Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Derek

34 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Michael hung out and talekev with Eleanor in all the iterations. I think their relationship has changed Eleanor for the better just as much as her relationship she has with Chidi.

I was thinking that as well. In a way Michael is teaching her, too, through her being able to/having to teach *him* - teaching someone else is really one of the best ways to learn something, because to do that you have to understand it yourself.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Unless that person could hear what they were saying that wouldn' matter. Michael hung out and talekev with Eleanor in all the iterations. I think their relationship has changed Eleanor for the better just as much as her relationship she has with Chidi.

True, but it seems like Michael has to report to Vicky about his interactions with the four and how he's supposed to be torturing them... and I think he needs to be careful about how a lot of that looks so as to not raise suspicions too much.  I hope the reason Shawn is there is not because of Michael's suspicious behavior.  I think Michael spends a lot of time with the four humans that he may not be able to properly account for, especially compared to before they teamed up.   The camera work definitely gave me the impression that they were being watched.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1

I kind of thought that about the camera work too at first, but I've been watching a British show lately that uses that same framing technique (showing people as if from the vantage of someone hidden from the actors in the shot) just for style, not to demonstrate that someone was watching.  And while watching the Brit show, I kept being annoyed that no one was watching, and here I apparently finally trained myself not to think that just because of the framing!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, SoothingDave said:

My favorite part was when Jason hit the ball with the mallet and then yelled out "Thor!"

And when Tahani yelled "The (sorry, forgot the name of the team Jason likes) are very good!"

I loved when she said she never wears her hair up because she's not a factory worker, because it's bothered me since the very first episode that she never changes her hairdo!

• Love 3
On 11/4/2017 at 4:10 AM, Isazouzi said:

Tahani yelled "The (sorry, forgot the name of the team Jason likes) are very good!"

Jaguars!  In British English! Which made the joke even funnier to me.

Recently I had been feeling that I needed more Eleanor, and this episode satisfied my cravings. But everyone got a chance to shine.  Loved it!

... and of course Tahani has a fainting couch. Of course she does. Ha!

Edited by DEM
  • Love 5

Thinking Jason’s school. Boats hooked together in a junkyard and most of the classes selling magazines door to door. It wasn’t a very good school, he explains. 

Comes to me.. Jason is a true innocent, Chidi’s opposite. Chidi has too much education to make ethical decisions. Jason has too little. Tahani has only barely learned she has a problem  

Eleanor emerges as the heart of this group because she can apply reason to her actions. 

Rousseau, I guess. 

It explains why Jason is so nasty and yet so sweet. 

Edited by Affogato
Forgot my point.
  • Love 11

All these comments and no one mentioned possibly my favorite line from the episode. The delivery was as good as the line. Can't wait for it to come back in December.

Eleanor to Michael: "Girl, you're a messy bench who loves drama and I'm into it!"

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 15
On 11/3/2017 at 7:00 PM, SoothingDave said:

My favorite part was when Jason hit the ball with the mallet and then yelled out "Thor!"

OMG, is that what he said?! That's great. I heard (assumed) "fore", and I was kind of surprised he knew the right term...

• Love 2
On 11/6/2017 at 11:35 AM, snarktini said:

OMG, is that what he said?! That's great. I heard (assumed) "fore", and I was kind of surprised he knew the right term...

Ah. But the whole joke is based on the fact that he DIDN'T know the right term.  Just kind of what it sounded like.

I hope the reason Shawn is there is not because of Michael's suspicious behavior. 

Yeah - now that I think about it, it's entirely possible Shawn's sudden appearance is a red herring, and he's there for something else, and still doesn't know what Michael is doing. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah - now that I think about it, it's entirely possible Shawn's sudden appearance is a red herring, and he's there for something else, and still doesn't know what Michael is doing. 

Indeed. He could be there to congratulate Michael on the second and final attempt having run so well for a couple centuries now. I don't think Vicki would have spilled the beans because she seemed to be enjoying herself and doing so would ruin it for her as well.

• Love 3

I stopped watching after the episode "Existential Dilemma" or whatever, but tonight I caught up on the last 3 episodes and am so glad I did, just in the nick of time! Now it's all fresh in my head and I'm super excited to see waht tomorrow brings :)!

OK, I'm fairly sure Michael really is coming round to see the Fab Four as allies. He actually listened (a bit) to Chidi's teaching, even if he was more tempted by Eleanor's "looser" interpretation. Though the doctrine of double effect is frequently used as a justification for doing something that seems immoral for a "good" reason (the classic example is giving terminal patients painkillers to relieve their pain, knowing it will shorten their lives).

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Glad they didn't go through with the Jason/Tahani marriage because it felt rushed, but I do think it was the characters themselves that were rushing it.  Jason is such a simple goof that he probably thought "Hey, we like each other and the do the sex, so why not get married?!", while Tahani seems to be at a point now that she likes any kind of connection and let herself get talked into it.

Agreed - also, how would "Till death do us part" in the Afterlife? Then again, they're definitely in the right place if they need a divorce lawyer... But on the subject of splitting up, did Janet just bury Derek alive? That's one bad break up!

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh shit! Everyone's in trouble! Again...forking unfair!

Well it is The Bad Place, it's not meant to be fair!