Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter Two: Trick Or Treat Freak

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

You mean Mike? Yeah, it was hilariously hypocritical, and it kind of ripped the halo off his head a bit. Kid has a huge heart, but some jerky tendencies. The Duffers sure understand how prepubescents work. It's funny because in any other circumstances he probably would have accepted Max and maybe even had a crush on her too. But he dislikes her for the simple fact that she isn't Eleven and he didn't discover her like he did Eleven. I thought his dislike of her really illustrated how lost he is this season. Will is back, Eleven is gone, and Mike has no idea what to do when he's not trying to pull a Harry Potter and save the day. I absolutely love Mike out of all the characters on the show, and his slow, quiet descent into a kind of depression is really compelling to me.

Oops, yes, I meant Mike.  I'll go back and edit my post.  Mike's reaction is understandable...I just wish he'd move past it sooner rather than later and at least give Max an honest chance to be a friend.

Edited by rove4

Okay, the KFC reference didn't pop out at me so much last episode, and it can be argued that it wa used back in 84, but "cul de sac"?  Nobody used that term back then.  It was "Dead End".  Suddenly, the "cul de sac" expression pisses me off.  ;-)

Anyone else get the LOTR vibe with Samwise being in the cast and Will being caught between 2 worlds?  It's like the ring slipped onto his finger....

• Love 2
On 10/29/2017 at 6:51 AM, Clanstarling said:

Loved that. Did you notice the doctor said something about "chocolate and peanut butter." I couldn't decide if it was just supposed to show he's a bit clueless, not really listening, or if it's another shout out. (the other option is that reeses pieces now include chocolate - I haven't eaten them in years, so I don't know.)

20 hours ago, mledawn said:

OK this confuses me. Reese's pieces are covered in candy chocolate, no? 

According to wikipedia:

Reese's Pieces are a peanut butter candy manufactured by The Hershey Company solely for the North American market; they are oblate spheroid in shape and covered in candy shells that are colored yellow, orange, or brown.

Reese's Pieces are a product extension of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups line; this new product was designed to capitalize on the success of the chocolate-covered peanut butter cups, though unlike the cups, they have no chocolate.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2017 at 8:59 AM, rove4 said:
On 10/31/2017 at 8:11 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

You mean Mike? Yeah, it was hilariously hypocritical, and it kind of ripped the halo off his head a bit. Kid has a huge heart, but some jerky tendencies. The Duffers sure understand how prepubescents work. It's funny because in any other circumstances he probably would have accepted Max and maybe even had a crush on her too. But he dislikes her for the simple fact that she isn't Eleven and he didn't discover her like he did Eleven. I thought his dislike of her really illustrated how lost he is this season. Will is back, Eleven is gone, and Mike has no idea what to do when he's not trying to pull a Harry Potter and save the day. I absolutely love Mike out of all the characters on the show, and his slow, quiet descent into a kind of depression is really compelling to me.

Oops, yes, I meant Mike.  I'll go back and edit my post.  Will's reaction is understandable...I just wish he'd move past it sooner rather than later and at least give Max an honest chance to be a friend.

I think it's fair because Lucas was jealous of El when she joined the group last season and he was ripped apart by a lot of viewers because of it, even when Dustin gave that exposition that he knew Mike longer  and even when he came around in the end.  Even Eleven in future episodes isn't perfect either. Yes Lucas was way more vocal last season to the point of being a tool but he did kind of have a point sometimes. And as we see in the arguing about who was going to dress as Venkman from Ghostbusters, it's actually a good thing that he always stands up for himself whether he's right or wrong.

(Also having a little sister like Erica probably made him more combative!)

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
On 10/27/2017 at 10:38 PM, mmecorday said:

Lucas shouldn't be so hard on Winston Zeddemore. Sure, he was the last to join "The Ghostbusters," but he also had one of the best lines in the whole movie: "Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!" (But if I were a middle school boy, I'd want to be Peter Venkman too.)

