Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Come on Down to My Boat, Baby

• Start Topic

What? Maggie has always been portrayed as socially awkward, almost painfully so; she's far from some epitome of a strong, confident, hear-me-roar woman. That's why her "I'm so amazing!!!!11" speech felt wildly OOC, but I wouldn't read too much into it. It was just lousy writing.

Edited by Joana
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Joana said:

What? Maggie has always been portrayed as socially awkward, almost painfully so; she's far from some epitome of a strong, confident, hear-me-roar woman. That's why her "I'm so amazing!!!!11" speech felt wildly OOC, but I wouldn't read too much into it. It was just lousy writing.

Social awkwardness doesn't equate to self-esteem. Her being socially awkward was due to her past; her peers didn't respect her due to her young age and because she's a black woman in a high position in medicine. Her social awkwardness lessened due to being able to maintain her friends and bonding with Meredith. I think that was the whole point of the scene.

24 minutes ago, moonorchid said:

Cristina is famous for saying “I’m hot, I’m a hot person”...

Yeah she is and no one gave her flack for it either. 

• Love 1

Her social awkwardness seems to have gotten worse to me. Ducking behind the counter when the cute guy comes to pick you up for a date isn't cute or playful. It's downright rude and annoying.

Can we bring Stephanie back and get rid of Maggie? 

• Love 8

I openly said that I wished the tumor killed Amelia and when that didn't happen, I also said I was hoping to see her die in Owen's truck on the drive home. 

I'm an equal opportunity hater.

I'd also like to see Jo, Carina, Owen and Amelia leave. I was happy to see Riggs go.bBring in someone, anyone to do ortho now that Callie is gone. The cast is far too big and yet they're not bringing in needed people. Like an oncologist. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Court said:

The cast is far too big and yet they're not bringing in needed people. Like an oncologist. 

Even more than an oncologist, they need a decent psychiatrist. 

It's a show about surgeons, and that's all they care about.  I remember in s1 when there were five premature infants born and the surgical interns were told to watch over them and make sure they stayed alive.  It was ridiculous because any hospital the size of Seattle Grace has one or more neonatologists and certainly a number of paediatric residents. But no, the newbie surgical interns who knew pretty much nothing were charged with keeping the babies alive.

It's something I've had to accept with Grey's. That, and the fact that every character acts like a 13 year old including Bailey and Richard.  And Catherine, ugh.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lavenderrose said:

LOL so now self confidence is a no-no? She can say that out loud because she is a beautiful, smart, and talented woman who has no issue with self-esteem. Maggie was raised to love herself unlike the rest of the characters (maybe except for April, but she's overshadowed by her sisters). Beauty is subjective blah blah but compared to the remaining cast members who are looking haggard from the toils that poor writing has put them through (including Jesse who is wearing the look of a dramatic divorce not so well tbh), I would definitely say that besides Jo, Maggie is the best looking there. Again, a scene meant to be humorous and relatable portrayed Maggie of course, was taken out of context. Surprise surprise. 

Having self-esteem is fine, but I don't think what she said had anything to do with that.  There's over-inflated ego, which is what I think Maggie has.  I also think that's the issue with Meredith, the "sun."  

If anyone says "I'm pretty" around a bunch of people and then hears crickets, I'd say that person deserves the embarrassment.

• Love 3

I was a little disappointed in this episode simply because I had high expectations for the guys on the boat.  I agree that it seemed weird that all of these guys, who at best had little in common and little screentime previously and at worst were, you know, involved in a near fatal beating/lawsuit/near felony prison sentence, are all laughing it up on a boat that got bought 2 minutes before.  In the end, it just seemed like an excuse for awkward exposition about Jackson/Maggie, Ben and his new spinoff and setting the stage for Owen to hook up DeLuca's sister.  Per usual, we got no insight into Alex whatsoever, he just sat there and played Greek Chorus to everyone else.  Oh well, at least he looked as horrified as I do about the prospect of him sleeping with Meredith.  That's something I guess.

