Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E13: The Pre-Season Test

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

I just think a misspelling could give just enough wiggle room to get out of a contract. Hey, maybe that's what Erica did, actually saw the typo and used it to get out of the whole "I signed a contract" thing. lol

I can just see it. "She had alcohol at a game!" "Yes, but your contract says no alchlohol. She did not have any alchlohol, she had alcohol. (that is a weird ass looking word when you keep writing it over and over. lol)

Seriously, who doesn't make sure every single word is correct, every t is crossed every I is dotted on a legal document? It's a legally binding contract. If anything should be perfect it should be that.

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 2

I dont know Texas law (assuming that the contract has a choice of law provision), but I doubt a typo like that would get her out of the contract, as the word is clearly alcohol, just misspelled. Now a mispelled word or a typo that could change the meaning of the sentence in plain English is a different story. Something like that could cause real problems, which is why proofreading is basic and important.

Even if there are no legal implications from the error, it’s just embarrassing. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I dont know Texas law (assuming that the contract has a choice of law provision), but I doubt a typo like that would get her out of the contract, as the word is clearly alcohol, just misspelled. Now a mispelled word or a typo that could change the meaning of the sentence in plain English is a different story. Something like that could cause real problems, which is why proofreading is basic and important.

Even if there are no legal implications from the error, it’s just embarrassing. 

Stranger things have happened. People have gotten around the law because of grammatical errors (e.g. misuse of a comma). TECHNICALLY, if you have to abide by a contract "by the letter," you can contest whether or not a contract was actually broken.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

Stranger things have happened. People have gotten around the law because of grammatical errors (e.g. misuse of a comma). TECHNICALLY, if you have to abide by a contract "by the letter," you can contest whether or not a contract was actually broken.

Strange things can happen in the law, no doubt. I do litigation now but I did transactional law and used to draft a lot of contracts when I was first out of law school. I found it incredibly nervewrecking bc I was always worried about wording something wrong or leaving out an important clause, but fortunately, most states have laws that state that misspellings and typos will not invalidate contracts or the clear intention of the parties. Now, if the intention or misspelling was unclear, someone like Erica could have a legitimate claim. I just don’t think that would be the case here, but hey, if she wants to file suit, Im here for it. I’ll follow the pleadings closely lol. 

• Love 1
Just now, Jess14 said:

Strange things can happen in the law, no doubt. I do litigation now but I did transactional law and used to draft a lot of contracts when I was first out of law school. I found it incredibly nervewrecking bc I was always worried about wording something wrong or leaving out an important clause, but fortunately, most states have laws that state that misspellings and typos will not invalidate contracts or the clear intention of the parties. Now, if the intention or misspelling was unclear, someone like Erica could have a legitimate claim. I just don’t think that would be the case here, but hey, if she wants to file suit, Im here for it. I’ll follow the pleadings closely lol. 

Oh probably not in this case, but I do know of particular cases that have been affected by grammar because commas and apostrophe's were used incorrectly that altered the desired content of the contract. Thing is, in those cases, it could have went undetected, but they must have had lawyers with SUPER degrees in English lol

1 hour ago, Jess14 said:

bc I was always worried about wording something wrong or leaving out an important clause,

They should have hired you and maybe they wouldn't have been embarrassed on national television. I do hope they are embarrassed. I mean, that is just sad. World Class indeed. More like Wold Class. hahahaha

• Love 2

Speaking of misspelled contracts I read the contract that was posted from one of the NFL cheerleading lawsuits and they told them not to use a 'lufa' when showering.  Hello, it's LOOFAH.  Can't believe that spelled it that way in a legal contract.  It's pretty funny.

1 hour ago, missmansfield said:

Speaking of misspelled contracts I read the contract that was posted from one of the NFL cheerleading lawsuits and they told them not to use a 'lufa' when showering.  Hello, it's LOOFAH.  Can't believe that spelled it that way in a legal contract.  It's pretty funny.

Actually, lufa is an alternate spelling, along with loofa and luffa. 

But now I'm curious. Why not use a loofah while showering?

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, hannahbanana said:

Actually, lufa is an alternate spelling, along with loofa and luffa. 

But now I'm curious. Why not use a loofah while showering?

They say it harbors bacteria.  

I have never seen it legitimately spelled the other ways except on Urban Dictionary.  Oh well, you can't please everyone with what you say.

Edited by missmansfield
Added more
57 minutes ago, missmansfield said:

They say it harbors bacteria.  

I have never seen it legitimately spelled the other ways except on Urban Dictionary.  Oh well, you can't please everyone with what you say.

Oh wow, Loofagate! Controversy over a shower sponge! Too funny.

