Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Phone Home

• Start Topic

The Stranger Things was strong in this episode. No complaints from this corner.

Mick likes musicals!?!?! How does he get more perfect every episode? Now I’m mad that we didn’t get to see the theater chat YOU KNOW he had with Ray.

Baby dominator was pretty cute. More demogorgon than ET though. And did he name it Gumball? Never change Ray. 

Jax did pull off his 80s outfit. And him pairing with Mick was awesome. Add Stein for baby shenanigans and they win. 

Zari paired with the Rays was equally awesome. Her speaking Camelot-ese was delightful. 

Nate can still go away but I’ll admit to a chuckle that he was duped by the dominator. 

The musical interlude was hilarious. 

ET making the bikes fly was always my favorite part of the movie so I loved Zari recreating that. She’s fitting in nicely. 

Little baby Ronnie is adorable and Mick passing out cigars was perfect. 

Sara (and, fine, Nate) getting teary at Gumball and Momma going home was sweet. 

Everyone went trick or treating in their superhero outfits! I love this show. 

• Love 17

Little Ray was so cute. I loved Adult Ray holding a team building meeting.

Ray: Let's play 2 truths and a lie. It'll be fun. 
Mick: Lie
Ray: I know you think this is lame. 
Sara; Truth

Gideon joining in with the arguing. She really has become a Legend. Same with Zari, for me she’s fitting in with team perfectly. Again we see she has a softer side. That’s where they are failing with Ava.

They sure are getting a lot of use out the Dominator CGI. Does Earth 1 have no other alien species. I felt bad for poor little Ray and the baby Dominator

And baby Ronnie Stein was born. Figuring out a way to break up Firestorm. I guess that’s how

Jax will stick around after Stein dies

. I loved the team going trick or treating with Lil Ray in their super hero outfits and they made one for Zari. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 14

I effing love this show.  I did like the Waverider disappearing so Stein could see his grandkid born.  Especially since it removed three people who would have made the episode different.  Firestorm could probably have easily handled the situation and Rory would likely have flame-broiled the government agents.  Gumball was adorable.  Little Ray was even more adorable.  I don't "'ship" Ray and Zari, but I admit I kind of "shipped" Little Ray and Zari with her as his kind of big sister from another mister.

• Love 12

I love this show.  It's so much fun.

Baby Dominator Groot was adorable.  Here's hoping it's revealed that them reuniting Gumball and his mother leads to some Dominators being on humanity's side.

Great insight into Ray, and it made me like him more.  Despite everything that had happened, he's still the optimist who loves what he's doing.

Zari and Ray are going to get together, and that's a good thing.  I like them together so far.

Mick was Mick, and that's always good.  He loves musicals, they continue to give him layers like liking musicals and being a bit of a history buff, and he threatened the bullies.  The threatening of bullies was in part to get some revenge for Ray, but to also indulge his sweet tooth.

I swear, this show, sorry to every other DC show, is easily the best one.

• Love 16

Stein, you can't miss the birth of your grandson.  You have a time ship.   I doesn't matter if he left right then or a week from now he'd show up at the same time.   What happened to the time ship Gideon detected?   Where was Ray's brother?  Aren't they twins?  Sarah said the Dominator was an anachronism, but they didn't return it to whatever time period it belonged to, so now there are at least two Dominators stuck in 1988.  

Nate is an idiot.  I still laughed at 'is there a cougar in the vicinity?'   Sue me.  

Edited by Maverick
  • Love 11

I think I have some alien goop in my eye...

I love this show so much. I just binged Stranger Things, so I was all about the 80s nostalgia trip (even though I was born in the 90s) and I liked getting more backstory on Ray, and that even as adult Ray realized that his childhood was actually quite lonely, he kept his eternally sunny disposition. This was good backstory for Ray and fit in quite well with what we know about him (even if Ray remembers things being better than they were, he probably realized internally how lonely and misunderstood he was, and that led to his self esteem issues as an adult) while allowing him to grow. 

I really like Zari, and while I dont think I ship her and Ray quite yet, I think I could easily in the future. 

Please tell me we will get an episode in the future where Dominators are attacking the Legends, and just when things are looking grim, one Dominator shows up to save the day, leading a group of pro-humanity dominators or something. Then the Dominator goes up to Ray and starts humming along to Singing in the Rain songs and more alien goo will strangly end up in my eye...

Just a really great episode, it was everything I wanted it to be. 

• Love 12

After not being thrilled with the last two episodes, I loved this one.  It was a lot of fun, an homage to ET (right when Stranger Things comes out too) and a Halloween episode on Halloween to boot.

