Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E08: Week 7: Halloween Night

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, McManda said:

I was under the impression that they were going to have new, age appropriate pros for the kids season. Is that not true? (I still hate the idea of a kids season, tbh.)

I suspect there will be age appropriate pros for the kids themselves when it comes time to dance, but it's still a lot of pressure to put on young kid pros.  I imagine they won't be bearing the full weight of what our adult pros do- choreograph, mentor, etc.  Not that all of our pros do their own choreography now, but you get my point.   If I had to guess I think you will see some older adult pros mentor the kids couples.  Maybe choreograph for them etc., help teach.  I don't think the show is going to put all that pressure on say a 12-13 year old ballroomer.

So basically what doLLish said but she beat me to the punch.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see some familiar adult pros mentoring on the kids version.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, alexa said:

I really liked the Monster Mash dance.  I kind of liked all of the different things going on at once and quickly.  But I was glad the other team won just because everyone expects Mark or Derek's team to win each year.  I like Mark this year, but I am a fan of underdogs having their chance for a win. 

You know, though, it feels like for the last several seasons all the hype about Derek or Mark's team being a shoo-in to win the group dance has been exactly why the "underdog" team can be almost guaranteed to win. Mark's team lost in seasons 19, 21 (which he shared with Derek), and 22, and in season 20 Mark and Derek's team tied with the other team. Derek's team lost in season 23. It's more like lately when you see one team that's going to be called a sure thing by fans, you can just assume victory for the opponent.

I don't think Team Monster Mash deserved 10s, but they deserved better than 24 for degree of difficulty and creativity of concept; execution should knock them down a few points but I'd stick some 9s in there. But they wanted that 6-point gap -- Team Phantom's score, and the judging comments, seemed predetermined. When you craft a dance that simplistic and still manage not to nail the one thing it requires in synchronization, you don't rationally pick up perfect 10s and gushing about the greatest team dance in show history and the amazing elegance and polish. My preference has typically been with the dances that play up the individuality of each couple rather than the one-for-all approach, but at least when the latter style has won, it's generally been executed more tightly (and sync has been used in ways easiest for weaker dancers to pull off -- very simple arm and leg movements). This was absurd, and now it's left us with absurd leaderboard positions that at best mean Terrell goes home next week and at worst means Lindsey's in actual trouble.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

George Pennachio is the reporter for ABC in LA who's been covering the show for years.

There's no way the elimination was last minute or unknown to anyone involved with the show because George basically announced last week on Twitter there would be a double elimination this week. Frankie also hinted at it in one of his interviews. 

Why would there be jazz movement in a contemporary routine? Isn't flailing what contemporary is all about?

There was nothing in that so called dance to discern what the hell it was.

14 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

How would George know ?

Yup

I like Frankie, Jordan can go home.

Frankie the fraud, take him please. 

6 hours ago, vibeology said:

lWitney choreographed around his worst tendencies and created something memorable and freaky.

Frankie is creepy in real life, on stage he's just a joke. Oh and don't forget, Frankie choreographed that slop. 

Edited by Andie1

The trio's for next week are as follows:

Spoiler

Drew/Emma/Rashad Jennings
Jordan/Lindsay/Corbin Bleu
Victoria/Val/Laurie Henandez
Frankie/Witney/Alfonso Ribeiro
Lindsey/Mark/Kristi Yamaguchi
Terrell/Cheryl/Kelly Monaco

• Love 2

Well, Maks got his wish and was eliminated. I'm so over him and his drama, and I think the show is as well. Haven't heard a peep from him in the past couple of weeks. No "farewell" on the show, and hopefully he can be his son's caregiver while Peta does the show in the spring.

Did anyone watch GMA to see if Maks and Vanessa appeared? They usually do a 'morning after' interview with the couple(s) who get eliminated, right? I imagine that would have to be a really uncomfortable interview (or a really fake cheery one), with those two.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, bealled said:

Honestly I don't think any dance stood out greatly to me this week. I am just finding this season rather boring. Also the only memorable contestants are Frankie, Jordan, and Lindsey. After Frankie danced, I thought he was the last one to go but then they announced Drew. It seems every weeks I am forgetting one of the other dancers.

