Type keyword(s) to search

Cooking Shows: What's Cooking?

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Not really a cooking show, but a food one. Anyone watch Michael McKean's Food: Fact or Fiction? Very interesting.

I watch it and I enjoy it. I'm glad to hear there will be a new season. IonLife channel has some interesting cooking shows - mostly old repeats from Canada tv.

• Love 1

Anyone watching Stove Tots?  Not exactly a cooking show either but a cooking competition.  The kids have their parents with them as part of their team and I have to say that the unsportsmanlike attitude of some of the parents is quite alarming.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Not really a cooking show, but a food one. Anyone watch Michael McKean's Food: Fact or Fiction? Very interesting.

Mo Rocca had a very similar show on the Cooking Channel years ago. 

I wish CC would do more shows of his My Grandmother's Ravioli

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5

So Julia and Bridget from America’s Test Kitchen are on the cover of Costco’s magazine, and man they run me the wrong way.  They are acting like they invented the show.  They comment on how they are telling you they used 40 pounds of shrimp to develop a recipe and talking about how they did it, which has never been done before.  Christopher Kimball did that all the time.  Then they said they are a new dynamic because they are hosts who already know how to cook.  Maybe he didn’t go to a cooking school (I don’t know), but Christopher knew how to cook.  I have watched the show with them and I find it painful to listen to them.  After reading this, I think I am out for good.

So Julia and Bridget from America’s Test Kitchen are on the cover of Costco’s magazine, and man they run me the wrong way.  They are acting like they invented the show.  They comment on how they are telling you they used 40 pounds of shrimp to develop a recipe and talking about how they did it, which has never been done before.  Christopher Kimball did that all the time.  Then they said they are a new dynamic because they are hosts who already know how to cook.  Maybe he didn’t go to a cooking school (I don’t know), but Christopher knew how to cook.  I have watched the show with them and I find it painful to listen to them.  After reading this, I think I am out for good.

America's Test Kitchen has its own thread.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Crs97 said:

My thoughts exactly. I am out watching their supposedly new and improved show. They both seem so arrogant to me now.

Edited by rcc
Mods can move this if they see fit.
  • Love 1

I watched Wedding Cake Championship and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! I really liked both the cake topper and cake that the winning team made. I picked their topper from the get go....loved the cake on the hanger in the arbor! I know that I would never choose a Super Hero cake but since that is what the couple wanted, they seemed to get what they desired! I had to laugh when the judges didn't like the flavor/texture of the winning cake and the groom loved it...guess he is who counts. Felt sorry for the two bottom teams since time seemed to be their downfall...literally in one case. And surprisingly Tara and Johnny were not too over-the-top...well, for Johnny anyway, who is always over-the-top!!!! I will definitely watch this show and since it is only 4 weeks long, it will go quickly!

• Love 1

I got a streaming service a few months ago, so I've had plenty to watch other than cooking shows, but I got bored tonight and turned on the Wedding Cake show. But it brought back memories of TWOP and there was a Wedding Cake show, not really a competition, it was on TLC or WE, I think. Usually featured 3 bakers each show. There was a woman with a lot of tattoos and kind of a goth look in a second floor studio in NYC, I think an earlier season, she worked for someone else. She did some pretty incredible sugar work. There was an annoying couple that squabbled, they were both on the heavy side, he was gay, she was married to a guy that occasionally helped them, they were in Los Angeles area. Another guy, I think his name might have been Christopher, but his shop had another name, it was near LA, but not in LA, I think, he did a lot of sculpture and usually turned out beautiful cakes. And there was a bakery in Chicago, I think they were an all women bakery, but they had a guy who did their deliveries. I believe they had a fire at one point, they did pretty inventive cakes sometimes. In the last season that I watched, and maybe of the show, they didn't use most of those bakers anymore, they had a guy in NJ or on Long Island, a couple of sisters in maybe Michigan or Wisconsin and one episode there was a lot of snow they had to get through to deliver the cake.

Does anyone remember this show and what was it called? I am nuts, but it's driving me even nuttier. 

16 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I got a streaming service a few months ago, so I've had plenty to watch other than cooking shows, but I got bored tonight and turned on the Wedding Cake show. But it brought back memories of TWOP and there was a Wedding Cake show, not really a competition, it was on TLC or WE, I think. Usually featured 3 bakers each show. 

Does anyone remember this show and what was it called? I am nuts, but it's driving me even nuttier. 

After some searching I found a show called Amazing Wedding Cakes that aired on WE.

