Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: A Dark Knight: A Day in the Narrows

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

Bruce should feel good about killing Ra's (going back to the incredibly stupid "Batman doesn't kill" motto).  Ra's killed a kid by his own hand and murdered countless others by releasing the Tetch virus.  Such a "man" needs to be put down faster than a rabid dog.  What's the alternative?  Put him in prison or in the Asylum, both of which can't hold anyone for longer than a week (and nearly everyone is immortal).  Sorry, no -- there comes a time when Batman has to say "No more' and plunge the dagger deep.  Ra's wasn't joking when he said that if Bruce didn't kill him, he would lose everyone he loves.

So Bollock took payment from Penguin?  Big F'ing Deal.  Bullock wasn't doing anything other than what he was ordered to do by his boss.  Want to complain about corruption?  Start at the top, not with the middle guy.  If Bullock hadn't taken payment, absolutely nothing would have changed. 

But.... what happened to "We'll let Penguin's men be cannon-fodder", especially since this was pretty clearly a trap?  I know there's no tension if it's just nameless goons pinned down by machine gun fire, but how and why did Bullock change the plan so fast?

• Love 4
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, diebartdie said:

Bruce may have bought that club but it's still going to lose its liquor license due to all the under age drinking! Even if the show is set prior to 1984 (we have no idea when this show is really set), which is when the drinking age for all alcoholic beverages went up to 21 (prior to 1984 eighteen year olds could drink beer), Bruce and his party posse are all under 18.

Hey, TIG! (This Is Gotham), do you really think the licencing laws apply?

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, Miss Dee said:

That's true. I would say Chipotle has a more stringent hiring and training program than the GCPD at this time.

Given their casualty rate I figure they can't be too choosy?

(edited)
On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:27 PM, paigow said:

Besides Harvey & Jim are there any veterans left on GCPD? So many have been killed or quit or gone bad...GCPD is mostly a bunch of inexperienced dimwits that are "easily swayed"....

It was always that the GCPD were a reflection of the city itself and that reflection isn't pretty. It would be nice to have Montoya and her partner back. Are any of the 'Strike Team' still around, the GCPD now seem to have acquired themselves an ESU (like the NYPD). 

Edited by Joe Hellandback
An

1. Jim in the office in the Captain's chair for the first (?) time? I think Harvey can see where this is going.

2. Headhunter is so entertaining, so flamboyant compared to Victor, he reminds me of Wesley Snipes character in Demolition Man. Is he necessarily dead? He's certainly still breathing as Oswald walks away. Who or what exactly is Victor's 'bubba'?

3. We've always known the GCPD was brutal (and pretty much had to be) but their raid on The Narrows was positively fascist!

4. I love the idea that Bruce is so ragged he literally doesn't know what day it is?

5. Given that last time Pyg rigged the hostage cop with a grenade (nice that despite being corrupt his last redeeming act was to yell a warning to Jim and Harvey) people seem awfully blasé about boobytraps in this case?

6. Penguin and the little girl. It would be a long shot but Harleen Quinzel? 

7. Obviously the writers of this ep were keen fans of Pet Sematary not to mention Silence of the Lambs.

8. Not sure what to make of Grace, the girls at Fandomreactions immediately wrote her off as a 'gold digging whore' but I think that's a little harsh.

9. Penguin points out Jim's past sins (acting as his debt collector, killing Theo Galavan) and makes a good point.

10. The girls are back in town! Sound the 'siren'! And not before time. Love Tabby's little smirk as they walk away together, she finally has what she wanted, genuinely caring about both Selina and Barbara. Now if only Ivy could join in.   

• Love 1

As the Penguin and the cops were piling into the trapped building I was going, "Haven't any of you guys seen The Dark Knight Rises? OK, I guess you couldn't for continuity reasons..." I guess it really is "All or nothing" in Gotham!

I liked Headhunter! Totally OTT and ridiculous, but he fit right in for Gotham. I guess the fact that Ossie killed him doesn't entirely rule out his return...

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:07 AM, Chaos Theory said:

Babs, Tabs, and Little Kat what do we call them?  The Three Amigas or the Sisterhood of the Traveling Psychos?