• Love 2

My husband is a lawyer and does contracts for a living..... he said getting out of a contract due to a spelling error would be pretty difficult. He said you’d also be amazed at how many dumb lawyers there are out there.... he sees poor grammar and misspellings constantly. He chalks it up to lazy shotty legal work. 

So we don’t find the misspelling of alcohol all that surprising. 

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 1

Okay - I'm confused on the details about Erica.  

Did Erica have a beer actually during the Hall of Fame game while in uniform, and that's why she was dismissed from the squad?  Or was it some other time during that weekend at a social event or something?

If these girls go to a party where alcohol is being served, they aren't allowed to have a glass or two over 21?   Why is that big deal as long as they aren't performing/in uniform?  I know you don't want to get falling down drunk, but social drinking should be fine - most workplaces allow that.

It would also seem that if something so outrageous was in fact a rule, Erica would be well aware and know better...unless it's a rule that's never enforced and they decided to enforce it this time cause they were mad at her for other things.

I'm just confused as to what she actually did.   She was one of their strongest vets and had been on the squad for a very long time - dismissing her over drinking a single beer sounds really harsh.  Maybe I don't understand the details though - can someone fill me in?

Edited by MyFavShows
29 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Okay - I'm confused on the details about Erica.  

I'm just confused as to what she actually did.   She was one of their strongest vets and had been on the squad for a very long time - dismissing her over drinking a single beer sounds really harsh.  Maybe I don't understand the details though - can someone fill me in?

The story posted on here is that she was supposed to stay in the locker room during the HOF game because of her injury. Instead, she changed out of her DCC outfit, went into the stands, had a beer, and put a pic/story of her doing it on Snapchat.

So, disobeying direct orders (stay in locker room in DCC clothes), drinking in public at a performance (whether she was performing or not, she was there as a performer), and being dumb enough to post it on snapchat (flaunting the rule breaking).

Plus, it's also been said recently that she wasn't doing her job as group leader (she was originally group leader, not Kashara, despite what they said on the show) and had attitude problems.

Edited by hannahbanana
added last paragraph
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

If these girls go to a party where alcohol is being served, they aren't allowed to have a glass or two over 21?

I think Shelly said that alcohol is served at their parties (at least the Christmas party), so I'd think if they were at a party or went to dinner and had a drink or two that it wouldn't be a big deal. 

1 hour ago, hannahbanana said:

and being dumb enough to post it on snapchat

That's the part that cracks me up. Why do these idiots these days feel the need to put everything they do on social media? Like, who gives a flying fuck that you are drinking a beer? Oh, right your bosses, who told you to stay in the locker room and who now have evidence that you broke the rules. Freaking moron didn't deserve one second of screen time this season, or to have anyone even comment on her idiotic departure. Sad thing is, she probably isn't even embarrassed about being that bloody stupid. At least Holly was caught by other people and wasn't outing herself.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That's the part that cracks me up. Why do these idiots these days feel the need to put everything they do on social media? Like, who gives a flying fuck that you are drinking a beer? Oh, right your bosses, who told you to stay in the locker room and who now have evidence that you broke the rules. Freaking moron didn't deserve one second of screen time this season, or to have anyone even comment on her idiotic departure. Sad thing is, she probably isn't even embarrassed about being that bloody stupid. At least Holly was caught by other people and wasn't outing herself.  

The sad part is she probably doesn't even think any of it is her fault. So what if she's the one who posted pics of herself breaking the rules. It's the bosses fault for looking at her snapchat and taking exception to it. I can see her saying, "But I was just having fun," "I have the right to post whatever I want," etc. Yea, and you also have the right to face the consequences, dumb ass.

Didn't Holly kind of out herself by posting pics of herself and Jenna at an over 21 nightclub known as a players hangout? Not that she was doing anything wrong in the pic itself, but it doesn't help her case. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

The story posted on here is that she was supposed to stay in the locker room during the HOF game because of her injury. Instead, she changed out of her DCC outfit, went into the stands, had a beer, and put a pic/story of her doing it on Snapchat.

So, disobeying direct orders (stay in locker room in DCC clothes), drinking in public at a performance (whether she was performing or not, she was there as a performer), and being dumb enough to post it on snapchat (flaunting the rule breaking).

Plus, it's also been said recently that she wasn't doing her job as group leader (she was originally group leader, not Kashara, despite what they said on the show) and had attitude problems.

Thank you.   Interesting.   I'm sure there are two sides to the whole story though and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some who think she was unjustly terminated.  Maybe she misunderstood that she was supposed to stay in the locker room?

Gotta wonder who complained about her not doing the group leader duties too - wonder if it was Kashara? ;)...   And couldn't her injury be the reason she was slacking?

Erika did seem kind of annoyed about the further away location of the Star in that one video ;) - maybe she started to develop an attitude about that and their rules in general.

