Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E06: Brazyn Life, Novel Effect, Drain Wig, Father Figure / S09.E07: Pearachute, Qeepsake, GeoOrbital, WaiveCar

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Spanx founder Sara Blakely sits in with the Sharks. Products include functional paternity clothing; a hi-tech way to make kids' story time more magical; a solution for hairy drain problems; and a better version of a workout device.

Still no description for E07 because none of my TV listing sources has yet updated to reflect the fact that it's airing Sunday night, as we learned yesterday it is.

Paternity clothing?  I know that fathers go through significant changes when a pregnancy and baby comes along, but none of them are physical.  What could that mean?  Best I can guess is that it would be easier to clean out stains caused by baby secretions.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Good lord, Sara Blakely. That outfit makes me embarrassed to be a woman.

But, but ... no bulges or bra lines. The Spanx is working.

8 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Saca???? WTF?  We had a deal Shark Tank!  We had a deal!!!

He's a POS, but Mark's reaction to him is always amusing to watch.

• Love 4

Father Figure hands sample to Daymond, "This is for you." Hands another sample to Daymond, "This is for Lori." Why didn't he just hand it to Lori directly? The Lori hand-off is becoming more interesting to me than the show. 

A loop on the hip. Most guys already have one, if they're wearing jeans. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 10

I like Sacca as a foil to Mark. I was interested in Barbara jumping into the fray on Mark's side. She was also very rude to the woman with the kids scheduling app.

The FatherFigure guy needs to partner with a designer. I could see a brand appealing to young fathers and including functional elements, but when the pieces cost that kind of money the designs need to be more appealing. I felt like he was sent there as bait for Sarah. I'm a little surprised she didn't bite, even if she did offer encouragement.

The two bald sharks were fighting over the drain hair product. Kevin usually loves royalty deals so it's interesting he's the choice for them to undo the deal. I liked that family though.

I felt a little bad for the NFL foam roller guy. He messed up a few phrases and the sharks called it out. I wonder if that had anything to do with Mark's mysterious exit on that one. I was happy the Sharkettes got the deal.

• Love 1

My sons and all the parents with young children that I know, read books to their kids as a break from technology.  A book at bedtime with a cuddle to send them off to sleep is routine for most parents. The interactive books don't strike me as a product that will take off in a huge way.  I will go so far as to day it is a bad investment!

Edited by wings707
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Father Figure hands sample to Daymond, "This is for you." Hands another sample to Daymond, "This is for Lori." Why didn't he just hand it Lori directly. The Lori hand-off is becoming more interesting to me than the show. 

I've become strangely fascinated by the hand-offs, too. 

Hearing her coo, "Thank you, Daymond," was odd since it sounded like she'd suddenly been afflicted with baby voice. It definitely wasn't her normal speaking voice at a lower volume. Strange. 

It baffles why she only receives samples from the person to her left. I don't think she's afflicted with tiny Tyrannosaurus Rex arms. She has no problem extending them to hug someone, so what gives? Is it some type of bizarro power move? I've a feeling we'll never know for sure. 

I did crack up each time she was interrupted while trying to summarize the offers and again when Barbara smacked her down for trying to broker her deal. Is she gunning for a turn in the middle chair? It was unusual behaviour, even for Lori. 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, wings707 said:

All the parents with young kids that I know, my sons included,  read books to their kids as a break from technology. The Interactive books don't strike me as a product that wI'll take off in a huge way. 

Agreed. My niece and nephew (six and five years old, respectively) already spend hours on their iPads, so when I'm reading to them, I want them to focus on the story and the pictures in the book without any distracting stimuli coming from electronic devices.

• Love 9

I hate two shows back to back - too many deals (or not) to remember. 

I had no idea who Sara was. When my hubby asked me I said "I don't know who she is, but she is a really bad dresser". I was shocked that she was the inventor of spanx because I thought that not only was her blouse butt ugly, but she looked lumpy and dumpy in it. 

I was amused at Lori's baby voice as well when she thanked Daymond for handing her a sample. The only thing I have liked about Sacca ever was in the second epi when he did not hand her a sample. Lori seemed to be expecting him to which made it even funnier. Other than that, Sacca was as obnoxious as ever. And of course he had to insult the picture of Mark as a kid which was pretty rich considering Sacca was one of the ugliest children I have ever seen. 

