Type keyword(s) to search

Zari Tomaz: Futuristic Hacker

• Start Topic

I like the way that Zari is able to easily blend jaded cynicism and wide-wonder without either coming across as overblown or out of character.  She spent most of her life in a dystopia where reading people quickly and assuming the worst were necessary survival skills, hence her ease at sizing up the Legends.  At the same time, the idea of time travel is so fresh and new that even randomly speaking French is really cool.  You know that part of that is that she thinks she's in a position to change her life, really change her whole world for the better just by making the right adjustment to the past.  Which means her disappointment will be all the more crushing when she comes to understand things aren't nearly that simple.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2017 at 5:37 PM, johntfs said:

I like the way that Zari is able to easily blend jaded cynicism and wide-wonder without either coming across as overblown or out of character.  She spent most of her life in a dystopia where reading people quickly and assuming the worst were necessary survival skills, hence her ease at sizing up the Legends.  At the same time, the idea of time travel is so fresh and new that even randomly speaking French is really cool.  You know that part of that is that she thinks she's in a position to change her life, really change her whole world for the better just by making the right adjustment to the past.  Which means her disappointment will be all the more crushing when she comes to understand things aren't nearly that simple.

She does seem to be pretty good at adapting quickly, however.  When Ray told her to try thinking like an eight-year-old in order to get through to his younger self, she caught on really quickly and even got into it.  I have a feeling that she and Ray will get to be very good friends -- maybe not in the romantic sense, but definitely as close as a man and a woman can get platonically.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

Zari: This is a great gift. Way better than a medal. Cause you can eat it.

Zari and her food issues crack me up.  Not that it's funny the situation she grew up in.  Her keen appreciation of food makes perfect sense.  But I love how the show keeps throwing in these little references to how much Zari loves food. :)

• Love 4
On 11/22/2017 at 7:00 PM, Starfish35 said:

Zari and her food issues crack me up.  Not that it's funny the situation she grew up in.  Her keen appreciation of food makes perfect sense.  But I love how the show keeps throwing in these little references to how much Zari loves food. :)

THIS, YES!

I absolutely love Zari's character - she's the literal definition of what a Legend is. I just wish they wouldn't of stripped her of the full Isis powers or the superhero name in general, but oh well. In the comics, her brother took the codename Osiris, maybe they can use that for her. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, teenj12 said:

THIS, YES!

I absolutely love Zari's character - she's the literal definition of what a Legend is. I just wish they wouldn't of stripped her of the full Isis powers or the superhero name in general, but oh well. In the comics, her brother took the codename Osiris, maybe they can use that for her. 

I read some spec that might happen because Zari's costume looks a lot like his. 

Zari is so far a great example of how to introduce, write and cast a new character. She fits in well with the group but has a definite personality and her own issues. And because the LOT writers know how to write an ensemble even though she's had quite a bit of focus so far, it doesn't really feel at the expense of other characters. I hope they can keep that up.

• Love 7

Reading all the above posts about how awesome Zari is just makes me sad all over again.

I've been procrastinating and I ended up on Isis' wikipedia page. I know the writers were going for a Captain Planet motif with the amulets, but they really de-powered her amulet. I know there are too many people on this show, but I'd still like to keep her brother around somehow and I wonder if there's a way to bring in another amulet with more of Isis' powers? Though the fact that Zari's brother's name on the show is different than his name in the comics makes me think he isn't long for this world.

18 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

Reading all the above posts about how awesome Zari is just makes me sad all over again.

I've been procrastinating and I ended up on Isis' wikipedia page. I know the writers were going for a Captain Planet motif with the amulets, but they really de-powered her amulet. I know there are too many people on this show, but I'd still like to keep her brother around somehow and I wonder if there's a way to bring in another amulet with more of Isis' powers? Though the fact that Zari's brother's name on the show is different than his name in the comics makes me think he isn't long for this world.

I'm pretty sure that Isis was created for Saturday morning and then made her way to the comics.  I wonder if DC doesn't actually hold the TV/Movie rights to the character, if they stayed with Filmation (I just looked, and Wikipedia confirms this... the Filmation rights are owned by NBCUniversal).  That may be why they not only didn't use the name, but maybe the lawyers eventually made them change the totem/amulet? (And yes, I understand the wider issues with the name 😞 ).

10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

I'm pretty sure that Isis was created for Saturday morning and then made her way to the comics.  I wonder if DC doesn't actually hold the TV/Movie rights to the character, if they stayed with Filmation (I just looked, and Wikipedia confirms this... the Filmation rights are owned by NBCUniversal).  That may be why they not only didn't use the name, but maybe the lawyers eventually made them change the totem/amulet? (And yes, I understand the wider issues with the name 😞 ).

Zari seems to be based off of the comic version of the character, not the TV version (though she did dress like the TV version in “Phone Home”). I think the main reason they don’t use the character name is because of the wider implications (especially since they made the character Muslim) but that’s an interesting point about changing the amulet. But I think they could still do a lot more with the totem that wouldn’t infringe on the copyright of the original TV show.