Type keyword(s) to search

Past Season (and Contestant) Discussion

eteffi
  • Start Topic

Sorry, should have specified that Tenley's Kasey is from Desiree's season, not Kasey from Ali/Bachelor Pad.   

And I agree that Tenley needs to take a step away from the reject pile and find some other dating pool.  

• Love 1

Oh, whew! That's a relief! Now I remember the guy who said "hashtag" a lot, but I didn't make the connection even though CindyBee did say hashtag Kasey. Even though they sometimes have people with the same name each season, my brain only ever remembers the most infamous person with that name, for example the female Kasey equivalent, Kacie B. She wasn't even the only Kacie that show, but KCB will be the only Kacie in my collective Bachelor/ette memory. Sorry, hashtag, you'll NEVER make the cut over guard and protect your heart. He's one of the most memorable contestants in Bachelorette History(TM Harrison).

• Love 1

Since there seems to be interest in the topic of "How the Show Could Improve" I'm going to create a separate thread for that and move all the posts on that topic from here to there.   Thanks for starting this discussion @Bella as it's really interesting, and I know you were having difficulty with exactly where it fit on the forum.  Maybe this will solve that problem. :-)

• Love 1

Just saw a new Kroger commercial and I'm pretty sure that's Meredith in it! The one that goes "I spend a lot of time in my car... And Kroger helps." She is driving a minivan and has two kids and she puts groceries away. I don't think it is her voice doing the Voiceover. Has anyone else seen this? You think it's her?

Just saw a new Kroger commercial and I'm pretty sure that's Meredith in it! The one that goes "I spend a lot of time in my car... And Kroger helps." She is driving a minivan and has two kids and she puts groceries away. I don't think it is her voice doing the Voiceover. Has anyone else seen this? You think it's her?

I've seen it a couple of times. It's definitely her. She looks great. Hopefully she's doing well. Things got off track for her for a while, but hopefully they're on the right track now. I always liked her.

• Love 1

Me too... She was so funny and laid back. And Ian was my favorite bachelorette bachelor ever. Though I wonder if I'd still have a crush on him if I saw it today... If I recall correctly he was kind of a wanderer and my tastes have changed considerably. Hope Meredith has gotten past the rough patches and is healthy and happy.

• Love 2
(edited)

... but I will say the thing she did that I thought was the biggest turn off was when she went off on Chris when he gave Kaitlyn the group date rose before HTD. I found her reaction reeked of entitlement and the reason it especially bothered me was because she was all too happy being the recipient of Chris running off with her to see Big & Rich perform while the women sat around like idiots for over an hour.

When she walked back in with the rose and all the women naturally had emotional reactions, she sat around like she wasn't sure why they were upset. So for her to have had that freak out when Chris gave Kaitlyn the rose was ridiculous. And I hated how she, along with the show's help, completely seemed to ignore that during the WTA and acted like her leaving and her bad image was all Carly's fault and Carly's talking to Chris. And look, I was no fan of Carly's but I hated how that entire unattractive scene from Britt was completely eradicated and never addressed.

Then we saw later how Chris went right up to Carly at the end of the WTA and gave her a big hug, after what Britt had said.

Here's the thing -- Chris S. wrote about Britt's reaction, which stunned him.  WE know that she said to Chris, in FRONT of the other gals, including Kaitlyn, who had just received the group rose, that she did not want to bring him home to her family if she was to be seen as just one of 4 people.  She didn't want to be seen, by her family, as 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice.

That was a very TELLING thing to say -- she did not see the other gals as even possible competition, she resented the very idea.   As long as she was the one getting the rose, that was fine, but no one else should get it at that point.

This is a very serious problem with her mindset.  It matches her statements in the Bachelorette show that NOT being chosen was something that she "totally did not see coming" and that she was "surprised."  

Disappointed, sure.  But surprised?  She never ever saw the possibility that Kaitlyn could be chosen instead of her?

