposure. And when a young business like that comes on, they don't make an offer. Hypocrites.

"My wife's father-in-law" will go down as a classic line.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The husband already said that they received $800,000 in royalties thus far.  An interesting world they live in when $800,000 is equivalent to nothing. 

I can't remember if they said they did $14M in sales or $14M in profit, but either way, I think the point was them making $800k of off $14M hurt. We don't know how those numbers break down; certainly plenty of companies might only net $800k off those sales, but presumably some of that is due to reinvesting in the business, expansion costs, etc. These two framed it like clearly there were millions in profit, but the cut of the infomercial team was higher than theirs so they wanted their own back. So, sure, it's not nothing, but if you own the company and someone else makes multiple millions and you only get $800k, proportionately, that's not great. And the margins on this type of product should be awesome. So in context the comments made sense to me.

• Love 1

I was under the impression that the couple wasn't involved in the manufacturing, and that the $800,000 was their royalty.  And when they get out of that deal, they're going to have to take over all aspects instead of just collecting their cut.  If so, $800,000 didn't seem all that terrible, for coming up with the idea.

But is that not how it was?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was under the impression that the couple wasn't involved in the manufacturing, and that the $800,000 was their royalty.  And when they get out of that deal, they're going to have to take over all aspects instead of just collecting their cut.  If so, $800,000 didn't seem all that terrible, for coming up with the idea.

But is that not how it was?

I mean, that's a lot of money, but it's still only about a 5.8% cut.  I can understand wanting to take on more responsibility for a bigger piece.

• Love 2

The lady with the Pear-whatever apps for busy millennial brats -- her last name seems to be "Wrigley" which in Chicago means the chewing gun company (and namer of Wrigley Field).  Perhaps she married into that family and that's why she expects success in a hundred days!

I guess I was being kinda stupid with the hair lathering comments.  I'm a guy with short hair and I just couldn't conceive of it taking more than a minute at most.  I brought the issue up with a long haired female friend of mine.  The answer was more complex than I expected.  But the short answer is that it definitely seems.... involved.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I guess I was being kinda stupid with the hair lathering comments.  I'm a guy with short hair and I just couldn't conceive of it taking more than a minute at most.  I brought the issue up with a long haired female friend of mine.  The answer was more complex than I expected.  But the short answer is that it definitely seems.... involved.

I'm a female with long (a few inches past my shoulders) hair and it only takes me a minute to lather my hair. Maybe two.  I never realized that was considered fast. My hair's pretty thin though, so I guess I can understand it taking some people with thicker hair longer.

I could use one of those drain things though. Mine's always clogging.

I have thick hair that's still well past my shoulders after having 10 inches cut off a couple of weeks ago.. but it only takes me a few minutes to lather my hair, if that...  even when it was waist length.

But everyone is different, so it'd be unfair to say we are all doing it wrong by leaving the shower running while washing hair. At least that is a shower activity, flossing and brushing teeth etc can easily be done out of the shower. And why are they letting their floss go down the drain? Yuck! 

There are a lot of hair catching drain things out there, this one doesn't seem like it works any better... since they all work to different degrees.

Edited by roctavia

Clothes for new dads is a silly idea, IMO.  They don't make similar clothes for new moms for a reason - you don't need them.  

On 10/29/2017 at 7:57 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Good lord, Sara Blakely. That outfit makes me embarrassed to be a woman.

I missed the introductions, so I asked my husband why Alice in Wonderland was sitting with the sharks.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:26 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Father Figure hands sample to Daymond, "This is for you." Hands another sample to Daymond, "This is for Lori." Why didn't he just hand it to Lori directly? The Lori hand-off is becoming more interesting to me than the show. 

This is one of the great mysteries.  I just thought Robert was trying to be a gentleman, but, apparently, Lory needs someone to hand her things.  My best guess is that her clothes will move into an unflattering position if she leans forward.  

• Love 3
On 10/30/2017 at 7:57 PM, bilgistic said:

And, you know, he could wear soft t-shirts instead of denim shirts...? His stuff was the proverbial "solution in search of a problem".

A very expensive solution to no problem! What new parent in their right mind is going to spend $130 for a causal shirt that's going to get spit-up (and worse) all over it? To build a whole wardrobe for at least four days of 'paternity wear' would be over $500! That's the cost of a brand new crib AND a stroller, with diaper money to spare.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:32 PM, chocolatine said:

Agreed. My niece and nephew (six and five years old, respectively) already spend hours on their iPads, so when I'm reading to them, I want them to focus on the story and the pictures in the book without any distracting stimuli coming from electronic devices.

As Mark was saying, it might be a fun novelty to try once (like VR goggles), but a novelty that wears off quick, especially after hearing the same sound effect for the umpteenth time. Making the sound effects and doing funny voices is half of the fun and interaction in reading to kids. Asking them to provide the sound effects (or, if they're older, read some of the dialogue) is also a great way to make story time more engaging for them. It can also make the same old story a little different everytime, even after the twentieth time. And at the risk of sounding like a Luddite, children already consume manufactured media for entertainment much of the time, and we shouldn't forfeit our last tenuous strings of connection with them to yet another smartphone app.

• Love 4
On 10/30/2017 at 0:48 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I have to say that Kevin is growing on me, and I actually kind of like him now.  I'm surprised.

I've always liked Kevin. He is honest and doesn't coddle, and he is clear about his motives. I'd much prefer to deal with him than people who say meaningless nice things.

As a father, I was embarrassed for us all when I saw the male paternity clothes. Come on, dude. It isn't that hard.

• Love 4