1 hour ago, hannahbanana said:

The sad part is she probably doesn't even think any of it is her fault. So what if she's the one who posted pics of herself breaking the rules. It's the bosses fault for looking at her snapchat and taking exception to it. I can see her saying, "But I was just having fun," "I have the right to post whatever I want," etc. Yea, and you also have the right to face the consequences, dumb ass.

Didn't Holly kind of out herself by posting pics of herself and Jenna at an over 21 nightclub known as a players hangout? Not that she was doing anything wrong in the pic itself, but it doesn't help her case. 

No, Holly didn't post a pic of herself in that nightclub.  She posted a pic of herself and Jenna right before going into a Kendrick Lamar concert, but that WAS the same night she and Jenna went to the over 21 club and were spotted by a K & J spy.

2 hours ago, hannahbanana said:

Yea, and you also have the right to face the consequences, dumb ass.

Exactly, since Kelli had the right to fire her ass.

1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

Maybe she misunderstood that she was supposed to stay in the locker room?

LOL I can almost hear the excuse now..."But you told me to stay in the locker room in my uniform, I changed into street clothes!  I also was NOT drinking alochol, as is specified in the contract!"

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 1

Hey there, I am so late to post about this last episode..... but I did want to say I loved this season since they showed so much more dancing than before.   They really put a lot of things in the last episode too.   The only thing I didn't like was the focus seemed to be on rookie Lauren a lot (this episode).  I would have liked to see more of Alexis or the other rookies we barely saw.    

I did not know about Alexandria either.  Good thing I checked back in here.  That is really odd, right in the middle of the football season too.  That is too bad.

Alright, until next years show - Goodnight and goodbye.

5 hours ago, Kiki88 said:

Probably in the minority here but good riddance Erica . Always thought she was a phony. 

I just never thought she was nearly as good as some people think, and looking at that huge face plastered on the wall, I don't think she's nearly as photogenic as some people say.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:11 PM, tinabee1967 said:

A good majority of the girls do not look good in those head shots. I noticed that right off. Poor Elizabeth looks like Pinocchio.

Pinocchio!! I am dying!!!  Thanks for giving me the heartiest laugh I have had in a long time.

Edited by missmansfield
Misspelled
  • Love 1

Help. I'm confused.

In the penultimate episode, after cutting Taryn, hey finished on 37, sending 3 of the girls away on a sort of 'one more chance' situation.

Yet, in this episode, they didn't cut anyone and announced that all those in the triangle were on the squad.

Thought they were going for 36, not 37, even though I know that the season before, they went with 37.

What did I get wrong?

Is that where the Erica firing came into it. I wan't aware of that. Maybe it was edited out on the ITV Be episodes here in the UK that I'm watching? 

5 hours ago, tennisman said:

Help. I'm confused.

In the penultimate episode, after cutting Taryn, hey finished on 37, sending 3 of the girls away on a sort of 'one more chance' situation.

Yet, in this episode, they didn't cut anyone and announced that all those in the triangle were on the squad.

Thought they were going for 36, not 37, even though I know that the season before, they went with 37.

What did I get wrong?

Is that where the Erica firing came into it. I wan't aware of that. Maybe it was edited out on the ITV Be episodes here in the UK that I'm watching? 

They didn't show her getting fired.  They had just had all the drama with Jenna/Holly so didn't air it.  But yes, her being released makes it 36

https://making-the-team.fandom.com/wiki/Season_12#12.13_.E2.80.93_.E2.80.9CThe_Pre_Season_Test.E2.80.9D

Edited by scorpio1031
12 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

They didn't show her getting fired.  They had just had all the drama with Jenna/Holly so didn't air it.  But yes, her being released makes it 36

https://making-the-team.fandom.com/wiki/Season_12#12.13_.E2.80.93_.E2.80.9CThe_Pre_Season_Test.E2.80.9D

Thanks Scorpio but I'm afraid I'm still a bit muddled. Bear with me.

I know Holly left but I thought her departure was included in the 37 number.

I've picked up that Erica left too and from what others have said, and my own viewing of the episodes, I don't think her departure was shown. But depending when that took place, I was still under the impression that 2 days before K and J announced the squad, they were on 37.

Hence the jeopardy involved in those final 3 interviews when the participants felt they had been given a reprieve.

I'm not questioning that it all happened as reported, I'm just not clear on the chronology and was expecting one of the 3 from the previous episode to go when in fact, none of them did and they all made the team. Maybe they got rid of Erica over that last couple of days?

Not sure of the schedule here on the ITV Be channel I have been watching the show on but if next Monday goes to plan, they should be starting it all again with season 13!