I agree completely!!!  I wait for their dances.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Who did he play? Was he a regular?

Season 3, Episode 10 of Criminal Minds. The episode is called "True Night". He was a one-off character but it was interesting episode. Without spoiling the plot, I thought the character he played was quite good and a departure from what he normally did. The costuming reminded me of the episode but the characters were wildly different to me. His character on Criminal Minds had more sympathy to it. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Season 3, Episode 10 of Criminal Minds. The episode is called "True Night". He was a one-off character but it was interesting episode. Without spoiling the plot, I thought the character he played was quite good and a departure from what he normally did. The costuming reminded me of the episode but the characters were wildly different to me. His character on Criminal Minds had more sympathy to it. 

Thanks, I will look up the episode!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

He didn't leave much to question about that did he?  He was smiling...almost giddy.  Took him an uncomfortably awkward amount of time before he even came back to his partner to "console" her.  He's an ass.  

I certainly understand your comment about Maks.  I just watched that again. I have to say I’m on his side on this one. She really rubbed me the wrong way and I was just watching it. I can’t imagine spending hours every day with her. I look at it this way. At least he’s not a fake. He did his job to fulfill his contract with the show.  He has to treat her nicely but he doesn’t have to act is though he likes her. I respect the fact that he wasn’t a hypocrite.

Another person on this forum commented that Maks seemed off the season.  I thought Peta did as well.  She always showed so much personality and, this season, she was flat.  She was not her usual exuberant self.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Kid said:

I certainly understand your comment about Maks.  I just watched that again. I have to say I’m on his side on this one. She really rubbed me the wrong way and I was just watching it. I can’t imagine spending hours every day with her. I look at it this way. At least he’s not a fake. He did his job to fulfill his contract with the show.  He has to treat her nicely but he doesn’t have to act is though he likes her. I respect the fact that he wasn’t a hypocrite.

Another person on this forum commented that Maks seemed off the season.  I thought Peta did as well.  She always showed so much personality and, this season, she was flat.  She was not her usual exuberant self.

Yes, I am with Maks, too.   My guess is both he and Peta are exhausted having a new baby on top of a grueling schedule.  Their focus has changed as happens with all new parents.   I bet they will never be on the same season again.  I assume they are going to stick with it because the money is good.  

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, wings707 said:

My guess is both he and Peta are exhausted having a new baby on top of a grueling schedule.  Their focus has changed as happens with all new parents.   I bet they will never be on the same season again.  I assume they are going to stick with it because the money is good.  

And you notice, neither one of them spent the season whining about it.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, I am with Maks, too.   My guess is both he and Peta are exhausted having a new baby on top of a grueling schedule.  Their focus has changed as happens with all new parents.   I bet they will never be on the same season again.  I assume they are going to stick with it because the money is good.  

So he can't suck it up, and he's being paid! Nice job, diva like behavior.

My guess is both he and Peta are exhausted having a new baby on top of a grueling schedule.  Their focus has changed as happens with all new parents.   I bet they will never be on the same season again.  I assume they are going to stick with it because the money is good.  

They have a nanny.( eye roll) 

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, I am with Maks, too.   My guess is both he and Peta are exhausted having a new baby on top of a grueling schedule.  Their focus has changed as happens with all new parents.   I bet they will never be on the same season again. 

You mean like they were this season after both just having been on the last season? And this after they got so much criticism for some for both coming back literally six weeks after their baby was born that they addressed it in a media interview. Maks ain't going nowhere and neither is Peta. 

• Love 3
Just now, truthaboutluv said:

You mean like they were this season after both just having been on the last season? And this after they got so much criticism for some for both coming back literally six weeks after their baby was born that they addressed it in a media interview. Maks ain't going nowhere and neither is Peta. 