When my kid plays "Ghostbusters" he is always Venkman. My husband and I are a mixture of the other guys (though I am frequently Egon because I wear glasses). I can't say I am surprised there was a fight over being him. As an aside, my kid dressed as a Ghostbuster for Halloween. My husband and I joked that he was actually dressing as one of the characters from Stranger Things (he is too young for this show).

• Love 2
9 hours ago, benteen said:

As much as I like Steve, I cannot defend him abandoning his drunk girlfriend alone at a party.  That's like not trying to pull her out of a shark tank.

Oh, I missed that bit. :/ 

9 hours ago, benteen said:

As much as I like Steve, I cannot defend him abandoning his drunk girlfriend alone at a party.  That's like not trying to pull her out of a shark tank.

Future episode spoilers.

Spoiler

Nancy later comments about 'Steve' taking her home, and Steve corrects her that Jonathan took her home.  Steve didn't take her home, but he knows that she went with someone trustworthy.

On 11/1/2017 at 9:26 PM, milizard said:

Okay, the KFC reference didn't pop out at me so much last episode, and it can be argued that it wa used back in 84, but "cul de sac"?  Nobody used that term back then.  It was "Dead End".  Suddenly, the "cul de sac" expression pisses me off.  ;-)

Anyone else get the LOTR vibe with Samwise being in the cast and Will being caught between 2 worlds?  It's like the ring slipped onto his finger....

Where I live (East coast Canada) a "cul-de-sac" and "dead end" are not the same thing. A cul-de-sac has a circle at the end, and a dead end just stops (so you have to do a 3 point turn). I have no idea if these are real definitions or just how the words are used here :) My family moved onto a cul-de-sac in the summer of 1984.

You are so right about the LOTR vibe! I didn't think of it before, but it's a great comparison now that you say so.

• Love 6

I am from Chicago and when I was 5-year's old, in 1980, my sister and I were walking down a nearby suburban street with a sign calling the street a cul-de-sac. It was exactly as @Fex described above. We were also calling Kentucky Fried Chicken KFC then too. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Fex said:

Where I live (East coast Canada) a "cul-de-sac" and "dead end" are not the same thing. A cul-de-sac has a circle at the end, and a dead end just stops (so you have to do a 3 point turn). I have no idea if these are real definitions or just how the words are used here :) My family moved onto a cul-de-sac in the summer of 1984.

That's always been my understanding of the difference between a cul-de-sac and dead end. 

I find it interesting how varied our familiarity or experience of certain terms and expressions are. The English speaking part of the continent is  wide spread and diverse. It's been my experience, moving around the US as much as I have, that some things that were regional eventually spread out to the rest of the country - and then the World. Even before the internet. :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Fex said:

You are so right about the LOTR vibe! I didn't think of it before, but it's a great comparison now that you say so.

That makes complete sense in Canada--especially in the East.  I'm in lower Michigan, and have traveled to Indiana quite a lot.  Cul de sac's weren't common, (as you describe,and I concur about the little turn around) and they were called dead ends until HGTV days.

• Love 1
On 10/28/2017 at 1:08 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm glad he confided in Mike.

The Will/Mike friendship was one of my favorite parts of season 2. Loved their heart-to-heart in this episode. I hope Will gets some respite from his trials in season 3.

• Love 2
On 10/27/2017 at 11:17 AM, SeanC said:

How did Jonathan get a plastered Nancy into her house without her parents noticing?

I want to know this too. My parents would have been all over this situation before I (and my knight in shining armor) even got in the door! Of course, The Wheelers seem to be completely clueless about everything that happens under their roof. 

On 10/27/2017 at 0:23 PM, blueray said:

When he couldn't get it at first, I thought she snuck out, which is what most shows do at this point. It was nice to see that they didn't go with the usual and have her still be there. I was expecting she'd go out as a ghost and the boys(well at least Mike) see her from a distance. I was glad that they went with Will talking to Mike about what he is going through. He is perfect friend to really talk too. I'm think he is really seeing it and going at least mentally there. Its far worse then PTSD, which he has as well.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was relieved she didn’t sneak out and giggled at Hop’s feeble attempts to get her out of the room. 