I hated the book app. Kids should not expect to be entertained by noises/sounds every friggin' waking minute of the day. Not to mention when a parent is reading a kid a book before bed, why would you want to add in a bunch of external sounds when you are trying to quiet them down to go to sleep? Ugh.

The lady with the kid activity organizer? I kept waiting for someone to ask her how she got to a 8.3 million dollar valuation with 139 days of sales in one city. No one did. The valuations of many of these products have become so ridiculous that often I find the sharks don't even ask the question. But as a viewer it drives me nuts. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 10

Well, seeing the pitch for the paternity clothes answered my questions.  It still seemed pretty stupid.  Regular clothes with some kind of loop on them?  I mean, my pants have a belt loop on them.  And what was the point of the pad on the shirt's shoulder?  So that it is a mildly softer surface for the baby to rest its head on?  Sara said what I was thinking when she pointed out that maternity clothes make sense because women go through physical changes during pregnancy.

I usually don't like Kevin's bluntness but it was welcome balm in the face of this turkey of an idea.

Also I am so sick of people going on about how amazing and life changing their kids are and such.  I mean it's nice for them, but it's such a cliche.

• Love 10

Don't most shower drain covers work effectively? And I would rather use a tissue to remove the matted hair that collects on a drain cover than pull up that chain and see what disgusting substances get caught on the hair. 

They floss while they shower? Do they wash their dishes and prepare radish roses in there, too?

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Don't most shower drain covers work effectively? And I would rather use a tissue to remove the matted hair that collects on a drain cover than pull up that chain and see what disgusting substances get caught on the hair. 

They floss while they shower? Do they wash their dishes and prepare radish roses in there, too?

They are taking the Cosmo Kramer approach to showering.

I don't think drain covers really do keep the hair out that well.  It's a fairly fluid gob of material that can slip between some small cracks.

• Love 4

Mark made a curious deal with the scheduling app woman.  I am not sure what he has in mind but it is something different than what she presented.  She would have to move to Dallas so he/his people can work closely with her.  If I understood correctly she wants to list children's activities and events in each city on this app.  ???  Yeah, we all need another app.  

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

No - even those hair trapper drain covers don't keep my long fine hair from going down my desperately old drains, and I am constantly using a curved hemostat to clean the drain.  I will be on the lookout for this product in the hopes that it fits my plumbing situation.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Father Figure hands sample to Daymond, "This is for you." Hands another sample to Daymond, "This is for Lori." Why didn't he just hand it to Lori directly? The Lori hand-off is becoming more interesting to me than the show. 

I am fascinated, too.  Sacca was to her left, at one point and didn't carry on Robert's tradition and I am sure he is aware.  They all are.  I would love to hear what Barbara thinks of the ritual!  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

They are taking the Cosmo Kramer approach to showering.

I don't think drain covers really do keep the hair out that well.  It's a fairly fluid gob of material that can slip between some small cracks.

1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

No - even those hair trapper drain covers don't keep my long fine hair from going down my desperately old drains, and I am constantly using a curved hemostat to clean the drain.  I will be on the lookout for this product in the hopes that it fits my plumbing situation.

I am Chinese, so my hair is pretty coarse. I wonder if that is why I don't have a problem with the traditional shower drain cover. But before I got one, I had to use tweezers to yank the hair up and, boy, was that nasty. The drain cover I use now is  flexible, kind of cone-shaped, with very small holes, and cost about $4 at Ace Hardware.

10 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I'm starting a line of grandmother clothes. Who wants in? 

Me! But only if they come with "pockets"--you know, to put your grandchildren's stuff in. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The drain cover I use now is  flexible, kind of cone-shaped, with very small holes, and cost about $4 at Ace Hardware.

That's what I have, too.  Doesn't work.  My hair is baby fine (& silky!) and I shed - a lot.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The drain cover I use now is  flexible, kind of cone-shaped, with very small holes, and cost about $4 at Ace Hardware.