This is why people have some real problems with her attitude re being 'the one' even when there are 25 others.  It's what people mean by "entitlement" issues showing too clearly.

It's as if she doesn't understand the show at all.  She couldn't even accept the hometowns involving 4 of the women, unless she got the rose each time, meaning the others could not really be in the running.  She she said she packed her bags (it turns out that she didn't pack her bags and never did, though that was the rule before rose ceremonies).  

What Chris Soules wrote about this:

Chris S.

"I couldn’t believe she was trying to have that conversation with me in front of two girls I was also in relationships with and acting as if she was the only one there. I certainly did not think it was respectful for us to continue that conversation in front of Kaitlyn and Carly, so I had to walk away. I left feeling shocked and confused. It was a side to Britt I’d never seen, and in complete contrast to the girl I spoke to on the bridge earlier in the day."

That's from http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2015/02/16/what-was-bachelor-chris-thinking-during-britts-cringeworthy-confrontation/

Edited by pitchy
  • Love 2
(edited)

Trista and Ryan now have their own home renovation show! Did anyone know about this? It's called Rocky Mountain Reno, and it's like a 5th rate version of Fixer Upper. 

Aricle here: http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/trista-ryan-sutter-cohosting-new-hgtv-show-rocky-mountain-reno-details-video-2015265

It's on right now and looks like I'm watching the series premiere. This got absolutely no promo, because I watch HGTV all the time and never saw anything about this. I did a double-take when I heard Trista's (very distinct) voice.

Edited by Jess
  • Love 1

Inspired by comments elsewhere in this forum:

when was the last season of the Bachelorette when you thought the final two were both good choices?

When was the last time you thought the final two were both bad choices?

With the caveat that I didn't watch Jen's, Ali's or Emily's seasons, I'll say that I thought that:

I think I'd go all the way back to Trista to two guys I thought both seemed like "catches" - handsome, like able enough, no major baggage, etc.

I didn't necessarily dislike DeAnna's final two, but I didn't think either was a good catch or all that exciting otherwise.

The Bachelor season where Helene won (I think the Bachelor's name was Aaron???), I thought both finalists seemed like really nice people (I'll be darned if I could remember the other finalist's name, I just remember she was blonde and pretty young).

Jen Scheffts season had a bad final two (although Jerry was a dish to look at).

Emily's final two mirrored who my final two would have been, so I guess that would be the best season for me.  I also thought that she was an okay bachelorette and my opinion of her didn't change from the first time I laid eyes on her until today..... she was a pretty pretty princess, and that's not a bad thing.

• Love 3

The Bachelor season where Helene won (I think the Bachelor's name was Aaron???), I thought both finalists seemed like really nice people (I'll be darned if I could remember the other finalist's name, I just remember she was blonde and pretty young).

Aaron's final two was the sweet and lovely Brooke.   Shannon (Alex), Brooke (Aaron), Kelly Jo (Bob), Bettina (Brad 1) and Chantal (Brad 2) are my favorite Bachelor contestants.  However, Bettina is my all time fave.  Favorite Bachelorette contestants are:  Charlie (Trista), Jerry (Jen), Chris (Ali) and Arie (Emily).

Aaron's final two was the sweet and lovely Brooke.   Shannon (Alex), Brooke (Aaron), Kelly Jo (Bob), Bettina (Brad 1) and Chantal (Brad 2) are my favorite Bachelor contestants.  However, Bettina is my all time fave.  Favorite Bachelorette contestants are:  Charlie (Trista), Jerry (Jen), Chris (Ali) and Arie (Emily).

Good choices, although I didn't see Alex's or Aaron's season, I remember and liked the others you mention. Wasn't one of the early favorites nicknamed Tina Fabulous by the fans? I didn't see her season, but I thought it was very cool to make that impression even though not making it to F1.