I loved the scene with Will and Mike too....it’s great that Will has someone to talk to. 

On 10/27/2017 at 2:34 PM, ghoulina said:

Poor Steve. Never thought I'd say that. I think Nancy initially thought - settle down, date the safe boy, do good in school, life will get back to normal. But I think over time, her guilt has grown and grown and she can't take pretending things are normal any more. It probably not only bothers her that Steve doesn't seem to be faking, but I think after everything they went through, she just developed a stronger bond with Jonathan. 

I still continue to be impressed with the acting from the youth on this show. Hats off to the casting dept for finding these gems. They never come off cliche and unbelieaveable. Natalia Dyer REALLY sold being drunk at that party. 

Poor Steve indeed! He looked crushed to find out that she really doesn’t love him! I just wish he hadn’t left her alone at that party while she was drunk. I get why he did, but that could have ended really badly if this was a different show. I feel like poor Nancy might crack before this season is over. 

I agree that these young actors are pretty amazing. And I thought the same thing about Ms. Dyer. I think acting drunk convincingly is a lot harder than it looks and she nailed it. 

On 10/27/2017 at 3:04 PM, VCRTracking said:

I had so many feels seeing Eleven "visit" Mike without him being able to see her.

Me too...my poor heart. 

On 10/28/2017 at 9:18 PM, AuxArx said:

"Presumptuous...that's good right?  Is is good?  Is it bad?...."

Poor kid; you could tell when she called him that that he didn't have a clue what it meant!

Lol! Loved that! 

On 10/29/2017 at 9:36 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

And even though I mentioned something similar in the last episode thread about things lesser shows would do, I like how super drunk Nancy didn't try to kiss or make a move on Jonathan while he was taking her home. I don't know how many times I have seen other shows/movies pull that sort of thing.

Me too! I was SO happy they didn’t go there. 

On 10/30/2017 at 10:04 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved that when Hopper came home late, he didn't open the door to the other room or force Eleven to come outside. There's something to be said for respecting someone else's privacy, even kids who had no privacy while they were being experimented on.

So much this! Even if she hadn’t been experimented on, I think giving kids privacy (within reason, of course) is a huge thing, especially preteens and teenagers. They’re trying to figure out who they are and becoming adults and everyone needs space and privacy. Respect is a two way street, and I like that Hop seems to get that. 

Lastly, on an unrelated different note, Lucas’ little sister was an adorable gem. Such sass! 

• Love 1
Just now, SparklesBitch said:

I want to know this too. My parents would have been all over this situation before I (and my knight in shining armor) even got in the door! Of course, The Wheelers seem to be completely clueless about everything that happens under their roof.

Remember the basement has its own door (Mike, Eleven, and Dustin used it last season right before Brenner and co. came for them). I can fanwank that Jonathan snuck Nancy in through that. That door seems to be remembered only when it's convenient.

3 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

The Will/Mike friendship was one of my favorite parts of season 2. Loved their heart-to-heart in this episode. I hope Will gets some respite from his trials in season 3.

I love that Will is the only one who seems to notice or at least  acknowledge that Mike is having an emotional meltdown, because he himself is having one too. Everyone else has gone on with their lives to some degree, with the exception of those two (and Nancy). I love that we finally saw Will's friendship with the other kids. You can see how he plays peacemaker and how easygoing he is (being okay with Max coming along, trying to smooth over the Ghostbusters costume argument).

You'd think Mike's parents would catch a clue that their son is acting out majorly, but I guess since they don't know how attached Mike was to Eleven, they don't realize how lost the poor kid is. His hissy fit at Max coming along was hilarious to me. Kid has a heart the size of Texas, but he sure can be a jerk in the way only tweens can be.