Yes, that is what I said but maybe not on the same season now that they have a child.  

2 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, that is what I said but maybe not on the same season now that they have a child.  

But they just both did back to back seasons with them both competing. If they did it when their baby was that young, to where Peta had to leave rehearsals to go home and breast feed, what would make next season so different?

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

But they just both did back to back seasons with them both competing. If they did it when their baby was that young, to where Peta had to leave rehearsals to go home and breast feed, what would make next season so different?

I thought this was their first season with the baby.  Forget what I said.  Of course they have a nanny.  

2 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Did anyone watch GMA to see if Maks and Vanessa appeared? They usually do a 'morning after' interview with the couple(s) who get eliminated, right? I imagine that would have to be a really uncomfortable interview (or a really fake cheery one), with those two.

Tom and Erin said they'll be on tomorrow, I assume because of the GMA Halloween show this morning.

1 hour ago, Kid said:

I certainly understand your comment about Maks.  I just watched that again. I have to say I’m on his side on this one. She really rubbed me the wrong way and I was just watching it. I can’t imagine spending hours every day with her.

Surprisingly I'm with Maks on this one too. Vanessa is the one who turned to Nikki both when they were eliminated and when Erin brought them down on stage. Not only did she blow off Maks but she also blew off Tom and Erin. 

58 minutes ago, wings707 said:

As long as there is a TV camera televising the show that's willing to put Maks and Peta on, they'll both be back.

Besides they have a nanny to do all the work so they can roll him out on his little tricycle stroller when they're in need of some attention.

• Love 2

There are a few criticisms in this thread of the Dia de los Muertos theme for Mark and Lindsey, and I want to ask (and this will sound like I'm being a smart-ass, but I swear I'm not trying to be, for once, haha), would it only be okay to do that theme if the dancer and pro were both Mexican? Because I personally don't think that particular theme qualifies as "cultural appropriation," since it's not like they're in blackface or something equally, indisputably offensive. Obviously YMMV so I am curious what people think :)

I think dance is always integrating culture-specific dance and costuming into its vocabulary.  We don't see it as much on DWTS, which is more focused on traditional styles, but between DWTS and shows like So You Think You Can Dance we see Bollywood, with dancers in Indian costume, African jazz, with dancers in (some semblance of) appropriate costuming, Flamenco, with dancers in Spanish costume, we see white dancers doing hip hop, crumping, etc.  I don't see why the Dia de Los Muertos would stand out as inappropriate.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I think dance is always integrating culture-specific dance and costuming into its vocabulary.  We don't see it as much on DWTS, which is more focused on traditional styles, but between DWTS and shows like So You Think You Can Dance we see Bollywood, with dancers in Indian costume, African jazz, with dancers in (some semblance of) appropriate costuming, Flamenco, with dancers in Spanish costume, we see white dancers doing hip hop, crumping, etc.  I don't see why the Dia de Los Muertos would stand out as inappropriate.

I'm not going to specifically speak to the Dia de Los Muertos question, though yes, there are people that think that these costumes should only be worn by people of Mexican descent that celebrate that holiday.  However I'm not going to hold up SYTYCD as the ultimate arbiter in taste.  There is cultural appropriation happening all over that show. You don't generally get a pass to dress up in costumes of other cultures in the name of art.  Putting a bunch of white kids in African garb and then calling it African jazz isn't particularly effective.  Nor is sticking a bunch of bindis on people for a Bollywood (you can do Bollywood sans bindis).  Or this past season I remember a bunch of the all-stars running around in vague Native American gear while they jumped around and hooted and hollered.  There is a very fine line between trying out new dance styles in a respectful way and appropriating outfits/symbols that have meaning to other cultures in a way that is exploitive and gross.  Especially since in most cases the dancers themselves are too young and naive and sometimes sheltered to really understand the significance of the symbols they are wearing.