After not caring for Zari's debut, I liked her a lot better here.

Rory admiring young Ray stealing stuff and refusing to tell because he isn't a rat was pretty funny as well.

I enjoyed the musical interlude as well.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Wow. Basically, LoT is the "Arrowverse" show that doesn't give a fuck. That also applies to Gotham, but that's about perverting the hell out of canon. Here, you got supporting characters running amok, and sometimes the homages are just so blatant. Tonight, it was a lot of fun.

Dang, why do Dominators have to grow up so damn ugly? Gumball was a cutie. I'm guessing his/her/its mother was the thing that got Young Ray killed. Watching Gumball and the Rays head-bobbing to Singing In The Rain was just so fitting for the characters, as well as this show.

Pity the gang couldn't stick to the Eighties gear from the start. Of course, Sara had it on proverbial lock. She always has it on lock. Gideon probably unlocks the best time-related fashions for her. Gideon knows Sara is captain, and she respects that.

The subplot was kinda cringy, but at least there were no hard feelings. Yes, the Waverider was taken at a time when the team could have needed it, but this was Stein's first grandkid. And his name is Ronnie. Awwwwww. As for the end . . . kinda hoping we get a situation like the Jason Rusch Firestorm series, where Jax could fuse with anybody to make Firestorm, with the second party riding shotgun. I mean, Mick alone. "HEY! WHAT THE HELL! Warn a guy next time!" {Jax flies and flames the enemies] "What am I saying? This is awesome!! Kid, you missed a guy!!"

Nate couldn't out-goob Ray this week, but he did make a good effort, especially when seeing "Mrs. Palmer" again. Of course we'd get a "cat fight" with Amaya channeling a cougar. Seriously, why not?!?

Dunno if Zari's canon look will stick. I can understand her apprehension in getting into a robe. Too bad she's not a redhead . . . with her wind skillset, she could have cribbed Cyclone's look from Justice Society of America.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm guessing his/her/its mother was the thing that got Young Ray killed

Actually no.  We basically "saw" young Ray die.  He was murdered by the agents when he tried to escape and free Gumball.  I suspect that had that timeline cemented, the Mominator would have located her offspring, received the full story as far as Ray went and then those agents' lives would have been short and deeply unpleasant.

• Love 8

It was a fun episode, I feel like Legends do their best work when they stay in more modern times or go futuristic.

The Ray plot was fun but it made no sense that going back to before lil Ray was murdered would bring present Ray back. It doesn't change the fact that he was still murdered in the "future" so he should've been gone until they changed the moment where he had died.

I am so beyond over Nate and his frat boy tude. Just send him packing please, I really hope that they don't waste Amaya's time with him anymore. Him willing to sleep with Rays mom was just ew and rude. I don't know why they wasted the money on cgi to have Amaya channel a cougar just to knock down the Dominator. It was seriously a waste of money on their part.

The baby Dominator was cute but I hope this is the last we see of them. Introduce some other aliens, between the crossover, Supergirl, and now this, I've had enough of the Dominators.

Mick and Jax got on my nerves with them doubting Stein so easily. You know he has been doubting things since he got on the ship due to his daughter being preggo. If they do have Stein leave to go back to the present, I hope they at least give Firestorm another decent outing where they utilize what Stein brings to Firestorm.  

• Love 1

Who knew a Ray-centric episode would be so fun.

The ET homage  complete with it being on Halloween was perfect.

I love the shots of little Ray, Baby Dominator, and Big Ray moving their heads in unison while watching the evil 'Good Morning' scene in Singing in the Rain and then reprising it later with the evil scientists.

Zari : "The FDA outlawed all of this [candy]  in my time."

Ray: "Oh, they got my letters!"

I like Zari much more this week than last week.  It is nice to see another female in the crew! Bonus that she seems like a good fit.

I love how the final showdown with Mom Dominator wasn't all fighting etc. but rather really sweet.

Finally, Mick shaking down the bullies for their candy was the topper the show needed.

• Love 13

This show is so damn fun. It’s fast becoming my favourite in terms of pure entertainment value.

Little Ray was adorable and really well cast. Big Ray was also adorable with his endless pep. The Zari/Ray combination was pretty good too. 

I loved the Grey/Mick/Jax plot too. I always love when Mick ends up doing something  nice for any of the team.

As usual Nate was the only one I really didn’t enjoy. I hate that Amaya got stuck with him in some petty ‘jealousy’ plot. I really hope the decision to be friends is something they stick to without too many future longing looks. Also his entire thing with Ray’s mum was icky and unnecessary.