I liked the parallel in this episode to last season's Holly, Jolly episode. In that episode, Dustin and Lucas are walking behind Mike and Eleven. Lucas is seething that Eleven is getting all of Mike's attention, while Mike is too enthralled by Eleven to notice. You literally have the same setup in this episode, except it's reversed. Lucas and Dustin are fascinated by Max, while Will and Mike trail behind, the latter pissy that she's there. It was a brilliant callback.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Me too! I was SO happy they didn’t go there. 

Funnily enough i was watching Chicago Fire last night and they did just that clichéd move. Sad drunken woman kisses the guy who was trying to get her home safely at a totally inappropriate time.

This episode was the only one that was "off" by the Duffers and it's a petty detail BUT, I grew up in the upper Midwest in the 80's. Nobody in a small town in Indiana is having that Party at someone's house with a keeger. We knew better than to tip off anyone of an underaged drinking party. It would have been in a corn field or back road somewhere. (Beer off the tailgate).

Like I said it's petty but that's how things were in the rural midwest back then.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Littlebitofcheese said:

This episode was the only one that was "off" by the Duffers and it's a petty detail BUT, I grew up in the upper Midwest in the 80's. Nobody in a small town in Indiana is having that Party at someone's house with a keeger. We knew better than to tip off anyone of an underaged drinking party. It would have been in a corn field or back road somewhere. (Beer off the tailgate).

Like I said it's petty but that's how things were in the rural midwest back then.

Hell, as an 80s kid in general we were liking a lot of stuff from the 70s(not just Star Wars) as much as the 80s. 70s shows were always in reruns and 70s movies were shown on TV constantly.

Someone pointed this out on Tumblr. This is Mike from the season 1 finale:

stranger-things-season-2-mike.jpg

This is Mike from this episode's flashback which is supposed to take place HOURS LATER:

mike-fgfgdf.png?strip=all&w=634

I'd like to think losing Eleven aged him a year in that time!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Littlebitofcheese said:

Even if that is true, the high school house party kegger is a staple of 80's high school movies. And the crazy high quality costumes fit in perfectly with that. That one guy's Cobra Kai costume was awesome.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2017 at 10:31 AM, Enigma X said:

I am from Chicago and when I was 5-year's old, in 1980, my sister and I were walking down a nearby suburban street with a sign calling the street a cul-de-sac. It was exactly as @Fex described above. We were also calling Kentucky Fried Chicken KFC then too. 

There was a show that ran on T.V. for a long time called Knots Landing, which ran from 1979 until 1993. The idea of the show was built around the idea that these people were neighbors that lived on a cul de sac in suburban California. I didn't watch the show, so I don't know if they actually said the words "cul de sac" but the idea has been a pretty popular planning method for suburbs built in the United States since the mid-20th century.

What I find curious is that Hawkin's is supposed to be a quiet farm town with limited opportunities, but it also seems to having these sprawling subdivisions. But a lot of shows are inconsistent about the fictional towns they're set in.

I thought that Hawkins was supposed to be a rust belt town, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It looks more like it's a farm town gaining favor as a bedroom community, but because it's a bedroom community, those who aren't white collar people that can commute to their office job in the city are stuck with limited options.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

Just adding my little data point to the discussion...I was a kid in the eighties in Oklahoma.  Our house was on a cul de sac, and we definitely called it that at the time!  I can still hear my Mom hollering after me..."don't leave the cul de sac without telling me first!" (As I ran out the door to play with all the neighborhood kids....)

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

OMG, I thought she was Olive Oil.  

Olive Oyl would have been wearing a red blouse.

On 11/8/2017 at 7:25 AM, Enigma X said:

Knots Landing was my mom's favorite nighttime soap

It was my mom's too. She liked that it was about "regular" people who weren't rich like the other nighttime soaps. They took out the trash to the curb and stuff like that.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
On 2017-11-8 at 1:46 AM, methodwriter85 said:

What I find curious is that Hawkin's is supposed to be a quiet farm town with limited opportunities, but it also seems to having these sprawling subdivisions. But a lot of shows are inconsistent about the fictional towns they're set 

I find it funny that Hawkins is  small town, but there is this hugh lab there. And yet none of our main characters have ever really crossed path with lab employees or their families in everyday life. That building is huge though and would probably the major employer in the area. 