I like Mark now, but I will never forget Mark Ballas doing an African jazz on DWTS with Aly Raisman and sounding ridiculously naive and sheltered when talking about it in interviews, with clearly not a clue what he was doing.  I remember him referring to monkey sounds and calling it animalistic and etc.  One way to not have people on board is to have people with no cultural understanding of these styles and no background in these styles to be choreographing such dances.  

On the Maks/Peta topic, I do not feel bad for them, or at least not Maks.  First, while Maks might be a very involved father now I remember some interview when Shai was first born where he implied that he wasn't losing any sleep with the kid because Peta was the one doing all the heavy lifting in the middle of the night and etc.  Second, Maks has a job that pays him handsomely for working at most 24 hours a year.  It may be a 24/7 job in the 12 weeks at a time it happens, but he has the rest of the year to do whatever he wants. Suck it up for 12 weeks or find a new job.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 8

They both hated each other simple as that. Blame them both. Vanessa’s personality turned me off from week one and Maks’ unprofessionalism was disgraceful. The producers need to take a look at themselves after his behaviour this season and stop letting him back on the show under some deluded assumption that he brings extra ratings. He doesn’t and he doesn’t care even a quarter about the show like he used to until he finally won it. The sole reason he keeps sneaking his way back in is for the paycheck and publicity. Babies aren’t cheap. At least Peta puts 100% in and cares about whoever she gets and their journey on the show. She can come back, Maks needs to be fired and turned into a full time nanny while Peta earns the dwts pro paycheck. If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, I strongly advise you to go and watch the elimination again online. The difference in Artem’s and Maks’ reactions say it all. One pro looked like he was going to cry and was absolutely gutted while the other pro looked like he couldn’t give a damn and laughed it off. Says it all really.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Love 12
44 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

The producers need to take a look at themselves after his behaviour this season and stop letting him back on the show under some deluded assumption that he brings extra ratings. He doesnt

Perfect.

He needs to move on and go far away.  I have disliked him from the first season he was on. He's an ass.

And, maybe after all the crap Vanessa put up with she finally didn't have to fake it after she was eliminated. I would have turned away from him also.

40 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

40 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

And possibly kicked him.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 4

I don't doubt Vanessa was difficult to put up with. However, Maks was paid to teach her and get her as far as she could get. How many difficult partners have Tony and Keo put up with, and always with a smile? No way we're Barbara Corcoran and Kate Gosselin better than Vanessa!

• Love 11

Thoughts on contestants for week 7 (in alphabetical order):

Frankie & Witney - thought it chilling to watch Frankie's telekinetic hold over Witney's movements and thoughts; seemed as if he was fascinated by and enjoyed the sinister character. With the lights dim, liked how he seemingly appeared in her mind - the panic in Witney's wailing legs, the desperate punch, Witney's push back, the chaotic violence as Frankie pushed aside the lamp and tossed the table. Seemed like living a nightmare within a nightmare, and towards the end, felt a bit trapped inside of Witney's mind as she struggled to grasp a sense of reality; with the lamp and table neatly back in place, was she imaging things or did the paranoia really take place.

Jordan & Lindsay - thought the use of the troupe gave Jordan an even more stronger, powerful image as he moved around the floor; liked the attitude and thought the attack was there. Nice to see Jordan showing a different side to his personality and how invested in the moves he was; maybe because he was too invested, thought there were rare moments where he got a bit carried away with the character and lost a hair of artistry (but nothing to detract from the strong performance). Thought his chest could inflate/open up at key moments but that he managed to convey through the correct aggression. Like the use of the red skirt throughout, but wished it could've remained towards the end to keep the paso doble flavor intact. Nonetheless, thought it was a dramatic routine and look forward to their upcoming dances.