On July 10, 2018 at 2:53 AM, friendperidot said:

I got a streaming service a few months ago, so I've had plenty to watch other than cooking shows, but I got bored tonight and turned on the Wedding Cake show. But it brought back memories of TWOP and there was a Wedding Cake show, not really a competition, it was on TLC or WE, I think. Usually featured 3 bakers each show. There was a woman with a lot of tattoos and kind of a goth look in a second floor studio in NYC, I think an earlier season, she worked for someone else. She did some pretty incredible sugar work. There was an annoying couple that squabbled, they were both on the heavy side, he was gay, she was married to a guy that occasionally helped them, they were in Los Angeles area. Another guy, I think his name might have been Christopher, but his shop had another name, it was near LA, but not in LA, I think, he did a lot of sculpture and usually turned out beautiful cakes. And there was a bakery in Chicago, I think they were an all women bakery, but they had a guy who did their deliveries. I believe they had a fire at one point, they did pretty inventive cakes sometimes. In the last season that I watched, and maybe of the show, they didn't use most of those bakers anymore, they had a guy in NJ or on Long Island, a couple of sisters in maybe Michigan or Wisconsin and one episode there was a lot of snow they had to get through to deliver the cake.

I remember that show, too, and think that the lady in the squabbling LA cake partners was Reva, the red head of the winning Wedding Cake Championship show that just wrapped up. She has been on lots of cake competition shows and Halloween Wars. I guess she and her cake partner and her hubby all split because on WCC, she and her cake partner are from Georgia. In another show you mentioned, Christopher who produced incredible sculptural cakes, was married to the tiny, darling Asian lady who he good-naturedly sparred with. That fact wasn't mentioned but I was so impressed with their creations that I googled the bakery.

• Love 1

My issue with all the cake competitions is that flavor never is included in the judging.  Yes, it’s pretty, but the guests want to eat it, too, and sometimes I wonder how with all the dowels and sticks through the cake and all the gross fondant covering it.  Might as well be decorating boxes and rocks or judging ice sculptures.

• Love 5

Thank you Spunkygal, I remember that Christopher and the Asian lady were married, I can't remember her name, but they worked together so nicely and they did produce some beautiful cakes. I remember looking through their gallery at one time and there were really beautiful cakes. I didn't watch any of the more recent cake shows so I didn't know that Reva and that partnership had split. I thought the partner was the more talented decorator. But they weren't always precise and seemed sloppy after watching Christopher's team.

I watched a few minutes of that Let's Eat show - way too cutesy & loud

How about the show on PBS Create - The Food Flirts - somehow their cuteness doesn't bother me & I think they're rather amusing - it's the same premise every show so I'm not sure how many of them I'll watch but they're good for a 9 p.m. chuckle

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, DeathQuaker said:

I was pleasantly surprised by the Food Flirts. Yes somehow they could be too cutesy but they pull it off as fun. I like some of the "food mashups" they come up with.

Well, I wondered why I haven't seen this show. My Create channel airs it at 3 am!

On 8/13/2018 at 6:46 AM, Marathonrunner said:

I watched a few minutes of that Let's Eat show - way too cutesy & loud

I tried watching that for a few minutes. I agree with your assessment. If there are future episodes I may try a later one to see if it improves. The one I saw seemed awkward. It doesn't help that I have no idea who any of the hosts are.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Jaded said:

I tried watching that for a few minutes. I agree with your assessment. If there are future episodes I may try a later one to see if it improves. The one I saw seemed awkward. It doesn't help that I have no idea who any of the hosts are.

Yes - who are these people?! Of course there are many chefs/cooks whom I didn't know when their shows first came on - some ended up being favorites (Sara Moulten) others not so much (The Kitchen group)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Marathonrunner said:

Yes - who are these people?! Of course there are many chefs/cooks whom I didn't know when their shows first came on - some ended up being favorites (Sara Moulten) others not so much (The Kitchen group)

Jameka was on FN Star a few seasons ago and Stuart was on that crappy Private Chefs of Beverly Hills show, lord I watch too much crap tv, so FN recycled people.

• Love 2

I think having at least one person more people would recognize on panel shows like that would help with ratings. I knew who most of the hosts on The Kitchen were in one way or another when it started so that made me want to tune in and watch. 

• Love 1

Using lesser known talent is cheaper than people who already have recognition on the network.   My online guide showed the episode last week as episode 3, which I take to mean they thought it was a better episode to debut with than the first 2.  Which is shocking, because I can't imagine this being much worse.  I see the episode this week was episode 2.  I watched for about 1 minute and couldn't take it.  I want to know who looked at that Kitchen Sink mess, thought it was worth attempting again and actually managed to make it worse.  