I'm pretty sure those came from an episode of Shark Tank in a previous season. I kept waiting for someone to mention that. I doubt there is any way they could have a patent, which is also something that was never mentioned.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Well, seeing the pitch for the paternity clothes answered my questions.  It still seemed pretty stupid.  Regular clothes with some kind of loop on them?  I mean, my pants have a belt loop on them.  And what was the point of the pad on the shirt's shoulder?  So that it is a mildly softer surface for the baby to rest its head on?  

Yeah, because apparently no dad can figure out how to put a cloth diaper over his shoulder. That also explains the need for the handkerchief for spit ups. Maybe we should just be giving new dads a tutorial on all the uses for a cloth diaper instead of buying him new clothes.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, cork dork said:

It baffles why she only receives samples from the person to her left. I don't think she's afflicted with tiny Tyrannosaurus Rex arms. She has no problem extending them to hug someone, so what gives? Is it some type of bizarro power move? I've a feeling we'll never know for sure. 

The inventors always seem to hand out samples from right to left when they are facing the sharks. This meant Robert was always first. He was too much of a gentleman to take his sample before a lady got her's, so he always handed off what was given to him to Lori, then waited to get a second one for himself. Now it is just something Lori expects. Given her sense of self-worth and entitlement, it isn't hard to see why she just expects it.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

The FatherFigure guy needs to partner with a designer. I could see a brand appealing to young fathers and including functional elements, but when the pieces cost that kind of money the designs need to be more appealing. I felt like he was sent there as bait for Sarah. I'm a little surprised she didn't bite, even if she did offer encouragement.

She refused to say anything until she heard the other shark's opinions. It really looked to me as if she was afraid she'd make a fool of herself if she liked something and the others didn't. She just sat back and waited to jump on the bandwagon after it had already started rolling.

I have to say that Kevin is growing on me, and I actually kind of like him now.  I'm surprised.  And Barbara just seems more sour every day.  I get pissed off just looking at Chris Sacca, and it doesn't get any better when he opens his mouth.  His sparring with Mark Cuban reminds me of the episode of the Gilmore Girls when Luke and Chris were one-upping each other about a tool box Luke left at Lorelai's house, and Lorelai referred to it as "swinging those things around." 

The Spanx lady's dress was heinous, and her smile was crazy.  It went from nothing to Joker-like grin instantly.  Even when I went frame-by-frame, there was no transition--it was closed lips in one frame, and then full teeth in the next.  Creepy.

7 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Also I am so sick of people going on about how amazing and life changing their kids are and such.  I mean it's nice for them, but it's such a cliche.

I was thinking that if I ever went on the show, I'd bring the cutest baby in the world as a prop, and after seeing their eyes light up, admit that it's just a prop and has nothing to do with the deal.

I also imagine that if one of the sharks tried an "accept my deal this instant or I'm out," I'd say, "I don't want to partner with someone who is okay with people making huge decisions without knowing all the possibilities" AND that it wouldn't get left on the cutting room floor. 

6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

It just made me think of the millions of people who have to walk miles to get water and then carry it back to their homes, at eight pounds to the gallon, as these doofuses have their shower flowing while they floss their teeth.  Jesus.  Teenage girls take long enough showers as it is, and you give them more activities to do in there?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I don’t know which is worse...that monstrosity or Lori’s Michael Jackson themed jacket. ?

The Royal Imperial Collection by Lori Greiner

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4

I have seen those drainwig flower things advertised. It's interesting that the inventers lost their stake in it, or whatever happened. Wouldn't a lawyer be the better route to regaining the control over their product rather than a Shark? The inventors' appearance on the show is just going to drive demand for what is already in the marketplace. Or did I misunderstand the situation?

4 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Aw, honey, don't you know THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT?  Let the damn app change the baby's diaper.  Or Alexa.  

I'm going to dare anyone who has "alexa" to ask her, "what do I do with a cloth diaper?" and post the results here.

My mother used cloth diapers on my sisters and me. Granted, I'm 43 and my sisters are almost 40 and 39.

I just asked Google on my phone what to do with a cloth diaper and was led to this very comprehensive webpage. I'm so glad I don't have children.

I have a distinct memory of watching my mother repeatedly dipping a diaper in the toilet to remove the solid waste. I would've been five or so. I remember feeling like I never wanted to have to do that. Ha!