As with most template reality shows, after a while, you feel like you could write the script. It may be the case as I get going on S13, I'll be talking to the TV as if I'm J or K - ''You gotta empty your bucket on this one, y'all.''

PS Don't know if you spotted my first post on one of the previous episodes but in 1992 on my travels when I went to Texas stadium to see a Cowboys / Rams game, the half time show was a celebration of the DCC since their inception back in the late 60's. The field was COVERED in DCC of all ages and by now, for some, all shapes and sizes! 

Edited by tennisman
spelling mistake
4 hours ago, tennisman said:

Maybe they got rid of Erica over that last couple of days?

I'm pretty sure she was cut right after than Canton HOF game.

4 hours ago, tennisman said:

You gotta empty your bucket on this one, y'all.

OMG that was the worst!!

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

OMG that was the worst!!

Hi ByTor, Yes, I reckon she would have been cut after the transgression and if so, the 37 number they kept talking about may even have been 38 at that time, as they cut Taryn to take it to 37 and that was the number they were talking about when those final 3 interviews took place (Krystina, Savannah and Keira???).

That meant when we went into this last episode, I was expecting one more cut.

Then K and J line them up and tell them they have made the team. So that's a squad of 37, isn't it? If so, that's not a problem but they told Taryn that the target number was 36 and that was why she was cut.

Of course, they can end up with whatever number they want. I assume that with 4 teams of 8 on gameday (or is it 4 teams of 7), they will still need people in reserve for injuries or substitutions if people get tired or overheated.

PS I am still amazed at how many steps / moves they learn. Dancing for the best part of 4 hours is a huge amount, especially where, in most of the routines, it looks like they are making a move of some sort pretty much every second.  

6 minutes ago, tennisman said:

Then K and J line them up and tell them they have made the team. So that's a squad of 37, isn't it? If so, that's not a problem but they told Taryn that the target number was 36 and that was why she was cut.

Does this help?  

image.png.4c327c3a408e594a00e89b6beabb0b38.png

1 hour ago, ByTor said:

OMG that was the worst!!

PPS I think I may have worked it out.

When Taryn was cut, she said, 'Last year, they took 37. Wish they could take 37 again.'

That says that with her exit, the number became 36 and the further discussion and interviews about the other 3 were with the question as to if they should go even smaller, down towards 32 which they had done before.

That would explain why no more cuts in the last episode and a squad of 36......I think......

3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Does this help?  

image.png.4c327c3a408e594a00e89b6beabb0b38.png

Thanks. It fits with the post I have literally, just put on, assuming that 36 was the final number 🙂 

1 minute ago, tennisman said:

the further discussion and interviews about the other 3 were with the question as to if they should go even smaller, down towards 32 which they had done before.

Yep, I'm almost positive you're correct (saying "almost" because this is one season I tend to not rewatch, I didn't find this to be a very likable rookie class).

1 minute ago, ByTor said:

Yep, I'm almost positive you're correct (saying "almost" because this is one season I tend to not rewatch, I didn't find this to be a very likable rookie class).

Thanks again.

I'm always interested in people's motivations and with these 'ladies' as K calls them, these must be varied including the prestige, the fun of the experience, and a stepping stone to other things, including media (Melissa), modelling, entertainment industry etc. Some, as noted become stay at home mums or moms, as you call them in the US 🙂 

As debated and noted, they don't do it for the pay, well not the immediate pay, which despite increases after that court case, is still not huge.

I noticed Kalyssa left half way through the season. Doing a google search sees her doing modelling which, if she is successful, will pay her very well.

Also, I spotted that Keira is now a real estate broker so I'll keep my eye out for her on Million Dollar Listing, the show which is on just before DCC on the UK channel I watch it all on!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

IMO Keyra went into a good field.  Kelli always described her as a "firecracker," I think that kind of enthusiastic personality type can do very well in real estate.

Great facial expressions. Not afraid to break out a bit from the 'Yes ma'am', deferential, kowtowing, even somewhat fearful way of speaking.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, tennisman said:

Great facial expressions. Not afraid to break out a bit from the 'Yes ma'am', deferential, kowtowing, even somewhat fearful way of speaking.

Hmmm, I wonder why she only lasted one year 🤣

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Hmmm, I wonder why she only lasted one year 🤣

Again, there must be so many reasons why veterans return or don't or even get cut if they do. 

Maybe, for some, one season (or in Kalyssa's case, half a season) is enough. It is probably an amazing experience but also an intense one where you have to be on the clock and toe the line (had to look up toe v tow!). 

Some state that they have medium or long term career goals (one was going to medical school), others might get job offers, others want to start a family etc. 

For some, that rookie season might be the top of the mountain as far as achievement and to stay up there, they might just not have the drive to keep going through it all again.

• Love 1