I liked that Jo is getting pro-active about her situation and I really liked her scenes with Meredith.  As much as I appreciate that Krista Vernoff is trying to reset the show and perhaps change some stuff that isn't working, I am having a harder time with some of the retcons that I thought I would.  I hated the "Mer hates Jo for no reason" storyline and the "Jo is the worst doctor on the planet" storyline so I figured that I would be thrilled to put all of that to bed, but its not working for me as much as I had hoped.  Let's be honest, if Jo gets Chief Resident, its only because she is literally the only one left.  And I'm ready for her to just take the boards and become an attending already.  So now I am kind of wary of how the domestic storyline will be dealt with.  I would love to just ignore all of the basic inconsistencies and outright contradictions of her past, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to.  I can handwave the name change/college entrance stuff if I have to, because I doubt any of it is going to really get explained, but its been going on for so long and its such an important and topical issue that they really need to be careful with it.  Beyond that, I"m glad that things seem to be going well for Alex and Jo and I'm a sucker for their banter ("I love you." "You smell like fish guts."  Adorable.)  I could use a real heartfelt conversation about how Alex felt about being lied to and the fallout from the DeLuca beating, but that seems like water under the bridge at this point.

I am not a fan of Maggie either, but I don't think that the she gets any more hate than many others (Amelia, Jo, April).  Part of it is that I don't particularly care for the awkward, stammering characters whether it is George, Lexie, April or Maggie.  George and Lexie could be funny at times, but that was way back when the writing was much better.   My bigger problem is that in the last few seasons, the writers`1 re-positioned the show to be about Meredith and her Sisters and those characters who don't fall into that orbit get the shaft constantly.  Amelia and Maggie get way more to do than characters who have been there three times as long and it annoys me.  I know more about how Maggie's family than I do Alex's or Arizona's.  I know more about Amelia's past than I do about Richard's and I never watched PP.  So that is my issue. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Having self-esteem is fine, but I don't think what she said had anything to do with that.  There's over-inflated ego, which is what I think Maggie has.  I also think that's the issue with Meredith, the "sun."  

If anyone says "I'm pretty" around a bunch of people and then hears crickets, I'd say that person deserves the embarrassment.

The thing is, I don't ever see Maggie saying she's pretty just like that. It would be more something like: "I'm pretty. Right? I'm pretty, right? I am pretty. Do you think I'm pretty? My mom always said I'm pretty. But, would De Luca have dumped me like that if I really was pretty? So, I'm pretty, but not everyone thinks I'm pretty enough. Riggs didn't. But, no, I am pretty. Really, I am. Someone please shut me up". Now, that I could believe. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, lavenderrose said:

I, personally would love to see Maggie/Jackson. The story line could be a breath of fresh air for both characters. There's nothing incestuous about them being together and I don't think the writers are attempting to draw Game of Thrones like buzz. Game of Thrones has actual incest. Maggie doesn't claim Webber as a father, and he's barely a step-father to Jackson. They're two adults who met, became friends, and now possible romantic partners. 

Obviously the writers don't see it that way.

Else how would "your sister" come out of Katheryn Avery's mouth, or "my sister" out of Jackson's mouth?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Court said:

It has zero to do with race. It has to do with I like Stephanie and miss her presence, and I don't like Maggie. Considering I want Jo to also leave, why would I want her to replace anyone?

First, there's implications that posters here don't like Maggie because she's black. I don't like her because she's annoying and acts like a 13 year old constantly. Grow up, be an adult. Walk up to the cute guy and say hello. Or that you made a mistake and don't want to go on the date. We're told she's brilliant but we don't see her doing research or cutting edge surgeries. I don't like Amelia either but at least we see her being a brilliant surgeon.

Also, we've already done the Jackson falls for the awkward girl more than once. Okay, fine that's his type. Whatever. I originally wanted him and April together but looking back, I think Stephanie was a better match.

I agree. 