1 hour ago, Nozycat said:

Why does Dustin speak as if he has a mouth full of marbles?  Have I missed something?  I am finding him very hard to understand and thought he had braces at first, but looks like not.

The actor was born with a condition that affects the development of teeth and bones. In Season 1 he didn't have a few front teeth at the top of his mouth. He had false ones in Season 2.

1 hour ago, Nozycat said:

Why does Dustin speak as if he has a mouth full of marbles?  Have I missed something?  I am finding him very hard to understand and thought he had braces at first, but looks like not.

Last year I blamed the missing teeth. This year the character's have grown in, although I think the actor is still wearing false teeth, which might explain it.

3 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Thank you both.  I thought it might have been to do with a storyline but I get it now.  

Well, it sort of is as well - they made Dustin have the same condition. It is mentioned in the pilot.

On 10/29/2017 at 7:54 AM, SeanC said:

My assumption was that the hunter who saw Eleven in the woods and got KO'd via flying squirrel reported what he saw to the police (i.e., Hopper), and Hopper understood the significance of it.

I totally thought she killed that dude.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, milizard said:

I lived on a cul-de-sac beginning in 1975. Seattle suburb. And yes, round at the end as others have mentioned. AWESOME for kid neighborhood antics like games of kick the can, stickball, and riding bikes.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:20 PM, LilJen said:

I lived on a cul-de-sac beginning in 1975. Seattle suburb. And yes, round at the end as others have mentioned. AWESOME for kid neighborhood antics like games of kick the can, stickball, and riding bikes.

Again, not saying they didn't exist.  They just weren't widely known as "cul de sacs".   They were called dead ends back then, at least here in the midwest.  They no longer use "dead end" on signs here, but they say "no outlet" instead.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I ever saw a sign that read "cul de sac", and at the time never even heard of the term before.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, milizard said:

Again, not saying they didn't exist.  They just weren't widely known as "cul de sacs".   They were called dead ends back then, at least here in the midwest.  They no longer use "dead end" on signs here, but they say "no outlet" instead.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I ever saw a sign that read "cul de sac", and at the time never even heard of the term before.

We called them "circles" or "courts."

• Love 1
11 hours ago, milizard said:

I think location has a lot to do with it. I'd never heard "dead end" used for what I knew as a cul de sac from childhood (a street with a turn around at the end), but I was mostly west coast.

So much of this is anecdotal, so here's mine:  I'm from the Midwest and would have been a little older than Nancy (I was a junior in college in the fall of 1984), but I think the popularity of the TV show Knots Landing (ran from 1979 - 1993) was largely responsible for the entrance of the term cul de sac into the popular lexicon nationwide.  As such, I don't find it outside the realm of possibility that it would be used in small town Indiana in 1984.  The show was massively popular and would have been on for five years by then.  From Wikipedia:  "The series peaked during the 1983–84 season with a 20.8 rating (finishing in 11th place) and a 20.0 rating for the 1984–85 season (when it finished 9th)." 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2017 at 5:25 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I find it funny that Hawkins is  small town, but there is this hugh lab there. And yet none of our main characters have ever really crossed path with lab employees or their families in everyday life. That building is huge though and would probably the major employer in the area.

That was one of the things brought up in the recent Stranger Things Honest Trailer(which is great by the way).

3 hours ago, mahree said:

So much of this is anecdotal, so here's mine:  I'm from the Midwest and would have been a little older than Nancy (I was a junior in college in the fall of 1984), but I think the popularity of the TV show Knots Landing (ran from 1979 - 1993) was largely responsible for the entrance of the term cul de sac into the popular lexicon nationwide.  As such, I don't find it outside the realm of possibility that it would be used in small town Indiana in 1984.  The show was massively popular and would have been on for five years by then.  From Wikipedia:  "The series peaked during the 1983–84 season with a 20.8 rating (finishing in 11th place) and a 20.0 rating for the 1984–85 season (when it finished 9th)." 