• Love 1
On 2017-11-29 at 12:36 PM, Koalagirl said:

Anyone watching Stove Tots?  Not exactly a cooking show either but a cooking competition.  The kids have their parents with them as part of their team and I have to say that the unsportsmanlike attitude of some of the parents is quite alarming.

I got through the intro and had to turn it off. Over competitive helicopter parents is not my idea of watchable tv. 

• Love 2

Has anyone watched Sammy and Bella’s Kitchen Rescue now streaming on Netflix? It has the potential to be a good show half teaching people recipes that fit their lifestyle and half organizing their kitchen. Unfortunately it falls short on both particularly the organizing/tips part.

(edited)

I watch a lot of cooking shows, but am currently bingeing Bong Appetit. It's a competition show (looks like we talk about those in here, too), but as laid back as one might imagine, considering they're cooking with cannabis. The tone is interesting, because they're serious about cannabis and the food looks great, but everyone's having fun and it's a hoot to see the judges get progressively baked. The judges have some connection to cannabis (the guest judges are often dispensary owners). I use medical marijuana, so thought I might pick up some pointers. Even if I never do, it's just fun to watch. 

Edited by Darian
19 minutes ago, Darian said:

I watch a lot of cooking shows, but am currently bingeing Bong Appetit. It's a competition show (looks like we talk about those in here, too), but as laid back as one might imagine, considering they're cooking with cannabis. The tone is interesting, because they're serious about cannabis and the food looks great, but everyone's having fun and it's a hoot to see the judges get progressively baked. The judges have some connection to cannabis (the guest judges are often dispensary owners). I use medical marijuana, so thought I might pick up some pointers. Even if I never do, it's just fun to watch. 

What channel is this on? I've never heard of it.

5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What channel is this on? I've never heard of it.

Something called Viceland, which I hadn't even known existed. Apparently, the show premiered in 2017; this is the third season. I'd love to hear someone else's take on it. No one I know has ever watched it and those who want to watch it don't have that channel. I should have a viewing party. Recreational pot is legal here, so I could apply any knowledge I've picked up to make refreshments! 

I've been watching a lot of Tastemade recently which is a channel I didn't even know existed until last month.  It's like FN/CC but geared toward the 20s crowd.  I doubt any of the hosts are over 30.  There are a few travel shows but they seem to be food centered too.  

There are two shows they seem to show over and over again - Make this Tonight and Struggle Meals.  Make this Tonight will have a theme and then have one to a dozen hosts making various dishes on that theme.  There are no actual recipes; the channel seems to be more improvisational style cooking.  And the dishes themselves seem to run the gambit from beginner to advance home cook.  For example, I watched an episode last night on pasta and it went from a simple pasta primavera that was just sauteing veggies and adding cooked dried pasta to a blueberry dessert that involved making two types of fresh pasta and a custard and maybe something else?  Not a weeknight undertaking for me.

They also have a good mix of styles and tastes.  Meat dishes but plenty of stuff for vegans/veterinarians.  Healthy fare right along more decadent stuff.  It can be a little jarring at times.  I watched an episode on diner fare and they had a meat free ruben made with beets and a couple of segments later a tater tot hot dish.  I wanted to try both dishes but, if I'm being honest with myself, I'd probably only make the hot dish and just try to find the beet ruben at a food truck or something.

Struggle Meals is hosted by a guy named Frankie who also hosts several segments on Make this Tonight.  Struggle Meals premise is that the dishes are less than $2.00 a serving.  I question the math on that.  First, since there are no recipes you can never know if he's using, say, a pound of ground turkey or 3/4ths a pound.  Second, he also relies a lot on his free flavor drawer, basically condiment packets you'd get at restaurants.  I know I've never gotten half the stuff he has in there as a to go packet.  With the exception of soy sauce, I've certainly never gotten any to go condiments in such vast quantities to create a drawer full of the stuff and use it when prepping a meal.  

But even with having to buy stuff like hot sauce or honey and not knowing exactly how much of a protein he's putting into a dish, I imagine his stuff is still pretty frugal and probably clocks in for less than $3.00 or so.  And he also makes some stuff that seems pretty inexpensive and then he adds a premium ingredient that I wouldn't use or that could be cut out without really sacrificing the overall quality of the dish.  It all probably evens out.

I also really like any show that shows you can make good, delicious, and relatively healthy meals with out breaking your budget.  When I'm not hanging out on TV forums or watching cooking shows, I usually spend a lot of time on personal finance blogs and some commenters really believe if you're not spending $500-$700 a month on food then your just living on ramen or starving yourself.  If I had had a show like this when I was in my first years out of college and had a microscopic food budget, I probably would have experimented with cooking more.  

