Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Lucky Strikes

Aethera
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, normasm said:

Uncle Chuck, I posed the question myself upthread (holograMorgan)! After all, he hallucinated her in Derek when he was trying to survive...

I guess I didn't phrase my post just right.  I did get the idea of Morgan the ghost from your post and my intent was to agree with you.

• Love 2

For some reason, I think Morgan (and family) moved (back) to Chicago, where his sisters and mother live. It's possible that he has some property in DC (he did used to fix up houses--maybe he rents them out), so that while his primary reason to come in is to deal with Garcia, he might also be checking up on property while in town. Maybe Savannah's (isn't that his wife's name?) family are near DC and she came in too to see them. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

For some reason, I think Morgan (and family) moved (back) to Chicago, where his sisters and mother live. It's possible that he has some property in DC (he did used to fix up houses--maybe he rents them out), so that while his primary reason to come in is to deal with Garcia, he might also be checking up on property while in town. Maybe Savannah's (isn't that his wife's name?) family are near DC and she came in too to see them. 

I didn't watch any of the Morgan-exit arc, but I, too, was always under the assumption that he and his family moved to Chicago. 

• Love 1

I got into this show late, so I never saw the episode they were flashbacking to.  I found this episode to be more suspenseful,  in that, for a while, I wasn't sure if the guy who had been locked up was really the killer.  But then the other option was ridiculous and there was no profiling about him, so there was no explanation as to why this guy would be willing to kill. They said he was easily suggestible, but there was no trigger and no seeing how the relationship developed.

I was quite certain that Morgan's visit was going to be Garcia's hallucination or dream, but no, apparently, Garcia jsut needs to hear Morgan's voice and look into his eyes and she can get over anything.  

And the lawyer and the doctor were over the top ridiculous.

• Love 5

I think the most ridiculous part of the whole episode for me was when Ferrell's lackey abruptly admitted to the 2007 killings, and Rossi reacted as if he had just heard an air-tight confession.

My only reaction to the lackey's "confession" was "what judge would believe that?"

I mean, yeah- the show has made me accept some pretty flimsy confessions before, but that was flimsy by even CM's own standards.

Is that all that's needed for a conviction in the CM universe? A simple, "yeah I did it"?

The more I think about this episode the more I think the two-parter idea makes more sense. The Garcia stuff really hampered the show's ability to show it's case that Ferrell might have been innocent, which makes me think that, perhaps, this episode should have focused more on Garcia battling the demons inside her own head.

I mean, think about it for a second- an episode where, for once, the UnSub isn't a physical person but Garcia's own mind. Very different for the show, I grant and I'm not sure how it could work- but, if it did, the show could do more than just provide lip-service on the effects of PTSD. Also, unlike "Sick Day", the show doesn't need to establish the case to establish its effects on Garcia, since we've already seen the case that affected Garcia.

The B story in this case would be Prentiss and Rossi having to deal with the lawyers and the doctors who have set Ferrell free. Without having to resolve the case in the episode, the writer would have a better ability to actually explain Ferrell's case, mixing in a few scenes were Ferrell doesn't look like deranged lunatic.

Then in mid-season- or episode 300- we pick up the case again and put Ferrell away again. Certainly if there's a former UnSub worthy of being in an iconic episode, it's Ferrell.

• Love 3

I agree this episode would have worked better as 2 parter but to focus more on the case rather than Garcia. I dont think I would be able to watch one whole episode focussing on Garcia’s demons.

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 4

The lawyer was obviously very young, so she might've taken FF's case pro bono to establish herself.  And convinced herself that he was set up.

Upthread, someone asked why FF would start killing again now?  Because only recently was he allowed weekend visits, and he had to groom someone.

I don't know how long it takes to digest human bones, flesh, tissue, but there were 10 fingers from each victim:  5 inside victim 2, 5 inside the subordinate, 10 had to be eaten by FF, so the 5 they were looking for in the warrant had to be victim 2, which seemed to be recent.

ETA, yeah that doctor was dumb.  I wanted to punch her.  He confessed!  And even if he was being manipulated, wouldn't they still be able to get him on an accessory to murder charge?

Edited by roamyn
On 27/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, Chaos Theory said:

No one ever hated Morgan for calling Garcia “baby girl”.

Well I  intensely disliked Morgan for his 150 "baby girl" mentions per season. So that makes at least one person. And my hatred of Morgan/Garcia is equally divided between both characters.

Edited by SSA Emily Prentiss
  • Love 2