Type keyword(s) to search

Cooking Shows: What's Cooking?

• Start Topic

I forgot to mention, those sticks of butter looked a lot larger than usual; more like professional kitchen-sized portions.

Does anybody know who her husband is?

Edited by grisgris

The sticks of butter looked fatter, but shorter, than normal. I thought for a second they were the half sticks you can buy, but I went and looked up the recipe, 1 and 1/2 cups of cream, 3 sticks of butter, 2 pounds of potatoes, 4 servings. I just can't even imagine how they would taste like potatoes. Might as well just serve sticks of butter and save yourself the added fat of the cream. So is Daphne's schtick how shitty of cooks her friends and family are? I'm really not liking her or her personality. 

I missed this episode again today on the rerun, but that amount of butter and cream in mashed potatoes is just excessive to me now. A long time ago I was was cooking for a family member who was recovering from heart bypass surgery and every thing needed to be lowfat, low salt. So I started making mashed potatoes with Yukon Golds (they have a rich flavor of their own) and olive oil and chicken stock. I got so used to this that I don't really enjoy the heavy dairy versions anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I caught up with the season premiere of "Extra Virgin" this evening. Loved the tour of Zac Posen's studio. Guilana (sp?) was having so much fun! Where is the other daughter? I was picking up during the last season or so, that she was so "over with" being on the show. Ah, the joys of teenage-hood.

I was surprised to see Debi. She admitted that she's put on some weight,, but it seemed to be all in her face. She looks very puffy, not really like it's from weight gain. I hope she's OK. No matter what, I think she's a very striking woman and I just love her and Gabriele.

• Love 2

Thought this might be interesting for Eric Ripert fans.

New Episodes Begin Airing Saturday, February 28 at 9:30 a.m. ET/6:30 a.m. PT

NEW YORK - Emmy® and James Beard-award winning series Avec Eric joins the Cooking Channel weekend lineup with twelve brand-new episodes beginning Saturday, February 28th at 9:30 a.m. ET/6:30 a.m. PT. Hosted by Michelin three-star chef, author and TV personality Eric Ripert of Le Bernadin restaurant in New York City, the show offers an insider's view of the professional life and culinary adventures of Ripert, who travels the globe for creative inspiration. The newly revamped series traces Ripert's journey as he explores the people, places, cultures and ingredients that influence his cooking style and directly inform simple, accessible dishes prepared from his home kitchen.

Also coming in a couple months is a new Food Network competition show called All Star Academy which seems to be a version of Master Chef but using the Food Network personalities.  Meh... I'm sure I'll watch, but only because that's what I do.

Edited by JTMacc99

I caught up with the season premiere of "Extra Virgin" this evening. Loved the tour of Zac Posen's studio. Guilana (sp?) was having so much fun! Where is the other daughter? I was picking up during the last season or so, that she was so "over with" being on the show. Ah, the joys of teenage-hood.

I was surprised to see Debi. She admitted that she's put on some weight,, but it seemed to be all in her face. She looks very puffy, not really like it's from weight gain. I hope she's OK. No matter what, I think she's a very striking woman and I just love her and Gabriele.

I have been watching the new season, it is wonderful.  I also loved the tour of Zac Posen's studio.  I agree that Debi looks puffy, I also hope she is alright.  They are such a breath of fresh air on that network.

I've been watching "Recipe Rehab" on CBS's "Dream Team" Saturday morning block of programs. I like seeing how the chefs "fix" the families' favorite meals, even if the before foods seem like they'd be more fun to eat.

While I generally hope that Chef Richard wins -- there's something about Chef Vicki that annoys me -- he is so obviously not comfortable on camera it's almost comical.

• Love 1

I've seen the ads for Tiffani's show, but didn't realize it had started. I set the DVR to record so I can check it out.

So, is Daphne Dishes over? Seems like CC is tossing things out there to see what sticks.

I've watched 2 episodes of Tiffani's show. I had no idea who she was, but I thought anyone with camera presence and liked to cook would be interesting. Her 1st show was okay - I'm always interested in appetizers and thought she had some interesting ones. The only guest I recognized was Ross. I didn't know who a single guest was on the 2nd show, and didn't find the dishes that interesting. Too much about the guests. I think I'll take it off the DVR.

A HUGE thanks to everyone upthread.  This was my first time wondering into this corner of PTv and I had ZERO idea about the train wreck that was Thanksgiving Live on TFN.  I found a video on Funny or Die and, OMG, that was a shit show but so weirdly mesmerizing!  I wish they had done it again this past Thanksgiving.

I wish my local PBS were better.  I get almost no cooking shows anymore.