• Love 2

Food Network unleashed another cooking show from some unknown today. It's called "Delicious Miss Brown". The cook is a 30 something black female Kardea (rhymes with Cartier) Brown from someplace called Edisto Island, SC. She lives in a rural area right off a waterway where she has her own pier where she gets fresh seafood from her own crabbing cage.

Her cooking style appears to be Southern soul food. Today's show started with her leaving her church after a Sunday service and inviting a bunch of folks over for a meal.  Her menu was so basic - fried chicken, mac & cheese with her fresh crabmeat and her aunts Bundt cake made with lemon-lime soda. She even did that very annoying thing that the FN demands - at least one homespun story where the host interacted with a family member over food. She tells how her aunt would make the soda cake and Lil Kardea would sneak out of bed, tempted by the smell of the cake but her auntie would always hear her. I did not believe this story... felt that it was made up for the show.  This is the type of show I would keep on for background noise, not for recipe tips.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, patty1h said:

Food Network unleashed another cooking show from some unknown today. It's called "Delicious Miss Brown". The cook is a 30 something black female Kardea (rhymes with Cartier) Brown from someplace called Edisto Island, SC. She lives in a rural area right off a waterway where she has her own pier where she gets fresh seafood from her own crabbing cage.

Her cooking style appears to be Southern soul food. Today's show started with her leaving her church after a Sunday service and inviting a bunch of folks over for a meal.  Her menu was so basic - fried chicken, mac & cheese with her fresh crabmeat and her aunts Bundt cake made with lemon-lime soda. She even did that very annoying thing that the FN demands - at least one homespun story where the host interacted with a family member over food. She tells how her aunt would make the soda cake and Lil Kardea would sneak out of bed, tempted by the smell of the cake but her auntie would always hear her. I did not believe this story... felt that it was made up for the show.  This is the type of show I would keep on for background noise, not for recipe tips.

I watched it and really enjoyed it. 

I made the 7-Up cake and the chicken strips (not po'boys, just the strips) the next day since I had most of the stuff on hand, and they were delicious.  

I really enjoyed seeing her walk down to the end of her dock and pull up that trap full of crab.  I would love to have that luxury 😄 

• Love 2

I think I've seen the worst excuse for a food related show - Supermarket Stakeout.  The premise is so stupid it boggled my mind.  I only lasted half an episode so my explanation my be a little off.

Cooking stations are set up in the parking lot of a supermarket and the 4 contestants are given a sum of cash and have to accost shoppers as they exit the store with their just purchased groceries.  They offer the shopper money for the items they just bought, (do they bargain against each other? I don't remember) and then the contestant has to cook a dish with whatever they find in the purchased grocery bag.  Get it?  Then Alex Guarnaschelli judges the dish.   

The contestants go on to another round - I think they end up cooking at least 3 times per episode.  I'm not sure, but I also think the winner depends on how much money they have at the end of the 3 rounds.  This is a new low for TFN in my opinion.  Too many cooking game shows and competitions.

• Love 1
On 9/8/2019 at 11:14 AM, patty1h said:

I think I've seen the worst excuse for a food related show - Supermarket Stakeout.  The premise is so stupid it boggled my mind.  I only lasted half an episode so my explanation my be a little off.

Cooking stations are set up in the parking lot of a supermarket and the 4 contestants are given a sum of cash and have to accost shoppers as they exit the store with their just purchased groceries.  They offer the shopper money for the items they just bought, (do they bargain against each other? I don't remember) and then the contestant has to cook a dish with whatever they find in the purchased grocery bag.  Get it?  Then Alex Guarnaschelli judges the dish.   

The contestants go on to another round - I think they end up cooking at least 3 times per episode.  I'm not sure, but I also think the winner depends on how much money they have at the end of the 3 rounds.  This is a new low for TFN in my opinion.  Too many cooking game shows and competitions.

What if they accosted a person who had no food items in their bags, say like kitty litter and paper towels?

Molly Yeh hosts a new four-part Food Network competition for Ice Cream Makers to Create New and Outrageous Flavors in BEN & JERRY'S: CLASH OF THE CONES

The ice cream makers are challenged to capture the essence of a celebrity or pop culture icon in a new and innovative ice cream flavor, inspired by the direction given from the celebrity themselves.  Celebrity inspirations include hip-hop icon and actor Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Food Network’s Duff Goldman and Buddy Valastro, and actor Kevin Bacon.  Judges are Jet and Ali Tila and Ben & Jerry's Flavor Guru Chris Rivard.