Stephanie's character was rounded.  We know what a fighter she is, because she overcame a horrid childhood illness, and it lit her fire to become a "shark" surgeon.  She's fierce, and beautiful, smart and driven.  Contrast to Maggie, who is "a prodigy".  Not driven, because academics come easily to her.  Attractive in a quirky sort of way. And frankly, "socially awkward" should have been worked out by now, she's in her early 30's, and no longer 16....and her co-workers and peers aren't 16 either, they're all adults, and (mostly) act like it.   Also, she KNOWS she's awkward, so why doesn't she WORK at that, like everyone else had to "work at" surgery...those who didn't have the Ellis Grey gift of surgical super-powers? 

It's not as if Maggie is unaware of her failings.  When Minnick was around, Maggie acknowledged that she wasn't a very good teacher, because everything came so easily to her in medicine/the OR that it caused her to be oblivious about her students' ability to learn what she was trying to teach them.  The writers missed an excellent opportunity with Maggie in that regard.  Perhaps she should seek Meredith's therapist, and do a little work on her social awkwardness....I'd love to see her emerge into as competent a woman in social situations as she is in the medical arena.  It would be a good story line....and then match her up with someone her total equal, like they did with Christina & Burke.  Play strength to strength.  I just find this whole Maggie/Jackson thing icky and a total misfit of their personalities.  We need another Burke.  Or another Callie, the Ortho God.  Both of whom were total badasses in their fields, and in their certainty of how they wanted to live their lives.

• Love 7
On 11/5/2017 at 1:08 PM, Joana said:

I know that domestic abuse is an important issue that should be talked about more, I really do, but sorry, I just can't get behind Jo's horrendously retconned abusive husband story. It doesn't fit in her backstory and no matter what they keep saying, whenever I look at her I DON'T see an abuse survivor or fugitive. I really hope that storyline is resolved in a bubble episode, so I can skip it altogether.

But what does an abuse survivor look like?  What does an abuser look like?  I have thankfully never been in that situation but I doubt that everyone handles it the same way.  I agree that the husband part of the backstory doesn't make a lot of sense, but as horribly inconsistent as Jo has been written, her having been abused in some way has always been apparent, at least to me. She has hinted about it from the beginning and she clearly had issues with violence (which sadly isn't out of the ordinary for kids having been through the foster care system, etc.) The writers have done such a poor job with Jo already, and its really disheartening to read comments (here and other places) from people who think she is lying about it all for attention, that Alex almost going to jail is her fault, that she is too pretty to be an abuse victim and, of course, those hoping that husband will come back to kill her.  And lots of girls and young women watch this show, so I really hope that they are responsible about it.

By the time we met Jo she had already achieved the hardest step of being an abuse survivor, she left him.  Her self esteem would have improved tremendously from the moment that she had the courage to walk out. It makes sense that she doesn’t now  look like a victim.

In just the few episodes of this season, I find her to be much more similar to the character who was originally introduced than the whiny girl who pouts because Meredith the Head Cheerleader is mean. 

Jo graduated from Harvard Medical right? Did the writers ever explain how she was able to afford that? Given her “I live in my car” trope?  

She mentioned that she got scholarships.

I thought so and it’s why I didn’t really care for Jackson this episode. He’s behaving like hes never had money. He’s never been this flamboyant with it. Now he alluded to not being happy when he told the guys he was “buying happiness” so if this is a pebble to something I can buy it. Otherwise these are rich boy problems that he needs to get over. I get it’s overwhelming but he’s being offtered choices, which I guess he may not understand cause he’s always been offered choices.

I agree.  I remember a few seasons back when Jackson had this terrible monologue about "poor me, I'm so rich and good looking that no one takes me seriously."  Ugh, I hated it and I'm glad that they kind of backed away from all of that.  I like it when he is a bit more embarrassed by his name and wealth and when he uses his good looks in a cocky way (I vaguely remember him taking of his shirt to get a surgery or when a bunch of them did surgery some place else and all the women accused him of flirting, etc.)  I really like that Jackson and its part of why I wish they would rekindle his friendship with Alex because it allows him to kind of be funny about it.  I hope that the doctors get competitive with each other again and that this is kind of where Jackson is going with whatever his proposal to Bailey is.