I liked Arie and think he would have made so much better a Bachelor than many they have chosen (Prince Lorenzo, that football player with the "one way ticket to NY", Ben, Jason, Juan Pablo and Chris, just to mention a few). I thought Trista narrowed it down to a great F2, but Ryan was my favorite over Charlie--I thought he was so sincere and modest--and I actually liked their wedding enough to buy (or at least rent) the dvd if it were ever made available. I hope Des and Chris will have the same kind of success as, to me, they seem the same kind of couple, two "real" and very nice people.

I liked Jerry a lot on Jen's season, but I couldn't stand her and when she was such a snob in meeting his mother it was even worse. He was far too good for her--and is another one that I wish had gotten a show of his own.

I see from the news today that Chris S. is dancing with Chelsea Hightower on stage in Boston. "How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm?" indeed!  http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2015/07/27/chris-soules-spotted-with-hot-blonde-c

• Love 1
(edited)

The two main reasons I made it through Emily's season were Jef and Arie. :D Cool, funny, attractive and had a good bond between them, I looked forward to each week.

Speaking of Jef, despite how messy things apparently got between him and Emily, I like how he's left the franchise far behind him. Reality Steve and his hate boner for Jef and Arie both, kept insisting they would both be on Bachelor In Paradise last season, snarking about how they wouldn't pass on a chance to be famewhores some more and mack on more franchise women. Yeah I'm still waiting for them to show up and when some rightly called him out, he came with some bullshit of how many names were floating around for weeks with regards to the show and so he went by the information he had. I was following some conversation on Twitter last week during the show's airing and someone mentioned Jef as one of their past favorite contestants, and someone jokingly asked if he was even still alive.That's my feeling about this show - if you're crazy enough to do it once, that's fine but after that, run and run far away after that.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Jef had a famewhory run for a bit but he seems to have really mellowed out. Reality Steve is just bitter his ugly ass can never get half of the women Jef and Arie can.

Also, speaking about faves, Tessa from Andy's season will forever be up there. She was another non famewhore who basically disappeared after she broke up with Andy. I actually thought those two would make it since Andy was crazy about her from the start.

And I really, really loved the group of guys from Trista and Meredith's seasons. They seemed to have so much fun. Who can forget Ryan M. from Meredith's season? He was hilarious.

• Love 1

Also, speaking about faves, Tessa from Andy's season will forever be up there. She was another non famewhore who basically disappeared after she broke up with Andy. I actually thought those two would make it since Andy was crazy about her from the start.

Tessa was a class act.  Andy was clearly in love with her, but I never got the feeling she was in love with him.  He probably would have been better off with Bevin.

Speaking of Jef, despite how messy things apparently got between him and Emily, I like how he's left the franchise far behind him. Reality Steve and his hate boner for Jef and Arie both, kept insisting they would both be on Bachelor In Paradise last season.

I would like to know what exactly fuels Reality Steve's irrational hatred of Arie. 

Tessa was a class act.  Andy was clearly in love with her, but I never got the feeling she was in love with him.  He probably would have been better off with Bevin.

Nah, I think Tessa loved Andy but she was a private person and didn't like his love of the spotlight. She was even with him months after they broke up before he got deployed so I really do believe there was real love there.

I honestly feel that Emily got the last great group of guys. Des had a few good ones, but the ones that have come after have been such duds. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I really liked both Roberto and Chris Lambton, Ali's F2. I've never disliked both F2 until this season.

I just re-watched Ali's season and, it turns out, it might just be the best season of the modern era! (TBette ran from 2003-2005 and lay dormant until coming back in 2008.) A smart, competent Bachelorette; cool locations; and a GREAT cast of characters, including maybe the best F2 of them all. Chris Harrison actually cared back then, and wasn't all winking and self-aware about the "most dramatic season ever" thing.

Give it another viewing, but prepare to be bummed out by how badly the show has veered off-course since then.

Edited by Bugs Meany

I just re-watched Ali season

Where did you see it, Bugs? I would love to watch old seasons; I missed several during the heyday of VH-1 dating shows. I agree that Ali's season was great! Maybe that's why they canceled hometowns for Kaitlyn and only allowed the two most stockholm-syndromed to just go to Utah. They were afraid if anyone had a chance to talk to anyone they knew from their real lives, they would all leave Kaitlyn for an ex, just like Frank did.