• Love 6

They named the baby Ronnie! I had coherent thoughts before this, but then they named the baby Ronnie!

I really like Ray. He's so nice and optimistic.

Love Jax's loyalty to Stein, even if it means braking up the pair.

The trick or treat scene was awesome. Love Sara's look with the practical ponytail.

• Love 6

Cool episode... Nate is still the pits.. But w.e were stuck with him... I guess this is how Jax and Stein seperate... I wonder how and what the consequences of it will be... I hope Jax gets to use some more of his smarts going FWD... Zari was perfect.. I'm glad we arent going to get a protracted  story abt her being a loner and what not.. She just jumped right into it... Not saying I want it to happen but if zari does get involved with a cast mate and it isn't Jax.. I'm gonna start wondering if the powers that be have a problem with two ppl of color dating... Cuz hawkgirl bounced between Ray and Carter hall... Amaya was with that justice society guy and Nate... So I'll be looking out for it... 

• Love 2

When I saw the description I thought this episode was going to be so stupid, and it kind of was, but somehow Legends makes it work.

It's not a major issue for me but Gumball's mom must be unusually powerful. If the Dominators could do everything she was doing during the crossover they wouldn't have needed that machine Barry got Kara to destroy to control people and they would have been a lot harder to stop.

It was fairly obvious Stein's family was going to be what took him off the Waverider. But I'm still curious to see if they're just going to get rid of Firestorm or simply remove Stein from the equation and leave Jax with the power.

The best thing about Mick is the fact that when he pointed his gun at the kids and demanded their candy I'm honestly uncertain if he would have actually set them on fire or not, and not bothered either way. He's still the best part of the show.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 4

"Is Ray dead?" "He better be."

Damn, Sara and Amaya looked HOT in the 80s looks and red sports car.

"Is there a cougar in the premises?" LOL! I do not blame Nate at all. I remember the actress as Pam from Jessica Jones.

Looooved the "Singin in the Rain" bit and the ET homage!

Zari's white costume looked great.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Please tell me we will get an episode in the future where Dominators are attacking the Legends, and just when things are looking grim, one Dominator shows up to save the day, leading a group of pro-humanity dominators or something. Then the Dominator goes up to Ray and starts humming along to Singing in the Rain songs and more alien goo will strangly end up in my eye...

I get the feeling they could be setting up something like that down the line..

Loved all the nods to Back To The Future/ET/Stranger Things..Sara driving that Camaro which kind of looked like the "Thunder Hawk" from .M.A.S.K

Has it been confirmed that

Spoiler

Stein will be killed off rather than just simply leave to be with his family?

Figured Jax would come across some kind of fire-themed totem and that would be how he stays Firestorm

Wish they all couldve held on to those Halloween costumes so that we wouldnt have to see everyone fighting in normal street clothes or disguises

Edited by TDT
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, TDT said:

Loved all the nods to Back To The Future/ET/Stranger Things..Sara driving that Camaro which kind of looked like the "Thunder Hawk" from .M.A.S.K

THAT'S why it looked so familiar! I now have the theme in my head.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, KirkB said:

t was fairly obvious Stein's family was going to be what took him off the Waverider. But I'm still curious to see if they're just going to get rid of Firestorm or simply remove Stein from the equation and leave Jax with the power.

I have kinda suspected this was going to happen ever since Lily first poped into existence. It makes sense for Stein to leave to be with his new daughter and his new grandson. I wonder if Jax will bond with another person and will share the Firestorm power with a new character? Thats basically what they did when they brought Jax on anyway. 

• Love 1

Super loved this episode!

Besides the things people said before, one thing I really liked about this episode was the further differentiation between Ray and Nate. Last season, people were complaining that Nate was just Ray-lite. Now, I can see how their personalities differ, Ray with his Eternal Optimism and Nate with his BroDudeness. Ray Palmer, never change!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think I have some alien goop in my eye...

*sniff* Me too. :)

That was as good as I'd hoped.  Not perfect - I feel like Jax was a little too quick to doubt Stein, and Nate hitting on Ray's mom was irritating, although sort of made up for by him being so grossed out about having made out with a Dominator.  And the "will they won't they" with him and Amaya is annoying.  

Otherwise, I loved it.  Poor Ray.  And I hate to admit it, but I think I could really ship him with Zari after all.  But I'm good with them being friends.  At the end, the game was "two truths and a lie." I wonder which one was the lie.  