Lindsey & Mark - the paso doble seemed a bit unusual, but thought there were elements in the routine that made the creative concept work. Thought Lindsey enjoyed the knee walks and that she carried out the twist turns well. For somone with long arms, thought she shaped them well, keeping them disciplined in the paso doble, and that for the most part, it didn't detract from the performance. Felt for her everytime she raised her arms to shape her torso, and hope the pain becomes manageable for next week. Skirtwork looked nice (maybe a bit more volume) and thought she could've shaped the Spanish line at the end with a bit more refinement. But liked the fitting end to the routine and hope for the best with her recovery.

----------------------------------/

---------- & ----------

----------------------------------/

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 3

Does Halloween mean Hyperbole to these folks? WTF was that?

Carrie-Ann thinks Frankie "elevated the world of dance" or some shit? I can't recall her exact words because my ears were burning. And 3 10s? WTF?!!

And that Phantom of the Opera group dance was "the best" team dance ever and "the most polished ever??" WTF!!!!

Meanwhile, when it came to Lindsay, they downplayed her dances and grossly exaggerated the supposed effects of her rib injury on her performance. I call BULLSHIT!

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Andie1 said:

That entire dance if you want to call it that was terrible in every sense of the word. There was little if any real jazz movement, it was flailing not dancing.  The lifts were poor to non existent again, the jump off the couch was odd and did not go anywhere.  The acting was dumb, and I laughed at the camera angles,  Saturday Night Live does creepy better than Frankie Muniz.  But hey he had a perfect night,  stiff dancing so what!  He is a choreographer now

First of all, it was a contemporary dance, and second of all--why are you so bitter? Frankie is entertaining and is doing well for a complete non-dancer. And what is your obsession with lifts? Not everyone is capable of doing them.

23 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Oh, my  they used the song as a creepy stalker song lets give them a cookie.

It IS a creepy stalker song, Sting has said that it is, and he can't believe that people use it at weddings.

• Love 19

Imagine one of the male celebrities trying to marry off his single pro partner by having the camera zoom into her bare body parts so all the male viewers can get a closer look. That's what Nikki did with Artem, so I guess it would be fine.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, marykat71702 said:

First of all, it was a contemporary dance, and second of all--why are you so bitter? Frankie is entertaining and is doing well for a complete non-dancer. And what is your obsession with lifts? Not everyone is capable of doing them.

It IS a creepy stalker song, Sting has said that it is, and he can't believe that people use it at weddings.

I do love me some Frankie! :)

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Andie1 said:

Frankie the fraud, take him please. 

Did Frankie refuse to give you an autograph or something? Your hatred of him seems really over the top. I've disliked dancers on this show before but not to such a personal level to call them a creep in real life. And how is he a fraud?

Frankie is creepy in real life, on stage he's just a joke. Oh and don't forget, Frankie choreographed that slop. 

Your slop is plenty of other people's amazing dance, so accusing him of choreographing the dance is not the insult you think it is. Also, he gave his input on the dance and helped. He did not choreograph the entire dance. Celebs are allowed to make their suggestions and contribute.

• Love 24

Frankie the fraud

Frankie is creepy in real life

Do you know him personally?

22 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Your slop is plenty of other people's amazing dance, so accusing him of choreographing the dance is not the insult you think it is. Also, he gave his input on the dance and helped. He did not choreograph the entire dance. Celebs are allowed to make their suggestions and contribute.

It turned out well.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DancinCat said:

Imagine one of the male celebrities trying to marry off his single pro partner by having the camera zoom into her bare body parts so all the male viewers can get a closer look. That's what Nikki did with Artem, so I guess it would be fine.

Yeah but if both parties are fine with it, I don't see the problem. Sex sells. Nikki Bella would be no stranger to it with her WWE career (as family friendly as they've made it, they still want to sell the sex for the male viewers over the age of 12) and Artem has never complained about the segments they've done on his body. Which is fantastic. And is made for licking chocolate sauce off of it. 

Now, if one or both of them came out and complained about the over sexualization of that segment, my answer would be different. Not the chocolate sauce part, that would still be true, but the rest of it would be different.