Where did you see it, Bugs?

I had to cough up some bucks and buy the season on iTunes. Unfortunately there are no seasons available to stream for free, and even on iTunes and Amazon there's nothing before 2009 (Jason and then Jillian). It sucks.

• Love 1

I'd love to rewatch Trista's season of The Bachelorette, just to see how they did everything again back then. It's been so long, it would be cool to see what the franchise was when it was new. 

• Love 1

I'd love to rewatch Trista's season of The Bachelorette, just to see how they did everything again back then.

I still have the VHS tapes of Trista and Andrew Firestone's seasons.  My husband can't understand why I am keeping them, because we no longer own a VCR.  But for sentimental reasons, I just can't get rid of them. 

I still have VHS tapes of Meredith and Ian. :)  Three or four years ago when my VCR was on its last legs and would play but not record, I rewatched them and the show has changed immensely. For one thing, the show was only an hour long and, needless to say, was very condensed compared to the show these days. By the time they showed a brief recap of the previous episode and then the cocktail party and rose ceremony, there was only about thirty minutes to, e.g. fit in the three fantasy dates or the four hometown dates.

People complain nowadays that they don't show them having conversations or discussions about life or love or religion or politics or whatever but there was far less back then. I can't remember the name of Meredith's third place guy - he was the unemployed guy who lived in his mother's basement - but they barely exchanged a dozen words on their fantasy date (on the show) and a chunk of time was taken up with her trying to get him to give her a proper kiss. They hadn't even reached that point by fantasy date time back then! How things have changed on the show, and not for the better I must say. 

There also seemed to be a pattern in the old seasons where, during Fantasy Suite time, one of the suitors would inexplicably become oddly quiet, and there would be a talking head of "We've been getting along so great and always had so much to talk about, I don't know what happened"

I can't remember the name of Meredith's third place guy - he was the unemployed guy who lived in his mother's basement - but they barely exchanged a dozen words on their fantasy date (on the show) and a chunk of time was taken up with her trying to get him to give her a proper kiss.

I found it interesting that Chad was taken to task for being unemployed and living in his Mama's basement, but equally unemployed, homeless, couch surfing Ian was given a pass.  The fraus on FORT swooned when Meredith told her Mother that she would be willing to live with him in a closet.  "It was so romantic!"  Personally, I would have chosen Matt, because I like stability. 

I still have VHS tapes of Meredith and Ian. :)  Three or four years ago when my VCR was on its last legs and would play but not record, I rewatched them and the show has changed immensely. For one thing, the show was only an hour long and, needless to say, was very condensed compared to the show these days. By the time they showed a brief recap of the previous episode and then the cocktail party and rose ceremony, there was only about thirty minutes to, e.g. fit in the three fantasy dates or the four hometown dates.

People complain nowadays that they don't show them having conversations or discussions about life or love or religion or politics or whatever but there was far less back then. I can't remember the name of Meredith's third place guy - he was the unemployed guy who lived in his mother's basement - but they barely exchanged a dozen words on their fantasy date (on the show) and a chunk of time was taken up with her trying to get him to give her a proper kiss. They hadn't even reached that point by fantasy date time back then! How things have changed on the show, and not for the better I must say. 

OMG! What I wouldn't give to rewatch Meredith's season. My fave season ever!

I found it interesting that Chad was taken to task for being unemployed and living in his Mama's basement, but equally unemployed, homeless, couch surfing Ian was given a pass.  The fraus on FORT swooned when Meredith told her Mother that she would be willing to live with him in a closet.  "It was so romantic!"  Personally, I would have chosen Matt, because I like stability.

I don't remember Chad being mocked for that back in the day. Ian didn't get mocked because it was apparent that he was unemployed by his own choice. Plus the love story with him and Meredith was so, so obvious that is was hard to hate. I liked Matt enough but Meredith would've never been happy with him. But the show did work for him since he found his wife via Lanny.