Edited by bilgistic
55 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

My mother used cloth diapers on my sisters and me. Granted, I'm 43 and my sisters are almost 40 and 39.

I just asked Google on my phone what to do with a cloth diaper and was led to this very comprehensive webpage. I'm so glad I don't have children.

I have a distinct memory of watching my mother repeatedly dipping a diaper in the toilet to remove the solid waste. I would've been five or so. I remember feeling like I never wanted to have to do that. Ha!

My kids are in their 40s and I used Pampers as did all my friends.  We were all counter culture and one would think we would go for the environment friendly way.  Hell no.  :)

S6:
Kind of underwhelming.   Has this show jumped the shark (sorry, couldn't resist)?  Obviously, they are just selling seats to anyone needing an infomercial, like Sara here.  I acknowledge that she is an amazing successful entrepreneur with an amazing successful product, but how can she even remotely be considered a shark (ie, a specialized investor with expertise in developing companies, at least as I understand it)).  I don't see how she's been instrumental in developing any business besides her own.  She added nothing, except to make me squint in the glare of those enormous teeth.   I'll make allowances for the fact that she was probably nervous, but someone should tell her to stop smiling so much.  I never thought I'd say this, as I am a pretty devoted Sacca hater, but I prefer him to her, if Ashton Kutcher is not available.

The second reason I think the show is in trouble (beside moving it to Sunday from Friday, at least in my market (Philadelphia, PA) is that they seem to be burning episodes, having 2 new episodes on at a time.  I guess that's probably a scheduling thing, but it really detracts from my enjoyment of the show.

I really liked the Father Figure (and his hair!) not to mention the cute babies.  Don't really see the point of paternity clothes, for the reasons above, but if they were less expensive, I could see buying them as a gift for a new father. 

Hated the special effects app, but I do think it will be successful as an add-on with amazon, the way audio books are offered when you buy an  e-book.  

I thought the drain thing looked like a good idea, didn't like the woman getting so emotional, though.  Nobody twisted your arm to make that deal.  I can't remember who they went with - Kevin?  He'd be the right one. 

Off to watch the next episode. 

Like everyone else I'm annoyed by Sacca. I did find his criticism on the WaiveCar interesting despite it being yet another opportunity for him to say "Uber" a lot. He may be right in that the big guys could simply steal the idea once it's figured out. On the other hand, Uber has PR issues and this was recorded before Travis Kalanick stepped down. It might be that they have bigger problems to worry about than some little ad-displaying startup.

I wonder if they'll actually close with Kevin. A short-term loan at 12% for 2% equity isn't what they needed a shark for. But I do think he's probably a better choice than Barbara for this kind of business.

17 hours ago, wings707 said:

My sons and all the parents with young children that I know, read books to their kids as a break from technology.  A book at bedtime with a cuddle to send them off to sleep is routine for most parents. The interactive books don't strike me as a product that will take off in a huge way.  I will go so far as to day it is a bad investment!

I wasn't impressed either. I do get that it makes reading stories exciting, and I could even see a pitch that's less about the parent reading and more about kids reading aloud themselves. However I think it's asking for trouble. What if it doesn't recognize your voice properly, or there's a sound effect where you didn't expect one, or there's NOT a sound effect and you're pausing waiting for one... It just seems like a one-time gimmick and not something I'd want to constantly fiddle with.

8 hours ago, wings707 said:

Mark made a curious deal with the scheduling app woman.  I am not sure what he has in mind but it is something different than what she presented.  She would have to move to Dallas so he/his people can work closely with her.  If I understood correctly she wants to list children's activities and events in each city on this app.  ???  Yeah, we all need another app.  

I wasn't impressed on the app either, but if she's getting subscribers maybe there's something.

Mark's offer reminded me of his offer two weeks ago (?) to provide accounting services. I wonder if he's trying to put his investments into a cooperative-like arrangement where they can share resources and lessons under the same roof..

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have seen those drainwig flower things advertised. It's interesting that the inventers lost their stake in it, or whatever happened. Wouldn't a lawyer be the better route to regaining the control over their product rather than a Shark? The inventors' appearance on the show is just going to drive demand for what is already in the marketplace. Or did I misunderstand the situation?