The best part about that whole segment was how blasé Nikki was about the shirtless Artem experience. Complimentary? Sure. But very been there, done that. Considering she's engaged to John Cena, I don't blame her. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 9

I thought that segment was funny. Nikki has some pretty crazy fans being from WWE and I’m pretty sure her and Artem will have been subjected to cheating allegations by such crazy fans what with her being naturally flirtatious and touchy feely (in an innocent way). That segment obviously will have shut all of them up. As for Artem he’s been treated like that since he joined the show and I bet it’s even worse when he goes on tour so he must be happy to roll with it especially if it builds him a fanbase (worked with me!). If you want an example of where such behaviour crosses the line when the male pro becomes uncomfortable, go and watch Barbara and Keo.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, NeverLate said:

I do love me some Frankie! :)

I adore Frankie.  His enthusiasm and hard work and sheer entertainment has made this season of DWTS so much fun.  He's the kind of contestant I feel the show should feature (though I know this is hard to find).  I'm thrilled he had a good week.   

• Love 9
13 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

There are a few criticisms in this thread of the Dia de los Muertos theme for Mark and Lindsey, and I want to ask (and this will sound like I'm being a smart-ass, but I swear I'm not trying to be, for once, haha), would it only be okay to do that theme if the dancer and pro were both Mexican? Because I personally don't think that particular theme qualifies as "cultural appropriation," since it's not like they're in blackface or something equally, indisputably offensive. Obviously YMMV so I am curious what people think :)

7 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

7 hours ago, spanana said:

I'm not going to specifically speak to the Dia de Los Muertos question, though yes, there are people that think that these costumes should only be worn by people of Mexican descent that celebrate that holiday.  However I'm not going to hold up SYTYCD as the ultimate arbiter in taste.  There is cultural appropriation happening all over that show. You don't generally get a pass to dress up in costumes of other cultures in the name of art.  Putting a bunch of white kids in African garb and then calling it African jazz isn't particularly effective.  Nor is sticking a bunch of bindis on people for a Bollywood (you can do Bollywood sans bindis).  Or this past season I remember a bunch of the all-stars running around in vague Native American gear while they jumped around and hooted and hollered.  There is a very fine line between trying out new dance styles in a respectful way and appropriating outfits/symbols that have meaning to other cultures in a way that is exploitive and gross.  Especially since in most cases the dancers themselves are too young and naive and sometimes sheltered to really understand the significance of the symbols they are wearing.

I like Mark now, but I will never forget Mark Ballas doing an African jazz on DWTS with Aly Raisman and sounding ridiculously naive and sheltered when talking about it in interviews, with clearly not a clue what he was doing.  I remember him referring to monkey sounds and calling it animalistic and etc.  One way to not have people on board is to have people with no cultural understanding of these styles and no background in these styles to be choreographing such dances. 

My main issue is that culture should not be considered a fun costume.

Another problem I had with it is that this week was supposed to be Halloween themed and Día de los Muertos is NOT Mexican Halloween or part of Halloween.

The third problem is the face painting and costumes without any context. Día de los Muertos is about honoring your deceased family members and friends. This is when you go to the cemetery to clean their graves, leave offerings to those have died, and tell stories about them. If you don't have a ritual like this in your culture that's about respecting and remembering your ancestors, it may be difficult to understand why it's offensive to see symbols of that ritual (like the sugar skulls) being used as just a decorative costume by other people. There are lots of articles that explain the history and meaning of the holiday and why it's not really cool to use the sugar skulls as a costume (the ones linked were just the first one I found when I googled).

Heh, and I agree that SYTYCD is not exactly the standard for good taste in terms of cultural appropriation.

• Love 6

Nikki wassnt my favorite because she was pretty stiff as a dancer, but her packages made me think she's pretty genuine. I have no experience with wwe or whatever else she's on (reality?), but she seemed earnest and sincere behind the scenes. It was partnership between she and Artem. I wasn't rooting for the TWO of them like I've done for some pairs. 