Edited by Deanie87
On 5.11.2017 at 7:08 PM, Joana said:

that Ben is leaving (which we knew already)

BEN IS LEAVING?! Why..... :(

22 hours ago, Inerttt said:

Jo graduated from Harvard Medical right? Did the writers ever explain how she was able to afford that? Given her “I live in my car” trope?  

Wasn't it the husband who payed for the school?

And one thing more... At this point, does Jo has anybody to compete with e.g. in running for the chief resident? Mousy died, Ross's gone, Stephanie's gone , Ben is going to be gone... Am I missing someone?

22 minutes ago, lorbeer said:

BEN IS LEAVING?! Why..... :(

Wasn't it the husband who payed for the school?

And one thing more... At this point, does Jo has anybody to compete with e.g. in running for the chief resident? Mousy died, Ross's gone, Stephanie's gone , Ben is going to be gone... Am I missing someone?

Ben is going to the firefighter spinoff.  But do we know if he will still ever be on Grey's?  I like Ben, so that stinks.

Jo said in one of her first episodes that she went to college/medical school on a scholarship.  Maybe they'll retcon it and have the husband pay for some of it (like maybe the scholarship was for college but then he helped pay for med school.)  And yep, she's in the running for CR because there is no one left LOL.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

Ben is going to the firefighter spinoff.  But do we know if he will still ever be on Grey's?  I like Ben, so that stinks.

Jo said in one of her first episodes that she went to college/medical school on a scholarship.  Maybe they'll retcon it and have the husband pay for some of it (like maybe the scholarship was for college but then he helped pay for med school.)  And yep, she's in the running for CR because there is no one left LOL.

Noo... he's one of the very few characters I actually like and NOT get irritated by. I sometimes wonder why am I still watching the show...

Bailey became very annoying and she's the worst chief and now she's going to loose the only one interesting thing about her...

Edited by lorbeer
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I liked that Jo is getting pro-active about her situation and I really liked her scenes with Meredith.  As much as I appreciate that Krista Vernoff is trying to reset the show and perhaps change some stuff that isn't working, I am having a harder time with some of the retcons that I thought I would.  I hated the "Mer hates Jo for no reason" storyline and the "Jo is the worst doctor on the planet" storyline so I figured that I would be thrilled to put all of that to bed, but its not working for me as much as I had hoped.  Let's be honest, if Jo gets Chief Resident, its only because she is literally the only one left.  And I'm ready for her to just take the boards and become an attending already.  So now I am kind of wary of how the domestic storyline will be dealt with.  I would love to just ignore all of the basic inconsistencies and outright contradictions of her past, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to.  I can handwave the name change/college entrance stuff if I have to, because I doubt any of it is going to really get explained, but its been going on for so long and its such an important and topical issue that they really need to be careful with it.  Beyond that, I"m glad that things seem to be going well for Alex and Jo and I'm a sucker for their banter ("I love you." "You smell like fish guts."  Adorable.)  I could use a real heartfelt conversation about how Alex felt about being lied to and the fallout from the DeLuca beating, but that seems like water under the bridge at this point.

I feel very similar about this. I was thinking, the writers just have to give Jo the focus she so desperately needed and then I would be totally on board with everything, but so far I'm not completely invested sadly. But I am glad they stopped writing Jo like she's the loser resident, but now they go overboard in the other direction. She's a star resident and possibly future Chief resident? That's nice I guess, but I can't get too excited about it, because we haven't seen enough of Jo as a doctor to say she's earned that, although what we've seen this season is already a huge improvement to the last 3 seasons. Plus she's obviously competing against "invisible" residents, because soon she's gonna be the only one left of her class.