Sisters (who) are stealing it for themselves? I liked them as a trio, I hope they get more screen time going forward.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:06 AM, Kostgard said:

After his conversation with Pyg with the ambulance where he acknowledged the shady shit he's done, I wish he had a moment where he tried to level with Harvey, all, "Look, we've both made mistakes. But this shit needs to stop and we both need to do it." Instead it was more of Jim looking down his nose at Harvey.

Yes! After all, Jim Gordon isn't a straight, by the book cop - he covertly (or in some versions, overtly) permits the operation of a vigilante to keep order in Gotham. But I was worried Pyg's infatuation with Gordon would shift when he heard Gordon wasn't so squeaky clean and he's try to kill him (even though Gordon is bulletproof, unless they're completely ripping up Bat-continuity).

• Love 1
15 hours ago, John Potts said:

As the Penguin and the cops were piling into the trapped building I was going, "Haven't any of you guys seen The Dark Knight Rises? OK, I guess you couldn't for continuity reasons..." I guess it really is "All or nothing" in Gotham!

I liked Headhunter! Totally OTT and ridiculous, but he fit right in for Gotham. I guess the fact that Ossie killed him doesn't entirely rule out his return...

Sisters (who) are stealing it for themselves? I liked them as a trio, I hope they get more screen time going forward.

Yes! After all, Jim Gordon isn't a straight, by the book cop - he covertly (or in some versions, overtly) permits the operation of a vigilante to keep order in Gotham. But I was worried Pyg's infatuation with Gordon would shift when he heard Gordon wasn't so squeaky clean and he's try to kill him (even though Gordon is bulletproof, unless they're completely ripping up Bat-continuity).

Is Headhunter dead? He's certainly still breathing at the end? I don't think the Sirens are psychos, they're very level headed girls but I wonder about Barbara after Bashir put the whammy on her?

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, jhlipton said:

Bruce should feel good about killing Ra's (going back to the incredibly stupid "Batman doesn't kill" motto).  Ra's killed a kid by his own hand and murdered countless others by releasing the Tetch virus.  Such a "man" needs to be put down faster than a rabid dog.  What's the alternative?  Put him in prison or in the Asylum, both of which can't hold anyone for longer than a week (and nearly everyone is immortal).  Sorry, no -- there comes a time when Batman has to say "No more' and plunge the dagger deep.  Ra's wasn't joking when he said that if Bruce didn't kill him, he would lose everyone he loves.

So Bollock took payment from Penguin?  Big F'ing Deal.  Bullock wasn't doing anything other than what he was ordered to do by his boss.  Want to complain about corruption?  Start at the top, not with the middle guy.  If Bullock hadn't taken payment, absolutely nothing would have changed. 

But.... what happened to "We'll let Penguin's men be cannon-fodder", especially since this was pretty clearly a trap?  I know there's no tension if it's just nameless goons pinned down by machine gun fire, but how and why did Bullock change the plan so fast?

You have to consider that if Bruce just says 'Okay they deserve it lets kill them' he essentially is just The Punisher, it's what makes Batman special. 

• Love 1
On 5/25/2018 at 11:57 AM, John Potts said:

"It's Gotham, Jim!"  No one stays dead!

• Love 1

What a bloodbath.  I can't say I liked this one too much since I'm not a huge fan of blood and gore.  The villain is now killing all cops instead of just the dirty ones, which took the tiny bit of complexity out of the equation.  I really don't like what they're doing to Harvey's character.  I wouldn't mind so much if it adds to his character, but it really doesn't.  He and Jim have grown to become a pretty in-sync team by this point, even if he is torn having to follow directives from corrupt higher-ups.  

Barbara's entrance to the bikers' place with the take-out food was amusing, but the rest of the subplot was rather dull.  I don't buy Barb's sudden turn-around, either.

I think Bruce's party-persona would have been more fun, if it all began as an act.  He was clearly drowning in alcohol because of pain, in this scenario.  I'm not sure why he was suddenly seeking company from people his own age, though maybe he was just attracted to that girl.  Still, it was pretty cool when he bought out the club and put on those sunglasses.  I'm not sure what the outcry is with underage drinking.  This is Gotham after all.  No one cares.  And it's unfortunately all too common among teenagers that age even in North America where people do care (presumably). 

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1