As far as Stein goes, it's obvious they're setting up for his exit.  But maybe this is how they're going to have Firestorm without bringing on a new partner for Jax.  Has Firestorm ever been a single person in the comics, or has it always been a merge of two people?

I need to watch it again - too many great scenes. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Kilcanon said:

Besides the things people said before, one thing I really liked about this episode was the further differentiation between Ray and Nate. Last season, people were complaining that Nate was just Ray-lite. Now, I can see how their personalities differ, Ray with his Eternal Optimism and Nate with his BroDudeness. Ray Palmer, never change!

I will say that they have done a decent job showing the differences between them lately. And I know that Nate can be a pain in the ass, but I did love how he ran up and hugged Ray as soon as he reappeared back to life in the 80s. 

• Love 7

Ok, so I totally was wrong about the "glowing eyes in the drainage pipe is a human totem user" guess from last week.  But, in my (lame) defense, I don't watch promos after episodes and didn't know this episode's title until after, so it was a valid guess at the time [... sorta].

I know you're desperate Nate - and want to make Amaya jealous - but macking on Mominator?  Dude, c'mon.

Zari and kid!Ray are so my new BroTP.  Aside from Ray & Mick, of course.

Naming an extremely dangerous young alien "Gumball".  That's so classic Ray.

Gumball making them break out into song and dance.  Then it & kid!Ray bopping along to their routine.  This show.  Love it.

That was a good scene, poignant, how Ray gave his kid self the 'stop living in fantasy land' speech.  But Big Sis Zari wasn't having any of that.

The B-plot wasn't the writers' strongest work.  Jax jumping to conclusions about a guy he shares a mental connection with.  Trust is as trust does, buddy.  Rory I can see making the conclusional jumps, but Jax, without stopping to think that maybe - just maybe - that Lily and the impending birth of her child could have been on the other end of Stein's 'mysterious happenings'.  For God's sake, they spent a good portion of the 2nd half of last season dealing with her and her existence, but "you wanted to talk to your daughter and be there for birth of your first grandchild?!   Just wow!  Who could've known or guessed!?".  And then having Stein being all secretive and destroying evidence.  Ugh.

If didn't already know about VG's *spoiler*, that ending scene would have been highly intriguing.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 5

That is how you write a kid centric plot CW!!!!!!! Little Ray was adorable, plucky, intelligent, vulnerable and so darn likeable. 

BR did a great job this week. I thought he nailed the chirpy optimism mixed with his sadness and slight cynicism that set in when he realised his life wasn't as peachy and he liked to remember it. Ray is normally all bubbly and sunshine and rainbows. He was still a darling but during the episode as he revisited his childhood you could see the optimism wither a bit.  

Finding out that Little Ray brought home all sorts of stray animals broke my heart and cemented my love for him even more. 

They have to give him a Happily Ever After when the series ends, they just HAVE to! *runs off to cry her eyes out*

• Love 20

So, after thinking this episode was going to be IT like last week, I see that it was more E.T. instead.  Either way, admittedly riding the current 80s nostalgia that Stranger Things has made cool again, but that's fine by me!

Great episode for Ray and Brandon Routh.  I almost felt bad at him being mocked for his team-building ideas, because it is nice seeing someone who truly is a team player and wanted the Legends to succeed in all aspects, including their personal ones.  Granted, it doesn't stop me from still laughing at his expense (Ray: "It will be fun!"  Mick: "Lie!"), but I really have grown to enjoy his bubbly personality and optimism.  Also really enjoying the budding friendship between him and Zari that seems to be forming.

Gumball was adorable and I hope that he'll be showing back up in a future episode and Ray's kindness will play a major part in it.  Little Ray was well-cast and I will certainly take him over the rest of the kids the other DC CW shows have been pushing to really make happen so far this season.

Stupid Nate: of course he would try to hit on Ray's mother, complete with lines that come out of a porno.  Admittedly Miss Palmer was pretty hot (didn't recognize that was Pam from Jessica Jones), but still: idiot.  At least it was fun watching it blow up in his face, but I hate that it regulated Amaya to just rolling her eyes at him.  Free Amaya!

Sara didn't do much in this one, but I appreciate her very first scene during the team-building, where they seemed to be doing all they could to show off Caity Lotz in that tank-top.

The B-plot with Firestorm was a bit dumb since Jax really got suspicious too easily and Martin really didn't have a good reason to hide it from him, but it's pretty obvious what this is setting up.

And, finally, there is Mick Rory.  Really can't decide what my favorite Mick moment was: his reaction to Little Ray stealing candy, demanding the bullies give them their candy and allowance at the end, or discovering that he likes Fiddler on the Roof.  Mick truly is the gift that keeps on giving!