I've changed my mind about "Dinner at Tiffani's". I'm glad I made it past the 2nd episode. She has some nice ideas for dishes, things I would actually make.

This week, someone at my PBS cable station must have screwed up. They usually show cooking shows after gardening shows in the afternoon. It was nothing but cartoons all day! I went to their FB page, and the first complaint was from someone asking what happened to "Knitting Daily" at 9 am. That was so funny to me, that not only is there such a show, but someone would miss it. There probably were folks equally perplexed about those of us complaining that the cooking shows were gone. Thankfully, it's been corrected.

I saw one episode of Tiffani Whomever's show, the premise of which was a "girl's night" dinner, and the food was basic but tasty, but she was on and on throughout the whole episode about various food and drinks being "girly."  I never even made it to the end; keep your gender clichés to yourself and just cook, please.

Does anyone watch Pati's Mexican Table?  It's part of the Saturday cooking show lineup from one of my local PBS stations, and she makes good food, but I have to watch it on mute with closed-captioning because her voice bugs me so much. 

• Love 1

I watch every cooking show my 3 PBS stations carry, so yes, I watch Pati. Between her accent and lisp, I find her hard to understand.

One show that I only see on one of the PBS station's cable channel is "A Moveable Feast". I really like it - features accomplished chefs in different locations. I saw it's been nominated for a James Beard award, but I can't remember in what category.

What fresh hell is Real Girl's Kitchen? She might be a decent cook, but does she do anything but bring up all the movies and plays (F List at best) she's been in and name drop other equally F List actresses? Girlfriend, please. The only reason you aren't working at Walmart or IHop is your sister was Lizzie Maguire back in the day. Plus, seriously, facials and a workout and your big "cooking" segment was a salad and banana boats? What. The. Fuck. 

• Love 3
Does anyone watch Pati's Mexican Table?  It's part of the Saturday cooking show lineup from one of my local PBS stations, and she makes good food, but I have to watch it on mute with closed-captioning because her voice bugs me so much. 

I love Pati's Mexican Table!  I was bummed when Create stopped airing it so frequently.  It took me a while to get used to her voice but now it doesn't bother me, except when she has her kids on.  Then she gets so SCREEECHY! 

Does anyone but me wonder if all these cooks reallllly use olive oil all.the.time? The reason I ask is I think it's advertiser-driven as nobody says to "saute it in olive oil." They'd just say "saute it" or "saute it in oil." 

I love Pati's Mexican Table and I love to hear her accent. 

I've seen recipes that specifically call for using olive oil, some call for vegetable oil, and I have a stir-fry that calls for peanut oil. If you want something that adds no flavor, I use vegetable (mostly canola), but olive oil adds something to the dish. So I do believe if they specify olive oil, that is what they intend to be used. I use more olive oil than anything other kind.

I've seen recipes that specifically call for using olive oil, some call for vegetable oil, and I have a stir-fry that calls for peanut oil. If you want something that adds no flavor, I use vegetable (mostly canola), but olive oil adds something to the dish. So I do believe if they specify olive oil, that is what they intend to be used. I use more olive oil than anything other kind.

But 99% of the time it's olive oil. It's so common I'm shocked when someone suggests canola or another type. Just like all this wine talk started ironically at the same time that wine....er, companies..?.....began "supporting" some shows. Suddenly perfectly good cooking time is wasted rambling about wine.

There seems to be a Dinner At Tiffani's marathon on Cooking Channel this afternoon, so I decided to check it out.  But I couldn't stick around for the food after she introduced the episode by announcing that "Jason and Naomi have been dear friends of Brady and I's for many many years...."  She may be a lovely person and a fine cook, but I have my limits.

• Love 1

Maybe it's that time of year, but I'm seeing fruit cobblers and parfaits and pies everywhere. Barefoot Contessa showed us all how to parboil peaches to remove the skin easily, and I've been dreaming of those peaches for days. Tomorrow I'm going to the store for some fruity ingredients. 

I finally caught Tiffani's show and I like it.  Someone earlier mentioned it's kind of basic food, but it's the kind of every day cooking I like to do, as compared to Pioneer Woman, et al.  I also love that she has backyard chickens because both her and her husband had chickens as kids, lol.  And that her co-star asked if the fried chicken was, erm, "local."

• Love 1

I was watching Tia Mowry's show on CC today (don't judge me, I was on the treadmill and didn't want to pause to change the channel), and she made a beef and lentil beef stew in a slow cooker. She browned the beef, and when everything went in the slow cooker, including the lentils, said to cook it on high for 8 hours. I've never seen a slow cooker recipe cook beef on high for that long, they're usually on low. I'd also think the lentils would be mush.

And I really didn't need to see at least 5 minutes on hair and makeup. CC really seems to be into putting actors who like to cook on their shows these days.