• Love 1

I found Matt to be impossibly boring, but I like some fire in my relationships. I do agree that Chad and Ian were treated differently for the same behavior, and I'm not sure the family money that Ian had should have made a difference - he seemed to lack direction, and I think that's why the relationship ultimately failed. Still, I loved watching Meredith and Ian, as well as Andy and Tessa, because of the intense attraction.

• Love 1

OMG! What I wouldn't give to rewatch Meredith's season. My fave season ever!

Mine too, but I was surprised when I watched it back at how uninteresting Meredith was. She really couldn't carry on a conversation and covered up her lack of glibness with her horsey laugh. She didn't tease or giggle or have snappy comebacks but she surely swooned a lot, especially over Ian. The rewatch really affirmed how undeveloped the characters were on the show back then compared to recent seasons. The second viewing (or fifth or tenth or hundredth *blush*) of the proposal was great though - most amazing proposal ever on Bach/ette.  :)

he seemed to lack direction, and I think that's why the relationship ultimately failed.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how 'into' the Meredith and Ian relationship I got after the show ended but there was a closed forum that followed their every move and Ian sporadically communicated with one of the admins of that forum. It wasn't Ian's lack of direction - he had plenty, it was just rather unorthodox. He was a classic rich boy in that he lived off family money but he was very very involved in several charitable organizations and he worked hard on causes that mattered to him. He didn't do the 9-5 corporate world because he could afford the luxury of doing what he wanted instead of what society thought he should be doing.

The relationship failed because of Meredith's lack of depth and intellect, her lack of curiosity about the world around her. Remember how she was so excited to learn how to wind surf? Well, Ian tried to teach her but after a few hours when she realized it was hard to do, she gave up trying. She had wanted to learn Portuguese but that was too complicated. Ian was eager to take her to Sao Paulo and show her his roots but she had no interest in learning the heritage of the city and just wanted to lay on the beach. He called off the engagement when he realized that they weren't well matched intellectually and despite being deeply in love with her that the marriage wouldn't work. He took a lot of flack for his decision but I respect people who have the cojones to recognize a broken engagement is ultimately better than a divorce but I give both of them credit for trying to make it work in real life.

p.s FireFoxy - could you get your hands on a working VCR? If you could, I would be glad to mail you the tapes I have. It's not the full season but is video of the last few episodes (home towns and fantasy dates and proposal) plus another compilation kindly sent to me by another Meridian fanatic of just their moments on the show from limo exit to engagement. PM me if you want to discuss it.

Edited by shok
  • Love 1

The relationship failed because of Meredith's lack of depth and intellect, her lack of curiosity about the world around her. Remember how she was so excited to learn how to wind surf? Well, Ian tried to teach her but after a few hours when she realized it was hard to do, she gave up trying. She had wanted to learn Portuguese but that was too complicated. Ian was eager to take her to Sao Paulo and show her his roots but she had no interest in learning the heritage of the city and just wanted to lay on the beach. He called off the engagement when he realized that they weren't well matched intellectually and despite being deeply in love with her that the marriage wouldn't work. He took a lot of flack for his decision but I respect people who have the cojones to recognize a broken engagement is ultimately better than a divorce but I give both of them credit for trying to make it work in real life.

This is an interesting perspective, and I appreciate your sharing it with us. I am friends with someone who knows Meredith, and she describes Meredith as wanting a "simple life." That really meshes with what you said, though my friend hasn't said anything about Meredith's level of curiosity or intellect. It sounds like they had the heat that jumpstarts the beginning of a strong relationship but lacked the foundation for the kind of friendship that carries a lasting commitment.