• Love 13

Did I seriously tear up twice while watching Legends of Tomorrow? Or did I just get some alien goop in my eye?

This was one of my favorite LoT episodes ever. It had it all. It was heartwarming (Little Ray, Zari, Big Ray), it was hilarious (Nate and the Mominator, Mick and... everything, the musical head bob), it was scary (sort of. I did jump when the Mominator first popped up), it was sweet (every single thing).

I can't believe how much I've come to love Ray. I used to actively hate him back in his Arrow days, even though I always liked Brandon Routh. Now that Ray has come so far, he's just a delight to watch. And Little Ray was so precious! Perfect casting. That kid really nailed the sweetness and the eternal optimism in Ray, but also that vulnerability. The writing was so surprisingly good, all the conversations both Rays had with Zari just jumped off the page. Well done to the writers.

I swear, if they kill off Stein after setting up this wonderful life for him... He should just retire. Please. That said, I'm glad Jax will have a way of still being Firestorm without him. I wonder if he and Ray will figure out how to "create" a solo Firestorm, or if they'll realize that can't be done and then replace Stein with someone else.

I still think Nate is hilarious, in an endearingly dudebro kind of way. And I love how much he loves Ray. I really liked the Nate/Amaya relationship too in season 2, but this season they have been written very poorly, so I'm glad they seem to be done, for now. Amaya has her own storyline, with Kuasa, and she doesn't need to be bogged down in a messy relationship. I'd be fine with some jokes between them, like in last night's episode, and even some "big" romantic moments once or twice, but for now I'm glad they seem to have cooled off.

Mick remains the highlight of this show. When Little Ray stole that candy, and he said "I'm proud of you"? Man, I love him.

LoT is not only the best Flarrowverse show, for me, it's possibly the show I enjoy the most on a weekly basis, at least when it comes to network television. It's always a good time, and I can't say that for most other shows.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

I can't believe how much I've come to love Ray. I used to actively hate him back in his Arrow days, even though I always liked Brandon Routh.

The key is after a while on Arrow, they finally realized Routh is great as the all around good guy boy scout, who's also an optimistic dork.  They're not having him be an obstacle for a couple getting together, they've written to his strengths.

• Love 14

I loved it too. There are too many great moments to list and too many great lines to quote, so a few snippets:

*Young Jack Fisher is one to watch. This episode would have tanked had he been annoying or wooden, but he was so believably a young Ray the illusion wasn't even broken when older Ray was standing in front of us. That's some good acting.

*This was Brandon Routh's episode, and he delivered in spades. I've always liked Ray (never did see him in Arrow), but I've read a lot of people admitting they hated him when he first showed up with Felicity but have come around on him since.

*Look, I want Ray to be happy too, but I'm not rooting for him and Zari right now. I'm liking Zari as a free spirit and I kind of want her to be on the ship free of romance instead of locking her in like Amaya and Nate, or Captain Jack/Kirk-ing her like Sara. Just leave her be.

*Still would have liked more significant moments between Ray and Mick, but I'm delighted with what we got. The trust fall was funny; poor guys! And I loved Mick's genuine surprise and pride when young Ray turned out to be such a nimble thief - I was hoping that was where it was going when I saw the promo picture.

*I love that Mick loves musicals; that was a genuine surprise. Mick does seem to have surprising tastes in his pop culture consumption: Captain and Tennille, Passion of the Christ, and now Fiddler on the Roof. Hopefully we'll see Ray and Mick bonding over musicals in a future episode.

*Other Mick moments I loved: him coming through for Stein - the look on his face when Stein was explaining about the baby was one of genuine shame and remorse. And, of course, literally taking candy from a baby bullying kids. Nobody messes with Haircut unless it's him.

Edited by Miss Dee
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

*I love that Mick loves musicals; that was a genuine surprise. Mick does seem to have surprising tastes in his pop culture consumption: Captain and Tennille, Passion of the Christ, and now Fiddler on the Roof. Hopefully we'll see Ray and Mick bonding over musicals in a future episode.

*Other Mick moments I loved: him coming through for Stein - the look on his face when Stein was explaining about the baby was one of genuine shame and remorse. And, of course, literally taking candy from a baby bullying kids. Nobody messes with Haircut unless it's him.

I love how much Mick is a part of the team now. He doesn't think of himself as a hero but this is his crew and no one messes with his crew (unless it's him :D). He stole the Waverider to get Stein home to see his grandson. I wonder who's idea was it to leave a note for Sara. 