On the one hand I'm extremely glad Jo decided to take matters into her own hands regarding her husband and that her decision didn't have anything to do with a man. However, part of me is disappointed that years of being with Alex - knowing he wanted to marry her and wanting to marry him in return - did apparently nothing to give her the courage and the desire to get pro-active about the situation. Instead she gave Alex non-answers to his proposals and avoided the issue entirely.

I hate to say it, because I like Jo and I want to like her story, but so far I'm still not completely sold on the DV plot. I want it to move me, I want it to get to me, but so far it's just... there. Maybe I'll get more invested once husband shows up. I sure hope so. I remember that scene from s9 between Alex and Jo when the tree crashed through the window and I think that's the moment Jo's character has evoked the most emotion in me. I absolutely love that scene for both characters. It was so raw and honest and full of tension and unsaid things hanging in the air. I love that sort of head-on confrontation between any two characters if it's well done. Which is also why, I'm bummed we never got something like that after Jo's secret was spilled. I guess the writers were too afraid it could be dangerously close to victim-shaming, so that never happened. But I wish Alex and Jo had at least been granted an actual talk about everything that happened. Alex just being okay with all the lying and secrets doesn't feel right. But I know we're way past the point of getting a real conversation about everything that happened.

• Love 2

To be honest I thought the chief resident shout out was Moreso done to give Jo more reasons to not want to hide her away from things anymore. I assumed her usual instinct would be not to put her name forward so then he couldn't find her. I don't know though - none of it really adds up which is a shame because it's about the most effort they've put into her in about 3 years.

• Love 2

TBH, I thought the chief resident thing was only mentioned for the sake of continuity, to show us that they still remember such position exists. Just like we had a shout-out to Ben's transsexual sister in the same episode. I feel like establishing connection with past events is something they're really going for this season.

Of course, on the other hand we have Jo not wanting to publish her name in the paper while she's already testified in court before and had her name out in public, or everyone being so excited about Meredith's Harper Avery nomination after it's been made well clear no one from GSMH will never win it. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Joana said:

TBH, I thought the chief resident thing was only mentioned for the sake of continuity, to show us that they still remember such position exists. Just like we had a shout-out to Ben's transsexual sister in the same episode. I feel like establishing connection with past events is something they're really going for this season.

Of course, on the other hand we have Jo not wanting to publish her name in the paper while she's already testified in court before and had her name out in public, or everyone being so excited about Meredith's Harper Avery nomination after it's been made well clear no one from GSMH will never win it. 

Did everyone find out that no one from GSMH will ever win it? I remember Christina learning she would never win it while working on the hospital, but I thought someone pulled her aside and told just her.  I don't remember a scene where she shared that news with everyone else, but I could easily be forgetting.

2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did everyone find out that no one from GSMH will ever win it? I remember Christina learning she would never win it while working on the hospital, but I thought someone pulled her aside and told just her.  I don't remember a scene where she shared that news with everyone else, but I could easily be forgetting.

Richard and Catherine had a falling out over it, and Richard spoke to Meredith about it, so Meredith has been informed.  (ETA S10:E22)

Edited by Scatterbrained
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, moonorchid said:

True! But Maggie is the april people like. Plus...I’m on the verge of getting political, but a guy like him with a girl who looks like maggie is more what I was getting at.

ive seen people praise and love maggie cause she represents a part of a community that is under represented at large and having a guy like Jackson that looks the way he does find that desiarable is huge, I can totally admit that much. I just don’t think they are going to garner the popularity Kelly and Jesse and Krista and co think they are going to get.

A show that gives us Ben and Miranda and Catherine and Richard doesn't necessarily need to give us Jackson and Maggie, too.

As someone who "looks like" Maggie and has been acquainted with men who look like Jackson, I'm unimpressed.  After Jackson publicly humiliated Stephanie at April's wedding, I'd advise Maggie, and any other Maggie-like people to stay far, far away from Jackson. 