Food Network Premieres THROWDOWN WITH MICHAEL SYMON on December 7 at 9:30PM with a special double episode.

Michael is joined by his culinary director and right-hand, Katie Pickens, as they challenge the best of the best in the culinary world, with Michael taking on that chef’s signature dish and challenging them to a good old-fashioned Throwdown.  The catch -- Michael doesn’t know who he is going up against and the chefs don’t know Michael is coming.

Episode 1 (12/07/2021,  9:30PM) : Battle of the BBQ Burgers
Episode 2 (12/07/2021  10:00PM) : Georgian Cheesy Bread
Episode 3 (12/14/2021,  9:30PM) : Savory Chicken Shawarma
Episode 4 (12/21/2021,  9:30PM) : Crunchy Asian Fried Chicken

The description of this series is basically "Beat Bobby Flay", part deux, which isn't surprising with the news of Flay's departure from Food Network.  I've watched a few of the Flay episodes but I don't find a lot of his friends (Kathy Lee, Geoffrey Zakarian, Giada, among others) watchable.  I may look in on the first episode of this show to see how much it tests my tolerance.

• Love 1

I just stumbled upon the news that Lidia Bastianich’s lovely mother passed away in February of this year at the age of 100. I always loved it when she appeared with Lidia on her show. She seemed like such a special lady. 

9 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I just stumbled upon the news that Lidia Bastianich’s lovely mother passed away in February of this year at the age of 100. I always loved it when she appeared with Lidia on her show. She seemed like such a special lady. 

I just saw Lidia's show with an in memoriam to her mother at the end. Special lady indeed.

• Useful 1
On 10/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, RealityCheck said:

Food Network Premieres THROWDOWN WITH MICHAEL SYMON on December 7 at 9:30PM with a special double episode.

The description of this series is basically "Beat Bobby Flay", part deux, which isn't surprising with the news of Flay's departure from Food Network.  I've watched a few of the Flay episodes but I don't find a lot of his friends (Kathy Lee, Geoffrey Zakarian, Giada, among others) watchable.  I may look in on the first episode of this show to see how much it tests my tolerance.

It also sounds a lot like Bobby Flay's old show Throwdown, with a few changes, maybe legally necessary. 

• Love 1

Eric Adjepong hosts a new five-episode competition, ALEX VS AMERICA, premiering Sunday, January 2nd at 10pm ET/PT with Alex Guarnaschelli.

Each episode features three culinary superstars competing over two rounds against one another as well as against Alex.  At the start of each battle, Alex and the competitors learn what the challenge will be.    nnnEach finished plate will undergo a blind tasting, with only the top three chefs advancing and the least successful from the challenge being immediately sent home, even if it is Alex.

• Useful 1

THE JULIA CHILD CHALLENGE gives extraordinary home cooks the chance to follow in their hero's footsteps premiering Monday, March 14th at 9PM ET/PT on Food Network.

Each episode features two rounds of competitive cooking:  the first-round masters the basics and challenges the competitors to recreate one of Julia’s signature dishes; Round two is an ode to Julia, where competitors must take inspiration from Julia to create a unique dish reflecting their own culinary point of view.

The competitors are:

Bill Borman (Hudson, New York)
Christine Fiorentino (Hoboken, New Jersey)
Dustin Hogue (Chicago, Illinois)
Jaine Mackievitz (Worcester, Massachusetts)
Brit Moore (New York, New York)
Dustin Rennells (Charlestown, Massachusetts)
Elena Ross-Salonga (Cambria, California)
Fabrizio Villalpando (Los Angeles, California)

Head judge Antonia Lofaso and a rotating panel of guest judges decide who wins the life-changing grand prize that literally follows in Julia’s footsteps: an all-expense paid three-month cooking course at Le Cordon Bleu.  Upcoming guest judges include: Molly Baz, Stephanie Boswell, Alvin Cailan, Cliff Crooks, Susan Feniger, Dorie Greenspan, Melissa King, Nilou Motamed, Jacques Pepin, Sherry Yard, and Brooke Williamson.

• Useful 2

I don’t know I missed this, but during the shutdown Michael Symon was going live every day at 5 pm with a dinner recipe you could cook with him.  The recipe went up the night before so you could have your ingredients ready.  He based it on what he could find at the grocery store, gave you tons of substitutes, and answered questions as he went.  

It popped up in my Facebook feed out of the blue recently, and it is top three best cooking show I’ve ever seen.  I’m now heartbroken I missed it earlier.

• Love 1