I know people miss Snart and I do too, but Mick was always in his shadow and now that he's gone Mick is becoming his own person and we are getting to learn about him and his interesting taste in movies. 

I'm really enjoying Zari, she fits right in with this team. She also seems to be starting to like them. They may mess up time but they are a good group of people. They do need to work on that bathroom situation they have way too many people to only have 1 bathroom. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, johntfs said:

Actually no.  We basically "saw" young Ray die.  He was murdered by the agents when he tried to escape and free Gumball.  I suspect that had that timeline cemented, the Mominator would have located her offspring, received the full story as far as Ray went and then those agents' lives would have been short and deeply unpleasant.

I'm not so sure.  They went out of their way to *not* have the Men in Black explicitly say they were going to kill him earlier (just strongly imply it), or show him actually get shot; and (U.S.?) government agents killing a 7-year-old in 1987 is way darker than this show usually goes.  Unless this was all some convoluted commentary on the infamous "change the guns in E.T. to walkie-talkies" incident?

On another note:  So they wiped Mom Palmer's memory, but not Young Ray's?  Yeah, that'll do wonders for the timeline.

It didn't dawn on me until the Halloween party at the end of the episode, but is Zari actually Isis, from the "Shazam/Isis Hour" on Saturday mornings back in the 70s?  I used to love that show (and Joanna Cameron was great playing her).  If so, its awkward that they can't really use her name now.  I remember Isis had the same white costume and the red orb necklace, and had some kind of Egyptian-themed powers.  Anyway, I like the new actress and think she fits in well with the rest of the cast.

This was one of the better episodes and was fun all the way through.  The E.T. bicycle scene was silly but sweet.  The little boy playing young Ray was fantastic!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I wonder who's idea was it to leave a note for Sara. 

I assumed that was Jax - Stein is generally polite, but was all secretive and distracted, and I can't imagine Mick leaving a note. Jax is the most team-centric and polite one of those three.

• Love 10
36 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

It didn't dawn on me until the Halloween party at the end of the episode, but is Zari actually Isis, from the "Shazam/Isis Hour" on Saturday mornings back in the 70s?  I used to love that show (and Joanna Cameron was great playing her).  If so, its awkward that they can't really use her name now.  I remember Isis had the same white costume and the red orb necklace, and had some kind of Egyptian-themed powers.  Anyway, I like the new actress and think she fits in well with the rest of the cast.

This was one of the better episodes and was fun all the way through.  The E.T. bicycle scene was silly but sweet.  The little boy playing young Ray was fantastic!

Yes,  Zari is indeed Isis, but given the current state of a terrorist group they've opted to not call her that. 

• Love 5

Another fantastic episode! This show is quickly becoming the one I most look forward to of the entire week.

I'm just repeating what everyone else has said at this point, but there was so much to love here. Getting a deeper look at Zari as well as both Rays, Mick, Gumball becoming a big fan of musicals, it was all so much fun. When I saw this was going to be an ET homage I wasn't really sold, since ET creeped me the hell out when I was a kid (yes, I'm weird). But this managed to be sweet and fun without being cloying or creepy. A+, writers. You're going to spoil us.

10 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

At the end, the game was "two truths and a lie." I wonder which one was the lie.

I believe Zari's lie was that she "loves" musicals.

9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

BR did a great job this week. I thought he nailed the chirpy optimism mixed with his sadness and slight cynicism that set in when he realised his life wasn't as peachy and he liked to remember it. Ray is normally all bubbly and sunshine and rainbows. He was still a darling but during the episode as he revisited his childhood you could see the optimism wither a bit.

5 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Now that Ray has come so far, he's just a delight to watch. And Little Ray was so precious! Perfect casting. That kid really nailed the sweetness and the eternal optimism in Ray, but also that vulnerability. The writing was so surprisingly good, all the conversations both Rays had with Zari just jumped off the page. Well done to the writers.

This really was Ray's episode, and both BR and the child actor hit every note perfectly. I agree that this kid made the episode work, and I can absolutely, completely believe that wide-eyed, smiling boy grows up to be BR's Ray. So well cast.

4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I know people miss Snart and I do too, but Mick was always in his shadow and now that he's gone Mick is becoming his own person and we are getting to learn about him and his interesting taste in movies. 

I'm really enjoying Zari, she fits right in with this team. She also seems to be starting to like them. They may mess up time but they are a good group of people. They do need to work on that bathroom situation they have way too many people to only have 1 bathroom. 