It's okay for red-headed mid-western farm girls to be desired by guys who look like Jackson, too! 

Why did Maggie have internet-guy meet her at her job? Isn't there a bar across the street?

• Love 3

First let me get this out of the way.  I like Maggie.  I also liked Stephanie.  I HATE JO AND AMELIA.  I don't hate April but she's the most annoying person in the world sometimes.

I haven't noticed any  racial bias towards Maggie but I have noticed that other then Meredith and Christina...the women on Grey's Anatomy are not well written and tend to be annoying.

The men to me on the show are always written with more depth.

I also do not think there is a major disparagement between Jackson and Maggie's looks. They are both attractive people, the issue is they have poor chemistry on screen.

I thought the same about Riggs and Meredith.  Sometimes I think that there is a hat in the writers' and they just draw out couples at random.

Maggie had great chemistry with Riggs, yet this was sacrificed for his barely there chemistry with Meredith.

Let's jump into this awful episode.

First, this Jo and her ex has been going on forever...either move this plot forward or dump it.  I barely have any interest in Jo as it is and I don't understand why this is being teased like it's a major hookup during sweeps.  It's not get it over with. 

Jackson and Maggie - I am not feeling this...I didn't like him with April either.  I actually liked Jackson with Stephanie.

Ben's spin off-does anyone care enough about Ben for this?  I am seriously asking.

I thought no one could win the Harper Avery that is why Christina left.

Other than that...blah blah blah...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, dmc said:

Ben's spin off-does anyone care enough about Ben for this?  I am seriously asking.

I think Jason George is a completely bland, basically charisma-free actor, and Ben comes across as either smug, a dick, or both – no other levels there.  I don't think anyone actually cares about following Ben to his own show.  However, Shondaland keeps trying to make him happen.

Its-Not-Going-to-Happen-Mean-Girls.gif?s

• Love 3

Party of one here: I love Jason George and will watch his new show. Especially if there's reasons for him to take his shirt off. I think he's more attractive than Jesse Williams.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

I think Jason George is a completely bland, basically charisma-free actor, and Ben comes across as either smug, a dick, or both – no other levels there.  I don't think anyone actually cares about following Ben to his own show.  However, Shondaland keeps trying to make him happen.

Its-Not-Going-to-Happen-Mean-Girls.gif?s

Cosigned why is this spin off happening- I won't be watching

11 minutes ago, Court said:

Party of one here: I love Jason George and will watch his new show. Especially if there's reasons for him to take his shirt off. I think he's more attractive than Jesse Williams.

I don't think he's not attractive for me he is just not compelling

• Love 1

I think Jason George is very easy on the eyes and his character is a welcome addition to the show if used in adequate doses, but no, I don't care nearly enough to watch the spin-off.

Frankly, I find this whole firefighter spin-off thing of one the more bizarre ideas to ever come off GA, and god knows there have been plenty. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Joana said:

I think Jason George is very easy on the eyes and his character is a welcome addition to the show if used in adequate doses, but no, I don't care nearly enough to watch the spin-off.

Frankly, I find this whole firefighter spin-off thing of one the more bizarre ideas to ever come off GA, and god knows there have been plenty. 

Truly.  They had a fair group of regular paramedics there for a while.  (Flash mob proposal).  THAT might have been a better bunch to spin off. 

• Love 1

Why did Maggie have internet-guy meet her at her job? Isn't there a bar across the street?

Although one of the other cast members (Bailey?) advised her to meet him in a public place and to have an exit strategy ready, Maggie was all fired up and said, No, I'm meeting him here! Like it was some sort of mildly rebellious, quasi-risky action to show that she meant business! No more playing it safe! Time to go walk on the wild side! 

Well, we all saw how THAT went. 