Mine too, but I was surprised when I watched it back at how uninteresting Meredith was. She really couldn't carry on a conversation and covered up her lack of glibness with her horsey laugh. She didn't tease or giggle or have snappy comebacks but she surely swooned a lot, especially over Ian. The rewatch really affirmed how undeveloped the characters were on the show back then compared to recent seasons. The second viewing (or fifth or tenth or hundredth *blush*) of the proposal was great though - most amazing proposal ever on Bach/ette.  :)

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how 'into' the Meredith and Ian relationship I got after the show ended but there was a closed forum that followed their every move and Ian sporadically communicated with one of the admins of that forum. It wasn't Ian's lack of direction - he had plenty, it was just rather unorthodox. He was a classic rich boy in that he lived off family money but he was very very involved in several charitable organizations and he worked hard on causes that mattered to him. He didn't do the 9-5 corporate world because he could afford the luxury of doing what he wanted instead of what society thought he should be doing.

p.s FireFoxy - could you get your hands on a working VCR? If you could, I would be glad to mail you the tapes I have. It's not the full season but is video of the last few episodes (home towns and fantasy dates and proposal) plus another compilation kindly sent to me by another Meridian fanatic of just their moments on the show from limo exit to engagement. PM me if you want to discuss it.

That's so surprising about Meredith. I remember watching and rewatching her season and how engaging she was with the men. You could tell they truly loved spending time with her, plus she was really fun. I think some it might have had to do with the excessive boozing she fessed up to doing when she revealed she was an alcoholic. It seems that she toned it down when she was with Ian but really hit the bottle when they broke up because she was devastated. I do get why Ian broke up with her. The heat eventually isn't enough for a longterm relationship to succeed. 

And thank you so much. I sadly can't get my hands on a VHS but it was so nice of you to offer.

11 hours ago, ByTor said:

Who's Reid Rosenthal?

He was a fan favorite on Jillian's season, but I guess not a favorite of yours. ? He placed 3rd after Ed and Kipton. After he was sent home he showed up at the Final Rose Ceremony to propose to Jillian, who turned him down.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, ECM1231 said:

He was a fan favorite on Jillian's season, but I guess not a favorite of yours. ? He placed 3rd after Ed and Kipton. After he was sent home he showed up at the Final Rose Ceremony to propose to Jillian, who turned him down.

Jillian had some great options but chose the slimy cheater Ed. Still can't wrap my mind around how she could let Reid walk away.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2018 at 9:56 PM, ECM1231 said:
On 6/12/2018 at 10:11 AM, ByTor said:

Who's Reid Rosenthal?

He was a fan favorite on Jillian's season, but I guess not a favorite of yours. ?

LOL maybe he would have been if I saw her season :)

• Love 1

(From @Sounder on the XFL, CFL (other football) thread:)And by the way.....despite the fact that Richardson has seven TDs in four games.... he's getting a lot of goal line chances.....at least he converts them.....his yardage doesn't rank on top and I've barely seen his name on any top five MVP candidate lists.  In Atlanta..... they may have been a little hasty writing off the Legends now that Aaron Murray will be assuming the starting role..... he looked real good against Arizona and I still can't believe he didn't stick in the NFL.  I hope he gets another look.

Is this Josh Murray's brother?

On 3/7/2019 at 5:23 AM, Lamb18 said:

Is this Josh Murray's brother?

Yes. On Josh's hometown date, his mother insisted that the entire family has to go to all of Aaron's games, and if Andi were to marry Josh, she'd have to go to every game as well.

• Love 1

I am a very occasional watcher but saw all of Rachel's season. What ever happened to her? I found it so amusing she demanded a proposal but is still not married? I still occasionally drive past Peter's parent's house for work (it's a small town) and sigh. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I am a very occasional watcher but saw all of Rachel's season. What ever happened to her? I found it so amusing she demanded a proposal but is still not married? I still occasionally drive past Peter's parent's house for work (it's a small town) and sigh. 

She's getting married this summer and just bought her wedding dress.  I think she moved to Miami as well.  I follow her on Instagram and that's what I gleaned from her posts.   Peter had a very weird arc on "Total Bellas" (reality TV show about the WWE Bella Twins) in which he was set up with Nikki and he came off a bit creepy/desperate for fame still.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1