Well, I really like Jordan. I've had since week 2, and memorable week with his adoption cemented it. He's fun to watch dance. But ugh, I've totally seen a bit of "smooth-talking-trying-to-be-humble-but-really-kinda-slimy" person. He acts really hard to be humble. His adoption storyline made me believe it, but he's not playing well now, imo.

In addition, I hate the Pro Lindsay's costume choices. I've mentioned it before, but Witney styles herself way better than Lindsay. How does that sweet girl Lindsay who married her childhood sweetheart choose such, um, skimpy clothes? Thigh highs? Tiny skirt? Yikes. I usually dislike Lindsay's costumes. Those white boots were not good. 

Hoping for Frankie, Jordan, and Lindsey for finale. Poor Linsey and that injury. I winced as I watched her dance. Cool dance, though. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Even over Terrell and Drew?  Ohhhhhhhh, no.  Not a chance.

For whatever reason, I think Vanessa reached a plateau with her dancing,...and IMO was not going to improve.  Whether it was because Maks choreo was repetitive -- dance with troupe a lot, minimum with partner -- or whether she wasn't capable - we'll never know.

IMO Nikki had improved the first few weeks, then also seemed to reach a point where she stopped. I liked her....but felt there was something keeping her from just simply dancing, letting her body move with the music, etc.

Drew seems eager to learn, and has shown some skill...I think he can still step it up to reach another level.  (He does look really awkward even now, I'll admit, though.)  TO is really learning to dance -- and apparently has made a great connection to Cheryl, as a teacher.

I love Frankie's enthusiasm and acting skills...but he is an erratic dancer.  Some weeks I think he's broken through, then makes a lot of mistakes.  The Halloween "story" was clever...and once again, he nailed the acting.  However, there really wasn't a whole lot of dancing involved.

• Love 2

Vanessa was a good dancer, whose talent did not need the female troupe dancers , especially Maks' future sister in law who tries to suck up all the oxygen in the room. The home improvement guy reminds me of David Ross from last season. He's not the best dancer but keeps advancing because of his fan base. That brings me to Nikki Bella who was an excellent dancer but should have stayed over home improvement. I love Victoria's inspirational story, and it seems as though Val will have the trophy handed to him this season as an apology for last season. Speaking of Val, I cannot believe that he was getting frustrated with someone who has no feelings in her legs, then had the audacity to whine that this is the first time in a while that he has a none dancer. I like Val but he needs to get over it.

• Love 3

I saw nothing wrong with Mark's dance at all.  In fact, it was the most impressive of the night, even though the judges don't agree.  Once again, Jordan and Lindsey stole the show.  I would put Frankie 3rd, followed by TO, Drew and Victoria.  

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, spunky said:

Vanessa was a good dancer, whose talent did not need the female troupe dancers , especially Maks' future sister in law who tries to suck up all the oxygen in the room.

Who is Maks' future sister in law? 

I just looked it up and Jenna Johnson doesn't ring a bell at all!  I am not an avid fan of the show but I do watch it.  Oh, is she part of the troupe?  I don't know them at all. 

• Love 1

Frankie's dance was creeeeeepy! I normally hate contemporary with a passion, but I was drawn in so quickly, I forgot to hate it. I had a mentally ill stalker for a short time, and found the whole thing uncomfortable. But it certainly wasn't boring! 

Val is really bugging me this season. The way he talks to and works with Victoria is just off. I can't really point to anything specific, but the feminist-ableist-whateverist in me is pinging. It started with the swim-off a few weeks ago, although I gave that a pass at the time because I assumed it was some dumb producer-driven set up to create a package. But the condescending tone has continued. He usually reaches a point every season where his desire to win sucks all the fun out of it for the celebrity, and then he has to apologize and make it fun again. And it kind of seemed like that, only he doesn't expect to actually win with Victoria and he's condescending as a result, and also not trying to make it fun. (Watch, next week will be the apology and the fun-again dance.)

• Love 6