I don't think the problem was that they lost control. They made a licensing deal (imho not a bad one) and it expires soon, so now they want to do more of it themselves for a bigger cut. To be honest it struck me as greedy. And I don't mind people being greedy, but there's a chance it could blow up. (Hypothetical example: What if the infomercial company owns the rights to the name it's being sold under?)

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Well, seeing the pitch for the paternity clothes answered my questions.  It still seemed pretty stupid.  Regular clothes with some kind of loop on them?  I mean, my pants have a belt loop on them.  And what was the point of the pad on the shirt's shoulder?  So that it is a mildly softer surface for the baby to rest its head on?  Sara said what I was thinking when she pointed out that maternity clothes make sense because women go through physical changes during pregnancy.

I usually don't like Kevin's bluntness but it was welcome balm in the face of this turkey of an idea.

I think the point of the soft part of the clothes was because his son had sensitive skin so he wanted something that wouldn’t make babies break out. Didn’t anyone tell him about a fascinating invention called free and clear laundry detergent ?

It was a stupid idea and the clothes were ugly as sin and I didn’t care about the cute babies. At all. Stick the teething rings in your pocket and call it a damned day.  

Personally, I think someone should create a post partum line for women.  I know I cannot be the only woman whose shape completely changed after pregnancy.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I think the point of the soft part of the clothes was because his son had sensitive skin so he wanted something that wouldn’t make babies break out. Didn’t anyone tell him about a fascinating invention called free and clear laundry detergent ?

And, you know, he could wear soft t-shirts instead of denim shirts...? His stuff was the proverbial "solution in search of a problem".

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

Paternity clothes ended up stupid, not much of an innovation, and as others have said, it's a solution searching for a problem.

Both episodes were kind of dull. I do think the pearachute idea has merit, but probably not something that would work well in smaller towns. Our activities are all through the rec department or places like the Y that already charge a lot. But it would be nice to just drop in random classes. 

Wasn't there a tub drain thing on shark tank? The tub mushroom thing? I see advertisements for it still... and I think they had the same pitch- lots of girls at home with long hair etc... and theirs was the one that would catch all the hair!!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, roctavia said:

Both episodes were kind of dull. I do think the pearachute idea has merit, but probably not something that would work well in smaller towns. Our activities are all through the rec department or places like the Y that already charge a lot. But it would be nice to just drop in random classes.

"Smaller towns"?  Haven't you learned anything from Chris Saca?  There's no such thing as small towns.  Every person in the United States lives in a big city.  They spend all day following the latest social media trends on their smartphones and Ubering between trendy events.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I am still trying to figure out why the guy said his wife's father-in-law instead of just stating it was his father.  Strange.  

It wasn't.  It was his father-in-law, or his wife's father.  He just got the two phrases mangled together.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It just made me think of the millions of people who have to walk miles to get water and then carry it back to their homes, at eight pounds to the gallon, as these doofuses have their shower flowing while they floss their teeth.  Jesus.  Teenage girls take long enough showers as it is, and you give them more activities to do in there?

Thank you!!! It makes me crazy how much water we waste in this country. We could save so much water simply by turning it off while we're lathering up our shampoo. 

After seeing Sacca's shirt in the Hatch Baby update, I'm now beginning to wonder if there's some kind of competition to see who can wear the most ridiculous outfit. A three-way tie between the Cap'n Crunch jacket, Sacca's shirt, and Sara's dress that looks like it was designed by Hello Kitty. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I am still trying to figure out why the guy said his wife's father-in-law instead of just stating it was his father.  Strange.  

He was probably nervous, so he misspoke.

10 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Thank you!!! It makes me crazy how much water we waste in this country. We could save so much water simply by turning it off while we're lathering up our shampoo.

How long does it take you to lather up?  It takes me like 20 seconds.  Also, every shower I've ever used has some dial that has to turned to a precise degree to find that sweet spot between "ice cold" and "scalding hot".  Once I find that, I'm not turning off the water until I'm done.

• Love 9

I have hair that is past my shoulders, so it takes me at least 5-10 minutes to lather up. And it's very easy for me to access the right temperature again. But if it only takes you 20 seconds, then there is really no need for you to shut off the water.