I'm surprised so many people here talk about Knots Landing.  I didn't know anyone who watched that.  The #1 show seemed to be Dallas, which my circle didn't watch, either, #2 seemed to be Dynasty, and subsequently the Colby's, which my circle did watch.

On 10/27/2017 at 11:21 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I think it was supposed to be Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday. Nancy totally strikes me as someone who would go on an Audrey kick.

On 10/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, SeanC said:

Nancy was Rebecca de Mornay’s character Lana in Risky Business.  Steve was Tom Cruise in the same film.

It's definitely Lana, although they're somewhat similar:

220px-Audrey_Hepburn_and_Gregory_Peck_on93b921584148d14d7893316d6e832453--risky-

On 10/28/2017 at 10:08 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm glad he confided in Mike. Both are the closest connected to the Upside Down for different reasons, so if anyone would believe him, it's Mike.

His mom and Hopper have been to the Upside-Down (and Will knows that they have), and Jonathon knows it's real.  I can understand wanting to confide in Mike, but there are others who would believe him.  It kind of bugs me when Joyce and Hopper totally dismiss Will's visions as PTSD because that may be part of it, but they know that what he's seeing is real.
=================
ETA: great interview with Ernie Hudson about Winston here.

Edited by jhlipton
Add interview
On 11/18/2017 at 5:43 PM, Nozycat said:

Thank you both.  I thought it might have been to do with a storyline but I get it now.  

Nozycat:  I met the Gaten Matarazzo/Dustin at a Con and he naturally talks like that.  He mentioned having the medical condition (cleidocranial dysplasia) in the Q/A and pointed out that the writers made it a character trait.

Met Caleb McLaughlin/Lucas too.  While Gaten shook my hand, Caleb came out from behind the signing desk to hug me.  One day he'll be even more famous and I'll have a fun story to tell.

• Love 1

Nozycat:  I met the Gaten Matarazzo/Dustin at a Con and he naturally talks like that.  He mentioned having the medical condition (cleidocranial dysplasia) in the Q/A and pointed out that the writers made it a character trait.

Met Caleb McLaughlin/Lucas too.  While Gaten shook my hand, Caleb came out from behind the signing desk to hug me.  One day he'll be even more famous and I'll have a fun story to tell.

Thanks kirkola.

How lovely of Caleb.  They all seem lovely in interviews.

Edited by Nozycat

I'm having deja vu because I swear I remember Steve and Nancy going to a Halloween party last season and I couldn't figure out who they were supposed to be then either.  I looked in the old threads but couldn't find anything. It must have been some other show. Weighing in on the cul de sac/ dead end thing. I've lived on one since I was born and we always called it the dead end. I don't remember anyone around here ever using the word cul de sac. (Live in the south. Tennessee.)

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, jay741982 said:

I can't be the only one who let the credits play to listen to "Ghostbusters" Right?

I did too :-) I have a son who is now 31 but when he was 3/4 years old he played Ghostbusters all the time, he had the costume, proton pack and the trap that Dustin had. He loved the movies and that proton pack became a part of him, it went everywhere with him, he was catching ghost everywhere we went lol. This episode brought back a lot of good memories.

I think Nancy and Steve look like they could be in high school but to me Jonathan looks like he's 30.

Love the throw back to ET with the moms taking pictures of the kids in their costumes.

I couldn't figure out who Steve and Nancy were dressed as.

Poor Steve :( You may have lost the girl but your hair looks great.

Loved the kids arguing about which candy is the best and Dustin and Lucas excitement over Max joining them, so cute and real. 

Yeah Billy run over some kids on bikes you asswipe!

• Love 2