As much as I enjoyed Snart and WM, and would love to have him back full time, I've really, really enjoyed seeing both Mick and DP get to shine in their own rights. DP brings more to Mick than you'd ever think to expect, and it's made Mick such a standout and scene stealer. I don't know which Mick moment was my favorite either: holding up Ray's bullies at gunpoint for their candy and allowance, admitting his love of Fiddler, making creepy eyes at little Ray at the newsstand. Mick is such a lovable psychotic criminal.

And, one bathroom for eight people? Yikes. You have tech from 150 years in the future (IIRC) and yet you're stuck with one bathroom? Come on, guys, you have two super genius professors, a mechanical prodigy, and a bunch of other creative oddballs - surely you can add another bathroom to the Waverider!

One slightly off note of the season for me so far has been Stein -

Spoiler

it's obvious that both VG and Stein want to be off the team, and it's also obvious the writers have minimized his screentime to accommodate that. But it's left Stein so sidelined it almost makes me wonder why they've bothered bringing him back at all this year. Don't get me wrong, I love VG (in this show and all of his many other roles) and wish he would decide to stay - but it's clear they're phasing the character out, and it just seems so awkwardly handled to me. I dunno. MMV, I suppose.

I still want obnoxious frat boy Nate gone, stat. But overall this ep was a lot of fun and I will definitely be rewatching this before next Tuesday.

Edited by Maelstrom
autocorrect is evil
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, quarks said:

I assumed that was Jax - Stein is generally polite, but was all secretive and distracted, and I can't imagine Mick leaving a note. Jax is the most team-centric and polite one of those three.

Jax is also Sara's younger brother at this point so I never questioned that it was him.  It would be a hilarious twist if it was Mick since he is fully behind Captain Sara.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, quarks said:

The note on the tree and Sara's reaction was one of my favorite moments.  They borrowed a high tech time traveling machine but pinned a quickly scribbled note to a tree.  It was just perfect.  

8 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think Zari's lie was the Zelda one. Since Ray called her Z and was going to watch Singing in the rain with her. 

I think it was the musicals as well since she specifically mentioned the last level on Zelda and details that Ray recognized from the game.  But I trust Ray will convert her to a love of musicals.  I'm guessing that she never had much of a chance to watch any before.  

I really love this show.  It's not just that is fun and really knows how to connect you to the characters but it's also so eminently rewatchable.  I almost never rewatch programs anymore.  But over the summer, I found it so easy and enjoyable to linger when I ran across Legends playing again.  Most episodes it didn't matter where I popped in, instantly I was there, having fun.  

Legends doesn't have huge ratings but I swear ten years from now it's going to be the bigger cult classic than any of the other Arrowverse shows.  

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

egends doesn't have huge ratings but I swear ten years from now it's going to be the bigger cult classic than any of the other Arrowverse shows.  

Thats actually a really good point, I can totally see this show being the one that finds a cult audience in the future. It might be least well known of the Arrowverse shows for now, but its such a fun, exciting show, that has so much re-watch value, I can see it being a show that fans will "discover" in the future when it ends up on future Netflix or something. I can totally see it ending up being the undiscovered gem of the franchise and the biggest cult hit. Like the way Firefly was, but with more episodes. 

• Love 8

I thought it was silly that there was a rush to get Stein into the past.  They're in a time machine.  Stein can always appear on time.  Meanwhile, they are trying to keep one of their teammates from fading out of existence.

• Love 5

Legends is already on Netflix.  I was underwhelmed by this ep, but the musical number with the villians and baby groot/ET was a scream.  I wanted Ray to invite Mick to watch a musical.  We should have seen that!  And can Nate die now, please?  Let's get Roy Harper from Arrow to join!

• Love 3
On 11/1/2017 at 8:59 AM, ACW said:

I'm not so sure.  They went out of their way to *not* have the Men in Black explicitly say they were going to kill him earlier (just strongly imply it), or show him actually get shot; and (U.S.?) government agents killing a 7-year-old in 1987 is way darker than this show usually goes.  Unless this was all some convoluted commentary on the infamous "change the guns in E.T. to walkie-talkies" incident?

On another note:  So they wiped Mom Palmer's memory, but not Young Ray's?  Yeah, that'll do wonders for the timeline.

I doubt it'll cause too much damage.  It's easily possible that as he grows older Ray will write off the whole episode as something he imagined or saw in a movie, though coming off this incident will certainly "remind" Ray what happened.  I'm assuming that Sara or someone checked with Gideon about "Is remembering this going to screw up Ray too much" and the answer was presumably "No."