Why are these has-beens getting cooking shows? If Scripps wants to give former celebrities a shot, then bring back Brian Boitano's show (not that he's a has-been.) His show was entertaining and the food was unique and looked delicious. He has some serious cooking chops. At the very least, give him one of the millions slots tied up in endless repeats of "Everyday Italian."

I wish Nigella and Laura Calder would produce some new shows. I also liked Bal Aronson until that ridiculous show "Spice of Life." Thank goodness that got canned. (Or at least it's no longer aired during my waking hours.)

• Love 5

Nigella Lawson has a new book & accompanying TV show coming out this Autumn, though I'm not sure when the TV show will start in America -- they'll be called "Simply Nigella".

Sadly, I've heard nothing about any plans for Laura Calder to do more TV.

• Love 1

Why are these has-beens getting cooking shows? If Scripps wants to give former celebrities a shot, then bring back Brian Boitano's show (not that he's a has-been.) His show was entertaining and the food was unique and looked delicious. He has some serious cooking chops. At the very least, give him one of the millions slots tied up in endless repeats of "Everyday Italian."

I wish Nigella and Laura Calder would produce some new shows. I also liked Bal Aronson until that ridiculous show "Spice of Life." Thank goodness that got canned. (Or at least it's no longer aired during my waking hours.)

I loved Brian Boitano's cooking show.  Yeah, it seems every celebrity is getting their own show.  I mean seriously, Hayley Duff?  Not to be mean and I know she's acted in some projects, but I feel like her main claim to fame is that she is Hilary Duff's older sister.

• Love 3

I loved Brian Boitano's cooking show.  Yeah, it seems every celebrity is getting their own show.  I mean seriously, Hayley Duff?  Not to be mean and I know she's acted in some projects, but I feel like her main claim to fame is that she is Hilary Duff's older sister.

I thought Boitano's show was horrible.  He acted like a hyperactive child who was off of his medication.

Nigella Lawson has a new book & accompanying TV show coming out this Autumn, though I'm not sure when the TV show will start in America -- they'll be called "Simply Nigella".

Sadly, I've heard nothing about any plans for Laura Calder to do more TV.

That's great news!

Thank you, mousie, for the links to the Laura Calder vignettes.

(edited)

What's more tedious than picking fleas off of a dog? When a cooking show has the tiresome segment of the cook visiting the farmer's market, a farm, or a grocery store to buy an ingredient essential to a recipe. There's always the cook oohing and aahing over how fresh the vegetables are. If the farm is organic, I half expect the cook to fellate the farmer. We're treated to the expression "farm fresh" ad nauseam.

Unless the food falls from the sky like manna, I don't give a rat's ass where the food is purchased!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

What's more tedious than picking fleas off of a dog? When a cooking show has the tiresome segment of the cook visiting the farmer's market, a farm, or a grocery store to buy an ingredient essential to a recipe. There's always the cook oohing and aahing over how fresh the vegetables are. If the farm is organic, I half expect the cook to fellate the farmer. We're treated to the expression "farm fresh" ad nauseam.

Unless the food falls from the sky like manna, I don't give a rat's ass where the food is purchased!

I really agree with you but I suppose that it is better than having to watch Gigi of Farmhouse Rules go antiquing.  Actually I feel that I sit at a table for one because I like some stand and stir shows. Are the current crop of chefs afraid to stand on their own without bring in grandchildren, kids, dogs and cowboys, etc. I like brunch at Bobbie's and I really miss Tyler's ultimate and East meets West with Ming Tsai. I like shows with interesting recipes and will teach me something new. All three of those guys and Anne Burell are great teachers which is what I want on a cooking show.

• Love 1

Hi folks,

It's only a few days until Valerie Bertinelli's new show debuts on Food Network.

Saturday, August 8th at noon

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2015/07/valerie-bertinelli-on-valeries-home-cooking/

Getting a little tired of all these B-list celebs getting cooking  shows. I will probably watch it to see if it's a trainwreck. After all she was the spokesmodel for Jenny Craig for a few years, now she's a dedicated home cook and foodie?

• Love 1

"Beat Bobby Flay" -- for some reason he's growing on me.

MAYbe he's not as much of a pr!ick and as conceited as people used to say he was...I don't know....

But while I'm liking him more and more -- I'm SICK and tired of seeing him on damned near every other show on Food Network.

So while this show is OK.....the fact that it features Bobby Flay -- AND is a take off of Iron Chef AND Throwdown w/ Bobby Flay....doesn't help endear me.

I'm just feeling OD'd on Bobby and the competition format.

Everything is a competition with Food Network...and I'm just over it.

• Love 2