Ben is a nice guy but nowhere near charismatic or dynamic enough to carry a show. I'm sure his spin off will be replete with another large ensemble cast of very good looking people, each with a unique/quirky/troubled/secret past. I would assume that from the first episode, the characters will start pairing off like Noah's Ark, and that one of Ben's new co-workers will make a play for him, not caring at all that he's happily married. And as with the departure of Riggs, Ben's absence merely creates an opening for a new character to join the staff. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

Ben is a nice guy but nowhere near charismatic or dynamic enough to carry a show. I'm sure his spin off will be replete with another large ensemble cast of very good looking people, each with a unique/quirky/troubled/secret past. I would assume that from the first episode, the characters will start pairing off like Noah's Ark, and that one of Ben's new co-workers will make a play for him, not caring at all that he's happily married. And as with the departure of Riggs, Ben's absence merely creates an opening for a new character to join the staff. 

I don't think Ben/Jason George is meant to carry the new show, although the intent might be for him to be the instrument to "carry over" Grey's viewers..  It sounds like there is a main character (female) and he is one of the cast around her.

In any case, I'm not so sure about this spin-off either, especially because it comes from the same person who brought us season 13.

• Love 2

I am sure that romantic tension will be as  major a plot point around the lead of the spin off as it is on Greys. Unless Ben and Bailey divorce they can’t do that freely with Ben. However as only one of the ensemble they can just leave his happy marriage in the background of the rest of the action. 

Edited by Pink ranger

Ben is going to help start up the new Shonda show.  If it's a success, and almost all Shonda's shows are, he won't be back except for the crossovers. (Ironically the only Shonda show that failed was Off The Map with Martin Henderson and Jason George.)

I was talking yesterday to a friend of mine who is a retired teacher and she commented that a number of her former students who had neurological problems were children of cousins marrying cousins. Marrying relatives is encouraged among cultural groups who don't want to dilute their group with outsiders.  It's common for people to marry within the family, and so do their kids.

So no matter how many times Katherine Avery says "your sister" to Jackson, it's nowhere near incest.  I strongly suspect that Jackson referring to Maggie as his sister on the boat was so that the other men can convince him in upcoming episodes that she isn't and he asks her out.

On 11/6/2017 at 0:11 AM, tua20782 said:

These four have the more traditionally feminine traits.  Izzie would be another one. They’re prone to reacting emotionally, crying when upset, talking about their feelings, high strung etc. I’ve seen a lot of viewers characterize them as “whiny” especially compared  to Meredith and Cristina’s twisted sisters.  I think those characters just tend to verbalize their problems instead of ignoring it or drinking it away.

That's a good point.  Cristina and especially Meredith are just as emotionally screwed up as Amelia, Maggie, April or Izzie but they don't get the shade for it.

8 hours ago, dmc said:

Maggie had great chemistry with Riggs, yet this was sacrificed for his barely there chemistry with Meredith.

Another of the big mistakes of previous seasons, like Amelia's refusal to talk to Owen, Alex beating up DeLuca and a bunch of other stuff.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I strongly suspect that Jackson referring to Maggie as his sister on the boat was so that the other man can convince him in upcoming episodes that she isn't and he asks her out.

That's exactly how I took it, too. 

Just like Katherine didn't really think she's related to Jackson when she referred to her as his sister, it's that she doesn't like her enough to want her to be her potential daughter-in-law and wanted to make sure they don't even consider getting into a romantic relationship.

• Love 3

I have a stupid question that I know has been answered at some point, but I can't find the answer. With regard to Jo not having her name on the paper with Meredith, she's concerned with her ex finding her, but she is using a different name, so what's the deal?

18 minutes ago, hiccup said:

I have a stupid question that I know has been answered at some point, but I can't find the answer. With regard to Jo not having her name on the paper with Meredith, she's concerned with her ex finding her, but she is using a different name, so what's the deal?

The article still would have had Jo’s picture.

On 11/2/2017 at 10:33 PM, lavenderrose said:

He got a quarter of a billion. 250 million.

Oh my god. I also thought it was a quarter of a million, so I wondered what the big deal was, since Jackson's family is rich.