As for young Ray, we see him escaping them.  They find him again.  He feigns surrender and then grabs their keys with the intent of releasing Gumball AKA the mind-controlling alien death-beast.  A shot is fired and the keys drop.  No, we don't see Young Ray get his heart blown through his spine, but the clear implication is that the agents shoot and kill Ray, dumping his body somewhere it'll be found later.

As for the Mominator, one thing to consider is that despite Nate's mention to Zari about the Dominators "tearing people limb from limb" she didn't do anything like that.  She knocked out Sara, read her mind and then cocooned her.  She didn't kill Ray's mother, either, just cocooned and replaced her.  Consider as well why she did that.  The most likely place for Ray to come would be his home.  Once there the Mominator could use her guise to either order Ray to return Gumball to her or read his mind to find out where Gumball was.  In any case she certainly understood that Young Ray had been caring for her youngster and likely meant him no harm.  The only people who really meant (and did) harm to Ray were the agents. 

In truth the "confrontation" at the end was likely somewhat overblown by the Legends.  Mominator wanted her kid back.  As long as should knew he was safe and coming, she'd most likely have waited.  If Zari, Ray and young Ray had left Gumball where he was, she probably wouldn't have even bother with revenge on them at that.  She would surely have tracked down her baby to the agents and then very likely torn them limb from limb, but the people caring for and trying to rescue her child were in no real danger from Mominator.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6

@johntfs, I'm on my phone so I can't quite your post.  I can see your point, but the Legends had dealt with the Dominators before and had no reason to believe that the Mominator would be any different.  Granted, she didn't tear Sarah limb from limb, but anyone else being thrown into the monkey bars would have had their back broken.

In short, they didn't know if Mom knew they were rescuing Gumball, or if she wouldn't attack them anyway.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

@johntfs, I'm on my phone so I can't quite your post.  I can see your point, but the Legends had dealt with the Dominators before and had no reason to believe that the Mominator would be any different.  Granted, she didn't tear Sarah limb from limb, but anyone else being thrown into the monkey bars would have had their back broken.

In short, they didn't know if Mom knew they were rescuing Gumball, or if she wouldn't attack them anyway.

Of course the Legends had no reason to think she wouldn't hurt them.  Figure Mom was using her telepathy on various humans to look for signs of her offspring.  When she saw Sara had such signs (and likely knew what Dominators were) she attacked and captured Sara to telepathically interrogate her.  I'm not criticizing for Legends for their beliefs about Dominators, more commenting as a member of the audience based on what the Mom was actually doing and how she chose to do it.

After not caring for Zari's debut, I liked her a lot better here.

In the debut Zari is something of an antagonist, or at least someone not willing to accept the role the Legends effectively assigned to her (victim they need to rescue/protect).  Everybody's the hero of their own story.  In Zari's story the Legends are a bunch of interlopers that she might be able to use to recover her brother's amulet and then rejoin her family.  In this episode Zari is part of the team and also someone who comes to care about young Ray and even Gumball.  Because of that, we're more able to care about her.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 8
22 hours ago, Maverick said:

Stein, you can't miss the birth of your grandson.  You have a time ship.   I doesn't matter if he left right then or a week from now he'd show up at the same time.

Precisely, that was my exact thought when the scene came up where they took off with the Waverider. In fact, up until that point I was thinking "can it be? "Are they going to have a Legends episode where NOBODY is an idiot to make the plot work?" then that happened "oh, there it is." Worse, since they're in a time ship they could have gone there, witnessed the birth, and then warped back to 5 seconds after they had left 1988 so it was like they had never left, there was no reason the Waverider should have been gone at all.

22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

As for the end . . . kinda hoping we get a situation like the Jason Rusch Firestorm series, where Jax could fuse with anybody to make Firestorm, with the second party riding shotgun. I mean, Mick alone. "HEY! WHAT THE HELL! Warn a guy next time!" {Jax flies and flames the enemies] "What am I saying? This is awesome!! Kid, you missed a guy!!"

I have never known a fan idea so perfect that I just HAVE to see it happen and will be vastly disappointed if it doesn't.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

*This was Brandon Routh's episode, and he delivered in spades. I've always liked Ray (never did see him in Arrow), but I've read a lot of people admitting they hated him when he first showed up with Felicity but have come around on him since.

He was perfectly lovely on Arrow! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!!!!!!! I swooned and squealed like a banshee when I realised he was Felicity's LI in S3.

Haha I will get a lot of disagreement on that but seriously I loved him on Arrow. He was perhaps not as adorable as he is on LoT but I loved him all the same! 

• Love 3